Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Offensive Line Getting Better
(10-20-2022, 03:32 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Almost like if you have 5 guys on the OL who have never played in a game with even 1 of the other guys on the OL before, you should get them some preseason work so you're not learning by losing in the regular season.

That IMO, was one of Zac's bigger mistakes this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Nice. Just need Jonah to heal up and play better and things could really be turning around on Offense.

Our Defense has helped keep the ship afloat while the OL and Offense gained chemistry. Time to reward them and keep 
them fresh on the sideline while we have long drives resulting in TD after TD. Lots of room for improvement but it is nice
seeing it all start to come around all the while Burrow learning to take what the Defense gives him.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 04:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice. Just need Jonah to heal up and play better and things could really be turning around on Offense.

Our Defense has helped keep the ship afloat while the OL and Offense gained chemistry. Time to reward them and keep 
them fresh on the sideline while we have long drives resulting in TD after TD. Lots of room for improvement but it is nice
seeing it all start to come around all the while Burrow learning to take what the Defense gives him.

This is huge imho. 

Know he wants to strike deep often and has the weapons to do so but it's the NFL and they can can take things away from you if you do not force them to play honest. Kudos to Joe for swallowing his pride and taking what's available

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 09:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That IMO, was one of Zac's bigger mistakes this season.

I'm thinking biggest. Even though Collins probably wouldn't have been healthy enough to play, the other four should have. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

[Image: so-beautiful-shia-la-beouf.gif]

To start the season, I was saying that's why I thought they were struggling to protect Burrow, but, in the back of my mind, I had my doubts and was already looking to the offseason to find out ways to improve the line in FA and the draft because then we'd win the Super Bowl EASILY next year.........

With this, I'm hoping they keep improving and we give Burrow time to pick defenses apart! Also opening some holes for Mixon will make our offense UNSTOPPABLE!

WHO-DEY!!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 06:19 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This is huge imho. 

Know he wants to strike deep often and has the weapons to do so but it's the NFL and they can can take things away from you if you do not force them to play honest. Kudos to Joe for swallowing his pride and taking what's available

Upon my rewatch to get info for the La’el thread i definitely peeped Burrow. He was simply throwing too fast for anyone on the defensive line to make a play. And even when the d line finally got push Burrow got thru it and made 2 great plays. The one 3rd down conversion to Boyd and the scramble
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 08:52 PM)Housh Wrote: Upon my rewatch to get info for the La’el thread i definitely peeped Burrow. He was simply throwing too fast for anyone on the defensive line to make a play. And even when the d line finally got push Burrow got thru it and made 2 great plays. The one 3rd down conversion to Boyd and the scramble

was so glad to see him throwing to Boyd more, have been calling for it all year to help open Chase up

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 07:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm thinking biggest. Even though Collins probably wouldn't have been healthy enough to play, the other four should have. 

Last preseason would have mattered little, other teams barley play their starters and they run pretty vanilla defenses, play even a quarter would not have made much difference
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 12:54 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Last preseason would have mattered little, other teams barley play their starters and they run pretty vanilla defenses, play even a quarter would not have made much difference

Actually they played three preseason games, so they could have put the first team OL in for multiple series in each game in order to get them experience together at game speed. Almost all the issues in the first two games arose from communications issues and that even in preseason is something you can get used to at full speed with a new group of players - it really doesn't matter if the other team plays starters in that case. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 01:01 AM)Joelist Wrote: Actually they played three preseason games, so they could have put the first team OL in for multiple series in each game in order to get them experience together at game speed. Almost all the issues in the first two games arose from communications issues and that even in preseason is something you can get used to at full speed with a new group of players - it really doesn't matter if the other team plays starters in that case. 

All the fans say this, but all the players and coaches say they don't really get much out of pre-season play. They say they get much more in going against our own 1's on defense in practice. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 12:54 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Last preseason would have mattered little, other teams barley play their starters and they run pretty vanilla defenses, play even a quarter would not have made much difference

In normal seasons, I would totally agree. With four new starters, I just feel it would have been beneficial for them to play against someone other than their teammates. They needed to work on communication and getting the feel of how the guy next to you sees things and how they execute. Back when Moby Dick was still a minnow and I was still at playing weight, I played next to a C and T that I had played together since little league with. It was definitely an advantage, we could almost finish each other's sentences. I just think at the NFL level, that would be even more critical. I dunno, my experience doesn't go beyond 90s high school playing, admittedly. 

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 10:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: In normal seasons, I would totally agree. With four new starters, I just feel it would have been beneficial for them to play against someone other than their teammates. They needed to work on communication and getting the feel of how the guy next to you sees things and how they execute. Back when Moby Dick was still a minnow and I was still at playing weight, I played next to a C and T that I had played together since little league with. It was definitely an advantage, we could almost finish each other's sentences. I just think at the NFL level, that would be even more critical. I dunno, my experience doesn't go beyond 90s high school playing, admittedly. 

Agree 4 out of 5 new starters is a unique situation and deserves all the reps than can get imo. They didn't know the coaches yet, the system, or each others tendencies even and that just does not happen overnight. If its a cohesive unit already losing nobody or only replacing one player it would be much different

Once again 4 out of 5 were new and one spot was up for grabs still between a rookie and a 2nd year player. 

Not to mention they're  expected to play as a unit and protect the Bengals most valuable commodity Joe Burrow, and that is paramount.   

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 06:19 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This is huge imho. 

Yeah, Burrow wanted to just go out and destroy Defenses and that is just not going to happen right off the bat in the NFL
with 4 new starters on the OL and Defenses having watched tons of film on you. You have to be versatile and take what 
Defenses give you, if they take away the deep pass, beat them short with the Slants, short Fades, short Curls etc.

This is what he did against the Saints and as we all saw, Chase can still take it to the house, so no big deal.

(10-20-2022, 08:52 PM)Housh Wrote: Upon my rewatch to get info for the La’el thread i definitely peeped Burrow. He was simply throwing too fast for anyone on the defensive line to make a play. And even when the d line finally got push Burrow got thru it and made 2 great plays. The one 3rd down conversion to Boyd and the scramble

Also nice seeing the wrinkle with Mixon in the passing game in the Slot on our first TD.

(10-20-2022, 09:42 PM)Go Cards Wrote: was so glad to see him throwing to Boyd more, have been calling for it all year to help open Chase up

Yeah, it cannot just be Chase and Tee that Burrow targets. Needs to be whoever is open, find the open man.

Be that point Guard Joe. Mellow

(10-21-2022, 10:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: In normal seasons, I would totally agree. With four new starters, I just feel it would have been beneficial for them to play against someone other than their teammates. They needed to work on communication and getting the feel of how the guy next to you sees things and how they execute. Back when Moby Dick was still a minnow and I was still at playing weight, I played next to a C and T that I had played together since little league with. It was definitely an advantage, we could almost finish each other's sentences. I just think at the NFL level, that would be even more critical. I dunno, my experience doesn't go beyond 90s high school playing, admittedly. 

I agree as well, this was different with 4 new starters. It clearly took much longer than we all expected for the OL to come 
together because we didn't try and get them some chemistry in the Preseason.

(10-21-2022, 11:04 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree 4 out of 5 new starters is a unique situation and deserves all the reps than can get imo. They didn't know the coaches yet, the system, or each others tendencies even and that just does not happen overnight. If its a cohesive unit already losing nobody or only replacing one player it would be much different

Once again 4 out of 5 were new and one spot was up for grabs still between a rookie and a 2nd year player. 

Not to mention they're  expected to play as a unit and protect the Bengals most valuable commodity Joe Burrow, and that is paramount.   

Great post Go Cards. Wink
Reply/Quote
From PFF after the Falcons game:

Rookie spotlight: Rookie left guard Cordell Volson had arguably his best game as a pro. On 43 pass-blocking snaps, he allowed just one pressure. It was the third game this season where he’s allowed one or fewer pressures.

Offensive line spotlight: After a slow start to the season, the Bengals' offensive line has completely turned it around as of late. They combined to allow only seven pressures, with no single player allowing more than two. That’s a far cry from other points this season.

Reply/Quote

How is Collins so low if he only gave up 1 pressure, and we barely ran the ball?

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 11:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
How is Collins so low if he only gave up 1 pressure, and we barely ran the ball?

Good question....did he have any penalties? I can't remember.

Good look from Jonah though..  hope that trend continues.

Reply/Quote

Maybe the sack caused by Karras early snap?

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 12:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Maybe the sack caused by Karras early snap?

Yeah, that’s probably part of it. I just noticed those numbers were only true pass sets.

Reply/Quote
When they say communication is better they aren’t lying

Blitzes are being picked up more intelligently and faster than ever before. Falcons blitzed a good amount and after a while it started hurting then because they just weren’t getting pressure anyway.

I think teams will have to guard us how teams must guard the Chiefs. Just rush 3 play off and try to limit points, not stop points. I’m taking our defense over the Chiefs too fwiw
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 10:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: From PFF after the Falcons game:

Rookie spotlight: Rookie left guard Cordell Volson had arguably his best game as a pro. On 43 pass-blocking snaps, he allowed just one pressure. It was the third game this season where he’s allowed one or fewer pressures.

Offensive line spotlight: After a slow start to the season, the Bengals' offensive line has completely turned it around as of late. They combined to allow only seven pressures, with no single player allowing more than two. That’s a far cry from other points this season.

Sweet, Cordell had the bad penalty at the one yard line but other that and the one pressure he played pretty great
again and to think he is just a 4th round rookie makes it even more impressive. Dude was a major steal.

Eh, I saw Jonah give up a bad sack I thought. I think they are blaming Collins for Karras's mess up too.

Cappa had to go against Grady Jarrett and damn is that guy good. Was a great matchup, strength vs strength.

Karras and Cappa won most of the time.
Reply/Quote