Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread***
Davis could play on one leg and be an upgrade over Nickerson.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Everyone is used to over a decade of “Marvin Lewis drafts” and from what I can tell, this standard is still in place. This is a Zac Taylor draft and he doesn’t draft anything like Marvin. Marvin wasn’t a bad coach with respect to the draft — but Zac has a new scheme in mind: Run the ball and stop the run. This iteration of the Bengals will look somewhat like 2009 but Joe Mixon is lots better than Cedric Benson.

Thanks man, i like some reality going on, this hate on our new Head Coach that hasn't even coached a game yet is getting WAY out of hand. This is a great Draft in my opinion at positions of need and Taylor is picking the players he needs for his system to succeed and get us wins and a Playoff win and possibly a Superbowl win that we have waited forever for.

People have certain preferences as far as players go i understand, but Taylor and company addressed our weaknesses. To act like they didn't and act like getting the best most versatile OT in college, the best blocking TE and one of the top Linebackers is not addressing our weaknesses is lunacy.

Some people need to pull their head out of their azz and understand what was wrong with our team here.

Taylor can see it, it was frustrating for years when Marv didn't see it.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What the hell? I love our Draft, it isn't homerism here. I hated the Og pick back in the day, hated the Walton pick last year. Davis isn't terrible, guy led Auburn in tackles and takes great angles and wraps up. WTF is you problem? I don't get mad very often but you seriously are pissing me off here. We needed to upgrade the O-line and Linebacker position while adding talent...

Newsflash, they did it dumbazz. Don't **** with me.

I agree and I think Davis will make the team and play on special teams
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:03 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I agree and I think Davis will make the team and play on special teams

I also like Worley still as he is smart.

We aren't as bad off at LB as people make out with Haslett now gone replaced by Tem, Pratt and Davis.
Reply/Quote
Hey Everyone:

I know most of you have done so already but for those members that have not,
Please click on the link and support the forum.  We need your help to keep the board funded for two years.  The draft displayed how much members depend on this board.  Even if it is only 5-10$ it will help.
thanks.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Help-keep-the-Bengals-Board-going-strong-through-2021
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think, as far as the linebackers, at this point you either trade for one or sign something left out there. Telvin Smith is someone I'd like to go after. Coughlin isn't happy with him or Jalen Ramsey for not being at voluntary workouts. Could be someone to target. Darron Lee as well.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not saying Deshaun Davis is a future All Pro but what did you expect from a 6th rounder?

This guy knows how to diagnose plays and tackle. Something we desperately need from the Linebacker position.

Understood, but, there were plenty of others out there still available and comparatively were better. Doesn't matter what I or the draft "pundits" think though. 
Reply/Quote
Giants took my dude DT Chris Slayton from Syracuse.
Reply/Quote
Dammit! I'm so mad we weren't able to get the moon, stars and sun, make every team give up their best players for our worst players and make the steelers pay the salaries of ALL our players AND pay each and every one of us here on thebengalsboard.com bonus money to whine about the Bengals! IT'S NOT FAIR! 

On the other hand I like most of this draft. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out. If it does then GREAT! Life doesn't end for me and my cat will still want feed three times a day, the grass will still grow and warm showers will still feel good.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:09 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: My prediction of the last pick will be...……..David Sills, WR, West Virginia

Sills went undrafted.  I would not mind at all seeing him brought in as an UDF.  I think he will make a team somewhere as a UDF.  Might as well be us.  :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

He is 4th round because he was an underachiever.  Sometimes these guys get motivated by potential NFL money, and sometimes they do nothing.

No 4th round pick is going to be flawless.

Sometimes it just depends how much. Depending how he plays after his first contract ( if he even makes the team) this is the type of player that gets paid and lays down.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: Dammit! I'm so mad we weren't able to get the moon, stars and sun, make every team give up their best players for our worst players and make the steelers pay the salaries of ALL our players AND pay each and every one of us here on thebengalsboard.com bonus money to whine about the Bengals! IT'S NOT FAIR! 

On the other hand I like most of this draft. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out. If it does then GREAT! Life doesn't end for me and my cat will still want feed three times a day, the grass will still grow and warm showers will still feel good.

You feed your cat 3 times a day?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:05 PM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: You feed your cat 3 times a day?

Good ole Gramps, the greatest random rant poster of all lol
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:26 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Understood, but, there were plenty of others out there still available and comparatively were better. Doesn't matter what I or the draft "pundits" think though. 

It really is all opinion, but the fact is Deshaun Davis led the Auburn Tigers in tackles for years and was a leader for them. A good SEC team with a good Defense and he was a standout that we drafted in the 6th round. I don't find this to be a bad pick and don't understand people acting like Davis is some chump or bad pick in the 6th round...
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks man, i like some reality going on, this hate on our new Head Coach that hasn't even coached a game yet is getting WAY out of hand. This is a great Draft in my opinion at positions of need and Taylor is picking the players he needs for his system to succeed and get us wins and a Playoff win and possibly a Superbowl win that we have waited forever for.

People have certain preferences as far as players go i understand, but Taylor and company addressed our weaknesses. To act like they didn't and act like getting the best most versatile OT in college, the best blocking TE and one of the top Linebackers is not addressing our weaknesses is lunacy.

Some people need to pull their head out of their azz and understand what was wrong with our team here.

Taylor can see it, it was frustrating for years when Marv didn't see it.

I like the character of this coaching staff. It really shone through in the draft interviews, as well as in the character of our picks. This is about building talent, sure, but it's also about establishing an identity as a team and a culture as an organization. Props to Taylor. He knows exactly what he's doing, and I like it.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:21 PM)Bengals731 Wrote: We can't say what the grade is yet for this draft.. they took guys from THEIR board who they had ranked higher than most teams. I think they got a few impact players and Sample is one of them. I liked this draft by our team 

Sample is not an impact player. He's a role player.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Two, Germaine Pratt and Deshaun Davis, both great picks IMO.

Two very different styles, but both are quality backers.

Davis brings SEC experience and is a serious thumper. His range could limit him on 3rd downs, but two deep zones should fit him well.

He could a more physical rendition of Dhani Jones.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What the hell? I love our Draft, it isn't homerism here. I hated the Og pick back in the day, hated the Walton pick last year. Davis isn't terrible, guy led Auburn in tackles and takes great angles and wraps up. WTF is you problem? I don't get mad very often but you seriously are pissing me off here. We needed to upgrade the O-line and Linebacker position while adding talent...

Newsflash, they did it dumbazz. Don't **** with me.

He's right. There's no way this was an A+ draft.

It was an, on paper, good solid draft that filled needs. I'd say a good solid C with potential to go B. 

And you do tend to spread the hyperbole pretty thick right after draft time. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hmm...still pretty nervous about our LB situation then.

I wonder if the coaches feel there's something to work with in Evans and/or Jefferson.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It really is all opinion, but the fact is Deshaun Davis led the Auburn Tigers in tackles for years and was a leader for them. A good SEC team with a good Defense and he was a standout that we drafted in the 6th round. I don't find this to be a bad pick and don't understand people acting like Davis is some chump or bad pick in the 6th round...

Yeah, this guy should be great.

Weaknesses
  • Hip tightness creates sluggishness in transitional movements
  • Mediocre instincts and lack of burst allow blockers to find him too easily
  • Struggles to maneuver through box traffic efficiently
  • Too much guess work and not enough feel for lane choices by running backs
  • Poor speed to range, chase and finish
  • Needs to compliment forceful take-ons with better block slipping
  • Sitting duck waiting to be exploited by passing attacks
Sounds like Hardy Nickerson Jr v2

Reply/Quote