Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PDJ - Bengals Will Prioritize OL in FA
Jeremy Rauch of Fox19 shared a 2-minute interview with Paul Dehner Jr, who said...
Paul Dehner, Jr. Wrote:From what I know, they (Bengals) are going to prioritize the offensive line in free agency
The quote can be found around the 1:10 mark in the following link:
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So, does this mean its WR and no Sewell, even if Sewell is still on the board?
Reply/Quote
They need defensive playmakers from the draft and a few good free agent lineman. Then HOPE that a new offensive scheme has the line looking far better.

Defense to me is more important as the offense has had some good showings that resulted in Ls thanks to the lack of umph on the D.

It’s a shame Burrow got hurt, but there are lots of ways to protect him in 2021 — primarily being an effective running game with Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So, does this mean its WR and no Sewell, even if Sewell is still on the board?

Hard to say, but we know they like to stick to their board (keyword = their).
If WR is the highest on their board and they feel the OL starters are sufficient, I would imagine they could go WR.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So, does this mean its WR and no Sewell, even if Sewell is still on the board?

I don't think you can draw that conclusion at this point.  Draft will depend on what our draft position is and who we gain and lose in free agency

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:38 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They need defensive playmakers from the draft and a few good free agent lineman. Then HOPE that a new offensive scheme has the line looking far better.

Defense to me is more important as the offense has had some good showings that resulted in Ls thanks to the lack of umph on the D.

It’s a shame Burrow got hurt, but there are lots of ways to protect him in 2021 — primarily being an effective running game with Mixon.

Because Mixon has showcased that throughout his career? Big Grin This guy should return his salary. He's proven he can't run behind whatever line we have constructed for him. We should have put money in the line and use someone other than Mixon at RB. That would have protected Burrow, make any average RB above average - and that's probably all Burrow needs.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:45 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Because Mixon has showcased that throughout his career? Big Grin This guy should return his salary. He's proven he can't run behind whatever line we have constructed for him. We should have put money in the line and use someone other than Mixon at RB. That would have protected Burrow, make any average RB above average - and that's probably all Burrow needs.

It’s too late now so run those tires on the dude while we can...
Reply/Quote
I think.its Kyle Pitts or Jamar Chase in RD 1
They have no playmakers at TE or a Tyrek Hill type at
WR. I guess this elimanates Alex Erickson returning.
Darn.
Reply/Quote
This is probably the best. Because it's opens up the draft to get a couple playmaker because as much as I love Boyd and Higgins, neither one are consistent big play guys. Of course if Sewell is there, you take him, but if you can secure some solid Olinemen, you take BPA.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:45 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Because Mixon has showcased that throughout his career? Big Grin This guy should return his salary. He's proven he can't run behind whatever line we have constructed for him. We should have put money in the line and use someone other than Mixon at RB. That would have protected Burrow, make any average RB above average - and that's probably all Burrow needs.

Mixon put up 1400+ yards from scrimmage both in 2018 and 2019.
He did it behind two bad OLs.
He has the capability.

The problem is they have a bunch of guys who are now bad at run blocking.
Also, the Bengals have the 12th most passing plays in the NFL at 60.8%.
The increased passing isn't always because of teams playing from behind, as Pittsburgh has 2nd highest pass percentage (63.91%) but has 12 wins on the season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
They probably realize at this point Sewell won't be there, because the Jets will likely take him. I'd say if he's there, they will take him, otherwise it should probably be Chase.
Reply/Quote
I’ll be pretty proud of this front office if they drop some money on OL in FA. 2 years of heavy FA investment is unheard of around here and would be a pleasant surprise. Despite the bad records of late, I do feel they are TRYING to change.
Reply/Quote
I’m guessing they believe Sewell won’t be there and one of the WR’s or Pitts is the pick.

Music to my ears. Give Burrow protection (in FA) and weapons and he’ll win us a lot of games. Maybe not next year, but soon.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:45 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Because Mixon has showcased that throughout his career? Big Grin This guy should return his salary. He's proven he can't run behind whatever line we have constructed for him. 

Why are you such a troll when it comes to Mixon?

Over the last three years Mixon is 9th in the NFL in rushing yards despite missing 11 games. 7th in yards per game.

Now tell me where you rank our O-line over the last 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mixon put up 1400+ yards from scrimmage both in 2018 and 2019.
He did it behind two bad OLs.
He has the capability.

The problem is they have a bunch of guys who are now bad at run blocking.
Also, the Bengals have the 12th most passing plays in the NFL at 60.8%.
The increased passing isn't always because of teams playing from behind, as Pittsburgh has 2nd highest pass percentage (63.91%) but has 12 wins on the season.

Don’t bother with him. He’s moved his irrational hatred of Geno over to Mixon. Guy honestly thinks Gio is a better RB.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t bother with him. He’s moved his irrational hatred of Geno over to Mixon. Guy honestly thinks Gio is a better RB.

I must be a Gio hater, but I haven't been that impressed with him for quite a few years now.
He hasn't had more than 458 rushing yards in a season since 2015.
I like him as a COP back and backup but not as good RB1.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ll be pretty proud of this front office if they drop some money on OL in FA. 2 years of heavy FA investment is unheard of around here and would be a pleasant surprise. Despite the bad records of late, I do feel they are TRYING to change.

We won't see anything like we did last year when we signed a bunch of guys.  But just one top tier O-lineman would make a big difference.

I also think coaching could help a lot.  When I see our O-line get beat in pass rush it is more often an inability to pick up a blitz or stunt than it is guys just getting beaten one-on-one.  Missed assignments have led to more sacks than than guys getting manhandled.
Reply/Quote
Who needs an O-line? Roll the dice with what we have. Burrow has another knee.
Reply/Quote

I think Sewell is well out of reach at this point.  There will be two or 3 playmakers at WR that will have a decent chance at being around when we pick.  Being proactive in FA at OL is probably a wise way to go.  It may not be impossible for Sewell to fall to us, but latching any hope for OL improvement to him is a bad idea.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:27 PM)samhain Wrote: I thin Sewell is well out of reach at this point.  There will be two or 3 playmakers at WR that will have a decent chance at being around when we pick.  Being proactive in FA at OL is probably a wise way to go.  It may not be impossible for Sewell to fall to us, but latching any hope for OL improvement to him is a bad idea.

I’ve seen 5 different mock drafts this week from major draft sites like CBS and all had Sewell available at 5. So, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that the team will have a shot at him.

My point is, it sounds like the FO has made up their mind about signing o-line and drafting a “playmaker” before the season is over and the draft process really gets under way. What happened to making a draft board and drafting the best player?
Reply/Quote