Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PDJ - Bengals Will Prioritize OL in FA
(01-03-2021, 11:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Pitts would be wasted in this offense.

I wouldn't count on a big Oline signing in FA. Remember, we couldn't get any of the top lb's last year we swung and missed out on all of them. That was with Burrow on his way.

I'm not sold. The FA signings last offseason were nice, but many felt like they were in positions that weren't all that pressing.

Who was paying Trae? Billings was coming off his best year and would have cost far less if we really needed a NT, which at that time we still had Tupou, who also was coming off his best years.

We let go of our best guard for XSF who wasn't anything to right home about.

We were active in FA last offseason, but the signings if we can admit it were questionable.

Even Bell wasn't a need.

Pitts wouldn't be wasted if Taylor just used him as a WR or changed his playcalling to have more two-TE sets. But those are big ifs.
That's why I think Chase or Smith would be more likely drafted over Pitts.

Personally, I dislike always resorting to the draft to get an upgrade on OL, as OL seem to take a while to develop. Perhaps that's because of just the adjustment from college to pro, and/or because the Bengals keep getting bad ones.
It's time the Bengals pay for some true OL talent though. They were 24th in the league in terms of OL payroll.
Four of the Top 5 teams spending on OL are going to the playoffs. The only one not is LV, who still went 8-8.
Pay for 1-2 proven OL to not only help protect Burrow but also hopefully help turn the run game into something viable.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It hurts teams that free agency comes before the draft. In free agency you can target your most serious position of need, but in the draft you really need to take the best player available instead of reaching for a lower rated player based on position. Obviously teams take positions of need into account when ranking players on their draft board, and after the first couple of rounds it probably doesn't matter that much. But when you are talking about a top five pick in the first round it can be a huge mistake to reach based on position.

If the draft came first teams could take the best players available and then fill in the roster holes in free agency. But players don't like that because desperation is what drives big free agent contracts, and if a team has already addressed its biggest need in the draft they will not be as desperate to sign free agents.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think.its Kyle Pitts or Jamar Chase in RD 1
They have no playmakers at TE or a Tyrek Hill type at
WR. I guess this elimanates Alex Erickson returning.
Darn.

Jamar Chase is not even remotely close to the type of WR that Hill is.

This WR class is so deep that I wouldn't take one at 5.  If you want to slide back and take Pitts I'd be ok with that, but sitting at 5 and taking one isn't a great idea.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:55 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Being a Vols/SEC fanatic, I can tell you Pitts is WAY more than a jump ball WR. He is fast, runs good routes and has great hands. AND he can win jump balls. It's just a part of his talents and far from his only talent. He is a matchup nightmare for LBs and even safetys.

(01-04-2021, 01:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Jamar Chase is not even remotely close to the type of WR that Hill is.

This WR class is so deep that I wouldn't take one at 5.  If you want to slide back and take Pitts I'd be ok with that, but sitting at 5 and taking one isn't a great idea.  

Pitts is worth taking at 5. Hockenson went 8th in 2019, and Pitts is the best TE prospect in years. Hockenson is already a Pro Bowler in only his second season. A dynamic TE in today’s game is basically as valuable as a WR.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pitts is worth taking at 5. Hockenson went 8th in 2019, and Pitts is the best TE prospect in years. Hockenson is already a Pro Bowler in only his second season. A dynamic TE in today’s game is basically as valuable as a WR.

Arguably more valuable, as having that TE out there helps hide whether it's going to be a run or pass. Will the TE stay in and block or go out for a pass?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It hurts teams that free agency comes before the draft.  In free agency you can target your most serious position of need, but in the draft you really need to take the best player available instead of reaching for a lower rated player based on position.  Obviously teams take positions of need into account when ranking players on their draft board, and after the first couple of rounds it probably doesn't matter that much.  But when you are talking about a top five pick in the first round it can be a huge mistake to reach based on position.

If the draft came first teams could take the best players available and then fill in the roster holes in free agency.  But players don't like that because desperation is what drives big free agent contracts, and if a team has already addressed its biggest need in the draft they will not be as desperate to sign free agents.

Having Bobby Hart under contract for one more year helps. He looks a likely cap casualty but the Bengals can hold onto him until they see how the draft (and rookie camp?) plays out.

CB is more troublesome. I suspect they sign a veteran (a Terrence Newman type) on a one year deal and look to the draft for a long term replacement. Maybe they'll attack CB like they did last year at LB - it's not just WJIII out of contract but also Alexander and Sims. Sims wouldn't have returned anyway, but they'll need to replace his snaps. They were pretty active in the CB bargain bin this time a year ago but none of those (Winston Rose, Tony Brown, Greg Mabin, Torry McTyer, LeShaun Sims etc) panned out and it's not just starters they need but depth as well. They currently only have 2 CBs under contract - the injured Waynes and the injury-prone Phillips. This is where the negligence in failing to collect extra picks during the rebuild hurt. When they had multiple 5th round picks in 2018 they were able to draft Davontae Harris and Darius Phillips and from that Phillips turned into a useful piece. We could do with throwing a handful of picks at the position and seeing what sticks but we only have 8 draft picks.

If they can re-sign Lawson, Edge becomes a less pressing need and they can look for a mid-tier free agent and if that fails a mid-round rusher. Hubbard (3rd round) and Lawson (4th round) were excellent mid-round value picks at Edge, so it's possible.

Add in a G in FA and that would put them in a position to go BPA rounds 1-3. 

The big question for me is what to do with Geno. He costs a lot for his recent production but I'm not sure how they replace him if they cut him.  Maybe they end up keeping him for that reason? It would be quite Bengally.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. It’s the exact opposite. The TE role in today’s game has increased, while the importance of LB has decreased.

The best TE in the league (Kelce) has a far bigger impact than whoever the best LB is these days (Bobby Wagner?)

Nope you are incorrect,  our offense does not prioritize TE and they are rare even today in top 5 I. NFL draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 05:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Nope you are incorrect,  our offense does not prioritize TE and they are rare even today in top 5 I. NFL draft.

If Zac Taylor couldn’t find a way to utilize a dynamic playmaker like Kyle Pitts that would be very telling. But I’m sure he’d be able to because Pitts is an absolutely elite weapon. We’re not talking about CJ Uzomah or Drew Sample here. Anyway, Eifert was tied for 2nd in receptions last season in Taylor’s offense.

As for TE’s not traditionally going top 5? Who cares. Prospects like Pitts don’t come along that often. He’s worth it. He’s the highest graded college pass catcher (not just TE) in the PFF era at 95.9. Kid is a special talent. And he could help make our offense elite like it was in 2015 when Eifert caught 13 TD’s.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mack is an elite pass rusher though. He had 28.5 sacks and 74.5 TFL coming out of college.

Parsons has 6.5 sacks and 18 TFL. I just don’t see an us taking an off the ball LB with a top 5 pick.

You were wondering what LB might have more of an impact than Kelce. The right LB can be a team changer. You could argue that a top 10 pick, no matter what position they play, should at least have the potential to be the next Mack (or Kelce)
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:56 AM)SladeX Wrote: You were wondering what LB might have more of an impact than Kelce. The right LB can be a team changer. You could argue that a top 10 pick, no matter what position they play, should at least have the potential to be the next Mack (or Kelce)

Again, Mack makes such a big impact because he’s one of the best pass rushers in the league. Same for TJ Watt.

Way different value than an off the ball LB.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:41 PM)J24 Wrote: Probably Donald for a 2nd(maybe late first) & 5th. They already have 4 firsts in the next two drafts as well they could Draft Sewell at 2 and move back into the top 10 to draft their QB.

Darnold for a 1st or 2nd? I doubt it
He looks like a 3rd of 4th rounder to me if traded
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jeremy Rauch of Fox19 shared a 2-minute interview with Paul Dehner Jr, who said...
The quote can be found around the 1:10 mark in the following link:

Man, if they spend like they did last year shoring up the OL and getting the trenches as a whole fixed I think we have a 
shot with Burrow at QB and playmakers. This made me feel better, do this while adding your guy Derek Wolfe and OL 
help in FA and we might be able to carry Taylor and company. Possible anyways. 

If Taylor and company still shit the bed you hire someone else and he has a nice, talented team to work with.
Reply/Quote
If this team were to re-sign WJ3 and Carl Lawson...then bring in a really good offensive and defensive lineman in free agency...then draft Seawell...I would be over the moon.

IMO re-signing WJ3 and Carl Lawson is absolutely crucial. If you lose them then you literally lose 2 of the only 3 good players we have on defense. Would be brutal.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If this team were to re-sign WJ3 and Carl Lawson...then bring in a really good offensive and defensive lineman in free agency...then draft Seawell...I would be over the moon.

IMO re-signing WJ3 and Carl Lawson is absolutely crucial. If you lose them then you literally lose 2 of the only 3 good players we have on defense. Would be brutal.

Unfortunately, bringing Lou back reduces the chances of WJ3 coming back. WJ3 is rumored to want to shadow the #1 WR and he won't do that here. I fully expect the team to push hard for Lawson and just rely on a 3rd round comp for WJ3.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 11:12 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Unfortunately, bringing Lou back reduces the chances of WJ3 coming back. WJ3 is rumored to want to shadow the #1 WR and he won't do that here. I fully expect the team to push hard for Lawson and just rely on a 3rd round comp for WJ3.

If they are planning on being active in FA then they can't count on comps. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 02:13 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Having Bobby Hart under contract for one more year helps. He looks a likely cap casualty but the Bengals can hold onto him until they see how the draft (and rookie camp?) plays out.

CB is more troublesome. I suspect they sign a veteran (a Terrence Newman type) on a one year deal and look to the draft for a long term replacement. Maybe they'll attack CB like they did last year at LB - it's not just WJIII out of contract but also Alexander and Sims. Sims wouldn't have returned anyway, but they'll need to replace his snaps. They were pretty active in the CB bargain bin this time a year ago but none of those (Winston Rose, Tony Brown, Greg Mabin, Torry McTyer, LeShaun Sims etc) panned out and it's not just starters they need but depth as well. They currently only have 2 CBs under contract - the injured Waynes and the injury-prone Phillips. This is where the negligence in failing to collect extra picks during the rebuild hurt. When they had multiple 5th round picks in 2018 they were able to draft Davontae Harris and Darius Phillips and from that Phillips turned into a useful piece. We could do with throwing a handful of picks at the position and seeing what sticks but we only have 8 draft picks.

If they can re-sign Lawson, Edge becomes a less pressing need and they can look for a mid-tier free agent and if that fails a mid-round rusher. Hubbard (3rd round) and Lawson (4th round) were excellent mid-round value picks at Edge, so it's possible.

Add in a G in FA and that would put them in a position to go BPA rounds 1-3. 

The big question for me is what to do with Geno. He costs a lot for his recent production but I'm not sure how they replace him if they cut him.  Maybe they end up keeping him for that reason? It would be quite Bengally.

I'd be actually shocked if they don't hold onto Alexander. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 06:52 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Darnold for a 1st or 2nd? I doubt it
He looks like a 3rd of 4th rounder to me if traded

Ok then
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m guessing they believe Sewell won’t be there and one of the WR’s or Pitts is the pick.

Music to my ears. Give Burrow protection (in FA) and weapons and he’ll win us a lot of games. Maybe not next year, but soon.

Interesting point though, say we got 2 good linemen in FA, and Sewell was there at 5, do you still take him? I’ve never seen him play, is he too special to turn down?
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 01:23 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Interesting point though, say we got 2 good linemen in FA, and Sewell was there at 5, do you still take him? I’ve never seen him play, is he too special to turn down?

Yes. I’d be furious if they pass on Sewell for any reason. He’s hand down the best player in the draft not named Trevor Lawrence.

They should prioritize guard in FA anyway, and Sewell is a tackle.

Reply/Quote
If Sewell is gone before we pick, is there another OL worth taking at 5? Is the OL class deep enough where we could still get a solid OL in the second round?
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote