Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF: Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done

Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done: Transform its offensive line from a liability to an average unit and snag LSU wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase with the fifth overall pick. As an added bonus, the Bengals had one of the most underrated signings of free agency in slot cornerback Mike Hilton.

Cincinnati’s offensive line has been one of the five lowest-graded units in the NFL in each of the past four years. In 2020, the group came in at No. 30 in combined offensive line PFF grade. Left tackle Jonah Williams and center Trey Hopkins were the only players who performed fairly well.

Williams, who missed all of his 2019 rookie year due to injury, produced a blocking grade on true pass sets that ranked in the 87th percentile among tackles. Hopkins now ranks 14th in pass-blocking grade over the past two years among qualifying centers. To help out those two, the Bengals signed right tackle Riley Reiff, who was a Minnesota Vikings cap casualty. Last year, he produced a 73.8 PFF grade and ranked 15th among left tackles in pass-blocking snaps played per sack allowed (gave up just one in 2020).

And in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Bengals used their Round 2 selection on Clemson tackle Jackson Carman, who is actually from the Cincinnati area. Carman was a tackle-to-guard convert right from the get-go. He has fantastic movement skills and advanced independent hand usage. He tries to engage by latching on instead of punching in pass protection; once his hands are in the pads, it’s usually game over for the opposition. Carman showed this in Clemson’s College Football Playoff semifinal against a talented crop of Ohio State edge rushers. He played 14 true pass sets in that game and didn’t allow a single pressure.

Before selecting Carman, though, the Bengals made a franchise-altering pick in Round 1 by taking LSU wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase. He was, of course, Joe Burrow’s top target during the Tigers' historic title run in 2019. Those two formed arguably the best QB-WR connection in the history of college football. Burrow and Chase connected on more touchdowns from 20-plus-yard targets (14) than any duo in the seven years of the PFF College era. There are really few bones to pick with Chase’s play. He will be a nightmare to face in the NFL.

Despite missing the end of his rookie campaign following a gruesome knee injury in Week 11, Burrow still finished as the 16th-most valuable quarterback in the NFL. His deep ball wasn’t as finely tuned as in his historic 2019 season at LSU, but he was money on just about every other throw. In fact, he recorded the sixth-best passing grade in 2020 this year on throws of 19 yards or less downfield.

With a better offensive line that isn’t routinely losing reps quickly after the snap, as well as a true deep threat in Ja’Marr Chase, expect Burrow’s deep ball to come to back life in a breakout sophomore campaign for the signal-caller.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-improved-teams-free-agency-2021-nfl-draft
Reply/Quote
Yet a vast amount just cannot see it or just wish not to. For far too many it was Sewell or bust. I am a build from the trenches out guy but there is a truth to this draft that I have noticed a large amount of these boards do not wish to admit to. There was a single consensus #1 caliber WR in this draft...period. There was not a close second. There were highly rated WRs that will be compliments but they are not going to be do it all receivers. They are not built to run short crossing routes without getting smashed. They are edge threats that are not going to exploit the tough parts of the field.

Those same folks will also not admit that Rashawn Slater was really close to Sewell in talent and some even felt Slater was more refined and more NFL ready. The same folks don't have the vision to see that the game of a guy like Christian Darrisaw mirrors very closely to guys like Wirfs who anyone in their right mind would like to have on an O line.

Yes Jonah Williams has had injuries but he has shown his worth when he is on the field. Yes Reiff is on a one year deal but it is a one year deal that sets them up for an extension if things are working out. Trey Hopkins is a good center and should be even better with better play on each side of him. Those hating on Carman simply are not looking objectively at situation. He is a quality player and there is nothing in his history that would say otherwise. Spain over his career has actually graded pretty well until he was under the tutelage of Turner, who is trash as an O line coach.

I believe that a line of Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Carman, Reiff is one that could border on extremely good under a better line coach than Turner and thank goodness we got that.

I believe the jury is out of Fred Johnson. I don't think he has the feet to play LT at the NFL level but I do think under the proper coaching that he could be a pretty decent RT.

I believe they could have a really talented kid in D'Ante Smith. He has the foundation of height and length that cannot be developed along with athletic traits that can continue to be developed. He had already demonstrated some natural strength and nasty demeanor and that should continue to grow as he adds mass and strength in an NFL training program.

There are things to look forward to if people wish to see them.
Reply/Quote
Always good to hear positive reviews.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yet a vast amount just cannot see it or just wish not to. For far too many it was Sewell or bust. .............

Dude.  Give it up.  Just let them bytch.
Reply/Quote
A couple of lines I like:

Quote:Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done: Transform its offensive line from a liability to an average unit and snag LSU wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase...

&

Quote:There are really few bones to pick with Chase’s play. He will be a nightmare to face in the NFL.

It is going to be sweet if opposing defenses struggle mightily to shut down Chase. If they come close to locking him down, then good luck also covering Boyd and Higgins.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:14 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: A couple of lines I like:

&

It is going to be sweet if opposing defenses struggle mightily to shut down Chase. If they come close to locking him down, then good luck also covering Boyd and Higgins.

The more attention given to stopping receivers makes Mixon chomp at the bit!
Reply/Quote
The best part is that PFF is the very publication who gave the Bengals a grade of F after their first round selection of Chase. After rounds 2-7, they are now complimenting the Bengals on their choices.
Reply/Quote
I agree wholeheartedly with the thread title. After what they did in free agency last year and this, it seems they had a clear plan for this draft. Get a top notch athlete/playmaker at a position of need in 1. Address both lines vigorously throughout the rest of the draft.

The three areas they addressed with their first 3 picks were the the exact 3 areas I hoped they would address. We will see if they hit or missed but so will every other team.

There should be healthy competition among the lines this year which should only serve to make us better overall.

We’ve addressed needs and depth. Next year and beyond we look get the team better overall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Always nice to see a reasonable write up on this team. When they do a good job they should get some props. I’m happy with this offseason. Not exactly what I would have done but they were reasonably aggressive and attacked both lines of scrimmage while giving us the best WR to come out of college in quite some time. This team is vastly improved from last season and no one can say they didn’t give Lou a fair shake after pumping this much new blood into the Defense.
Reply/Quote
I see better than I hear.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:16 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The more attention given to stopping receivers makes Mixon chomp at the bit!

Oh so true. I want to him stay healthy and get some easy runs. The poor dude always looks like he has to work harder than most NFL backs. Let's hope the at least average line opens some holes.
Reply/Quote
JMO but selecting Sewell would not have elevated the play of some of the other lineman like selecting Chase will elevate the play of the other receivers. I loved the pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: The best part is that PFF is the very publication who gave the Bengals a grade of F after their first round selection of Chase. After rounds 2-7, they are now complimenting the Bengals on their choices.

I thought that was Bleacher Report.
Reply/Quote
Yet they gave a B grade because...….....

You guessed it. We passed on Sewell.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:08 PM)Stewy Wrote: Dude.  Give it up.  Just let them bytch.

We haven't seen anything on the field yet. Team Chase celebrations was expected but the constant gloating when we really don't know if the gamble worked has gotten old already. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If every thread relating to rookies and the draft is going to devolve into chase v sewell, we need to just make JN one big ol' mega thread.

Time for both sides to let it go and look forward to September.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: The best part is that PFF is the very publication who gave the Bengals a grade of F after their first round selection of Chase. After rounds 2-7, they are now complimenting the Bengals on their choices.

Yeah... That F was ridiculous.

Maybe the F signified Fantastic?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:31 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Oh so true. I want to him stay healthy and get some easy runs. The poor dude always looks like he has to work harder than most NFL backs. Let's hope the at least average line opens some holes.

It tells you something when your very gifted running back is excited to see the return of an O line coach!
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 04:00 PM)Benton Wrote: If every thread relating to rookies and the draft is going to devolve into chase v sewell, we need to just make JN one big ol' mega thread.

Time for both sides to let it go and look forward to September.

This right here X 1000  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:08 PM)Stewy Wrote: Dude.  Give it up.  Just let them bytch.

Its funny, the pro Sewell crowd kept on banging the table 
For Penei Sewell over and over
But they never said why other than.running with what the 
National media said....It was just a general statement 
Without concrete reasons. Oh yeah they said he was another
Clone of Anthony Munoz.
Thing was Munoz was a traditional physical mauling
Run blocker..there was no spread offenses back in his say.
No 5 WR sets. 
Reply/Quote