Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
PFF Final 2021 Offensive Line Rankings (Regular Season)
(02-21-2022, 04:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They should just cut Adeniji. He’s really not even good enough to be a backup.

Yes! So I do think we need to upgrade some backups as they likely will have to start games.
Reply/Quote
Adeneji shouldn't be on an NFL roster, but I can't say I have high hopes for Carman after that 56.3 grade and injury issues already.

Definitely would start Carman over Adeniji if I were running the team, though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Paul Alexander works with these guys...then recommends them to the Bengals.

It's like if you move out of a haunted house and then invite the ghost to live in your next house...

That just drop dead funny. My best laugh since last Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Adeneji shouldn't be on an NFL roster, but I can't say I have high hopes for Carman after that 56.3 grade and injury issues already.

Two things give me some hope on Carman:

1. He gave up 0 sacks.

2. Potential to be a real mauler in the run game. He only played a handful of games this year, but he had some nice pancakes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Adeneji shouldn't be on an NFL roster, but I can't say I have high hopes for Carman after that 56.3 grade and injury issues already.

It's a fine line. Guys can improve. Some guys never do.

Like Bobby Hart never improved appreciably. But he was an UDFA. One would expect a 2nd Round pick to improve.
Reply/Quote
WTF, don't we just get guards to play guard?

We drafted a LT in the second round in the draft and he was replaced by a 6th round OT we took the year prior.

When they weren't available we moved Fred Johnson from OT to play guard.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Not to defend Adeniji because he has shown nothing to give anyone hope, but he did come back early from an injury most miss the season for. That's still on the coaches for rushing him back. How much of his poor play was him not fully recovered.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 05:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Two things give me some hope on Carman:

1. He gave up 0 sacks.

2. Potential to be a real mauler in the run game. He only played a handful of games this year, but he had some nice pancakes.

He also made some eye popping plays (good eye popping) in the pass game. To me they made a mistake going with Adeniji after it was clear he can't anchor properly - for any lineman the ability to anchor is critical. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 05:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTF, don't we just get guards to play guard?

We drafted a LT in the second round in the draft and he was replaced by a 6th round OT we took the year prior.

When they weren't available we moved Fred Johnson from OT to play guard.

[Image: 662neg.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 05:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: He also made some eye popping plays (good eye popping) in the pass game. To me they made a mistake going with Adeniji after it was clear be can't anchor properly - for any lineman the ability to anchor is critical. 

Then they 1st moved him to Guard and played, I remember he had a good game or 2 and the Bengals staff was raving about him.

Then he started to play bad, and they didn't really have any options other than Carman...who well...if he couldn't beat Adeniji out.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 08:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hint - We're not the worst in the league. It does seem to indicate that our backups are bad.

It also shows that there is a lack of quality lineman in the nfl.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

Look at Zeitlers grade. Would have been great to add NFL. That's exactly what we need to add.

Those ratings can be skewed by run vs pass grades and even penalties.
For example, Riley Reiff graded out at 67.3. His pass-blocking was only 58.4 but run blocking was 70.0.

Keep that in mind when assessing players. If we care most about keeping Burrow upright, we should be focusing on the pass-blocking grades first and foremost.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 05:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a fine line. Guys can improve. Some guys never do.

Like Bobby Hart never improved appreciably. But he was an UDFA. One would expect a 2nd Round pick to improve.

Like Jake Fisher? Maybe we should try Carman at TE.

I kid, I kid.

Maybe he'll improve, he showed a few things. I just wouldn't count on it. He's a guy that screams for serious competition.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They should just cut Adeniji. He’s really not even good enough to be a backup.

I agree. If you cannot get low you are hopeless in the trenches. Low man wins.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 05:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: He also made some eye popping plays (good eye popping) in the pass game. To me they made a mistake going with Adeniji after it was clear he can't anchor properly - for any lineman the ability to anchor is critical. 

Carman had at least 2 monster blocks in his rookie season that sprung the RB's for TD's. One against Brandon Williams the stud
NT of the Ravens on the big Mixon run the first time we played them and the big dump off to Perine in the AFC Championship.

Both were huge plays for us that changed games in our favor.

You would think blocks like this would give you a chance to start over a guy who was just consistently bad all the time....
Reply/Quote
I don't see how we could be rated as high as 20th when we were very close to the worst in the league in both sacks allowed and failure to onvert short yardage situations.

Not only did they fail at pass protection, but they also failed at power run blocking.

At times PFF is completely useless. With other positions we often have other stats that show how silly PFFs individual rating can be, but with O-linemen lots of people post PFF ratings like they were the gospel truth.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see how we could be rated as high as 20th when we were very close to the worst in the league in both sacks allowed and failure to onvert short yardage situations.

Not only did they fail at pass protection, but they also failed at power run blocking.

At times PFF is completely useless.  With other positions we often have other stats that show how silly PFFs individual rating can be, but with O-linemen lots of people post PFF ratings like they were the gospel truth.

During the regular season, we were arguably worse at run blocking than pass blocking. Which is saying something.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 09:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m just so ***** beyond sick of this nonsense. We picked who we picked, and it ended up being a home run. Records shattered, All Pro, OROY, Super Bowl run…

And yet people are still bringing up the Lions tackle on a Bengals message board. Let. It. Go.

I personally love the comparison. Nothing wrong with it. I like to see how Sewell does over the years.

I was team Chase before we even drafted Burrow. While watching LSU games (Bc I knew we would take Burrow), I couldn’t stop thinking, this kid #1 is a stud. Never would have thought we would get him back then. Thank you Chase for sitting out a year.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see how we could be rated as high as 20th when we were very close to the worst in the league in both sacks allowed and failure to onvert short yardage situations.

At times PFF is completely useless.  With other positions we often have other stats that show how silly PFFs individual rating can be, but with O-linemen lots of people post PFF ratings like they were the gospel truth.

Another weird anomaly is how we were ranked 22 last year. I would have expected us to be ranked closer to 30 both years.

Clearly the right side needs to be addressed most. We may be able to get a couple decent players in FA, but if we really want a legit starter, a trade would be the way to go. It might make sense to package a player like Boyd for a lineman. The likelihood of another team trading a great lineman to us seems slim though. There just aren't many of them and I think teams understand not to let those players walk when you have them (with the exception of the Bengals several years ago). 

All that said, I'm hoping they can find a player or two in FA that can really dominate up front. Maybe I'm too caught up on the PFF rankings, but the highest rated olineman potentially available only has a 76 overall grade. A lot of these guys have an injury history too. It's an expensive game of finding diamonds in the rough for sure. There are a few decent guys to choose from. 

According to this list, the best lines have a couple 80s in there mixed with low 70s. We'll be lucky to have a line of all mid-low 70s. If we can improve to an average line, that could be enough to put us over the top though. If we really want to put a great line together, we'd need to start by swinging a trade for a legit all-star player though. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 10:48 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Another weird anomaly is how we were ranked 22 last year. 

if thats the case, nobody should be referencing PFF's o-line rankings. At all
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 11:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: if thats the case, nobody should be referencing PFF's o-line rankings. At all

Some of you really prove how little you watch other teams.

Reply/Quote