Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PJ Dawson Cut!
Big surprise this one.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/09/04/bengals-waive-pj-dawson-sign-9-practice-squad/89866058/

Reply/Quote
I was really excited for Dawson when the Bengals drafted him, but man has it turned out badly. LB might become a draft need next year unless we can find someone on waivers or in FA.
Reply/Quote
According to Hobson, they'll put him on the PS if he clears waivers:

"It's the first time the Bengals have cut a third-rounder heading into only his second season since Wake Forest cornerback Brandon Ghee in 2011. It's believed they'll do what they did then and sign Dawson to the practice squad Monday if he clears waivers."
Reply/Quote
He never showed anything.... He was all hype.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 04:20 PM)jason Wrote: He never showed anything.... He was all hype.

Not like he has had much of a chance. I thought he looked good in preseason last year.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 04:30 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Not like he has had much of a chance. I thought he looked good in preseason last year.
Yeah. There were flashes last year, but Vigil outplayed him this season. You know how they love Mauauluga and Rey. Throw in Dansby and Burfict.... Where does that leave Dawson? Apparently on the streets.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Not to mention he was outplayed by Trevor Roach.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm not so sure there weren't underlying reasons that played into him being cut as well. Someone here posted about a sideline incident between him and Flowers??
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 04:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

Guy had attitude problems at TCU as well, that was the knock on him coming out of college. Must just be a real D***
Reply/Quote
I just hope he learns from this, wherever he ends up.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 05:14 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I just hope he learns from this, wherever he ends up.
What if he ends up in Pittsburgh?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 04:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

At least they cut a player like that before it came back to hurt them in a big game. Who knows, could have lost his cool and lost a game.

Oh....wait.... Mellow
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 04:41 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah. There were flashes last year, but Vigil outplayed him this season. You know how they love Mauauluga and Rey. Throw in Dansby and Burfict.... Where does that leave Dawson? Apparently on the streets.

But yet they keep Flowers who had a much worse preseason.

Rey is going to be 29 this year. Maualuga turns 30 in January. Dansby is 34 and turns 35 in November.

Bengals need some young talent. Dawson showed a lot last year. This year he showed more about hitting holes than making tackles, a lot less splash plays.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 05:38 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: At least they cut a player like that before it came back to hurt them in a big game. Who knows, could have lost his cool and lost a game.

Oh....wait.... Mellow

Are you suggesting we should cut pacman?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is why you can't give grades on drafts until you let the players actually play. You can't just attach an A+ or C-, or whatever, and act like a draft, or a specific draft pick, is either a success or a failure. If it were as easy as going of Mel Kiper's big board and earning a high grade, which is completely meaningless, then every team would just follow along.

Dawson was supposed to such a great pick, further proof that we are so great at drafting. But like Chase Coffman and Brandon Ghee before him, he's just another example that even being a third round pick doesn't guarantee you a second season. I mean, look at what the Browns just moved Gilbert for.

Let these guys actually prove themselves before grading them. I think the LB we took this year, maybe from BYU (Sorry, I'm out of the loop, was really unfairly ripped by a number of fans. Let the kid show what he can do.
Reply/Quote
He was a third rounder for a reason. The guy had first round talent but even coming out of college it was said he had an attitude problem.

It was never elaborated on too much as to what that means, but there it is.

I imagine a similar thing occurred in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 05:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you suggesting we should cut pacman?

I'm suggesting don't use the excuse as "an attitude problem" for a player you release when you have the kind of playoff game they had.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 05:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is why you can't give grades on drafts until you let the players actually play.  You can't just attach an A+ or C-, or whatever, and act like a draft, or a specific draft pick, is either a success or a failure. If it were as easy as going of Mel Kiper's big board and earning a high grade, which is completely meaningless, then every team would just follow along.

Dawson was supposed to such a great pick, further proof that we are so great at drafting.  But like Chase Coffman and Brandon Ghee before him, he's just another example that even being a third round pick doesn't guarantee you a second season.  I mean, look at what the Browns just moved Gilbert for.

Let these guys actually prove themselves before grading them.  I think the LB we took this year, maybe from BYU (Sorry, I'm out of the loop, was really unfairly ripped by a number of fans.  Let the kid show what he can do.

I think it is impossible not to grade a player, that is what the scouts do ,, as for draft gurus, I understand your point somewhat, but also understand a draft grade can have a few variables that go into it outside of a players playing potential. I think the problem can also stem from sometimes a 1 to 3 round player thinking he has some cushion for the first few years and not play as hard as needed, where a 6th and later round player is fighting as hard as he can from day one to impress and make the team.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 05:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I'm suggesting don't use the excuse as "an attitude problem" for a player you release when you have the kind of playoff game they had.

Seems like that would solidify the move.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote