Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRICE
(08-06-2018, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't matter who agrees with you.  The fact is that less than half of first round picks start day one as a rookie.

Over the previous ten years ('08-'17) only 72 of 320 first round picks started 16 games as a rookie.  Less than half of them (150) started more than 11 games.

I realize there may have been a few who were opening day starters who then missed more than 5 games with an injury, but the fact remains that your expectations are too high for first round picks.

That's fair. I didn't realize that few first rounders were starters as rookies. What are good expectations to have for first round picks then?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 01:52 PM)BengalD Wrote: I agree with you to a certain extent.  How many major college programs run a pro-style offense that prepares centers and QB's for the NFL?  I don't watch a lot of conferences outside of the Big 10 and SEC but I'm thinking not many.  Hence you get a caliber player in the spread - but behind the learning curve in the pro-style along with playing against pretty much all elite players (not encountered in college) at a higher rate of speed.  I just hope Price adapts fast.  I also hope Lazor and Pollack have plan B's and adjustments that are practice and can be applied on the fly instead of laboring through a sub 500 season.  Not asking for much - am I!

That's probably a legit point. More and more players coming out of college might just not be ready to contribute immediately, which means I'll need to change my expectations, I guess. Or secretly wish the spread offense went away or the NFL started going primarily to spread lol
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
College football really is under no obligation to play any sort of  pro style game. It's not governed by the NFL and doesn't pay its players. If the NFL wants the final word on how these young players are taught how to play football they should do what MLB did long ago and have its own farm clubs. Instead they decided to take players directly from college , most of who will never play in the NFL. The NFL is exclusively a privately owned business .Colleges are a mix of private and publicly funded entities whose real jobs are to educate students for other things other than sports. Unless you're suggesting all other fields of higher education be banned and the only thing colleges do is to prepare jocks for the NFL.. That's never going to fly..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 08:01 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: My thread has zero with cutting or being a bum or a wasted pick.. i totally agreed we needed a center with 1st pick of the top 3 were still there.. it was a very obvious observation that probably was the main observation of those coaching and writing on the Bengals.  Does not mean Price won;t fix it but nothing kills an offense more than exchange issues so is a legitimate concern and not sure if you were at the family day but there was some real frustration going on with the exchange issues on the sidelines...

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
I was being sarcastic....
I think Price will be an improvement over Bodine.....
just not sure "how much" of an improvement..... Confused
I have a feeling many are too high on him....
we'll see this Thursday 7:00 pm.... Shocked
I was hoping for Ragnow myself....
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 11:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I know there are some here that will not agree with this, but I've always felt a first rounder should be able to come in Day 1 and be a quality starter with no glaring issues. For that reason, I did not consider Price a first round prospect. I think Price has great potential but there are things he has to work on. It might mean he struggles in the first half of the season, but I have confidence he'll be fine by the end of the year. We'll have to wait and see.

Hey, aren't you the same guy that thought that Maurice Hurst was a for sure day 1 pick?   Ninja Ninja Ninja 

Actually, I agree.  A first round selection should be able to come in and start on Day 1.  We haven't reached Day 1 yet, we have 4 preseason games yet, to get this snap issue resolved.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good. He is getting the jitters out early.

Price is coming in giving 110%

Sure there will be some in season stuff he screws up but i think this is just a phase with the volume of botched snaps

Price is all in making a huge transition to his dream job. Being a rookie center matching up against our DL should scare the shit out of him too. That is two big points of pressure Price is feeling right now.

All he will do is work on it and bust his ass to get better. Iron sharpens iron. Atkins sharpens Price
Reply/Quote
[Image: 38614828_726540701250_914830117107138560...e=5C0B3CDF]
Reply/Quote
It's too early to panic, but this doesn't sound so good. I will admit that if the Steelers were having this sort of trouble, we'd be laughing our arses off and predicting nothing but doom for them, though.
Reply/Quote
I'll worry when he does this in the game. It's clearly not a good look, but it's a rookie in his first NFL camp. Lets see how this plays out in his first game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 02:01 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: [Image: 38614828_726540701250_914830117107138560...e=5C0B3CDF]

Great pic Brad! I'm not sweating Billy to much. The more reps he gets, the better it will get. What is getting lost here is, the fact Andy is getting time to step up into the pocket. Against what I believe will be a top 5 D-line this year, says a lot!
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 11:45 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Great pic Brad! I'm not sweating Billy to much. The more reps he gets, the better it will get. What is getting lost here is, the fact Andy is getting time to step up into the pocket. Against what I believe will be a top 5 D-line this year, says a lot!

Thanks!

I have faith that Billy will be ok and actually do well, but it’s the rest of the line that worries me.

Like you said, they are going against one of the better d lines in the league, but it looked like they were just running by the offensive linemen.

I trust Pollack to have them playing well though. Had PA still been here, I would have already mailed it in for this season.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 03:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, long term Price could be a stud at center. The question becomes if it is legit for fans to worry about 2018 because we have a rookie center that has developed snap issues early on.

I am concerned for 2018 and will be until I see the issue fixed in preseason and minimal issues in regular seasons. I loved the pick and feel he has the potential to be a beast. I just need to see potential = results, a lot of Heisman Trophy and 1st round picks had loads of potential and out of football within 4 to 5 years.

Yep, we will see, just not concerned yet and just happy his mistakes are happening now so he can learn from them.

Sounds like he is already, after having a good day snapping under Center according to Brad.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 11:57 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Thanks!

I have faith that Billy will be ok and actually do well, but it’s the rest of the line that worries me.

Like you said, they are going against one of the better d lines in the league, but it looked like they were just running by the offensive linemen.

I trust Pollack to have them playing well though. Had PA still been here, I would have already mailed it in for this season.

Same here and awesome pic. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 02:01 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: [Image: 38614828_726540701250_914830117107138560...e=5C0B3CDF]

Nice! Price just needs to relax more and let his hair grow. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 03:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Going to be a tough season on offense if Price does not improve the snaps, has been struggling all camp and today was terrible on snaps.

He'll get it together.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 01:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He'll get it together.

Agree.  He's been referred to as pretty intelligent, he'll work it out.  Just needs the reps in game situations.  That's why there's preseason.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Kool pic man!
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is who he is lining up against Mikey. Geno and Billings.

Who the heck do the Lions got right now? I am honestly just asking a serious question cause i do not know.

Go cry over spilt milk with your panties in a bunch cause the Lions picked Ragnow right before us.

I was the biggest pusher for Ragnow on this board but that doesn't matter anymore cause we got Price who could be better.

He just has to clean up the snap issue, which he will eventually.

Spot on Sled. :andy:

Looks like I touched a nerve.  You implied that Ragnow woulden't be able to snap in front of geno either (lol this is just amusing to me, like he would be sooo afraid of geno he wouldent be able to snap the ball).  I said that he wont be facing just Geno.  Then this gem.  So you still think that Price only lines up against Geno and Billings in camp? Have you ever been to a practice before?  He has had reps against a lot of our dlineman just as Ragnow has for the lions.  Heres a fact for you, none of the centers we have gone against in the last 5 years have had trouble snapping with geno lining up opposite of them.  Quit making excuses for the guy.  I simply stated that Ragnow is tearing it up for the lions and Bengals homer's go beserk about it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 06:32 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Looks like I touched a nerve.  You implied that Ragnow woulden't be able to snap in front of geno either (lol this is just amusing to me, like he would be sooo afraid of geno he wouldent be able to snap the ball).  I said that he wont be facing just Geno.  Then this gem.  So you still think that Price only lines up against Geno and Billings in camp? Have you ever been to a practice before?  He has had reps against a lot of our dlineman just as Ragnow has for the lions.  Heres a fact for you, none of the centers we have gone against in the last 5 years have had trouble snapping with geno lining up opposite of them.  Quit making excuses for the guy.  I simply stated that Ragnow is tearing it up for the lions and Bengals homer's go beserk about it. 

Wonder how many were rookies in their first training camp?  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 07:43 PM)Steve Wrote: Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
I was being sarcastic....
I think Price will be an improvement over Bodine.....
just not sure "how much" of an improvement..... Confused
I have a feeling many are too high on him....
we'll see this Thursday 7:00 pm.... Shocked
I was hoping for Ragnow myself....

Ok I preferred Ragnow also but felt Price was the right pick once Ragnow was gone.
Reply/Quote