Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Paul Daugherty: If Lewis is out, shouldn't Dalton follow?
but but, Andy doesn't have an oline.........................fml
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 09:05 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Mixon had a horrible season? The run blocking has been disgusting for most of the year. People have been talking about the pass blocking being bad, but the run blocks have been way worse.

I agree that Gio should have been given more touches, but I can't blame the poor running performances on Mixon or Bernard. How many times has either of them made something out of nothing? Mixon seems to have repeated 5, 6, 8, 10 yard runs but then a low average because a lot of plays are blown up in the backfield. I can't blame the RBs for that.

This is a below avg. season for Dunlap. But he hasn't sucked. He won the Colts game for the Bengals.

Burfict is the head and heart of the entire defense. he hasn't sucked at all. Hurt, yes, sucked no.

We all have a different definition of when a player is bad, I guess.

Well, Mixon was under 4 YPC, line woes or not.  The numbers say he had a bad season, and I agree the line is the issue, it's the issue for the entire offense.  Some of us predicted this mess of an offense since we lost Zeit and Whit and did nothing to replace them before the season started. Also, rolling into the season with Zampese as OC was a nightmare. So, if we say the rest of the offense sucks due to ranking, then we must say the backs had a shitty year too, offensive line problems notwithstanding.  You can have your cake, but you can't eat it. Wink 

Dunlap has been in the meh category, for me.  Although, as you say, he did win the Indy game.  However, most people would trash MJ, but he was the only one to show up for the Bears debacle.  Overall, he's been bad, and Los has been meh.

Absolutely agree about Burfict.  When he's played, he's been his usual self.

So, in summation, I think WJIII has had a good year, bonehead move against the Stoolers notwithstanding, and Lawson has shown a lot of good things, but needs work against the run.  Burfict has been very good when he's on the field.  Other than those guys, and the run game a few times this year, I gotta say most of the team has been lackluster to say the least.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lackluster seems pretty harsh to me for AJ Green. 1000+ yards and 8 TD’s (and one game remaining) with the worst offense in the league. Teams literally had nothing to worry about covering other than him most of the season and he still put up decent numbers.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 11:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lackluster seems pretty harsh to me for AJ Green. 1000+ yards and 8 TD’s (and one game remaining) with the worst offense in the league. Teams literally had nothing to worry about covering other than him most of the season and he still put up decent numbers.

See my prior post......I agree though, he's been pretty much the only weapon in the passing game.  He's just had an off year by AJ Green standards....too many drops and tipped balls.  Been some spectacular sideline catches though.

Reply/Quote
Hopkins keeps putting up 1500 yard, 12 TD seasons with absolute garbage at QB and little run game to speak of. Same happened with Josh Gordon in Cleveland. Who was his QB when he dropped 1600 yards in 14 games? AJ might be my favorite player on the team. Love his attitude. But if you're an elite top shelf guy, you produce. Period.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hopkins keeps putting up 1500 yard, 12 TD seasons with absolute garbage at QB and little run game to speak of. Same happened with Josh Gordon in Cleveland. Who was his QB when he dropped 1600 yards in 14 games? AJ might be my favorite player on the team. Love his attitude. But if you're an elite top shelf guy, you produce. Period.

He's been a pro bowler ever year he's played. If he continues to produce at the rate he has his first 7 seasons he will easily be the best bengals WR in history. Not sure what else you're asking for especially considering the mess this team is right now. He's been able to overcome, unlike other players. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:15 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: He's been a pro bowler ever year he's played. If he continues to produce at the rate he has his first 7 seasons he will easily be the best bengals WR in history. Not sure what else you're asking for especially considering the mess this team is right now. He's been able to overcome, unlike other players. 

Exactly. Green has never put up 1500+ in a season(and 1400+ only once) and he’s been considered elite his entire career. Not sure why we’re using those kinds of numbers as a cutoff now...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hopkins keeps putting up 1500 yard, 12 TD seasons with absolute garbage at QB and little run game to speak of. Same happened with Josh Gordon in Cleveland. Who was his QB when he dropped 1600 yards in 14 games? AJ might be my favorite player on the team. Love his attitude. But if you're an elite top shelf guy, you produce. Period.

Well truth be told Hopkins put up most of those numbers with that other QB at the helm.....
Reply/Quote
Also, Watson was not garbage. Far from it.

Reply/Quote
And finally, a quick check shows Hopkins has only put 1500+ 12+ TD once...

Reply/Quote
Green is also currently top 10 in rec yards and TD’s for the season.

I feel like this narrative of him having a bad year started because of a few drops/tipped balls (granted a couple of them were big ones). But for every drop/tip he’s had this year Dalton has probably overthrown/missed him twice as much....

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Green is also currently top 10 in rec yards and TD’s  for the season.

I feel like this narrative of him having a bad year started because of a few drops/tipped balls (granted a couple of them were big ones). But for every drop/tip he’s had this year Dalton has  probably overthrown/missed him twice as much....

I agree with that......all I said was, it's been a rather "un-AJ Green" type of season for him.  Still one of the best in the game.  Everyone has been "off" on offense this season, and a lot of it has to do with the shit show Piano Man has trotted out there.  Think if the line had been playing as well as it has the last few weeks for the entire season.  Had that been the case, Mixon and Gio likely have stellar seasons, and maybe the passing game has time to develop.  Everything is so rushed because of that inadequacy.....timing is off....and that effects everyone, AJ Green included.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:42 AM)Stewy Wrote: Well truth be told Hopkins put up most of those numbers with that other QB at the helm.....

111 catches - 1521 yards and 11 TDs in 2015 with...

9 starts from Hoyer
4 starts from Mallet
2 starts from Yates
1 start from Weeden

This year, he has played 9 games without Watson. He's produced 51 catches, 772 yards and 6 TDs in those games. Good for a 16 game pace of 91 catches, 1372 yards and 11 TDs. 

(12-28-2017, 03:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also, Watson was not garbage. Far from it.

Hopkins has been in the league for 5 years now, producing at an elite level for 4 years. Watson was his QB for 6 of those games.

(12-28-2017, 03:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And finally, a quick check shows Hopkins has only put 1500+ 12+ TD once...

1521 yards + 11 TDs in 2015 with garbage at QB
1372 yards + 11 TDs in 2017 (pace) with non-Watson QB's (Savage and Yates)

Look. I'm not saying we need to dump AJ Green or I don't like the guy, but he shouldn't be beyond criticism.

- Worst catch % of his career
- Only 41 catches for 557 yards over his last 10 games (a 65 catch, 891 yard pace)
- an ejection for losing his cool
- at least 3-4 INT's bouncing off his hands
- misread or dropped deep passes

Look...dude is having an off year no matter how much people don't want to admit it. He was absolutely on fire in 2016 prior to injury. He's off this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 11:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with that......all I said was, it's been a rather "un-AJ Green" type of season for him.  Still one of the best in the game.  Everyone has been "off" on offense this season, and a lot of it has to do with the shit show Piano Man has trotted out there.  Think if the line had been playing as well as it has the last few weeks for the entire season.  Had that been the case, Mixon and Gio likely have stellar seasons, and maybe the passing game has time to develop.  Everything is so rushed because of that inadequacy.....timing is off....and that effects everyone, AJ Green included.

Very fair assessment.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Green is also currently top 10 in rec yards and TD’s  for the season.

I feel like this narrative of him having a bad year started because of a few drops/tipped balls (granted a couple of them were big ones). But for every drop/tip he’s had this year Dalton has  probably overthrown/missed him twice as much....

Dalton is currently top 10 in TDs and people are saying he sucks, sooooooooooooooooooooooo ........ 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 11:04 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Paul Daugherty: If Lewis is out, shouldn't Dalton Paul Alexander follow?

Fixed it.

I swear if Alexander remains no matter who they make head coach...  I'll lose my shit!

Dalton is good enough to win next season if the O-line is fixed.

I also don't think our WRs are very good outside of Green.

They've made bad choices in this area.  Also Lafell needs to be upgraded to a better vet.

Just watching how these guys get covered and don't have awareness to break out of busted plays adds to the frustration of drops and blowing routes.

We can(and should)draft a QB next year for the future starter.

No doubt brother and with a decent OLC maybe he could coach up some of these guys so we don't have to use
all of our picks on O-line, there is some talent there. Personally really liked the Westerman pick and Redmond is
a big powerful Guard. Fisher who knows if the A-fib or whatever is taken careof, he was very good at Oregon.

I don't have any hope for Og though, your O-lineman need to have that WANT to be great.

Og doesn't seem to have that.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt brother and with a decent OLC maybe he could coach up some of these guys so we don't have to use
all of our picks on O-line, there is some talent there. Personally really liked the Westerman pick and Redmond is
a big powerful Guard. Fisher who knows if the A-fib or whatever is taken careof, he was very good at Oregon.

I don't have any hope for Og though, your O-lineman need to have that WANT to be great.

Og doesn't seem to have that.

I'd like to see what Boling could do with an offseason preparing for LT. I think our guards are already on the team.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:40 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'd like to see what Boling could do with an offseason preparing for LT. I think our guards are already on the team.

With a good O-line coach who knows how good these guys can be, true.

Like i said in another thread i don't know if Boling is the answer at LT but for short notice it wasn't terrible like Og.

Always liked the Westerman pick and Redmond just didn't have a good weight room at UCLA.

Need a Center like Billy Price or Frank Ragnow though.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 03:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Dalton is currently top 10 in TDs and people are saying he sucks, sooooooooooooooooooooooo ........ 

And 19th in yards...

Which is probably more accurate in assessing where he ranks among the league.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And 19th in yards...

Which is probably more accurate in assessing where he ranks among the league.

I would go with QB rating, myself (what's he like 18th or 19th in the league there?), but, then again, I try to be FAIR in my assessment of the position. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote