Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paulie G
(10-21-2016, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not to play "what if", but I wonder how much differently this defense would look, had it not been for the injuries to Billings and Jackson III?
Two rookies?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2016, 07:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: MJ is tied for 10th in the league in QB hurries with 10.

Where is he ranked in number of snaps?

Where is he ranked on sacks?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 01:00 AM)tlotharw Wrote: Two rookies?

It's not a crazy thing.  A guy from each conference wins a rookie of the year award each for offense and defense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Where is he ranked in number of snaps?

#168 in snaps played (among defensive players)

15 DEs have played more snaps than MJ.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not a crazy thing.  A guy from each conference wins a rookie of the year award each for offense and defense.

Jackson might have helped some, but Billings was not doing anything in camp to indicate that he would have even gotten many snaps this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: #168 in snaps played (among defensive players)

15 DEs have played more snaps than MJ.

The #168 is irrelevant, but only 15 DEs have more snaps than MJ.  How many of them have more hurries?  That means there are a lot of DEs that have fewer opportunities than MJ, and I am guessing by a lot.  

And why did you leave out his ranking in sacks for that same group?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The #168 is irrelevant, but only 15 DEs have more snaps than MJ.  How many of them have more hurries?  That means there are a lot of DEs that have fewer opportunities than MJ, and I am guessing by a lot.  

Only 4 DEs have more hurries than MJ.  14 have more snaps.  I am not going to do "hurries per snap" for every DE in the league, but it appears that MJ is one of the more efficient at getting pressure on the QB.

(10-23-2016, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And why did you leave out his ranking in sacks for that same group?

Because sacks is only a very narrow measure of QB pressure.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 4 DEs have more hurries than MJ.  14 have more snaps.  I am not going to do "hurries per snap" for every DE in the league, but it appears that MJ is one of the more efficient at getting pressure on the QB.

Because sacks is only a very narrow measure of QB pressure.

So are hurries.  So are hits.  I don't see MJ being even average at his position.  PFF seems to agree with me as he was not in the top 50.  

Regardless, you are defending MJ and I am say I want more.  I guess you do have more in common with this coaching staff than I do.  And that is why they are 2-4...stick with the status quo.  
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:   So are hits.

MJ is also top 20 among DEs in QB hits (17th)
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Regardless, you are defending MJ and I am say I want more.  I guess you do have more in common with this coaching staff than I do.  And that is why they are 2-4...stick with the status quo.  

So your idea to improve the pass rush is to bench one of the most effective pass rushing DEs in the league?

Brilliant.  I wonder why you are not coaching in the NFL?

BTW bengals are 12th in the league in QB hurries.  I want that number to increase, but I don't think benching one of the better pass rushers on the team is the best way to do it.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2016, 07:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me it seems like our LBs are the weakest link.  They are weak against both the run and the pass.

I thought Dansby would be a big addition to our defense, but he has been one of the biggest disappointments.

And we thought this was the deepest LB core we have had before the season.

Haslett has disappointed me, the Linebackers are in the wrong position far too often.
Reply/Quote
This idiot still don't know when to come after the qb,first drive second half Cleveland walks right down the field not one blitz..rest of the game we blitzed alot notice how Cleveland had no answer for sometimes you gotta take risks I'm sick of this play it safe all the time phlilophy
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So your idea to improve the pass rush is to bench one of the most effective pass rushing DEs in the league?

Brilliant.  I wonder why you are not coaching in the NFL?

BTW bengals are 12th in the league in QB hurries.  I want that number to increase, but I don't think benching one of the better pass rushers on the team is the best way to do it.

One of the best?  You still didn't answer the less than 50th ranking from PFF.  He is hardly one of the best, and with the attention paid to Atkins and Dunlap, he should be doing more.  Clarke looks more interested and a hell of a lot faster on the field than MJ.  MJ also lost containment several times on the option read where the QB ran a mile.  He is NOT one of the best.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 11:14 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: This idiot still don't know when to come after the qb,first drive second half Cleveland walks right down the field not one blitz..rest of the game we blitzed alot notice how Cleveland had no answer for sometimes you gotta take risks I'm sick of this play it safe all the time phlilophy

There is no correlation between blitzing and playing good pass defense.

Some teams blitz a lot and suck at pass defense.  Some teams rarely blitz and play great pass defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of the best?  You still didn't answer the less than 50th ranking from PFF.

PFF individual player rankings are a joke.  I have been over that many times and most people here now agree with me.

Pretty much every stat last year ranked Dre Kirk as one of the top 30 CBs in the league while PFF had Dre (who played 97% of the snaps for a top 3 pass defense) ranked 118th behind a bunch of scrubs who barely played for bad teams
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Jackson might have helped some, but Billings was not doing anything in camp to indicate that he would have even gotten many snaps this year.

I don't know about that. Players were saying he (Billings) was an immovable object. That is until his knee moved.

Of course that was going up against our OL. Soooooo it may not have meant much at all.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of the best?  You still didn't answer the less than 50th ranking from PFF.  He is hardly one of the best, and with the attention paid to Atkins and Dunlap, he should be doing more.  Clarke looks more interested and a hell of a lot faster on the field than MJ.  MJ also lost containment several times on the option read where the QB ran a mile.  He is NOT one of the best.

PFF only matters when propping up Piano Man.....get it straight man.....good God.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: PFF individual player rankings are a joke.  I have been over that many times and most people here now agree with me.

Pretty much every stat last year ranked Dre Kirk as one of the top 30 CBs in the league while PFF had Dre (who played 97% of the snaps for a top 3 pass defense) ranked 118th behind a bunch of scrubs who barely played for bad teams

Most people here now agree with you?  So that makes PFF a joke?  Even NFL teams use their information and I constantly hear from you how I am not an NFL coach (one of the few things you are correct in stating).  So, which is it?  Do NFL coaches know what they are doing and we don't or are PFF rankings a joke?  

And I don't think the Bengals were top 3 in passing defense...They were in the top three in points allowed, if that is what you meant, but I thought they were around 11th in pass defense. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Most people here now agree with you?  So that makes PFF a joke?  Even NFL teams use their information and I constantly hear from you how I am not an NFL coach (one of the few things you are correct in stating).  So, which is it?  Do NFL coaches know what they are doing and we don't or are PFF rankings a joke?  

NFL coaches may use some raw stats compiled by PFF but they never use PFFs individual player ranking.  According to the PFF individual ranking formula a player can be ranked behind another player who had fewer snaps and messed up more often.  it is a complete joke.

(10-26-2016, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And I don't think the Bengals were top 3 in passing defense...They were in the top three in points allowed, if that is what you meant, but I thought they were around 11th in pass defense. 

Maybe not top 3 but at least top 5.

5th in pass efficiency rating.
2nd in fewest tds allowed
3rd in interceptions.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 01:19 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't know about that. Players were saying he (Billings) was an immovable object. That is until his knee moved.

Of course that was going up against our OL. Soooooo it may not have meant much at all.

Billings would of made a difference this year, Peko has been bad. They play the same position and Billings is a great
run stopper. Maybe he wouldn't of gotten to the QB much as a rookie but to say Billings would of not helped this year
is lunacy to me. Cannot wait to see this guy next to Geno.
Reply/Quote