Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Per Report, Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year!
(02-07-2016, 08:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Thank you. Over the last 5 games of 2014, Sanu had 12 targets and 7 catches for 71 yards. So this disappearing act stretches back to when he was inarguably the #2 option. I agree that Sanu is capable of better, it just makes me wonder.

Even being the 4th/5th option this year, for Sanu to have 33 catches and 0 TDs is weak. Markus Wheaton is the 4th option for the Steelers and went 44-749-5. Heyward-Bey was the 6th option for the Steelers and posted similar stats to Sanu.

But what did he do with his limited number of targets? He had some huge plays on the season. Stats like that only tell part of the story.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 09:38 PM)Synric Wrote: But what did he do with his limited number of targets? He had some huge plays on the season. Stats like that only tell part of the story.

Nuts to James Wright, I'm thinking the guy below him can be way better.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 09:38 PM)Synric Wrote: But what did he do with his limited number of targets? He had some huge plays on the season. Stats like that only tell part of the story.

The other part of the story being in the second half of the season, he put up 12/97/0 in 8 games.... after putting up 17/162/1 in the 8 games of the second half of 2014. Adding a combined total of 6/48/0 in the two postseason games. In the last year and a half (plus two postseason games), he has only put up 51/539/1... that's in a 26 game stretch.

Sanu isn't good normally and he gets even worse, completely vanishing, in the second half of seasons.

Dude can't get separation, has questionable hands, and vanished in the second half of seasons. None of those make me want the Bengals to retain his services.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Marvin is ok but don't use us as a god damn machine to make your name in FA

Because I love his catches but at the end of the day this guy hasn't had the results I expected after his great year and he hasn't had the results IMO to warrant that number.

I love how guys try to bleed the Bengals dry because of a good year every FA period. We're losing regardless so at this point idc. Go to the ***** Jaguars for 16 mil per. Who gives a shit. End of the day we'll be in the playoffs and your team won't be

Hope it was worth it
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 02:56 AM)Housh Wrote: Marvin is ok but don't use us as a god damn machine to make your name in FA

Because I love his catches but at the end of the day this guy hasn't had the results I expected after his great year and he hasn't had the results IMO to warrant that number.

I love how guys try to bleed the Bengals dry because of a good year every FA period. We're losing regardless so at this point idc. Go to the ***** Jaguars for 16 mil per. Who gives a shit. End of the day we'll be in the playoffs and your team won't be

Hope it was worth it
Settle down there bub. Its a business. He isnt the first or last that will do it. Dude may have one chance at hitting free agency healthy as a well sought after sprspect. I doubt Marvin Jones would be mad at you if you had multiple employers potentially bidding for your services and you tried to maximize your income.

At least it aint baseball and we can still compete with basically any offer.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 02:56 AM)Housh Wrote: I love how guys try to bleed the Bengals dry because of a good year every FA period. We're losing regardless so at this point idc. Go to the ***** Jaguars for 16 mil per. Who gives a shit. End of the day we'll be in the playoffs and your team won't be

Hope it was worth it

I'm downright amused to see a guy who's user name is Housh and who's avatar is LeBron James being furious a player might test out free agency!
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 02:56 AM)Housh Wrote: Marvin is ok but don't use us as a god damn machine to make your name in FA

Hope it was worth it

They don't need receivers. Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, and Marquis Lee are doing just fine.

I mean, Marvin Jones was our #2-3 target. For a #2-3 target, having 816 yards is actually pretty good. Plus, you act like his 2013 year was so incredible. He had one amazing game. This year he was much more dependable and a consistent threat.

Outside of his amazing game is 2013, Jones had under 600 yards and 6 TDs. You can take away his best game and he still has over 700 yards this season. He was more consistent and a much better all around player this year than in 2013.

Also, he only played one season since 2013, this year.

Martavis Bryant was Big Ben's #2 target. Marvin Jones had more yards and 2 less TDs.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
They need to keep Reggie Nelson, Iloka and Pac-Man before they think about paying anyone else IMO
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2016, 05:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's hard to say without knowing who is replacing him, how well he does, and what our cap space is in 2016.  I will say that saving 2 million bucks by letting Jones walk isn't going to cut it if we have a void at WR#2 that costs us wins.

We won't know if Jones is overpaid or not until we see how we do without him.  Such is the nature of the business, no?

(02-06-2016, 07:21 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/wide-receiver/

7 mil per would put him 26th on the list. In between a couple #2 WRs. The franchise tag number was 12.8mil last year. So he will probably be about half the cost of what the new franchise tag number will be this year

We have something like 30mil to spend. Its worth spending it on a known productive member of the team entering the prime of his career instead of taking a step back and going through jerome simpson, laverneas coles , bryant , and TO like debacles trying to replace him.

(02-06-2016, 07:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Actually the franchise number will probably go down if calvin johnson is removed from the equation. But either way when the 7 mil aint bad for a guy who still has upside and is entering the prime of his career. And when the next batch of WRs like Mike Evans , Odell , sammy watkins sign their deals our combo of AJ and MJ will look like a bargain.

You guys make great points and swayed me a little to your side.

It might not be worth the risk letting MLJ go.
Reply/Quote

Hope it was worth it

Every team's free agents do the same.  It's not just the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 03:24 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm downright amused to see a guy who's user name is Housh and who's avatar is LeBron James being furious a player might test out free agency!

Little bit ironic eh? Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You guys make great points and swayed me a little to your side.

It might not be worth the risk letting MLJ go.

To me the key word is "risk" and yes, it is a bit of a risk to pay or not pay a FA player.  I figure FA's get the big bucks because they are proven commodities and don't cost a draft pick.  We COULD let him walk and hope Wright is good enough to just replace him, or we could draft another WR (can be a high pick which is valuable, or a low pick which is risky if we need him now), or we can hope the above PLUS the idea that Marvin Jones was really only "good" because of Dalton, AJ Green, Eifert, and anyone else who isn't leaving.

It comes down to risk.  I can't say I actually know how close we ever get to the cap, but I feel like every year it comes down to warnings and threats from naysayers who assure those of us who want to sign FA's (ours or external) that we are totally not going to be able to re-sign the 34 players who are totally up to be FA's any second now.

Meh.  Risk is the word.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: To me the key word is "risk" and yes, it is a bit of a risk to pay or not pay a FA player.  I figure FA's get the big bucks because they are proven commodities and don't cost a draft pick.  We COULD let him walk and hope Wright is good enough to just replace him, or we could draft another WR (can be a high pick which is valuable, or a low pick which is risky if we need him now), or we can hope the above PLUS the idea that Marvin Jones was really only "good" because of Dalton, AJ Green, Eifert, and anyone else who isn't leaving.

It comes down to risk.  I can't say I actually know how close we ever get to the cap, but I feel like every year it comes down to warnings and threats from naysayers who assure those of us who want to sign FA's (ours or external) that we are totally not going to be able to re-sign the 34 players who are totally up to be FA's any second now.

Have an idea

Don't we get a bunch of supplemental picks in 2017 if a lot of these guys like MJ and Andre and Reggie sign with another team?

How about trading some draft picks this year to move up n second and third rounds to replace several free agents?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: To me the key word is "risk" and yes, it is a bit of a risk to pay or not pay a FA player.  I figure FA's get the big bucks because they are proven commodities and don't cost a draft pick.  We COULD let him walk and hope Wright is good enough to just replace him, or we could draft another WR (can be a high pick which is valuable, or a low pick which is risky if we need him now), or we can hope the above PLUS the idea that Marvin Jones was really only "good" because of Dalton, AJ Green, Eifert, and anyone else who isn't leaving.

Meh.  Risk is the word.

I'll be surprised if they go with Wright. I think they'll offer him something in the $5 million range with the expectation re-signing Sanu and adding somebody they might be able to get a play or two out of like a Welker or Nate Washington. With as many significant FA as we've got, I think they're going to take the risk of letting Jones go and having more of a rotation at that spot.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 03:24 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm downright amused to see a guy who's user name is Housh and who's avatar is LeBron James being furious a player might test out free agency!

Lol I'm predictable I know 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is the price in 2016 for a late 1st round pick or a late 2nd who is more capable of being a true #1 within a year or two? My hunch is 50% less so I would rather draft if the case versus paying a solid, but not great #2 7 million plus a year.
Completely agree with this.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 08:45 PM)Benton Wrote: I'll be surprised if they go with Wright. I think they'll offer him something in the $5 million range with the expectation re-signing Sanu and adding somebody they might be able to get a play or two out of like a Welker or Nate Washington. With as many significant FA as we've got, I think they're going to take the risk of letting Jones go and having more of a rotation at that spot.

Yeah, but the concept of a #2 by committee brings up too many bad memories of Binns et al. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 08:45 PM)Benton Wrote: I'll be surprised if they go with Wright. I think they'll offer him something in the $5 million range with the expectation re-signing Sanu and adding somebody they might be able to get a play or two out of like a Welker or Nate Washington. With as many significant FA as we've got, I think they're going to take the risk of letting Jones go and having more of a rotation at that spot.

That would be a good pickup if we lost MLJ. Even if he'll be 33 at the start of the season. He's always been productive.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 09:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but damn. We hear the same crap every year about some practice squad/6th-7th WR. 

James Wright is the new Briscoe/Binns

Binns, Sanu, and Marvin Jones were once in a three way competition to even stay on the team. Some people thought they were all scrubs.  MoJo was a 5th rounder after all.

Reply/Quote
Pay Illoka and pay Jones. We need them. We wont find anything better in the draft or FA so may as well make offers they can't refuse and lock them up.

Reply/Quote