Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Pick the next HC
Wrong question.

Who will MB pick?
Reply/Quote
Because the Bengals do not have an established connected General Manager they need to bring in a Head Coach that is connected enough to build a complete staff. Young Coaches that are on the rise quickly arent gonna cut it in Cincy for this reason.

My vote is Pete Carmichael Jr New Orlean Saints decade long Offensive Coordinator. He is an established coach in the NFL and has coached as a coordinator long enough to establish connections through out the league.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:31 PM)Synric Wrote: Because the Bengals do not have an established connected General Manager they need to bring in a Head Coach that is connected enough to build a complete staff. Young Coaches that are on the rise quickly arent gonna cut it in Cincy for this reason.

My vote is Pete Carmichael Jr New Orlean Saints decade long Offensive Coordinator. He is an established coach in the NFL.

One of the knocks on Carmichael over the years is that he's so quite, unassuming and lacking personality. I worry that he wouldn't be able to assert himself with the family like Marvin did and get his way on important stuff.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: One of the knocks on Carmichael over the years is that he's so quite, unassuming and lacking personality. I worry that he wouldn't be able to assert himself with the family like Marvin did and get his way on important stuff.

True.

It's a chance but the Bengals have to take chances because of their front office. I'd rather they take that chance on experience and connections. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:38 PM)Synric Wrote: True.

It's a chance but the Bengals have to take chances because of their front office. I'd rather they take that chance on experience and connections. 

I would love to have his offensive mind and experience here. I just wish we had a real GM because I think Carmichael would do well if he just had to focus on coaching.
Reply/Quote
No on Bienemy.....no on Harbaugh, he ruins QB. We need someone who has a proven track record on improving an organization and is an offensive genius. Matt Campbell Iowa State is my choice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I would love to have his offensive mind and experience here. I just wish we had a real GM because I think Carmichael would do well if he just had to focus on coaching.

The other Saints Coordinator is also a solid option... even after flopping in Oakland.

Dennis Allen is an established coach with a solid track record and could bring someone like the Saints QB coach Joe Lombardi with him who also has coordinator experience. 

Reply/Quote
I would give Byron Leftwich a shot. He has paid his dues an a QB coach and an OC, I also think he would be able to put together a decent staff. Not to mention he is a former player who has had some success in the NFL. He would be my choice.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 03:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm flabbergasted that a coach with 4 wins in 2 years still has defenders/apologists.  Mellow

The scary thing is he worse than his record and his record is god awful. You can tell the players can't stand him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 10:25 PM)J24 Wrote: The scary thing is he worse than his record and his record is god awful. You can tell the players can't stand him.

[Image: XS8c3OZ.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 08:14 PM)Synric Wrote: The other Saints Coordinator is also a solid option... even after flopping in Oakland.

Dennis Allen is an established coach with a solid track record and could bring someone like the Saints QB coach Joe Lombardi with him who also has coordinator experience. 

Allen was actually the #1 DC candidate for Zac. I don't know how serious Allen was on coming here because he re-signed with NO shortly after his name popped up for us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Me of course, but not because I have any experience at all coaching anything or because I've never really been a great success working with other people , but examine the facts.  The Brown family loves them some BSers and they love guys whose fathers were successful elsewhere. That's where I come in..my father was mildly successful in print advertising, mostly newspapers. Now I never really worked in print advertising other than for about 2 months for Rikes in Dayton as a gofer when I was about 19.. 
I'll be expecting the call from the Brown family any time now and to be named as the new HC of the 2021 Bungles..and trust me guys. I'll be more than happy to coach remotely from my garage here in South Carolina between working on other projects. I also have another foot up on the competition..my grandson's voice sounds just like Joe Borrow's voice so I can pay him to do voiceovers for Joe when he doesn't feel like it.. I could get him to say things like, "I wouldn't want to work for any other owner in all of football!" and "The Bengals board ..com fans are the most patient bunch of people anywhere and are willing to stay fans even if we never win another game under our great new head coach GRAMPAHOL!"
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Earlier in the thread, I mentioned Patrick Graham. I think a guy I am really coming around on even more is Arthur Smith. He has been the OC for the Titans since 2019. His offense has scored 40+ on six different occasions and has completely turned Ryan Tannehill's career around. He is playing at a borderline MVP candidate level. Sixth in rating, sixth in TDs. I think he would be a really good selection to come in here and build an offensive oriented team with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 12:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Earlier in the thread, I mentioned Patrick Graham. I think a guy I am really coming around on even more is Arthur Smith. He has been the OC for the Titans since 2019. His offense has scored 40+ on six different occasions and has completely turned Ryan Tannehill's career around. He is playing at a borderline MVP candidate level. Sixth in rating, sixth in TDs. I think he would be a really good selection to come in here and build an offensive oriented team with Burrow.

I think the scenario of a combo HC/GM ala' Marvin is our most realistic scenario here based on Mikeys track record.
That said, a guy that has charisma, success ,  and connections through out the league is what we need ....in addition to proven track record in developing young QBs.

*** Watched Browns /Ravens last night....even though they lost the Browns are FOR REAL...impressed with that team now...and I dont think it will be long before they are at top of the Div.  When  Big Ben hangs them up the "changing of the guard " is coming.  MIke Brown has to be ashamed in some way watching these two Division teams battle it out on Prime Time like a heavy weight fight for the Div  while he sits there farting and wondering when his boy wonder coach is going to turn things around.   

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:51 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: We need someone who has a proven track record on improving an organization and is an offensive genius.  Matt Campbell Iowa State is my choice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No offense, but I don't think you can use the word "proven" with a college coach when talking about an NFL opening.

There's been too many examples of great college coaches who just don't translate to the NFL.  It's just an entirely different animal.   Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Chip Kelly, and Greg Schiano all immediately come to mind.

And not for nothing, but Matt Campbell is 69-42 as a college coach.  Not bad by any stretch, but far from great.  This would actually be the first year in his 10 year HC career that he finished being ranked in the top 25.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy.  He's done a good job at Iowa State, I just think he's getting a little too much shine right now.  But who knows, you could have said much of the same about Kliff Kinsgbury too.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I would love to have his offensive mind and experience here. I just wish we had a real GM because I think Carmichael would do well if he just had to focus on coaching.

i dont really care if the coach is defensive minded or offensive minded...  

With burrow in hand seems like a solid OC and A Defensive coach would be a solid way to go.

Just not looking for another Coach that also wants to be the Coordinator
Reply/Quote
I want a proven winner at the highest level to be the next coach of the Cincinnati Bengals. I don’t want Marvin Lewis back but he was a proven winner as a defensive coordinator in Baltimore and this is the way to proceed; no more “we think this guy has potential” crap.

Cincinnati needs a head coach with a lifetime winning record. This actually eliminates a lot of candidates including Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio, Dirk Koetter, and Todd Haley.

The only former coaches who have winning records are Jeff Fisher, Brad Childress, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, John Fox, and Wade Phillips. So does Marvin Lewis but that’s absolutely out of the question.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 01:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I want a proven winner at the highest level to be the next coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.  I don’t want Marvin Lewis back but he was a proven winner as a defensive coordinator in Baltimore and this is the way to proceed; no more “we think this guy has potential” crap.

Cincinnati needs a head coach with a lifetime winning record. This actually eliminates a lot of candidates including Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio, Dirk Koetter, and Todd Haley.

The only former coaches who have winning records are Jeff Fisher, Brad Childress, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, John Fox, and Wade Phillips.   So does Marvin Lewis but that’s absolutely out of the question.

There is some appeal with that approach.  But I have two concerns with it.  

1) Would a coach really come out of retirement to come and coach any team, let alone the Bengals with the additional media circus it'll create? 

2) These guys are older, which isn't a knock in any way considering ages of other HCs, but makes me wonder how energetic they'd be for how long.  I look at Marvin when he left, how run down he was, beaten up.  It's one thing to jump in at 50 and fight it out for 5 years.  But Dungy is 65, Childress is 64, Fox is 65 and Wade is 73.  I guess I just don't see it.  Not as a HC.  As a GM, I could see those guys coming in with a passion still for the game, but not needing to deal with all of the HC duties.  I still see it as most likely they bring in a younger guy.  But I'd sure love to have the connections and long-standing passion for the game these guys offer if they would consider replacing Tobin! 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 01:52 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: There is some appeal with that approach.  But I have two concerns with it.  

1) Would a coach really come out of retirement to come and coach any team, let alone the Bengals with the additional media circus it'll create? 

2) These guys are older, which isn't a knock in any way considering ages of other HCs, but makes me wonder how energetic they'd be for how long.  I look at Marvin when he left, how run down he was, beaten up.  It's one thing to jump in at 50 and fight it out for 5 years.  But Dungy is 65, Childress is 64, Fox is 65 and Wade is 73.  I guess I just don't see it.  Not as a HC.  As a GM, I could see those guys coming in with a passion still for the game, but not needing to deal with all of the HC duties.  I still see it as most likely they bring in a younger guy.  But I'd sure love to have the connections and long-standing passion for the game these guys offer if they would consider replacing Tobin! 

I totally understand where you’re coming from but hear me out please. I think Zac Taylor is too close in age to the players to be fully respected. In the NFL the head coach needs to be an authority figure not a peer or a buddy. I am not saying a young coach cannot be successful in Cincinnati but I believe an older, more experienced coach should be brought in at least for a few years to mentor younger coaches and especially to develop a sense of respect and authority among the players.

With this in mind we also remember Joe Burrow has expressed his confidence in Zac Taylor. This should not be a point of concern as a quarterback is expected to lead the team in all ways. If Joe Burrow had shown any sign of disloyalty to the coach it would be an issue. This should not hinder the Front Office in replacing Zac immediately.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 01:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I totally understand where you’re coming from but hear me out please. I think Zac Taylor is too close in age to the players to be fully respected. In the NFL the head coach needs to be an authority figure not a peer or a buddy.   I am not saying a young coach cannot be successful in Cincinnati but I believe an older, more experienced coach should be brought in at least for a few years to mentor younger coaches and especially to develop a sense of respect and authority among the players.

With this in mind we also remember Joe Burrow has expressed his confidence in Zac Taylor.  This should not be a point of concern as a quarterback is expected to lead the team in all ways.  If Joe Burrow had shown any sign of disloyalty to the coach it would be an issue.   This should not hinder the Front Office in replacing Zac immediately.

I don't disagree that bringing in a successful former HC would be a major shot in the arm for the team.  I just don't see any of those guys wanting to come in as a HC, or any of them really even being on the radar.  It might be the best option for the team, but it's not as sexy as trying to hit on the "next great thing" which is exactly what I think they hoped for with ZT.  

I could see the Bengals bringing in a guy like Guenther or Jay Gruden.  They have experience with the org and leading teams.  But if that's the "experienced" options we have, give me a young guy with potential.  

If they could somehow wrangle one of those former greats to come in as GM or advisor of some kind, though, I'd be ecstatic.  
Reply/Quote