Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Pick the next HC
(12-15-2020, 01:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I totally understand where you’re coming from but hear me out please. I think Zac Taylor is too close in age to the players to be fully respected.

Completely agree.  There are two exceptions to this, which he does not fit into either.

Exception 1: Young coach who was a former NFL player.  This can bring added respect, because the players know you played at the highest level.  Ex: Mike Vrabel

Exception 2:  Young coach who runs a "fun" and exciting system.  Energy counteracts and brings respect.  Ex: Kliff Kingsbury

When you're a young coach, who never really played, and you run a dink and dunk offense players are neither impressed by your resume, nor energized by your approach.

The least he could have done is surrounded himself with well respected coordinators, who can act as the authority and the mouthpiece for him.  But he didn't even do that.  He went with yet another young OC, with no track record, and journeyman position coach DC.

All of this is a recipe for disaster.  These players don't buy into this bs.  They sniffed it out well before any of us did.
Reply/Quote
Besides Zac Taylor, I can't remember who else the Bengals seriously interviewed during that process. Can anyone help refresh my memory a bit?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Besides Zac Taylor, I can't remember who else the Bengals seriously interviewed during that process.  Can anyone help refresh my memory a bit?

IIRC, they interviewed Hue, Lazor, Vance Joseph and Darren Simmons first. They interviewed Zac and Shane Waldron on the same trip. They reportedly interviewed Bieniemy and Todd Monken as well. Also wanted to interview Kubiak, but I think that was for OC.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 07:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IIRC, they interviewed Hue, Lazor, Vance Joseph and Darren Simmons first. They interviewed Zac and Shane Waldron on the same trip. They reportedly interviewed Bieniemy and Todd Monken as well. Also wanted to interview Kubiak, but I think that was for OC.

If the Bengals sac Zac, I wouldn't mind seeing Joseph or Bienemy given more serious consideration, unless they flat out expressed fundamental differences in working with the Bengals Management.  As for the others, Waldron might have been the better choice than Zac, but you never know if there was even mutual interest from Waldron.  Monken may feel a need to accomplish something bigger as HC of UGA, and Kubiak likely looked at the Bengals organizationally, and just said "no thanks".

Now, if worst comes to worst, Simmons might not be such a bad candidate.  He's been a coordinator forever, and his rolodex must be pretty thick with contacts by now..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 03:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If - and it's a big if - Zac is let go at the end of the year, the Bengals will be searching for another head coach. Here's a list of names to choose from. Pick 5 guys you would want interviewed to be the new Bengals head coach. Once there's enough choices, we'll figure out the top 5 and then have a poll to pick who we would want as the new HC.

Eric Bieniemy (OC Chiefs)
Arthur Smith (OC Titans)
Greg Roman (OC Ravens)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Brian Schottenheimer (OC Seahawks)
Nick Sirianni (OC Colts)
Jay Gruden (OC Jags)
Brian Daboll (OC Bills)
Byron Leftwich (OC Bucs)
Joe Brady (OC Panthers)
Harold Goodwin (AHC Bucs)
Duce Staley (AHC Eagles)
Dan Campbell (AHC Saints)
Jim Caldwell (Former HC Lions, Colts)

Robert Saleh (DC 49ers
Matt Eberflus (DC Colts)
Dennis Allen (DC Saints)
Wink Martindale (DC Ravens)
Raheem Morris (IntHC Falcons)
Steve Spagnuolo (DC Chiefs)
Jack Del Rio (DC WFT)
Todd Bowles (DC Bucs)
Patrick Graham (DC Giants)
Brandon Staley (DC Rams)
Leslie Frazier (DC Bills)
Vance Joseph (DC Cards)
Andre Patterson (Co-DC Vikes)
Dan Quinn (Former HC Falcons)

Jim Harbaugh (HC Michigan)
Pat Fitzgerald (HC Northwestern)
Matt Campbell (HC Iowa St)

Eric Bieniemy (OC Chiefs)

Joe Brady (OC Panthers)
Robert Saleh (DC 49ers)

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 07:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IIRC, they interviewed Hue, Lazor, Vance Joseph and Darren Simmons first. They interviewed Zac and Shane Waldron on the same trip. They reportedly interviewed Bieniemy and Todd Monken as well. Also wanted to interview Kubiak, but I think that was for OC.

Our coaching search last year was so weird. Usually you always see a coaching search come down to multiple names. There was nothing with us. Zac was target #1, according to the local guys, and we never heard who were the other serious contenders for the job. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, just don't understand it at all. There's literally nothing to defend at this point. The guy has just been insanely bad, and what's worse is he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He's stubborn as hell, and has a pretty big ego for someone that's accomplished so little. I've said it before, but he actually reminds me a lot of Mike.

I liked the Taylor hire initially, and I still think it was worth a shot to hire a young offensive-minded HC, but I'm ready to admit that Taylor wasn't the right guy. The question is, will this FO be willing to do the same?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 02:12 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I liked the Taylor hire initially, and I still think it was worth a shot to hire a young offensive-minded HC, but I'm ready to admit that Taylor wasn't the right guy. The question is, will this FO be willing to do the same?

This exactly where I'm at. We needed to move on from Marvin. I was happy with the Taylor hire because it would provide something completely new. Unfortunately, Zac has completely flopped and is staring down the barrel of being the worst coach in franchise history. Hopefully we will try something else new next season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
As sad as it is to say we need to see this team totally collapse the last 3 games or I think Zac is back.

We know the Brown family and their stubbornness to make changes, Zac has been a failure but unless something major happens I honestly don't see a change at the HC position.

Now if we are lucky enough to see him fired as he should be my candidates would be Jack DelRio, Doug Marrone or Bill O'Brien. I know O'Brien struggled also wearing the GM hat in Houston but as a coach he won 4 AFC South Divisions, mentored a young Deshaun Watson and won playoff games.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 10:17 AM)corpjet Wrote: As sad as it is to say we need to see this team totally collapse the last 3 games or I think Zac is back.

We know the Brown family and their stubbornness to make changes, Zac has been a failure but unless something major happens I honestly don't see a change at the HC position.

Now if we are lucky enough to see him fired as he should be my candidates would be Jack DelRio, Doug Marrone or Bill O'Brien. I know O'Brien struggled also wearing the GM hat in Houston but as a coach he won 4 AFC South Divisions, mentored a young Deshaun Watson and won playoff games.

But he’d be in a similar role here. Tim McGee just recently spoke in an interview about how much more Bengals head coaches have to do compared to most other places.

I don’t want BOB anywhere near this team.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 10:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But he’d be in a similar role here. Tim McGee just recently spoke in an interview about how much more Bengals head coaches have to do compared to most other places.

I don’t want BOB anywhere near this team.

Yeah, BOB is garbage. Not only was he reportedly an absolute asshole to work for, the trading of Hopkins for David Johnson is unforgivable. Keep him away.
Reply/Quote
BOB ****** the Texans for years.

I want him nowhere near here.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 12:56 PM)Big Boss Wrote: BOB ****** the Texans for years.

I want him nowhere near here.

I agree - we already have the Brown family here and they have proven that they don’t need any help with destroying this franchise.

I am liking Lincoln Riley for HC. He’s had great success with QBs and is young but has experience as a HC (just not in the NFL). He is a respected offensive mind who I think would work well with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 01:27 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I agree - we already have the Brown family here and they have proven that they don’t need any help with destroying this franchise.

I am liking Lincoln Riley for HC. He’s had great success with QBs and is young but has experience as a HC (just not in the NFL).  He  is a respected offensive mind who I think would work well with Burrow.

A Riley isn't going to come here...which is our problem.

Joe Burrow was the big appeal to get a coach here. I'd say he had an average season. Nothing special...and now he has a busted knee that if all goes well will heal right around the time the season starts.

Doubting a Riley will leave OK to come here.
Reply/Quote
No to Harbaugh.

Dude has never won a conf he coached in college and has yet to develop a QB, (I think Luck actually made Harbaugh at Stanford).

Of the pro ranks, I'd go for Kubiak, Phillips or Del Rio.

College would be Franklin, Fleck, Riley or Patterson.
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 02:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A Riley isn't going to come here...which is our problem.

Joe Burrow was the big appeal to get a coach here. I'd say he had an average season. Nothing special...and now he has a busted knee that if all goes well will heal right around the time the season starts.

I’d say Burrow had a better than average rookie season given all the circumstances. And it was definitely special. He was breaking a bunch of records early on, and was right there with Herbert for OROY.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 01:27 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I agree - we already have the Brown family here and they have proven that they don’t need any help with destroying this franchise.

I am liking Lincoln Riley for HC. He’s had great success with QBs and is young but has experience as a HC (just not in the NFL). He is a respected offensive mind who I think would work well with Burrow.

I just don’t think Riley would come here, even with the allure of an NFL job. He is the absolute man at OU and is coaching a perennial powerhouse program. He is set to make $7.5 million a year until 2025 at OU and they are going to be in the CFP talks pretty much every year.

I don’t see the reason why he would leave OU to come to Cincinnati, a rebuilding team that is notorious for having a laughable FO and very little scouting help. That is really going to continue to hamstring this organization.
Reply/Quote
There's no way Taylor is going anywhere. He's 2 years into a 5 year contract. I'll bet he's making 5 million a year. Mike Brown isn't going to eat 3 years and 15 million. Taylor will get another 3 years to turn it around whether we like it or not. He probably deserves to be fired but its Mike Brown were talking about.

We have 20 coaches and none of them can figure out how turn this around. This team is beyond a joke. I don't even bother analyzing this team or stressing about it because I'm not getting paid so there's no need to even concern myself with this trash organization.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Mike Brown is really into "redemption" then maybe Art Briles would be a candidate.

He won "Coach of the Year" in both Conference USA ('06) and the Big 12 ('13).

I think the wheels are in motion.

Art Briles resigns as coach of Mount Vernon High School football (espn.com)

Former Baylor head football coach Art Briles resigned as head coach at Mount Vernon (Texas) High School on Monday, the school announced.

Briles, who was 20-6 at the small East Texas school in two seasons, led the Tigers to the state semifinals this year. 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 02:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A Riley isn't going to come here...which is our problem.

Hopefully Burrow mends quickly or we get a real backup QB in here.  If we go into 2021 with ZT and a 3rd string backup QB and are 1-5 or something by the time Burrow gets on the field we'll be right back to hoping to lose for draft position for the 3rd year in a row.  Ah, but I'm thinking ahead with pessimism. 

(12-17-2020, 05:39 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: No to Harbaugh.

Dude has never won a conf he coached in college and has yet to develop a QB, (I think Luck actually made Harbaugh at Stanford).

Of the pro ranks, I'd go for Kubiak, Phillips or Del Rio.

College would be Franklin, Fleck, Riley or Patterson.

Jim Hairball made it to the SB with a QB that many people feel wasn't fit to even be on an NFL roster.
Reply/Quote