Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
PnR Decorum and suspensions
(09-12-2017, 07:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say I got a kick out of reading some of the hypocritical, self-serving, and down right false posts in this thread during my timeout. It was entertaining. Thanks guys,

I don't get it.

Why did you only read my posts?

Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-12-2017, 10:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: That didn't take long.

For you to start stalking him?    Smirk
[Image: popcorn-theater.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-12-2017, 07:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say I got a kick out of reading some of the hypocritical, self-serving, and down right false posts in this thread during my timeout. It was entertaining. Thanks guys,

Welcome back mate.

Glad to see you return to the forum.
I just wanted to put something out there. I have no objections to deleting my posts, or anyone else's, if they are seen as a violation of the CoC. I just ask that if posts are going to be deleted that the person that made them be told about it happening and why. If moderation is going to get a bit more heavy handed, it would be beneficial to know where these lines are going to be.

I'm also saying this because in my current sleep deprived state, I was very confused for a bit this morning over my missing post.
(09-13-2017, 02:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I just wanted to put something out there. I have no objections to deleting my posts, or anyone else's, if they are seen as a violation of the CoC. I just ask that if posts are going to be deleted that the person that made them be told about it happening and why. If moderation is going to get a bit more heavy handed, it would be beneficial to know where these lines are going to be.

I'm also saying this because in my current sleep deprived state, I was very confused for a bit this morning over my missing post.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing more post deletion. Especially ones that take the thread off track or just personal nonsense/stalking.

In my opinion This has always been a better solution than suspensions or bans.
(09-13-2017, 02:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing more post deletion. Especially ones that take the thread off track or just personal nonsense/stalking.

In my opinion This has always been a better solution than suspensions or bans.

Like I said, no objections to post deletion. I just think that doing so without notifying the person that made the post what about it was objectionable means there is no real opportunity for corrective action and so the unwanted behavior continues.
(09-13-2017, 02:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I just wanted to put something out there. I have no objections to deleting my posts, or anyone else's, if they are seen as a violation of the CoC. I just ask that if posts are going to be deleted that the person that made them be told about it happening and why. If moderation is going to get a bit more heavy handed, it would be beneficial to know where these lines are going to be.

Deleted posts are a lot more common than suspensions or bannings and are generally done so that we don't have to suspend or ban someone. I really don't see that as being heavy handed from that perspective. We usually will send a PM to someone when we delete an offending post (although sometimes we don't because the perpetrators have done it so often that they know why it was deleted anyway).

What happens a lot (and I can almost guarantee this is what happened in your post in question) is that the poster quotes a post that is destined to be deleted. In that case, the quoting post gets deleted as well. If your post has been deleted and you have no idea why, see if the post you quoted got deleted as well.

Because this happens a lot (i.e. 1 asshat post gets 5 to 10 quotes, each generally saying it is an asshat post), we just don't have time to go through and PM everyone who quoted and got deleted also. Sorry.

In summation: just because your post was deleted doesn't mean the post violated the CoC. It could be that you quoted someone else who violated the CoC (or who generally got on my f***ing nerves because they are consistently derailing conversations to make negative personal comments about other posters).

Clear as mud?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-13-2017, 04:32 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Deleted posts are a lot more common than suspensions or bannings and are generally done so that we don't have to suspend or ban someone. I really don't see that as being heavy handed from that perspective. We usually will send a PM to someone when we delete an offending post (although sometimes we don't because the perpetrators have done it so often that they know why it was deleted anyway).

What happens a lot (and I can almost guarantee this is what happened in your post in question) is that the poster quotes a post that is destined to be deleted. In that case, the quoting post gets deleted as well. If your post has been deleted and you have no idea why, see if the post you quoted got deleted as well.

Because this happens a lot (i.e. 1 asshat post gets 5 to 10 quotes, each generally saying it is an asshat post), we just don't have time to go through and PM everyone who quoted and got deleted also. Sorry.

In summation: just because your post was deleted doesn't mean the post violated the CoC. It could be that you quoted someone else who violated the CoC (or who generally got on my f***ing nerves because they are consistently derailing conversations to make negative personal comments about other posters).

Clear as mud?

Yeah, we're good. I also got a message about it from the likely culprit. I will be honest, the post that I quoted that got deleted, I forgot about that post (and the reason it was deleted). This is what happens when Matt leaves work at 2:30 am and returns at 7 am.
(09-13-2017, 02:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Like I said, no objections to post deletion. I just think that doing so without notifying the person that made the post what about it was objectionable means there is no real opportunity for corrective action and so the unwanted behavior continues.

I can agree with this, usually they get deleted when reported. I would love to have the post list who reported the post for moderation.

This alone would reduce moderation here
(09-13-2017, 08:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can agree with this, usually they get deleted when reported.  I would love to have the post list who reported the post for moderation.  

This alone would reduce moderation here

No, it wouldn't.  (said in my best Adam Sandler voice, like when Chris Farley alluded to getting up in Bridgette Wilson's skirt in Billy Madison)

In fact, it would likely lead to more heavy handed moderation, as a result of all the intense feuding that would likely occur.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-13-2017, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, it wouldn't.  (said in my best Adam Sandler voice, like when Chris Farley alluded to getting up in Bridgette Wilson's skirt in Billy Madison)

In fact, it would likely lead to more heavy handed moderation, as a result of all the intense feuding that would likely occur.

I would think it would be pretty embarrassing to see who reported posts. That alone should shame people from hitting the report post
(09-13-2017, 08:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I would think it would be pretty embarrassing to see who reported posts.  That alone should shame people from hitting the report post

Yeah, well there is also a reason the police accept and act upon anonymous tips..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-13-2017, 08:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I would think it would be pretty embarrassing to see who reported posts.  That alone should shame people from hitting the report post

Unfortuntely it would likely discourage people from reporting posts as well for fear of retribution.
(09-13-2017, 11:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Unfortuntely it would likely discourage people from reporting posts as well for fear of retribution.

Maybe borderline posts. Which I imagine is most of what you guys get.

Just curious Is there a counter on reported posts per forum by day or week?
You guys are saints
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-13-2017, 01:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Welcome back mate.    

Glad to see you return to the forum.

Thanks, but I'm not sure have active I'll be. When I looked at some of the back and forth and think "Damn, I was party to that," it makes me question my actions.

The reason I think I was banned (never could get an answer and got time added to my ban when I made assumptions via PM) is that I started a thread asking what we could do to  make the forum more civil (at least 2 of my suggestions have been implemented while I was banned). So I cannot in good conscious become a party to that environment again. I do monitor the forum frequently and will most likely become an active member; just not to the extent as before. 

I will strive to not tell anyone that they are "wrong" and will fight the urge to defend my stance in a non-constructive manner when others say I am "wrong". Will I be able to live up to it? Who knows; they Natty Light may have an influence. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-13-2017, 11:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Maybe borderline posts.   Which I imagine is most of what you guys get.  

I won't go into specifics, but I think most of the reports (or at least the ones I see) are of the "this guy isn't a real Bengals fan" in JN. That or "can you ban this guy from, JN, he's too negative/homer."

Quote:Just curious Is there a counter on reported posts per forum by day or week?

Hmmm. No idea. For me, there's a message that says there are X unread reports, with a link to the reports panel. Once it's read, we can either leave it for other staff to look at, or delete it. If it's an issue that's easily resolved or pretty blatantly a CoC violation, a Mod will probably take care of it and delete he report. If it's something they want feedback on, the report might get left for a while in order to let everyone have a gander.

I will say, too, that time of year has a great deal to do with it. Offseason, JN reports drop, but smack, pnr and other areas shoot up. During the season, there's a lot more people in JN, so more problems.
(09-14-2017, 11:15 AM)Benton Wrote: I won't go into specifics, but I think most of the reports (or at least the ones I see) are of the "this guy isn't a real Bengals fan" in JN. That or "can you ban this guy from, JN, he's too negative/homer."

Hmmm. No idea. For me, there's a message that says there are X unread reports, with a link to the reports panel. Once it's read, we can either leave it for other staff to look at, or delete it. If it's an issue that's easily resolved or pretty blatantly a CoC violation, a Mod will probably take care of it and delete he report. If it's something they want feedback on, the report might get left for a while in order to let everyone have a gander.

I will say, too, that time of year has a great deal to do with it. Offseason, JN reports drop, but smack, pnr and other areas shoot up. During the season, there's a lot more people in JN, so more problems.

It's like Biggie said, "Mo' losses, mo' problems."
(09-14-2017, 10:31 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks, but I'm not sure have active I'll be. When I looked at some of the back and forth and think "Damn, I was party to that," it makes me question my actions.

The reason I think I was banned (never could get an answer and got time added to my ban when I made assumptions via PM) is that I started a thread asking what we could do to  make the forum more civil (at least 2 of my suggestions have been implemented while I was banned). So I cannot in good conscious become a party to that environment again. I do monitor the forum frequently and will most likely become an active member; just not to the extent as before. 

I will strive to not tell anyone that they are "wrong" and will fight the urge to defend my stance in a non-constructive manner when others say I am "wrong". Will I be able to live up to it? Who knows; they Natty Light may have an influence. 

Do not blame you in the slightest.