Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race, culture and assimilation
(06-13-2016, 08:38 PM)jason Wrote: Americans love to claim that they are part native American. Most of our ancestors came here after the whole assimilate the Indians idea was replaced by removal and extermination. So I'd say the likelihood of ol Grandpappy getting it on with a squaw is minimal. They always claim that they are part Cherokee. Is it because that's the only nation they have heard of? How come I never meet a guy that is half Nez Perce? No Comanches. No Delaware. No Crow. Me personally, I'd dream up a Lakota ancestor. I just find that to be a comical element of American culture.

No lie, I was told my entire life I was Native American.  Cherokee, Blackfoot, Shawnee and Sioux.  Come to find out, I have 0% Native American DNA. 

The only reason I am Native is because I was born in Ohio.
(06-13-2016, 08:38 PM)jason Wrote: Americans love to claim that they are part native American. Most of our ancestors came here after the whole assimilate the Indians idea was replaced by removal and extermination. So I'd say the likelihood of ol Grandpappy getting it on with a squaw is minimal. They always claim that they are part Cherokee. Is it because that's the only nation they have heard of? How come I never meet a guy that is half Nez Perce? No Comanches. No Delaware. No Crow. Me personally, I'd dream up a Lakota ancestor. I just find that to be a comical element of American culture.
Your region maybe? I do have Cherokee relatives, although the only one that was full was a great grandfather. That's probably got something to do with most of my family coming from the same area. But I have met people from several other tribes, mostly out west.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-13-2016, 10:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Your region maybe? I do have Cherokee relatives, although the only one that was full was a great grandfather. That's probably got something to do with most of my family coming from the same area. But I have met people from several other tribes, mostly out west.

I think the problem is that a lot of people tend to categorize the tribes by their languages. I could talk about the Monacan, Tutelo, Saponi, Mattaponi, Chickahominy, or the Powhatans, but their language groups were Siouan and Algonquin, and since Virginia tribes aren't federally recognized people tend to go with that instead for identity.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I'm about 75% Slapaho.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-13-2016, 09:46 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: No lie, I was told my entire life I was Native American.  Cherokee, Blackfoot, Shawnee and Sioux.  Come to find out, I have 0% Native American DNA. 

The only reason I am Native is because I was born in Ohio.
Same here. Every white person I know claims they are part native American. All of them are Cherokee too. Maybe they are, and I'm the oddity. Just seems funny to me.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(06-13-2016, 07:12 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: "as long as the foreigner is not following different laws or given the ability to follow different laws than the rest of Americans are."  This is what I have posted.  
From where you get your 
"Yup I know you want to bury your head in the sand unless it affects you.   Would you sit by and allow a man to drag his child out of school by her hair? Would you just sit back and watch?"
I have no idea.

No.   I said you were describing assimilation and that's a good thing.  

Where you went off is that you refused to "label" it assimilation even though you were describing it exactly.   I imagine most here support assimilation over integration of they knew exactly what either word meant.   I don't blame you for not wanting to actually use the word assimilate ...   There are enough around here to call you a racist or xenophobic.    They love to play fast and loose with those labels. 
(06-13-2016, 08:32 PM)Benton Wrote: And this sums up the back and forth between many posters and yourself. To the bold, most people do. The ones that don't are typically criminals. They're a minority in our country. They're a minority in most countries. Not people who make a bad decision, or someone who breaks traffic law, I mean actual criminals like child abusers, spousal abusers, murderers, etc. We have those, every country does.

But where your posts turn to xenophobia is with those next two lines. You point to a minority and say "look, all those people are bad." And then there's the inevitable circle where it gets pointed out that every country — even our own which is unarguably the best country going — has a minority of morons. "These Muslims in Europe" are as diverse as 'those Baptists in Arkansas' or 'those Irish guys in Derry' or 'those ladies from Argentina.' The thing is, the idea of all people coming here is old, and so is the same fear that makes you post flawed concepts and unfounded stories. Acceptance and tolerance take time, but it happens quicker with open minds.

Did you not defend the criminal who married his child cousin/wife and expected to be accepted as husband and wife in Germany?  Do you want to import this into our country?   You are ok seeing them pop up in your neighborhoods?  

It's not xenophobic to want to have a common sense immigration policy.  We shouldn't have an open door.   It's not easy to get into Harvard and it shouldn't be easy to get into the USA.   We need restrictions, Australian style point system to make sure we are letting in the people who are going to actually enrich our country.   We don't need people who marry children, think all women are like dogs, or drop deuces in public. Unless these people have a high likelihood of assimilation then they shouldn't come.     
(06-13-2016, 10:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Your region maybe? I do have Cherokee relatives, although the only one that was full was a great grandfather. That's probably got something to do with most of my family coming from the same area. But I have met people from several other tribes, mostly out west.
Oh no doubt. I've known several full blooded Native Americans in my life. I know that some people truly are part native. It also makes sense since the Cherokee were the largest nation. But literally every white person that I know ( my wife included) claims they are Cherokee. I just noticed that one sentence in your post and thought I'd share. It just cracks me up. Certainly didn't mean offense to anybody or to derail anything.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(06-13-2016, 10:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think the problem is that a lot of people tend to categorize the tribes by their languages. I could talk about the Monacan, Tutelo, Saponi, Mattaponi, Chickahominy, or the Powhatans, but their language groups were Siouan and Algonquin, and since Virginia tribes aren't federally recognized people tend to go with that instead for identity.

Actually it's probably a good thing the Indians died out for the most part.    Without them there was no need for tribal bickering.  

I have said it before and will still say that I am glad we were a British colony.  
(06-13-2016, 10:30 PM)jason Wrote: Same here. Every white person I know claims they are part native American. All of them are Cherokee too. Maybe they are, and I'm the oddity. Just seems funny to me.

English and Irish family.  No Indian here.   

I know what you mean though it's like their calling card for minority cred lol. Since I have a black friend doesn't work haha
(06-13-2016, 10:50 PM)jason Wrote: Oh no doubt. I've known several full blooded Native Americans in my life. I know that some people truly are part native. It also makes sense since the Cherokee were the largest nation. But literally every white person that I know ( my wife included) claims they are Cherokee. I just noticed that one sentence in your post and thought I'd share. It just cracks me up. Certainly didn't mean offense to anybody or to derail anything.

Thank you for saying that.
I'll admit it, I got kind of pissed.
The thing that helped me calm down a bit it that you generally seem like a decent guy.

Make your friends shave their head.
If their skull structure is Mongoloid, then it's a pretty fair bet they are telling the truth.

Most of my family with Native blood (that I take after genetically) die in their 60's.
We have vicious tempers, prone to obesity, high blood pressure, and stroke.
I was also a severe alcoholic for 12 years, you know the old stereotype.
I think the only benefits are fast reflexes and high pain tolerance, which the latter can get you killed.

So... here's an pic from a few years ago.
You're welcome to have a giggle, if you see no traits.

[Image: 30102.jpg]
(06-13-2016, 10:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Actually it's probably a good thing the Indians died out for the most part.    Without them there was no need for tribal bickering.  

I have said it before and will still say that I am glad we were a British colony.  

Yes.  Luckily we stopped fighting with each other after the Indians luckily died out.

Mellow

Just disgusting.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-13-2016, 10:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Actually it's probably a good thing the Indians died out for the most part.    Without them there was no need for tribal bickering.  

(06-13-2016, 10:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: English and Irish family.  No Indian here.   

I know what you mean though it's like their calling card for minority cred lol.   Since I have a black friend doesn't work haha

I'm gonna scalp ya, ya limey tater sucker.
Ninja <----- not ninja......warpaint

Tongue
(06-13-2016, 10:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: English and Irish family.  No Indian here.   

I know what you mean though it's like their calling card for minority cred lol. Since I have a black friend doesn't work haha

I think it's more of a romanticized ideal. I think that most Americans subconsciously think of Native Americans as a flawless people who lived off the land. They like to believe they come from some sort of warrior culture. My parents, and many of yours grew up listening to westerns on the radio, and watching them on the big screen. It's only natural that exaggeration sets in somewhere.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(06-13-2016, 11:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes.  Luckily we stopped fighting with each other after the Indians luckily died out.

Mellow

Just disgusting.

Hey we could be worse off and had been a Spanish or Dutch colony ....  Or should I say Central America ......
(06-13-2016, 11:18 PM)jason Wrote: I think it's more of a romanticized ideal. I think that most Americans subconsciously think of Native Americans as a flawless people who lived off the land. They like to believe they come from some sort of warrior culture. My parents, and many of yours grew up listening to westerns on the radio, and watching them on the big screen. It's only natural that exaggeration sets in somewhere.

Well said.   Agree.   
(06-13-2016, 11:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm gonna scalp ya, ya limey tater sucker.
Ninja <----- not ninja......warpaint

Tongue

Fun fact: When people want to insult Belorussians they call them potato .   

The English/Irish potato connection always gives me a laugh. Had My grandmother lived long enough to have met my wife she would have loved the fact people call them potatoes even though they take it as a major insult.   From what I understand It's along the same lines as tossing out the N word.   
(06-13-2016, 11:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Fun fact: When people want to insult Belorussians they call them potato .   

The English/Irish potato connection always gives me a laugh. Had My grandmother lived long enough to have met my wife she would have loved the fact people call them potatoes even though they take it as a major insult.   From what I understand It's along the same lines as tossing out the N word.   

If that is the case, I apologize.

I have had plenty of British and Irish friends that use the terms on one another and never heard of them being offensive.
I suppose the same thing actually happens with the N word, within certain groups.
I'll have to grill them about the topic.
ThumbsUp
(06-13-2016, 11:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Hey we could be worse off and had been a Spanish or Dutch colony ....  Or should I say Central America ......

Or Florida.

Dope.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-13-2016, 11:07 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Thank you for saying that.
I'll admit it, I got kind of pissed.
The thing that helped me calm down a bit it that you generally seem like a decent guy.

Make your friends shave their head.
If their skull structure is Mongoloid, then it's a pretty fair bet they are telling the truth.

Most of my family with Native blood (that I take after genetically) die in their 60's.
We have vicious tempers, prone to obesity, high blood pressure, and stroke.
I was also a severe alcoholic for 12 years, you know the old stereotype.
I think the only benefits are fast reflexes and high pain tolerance, which the latter can get you killed.

So... here's an pic from a few years ago.
You're welcome to have a giggle, if you see no traits.

[Image: 30102.jpg]
The only giggle I had was that I always pictured you as that dude in the military dress suit that used to be in your avatar. Definitely not you.... Don't worry. I picture SCS as the guy with the Python around his shoulders in his Sig... Probably is him.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021