Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rank our Backup QB
I have a tendency to be a bit of a homer at times, but if this were madden we could call AJ the starter and trade dalton to the raiders Ninja Seriously though, where do u rank us at the backup QB position. I think we have a top 5 backup QB in the league, and honestly theres no guy I would rather have as a backup. Although I hate the man, AJ reminds me of TOM BRADY with his fire to compete and his overall demeanor. I dont want a QB controversy to start out of this, thats not the question. What is the question is how do u feel about AJ, should dalton go down again? I think we're in good hands. Discuss
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 05:01 AM)Itsmebobd Wrote: I have a tendency to be a bit of a homer at times, but if this were madden we could call AJ the starter and trade dalton to the raiders  Ninja  Seriously though, where do u rank us at the backup QB position. I think we have a top 5 backup QB in the league, and honestly theres no guy I would rather have as a backup. Although I hate the man, AJ reminds me of TOM BRADY with his fire to compete and his overall demeanor. I dont want a QB controversy to start out of this, thats not the question. What is the question is how do u feel about AJ, should dalton go down again? I think we're in good hands. Discuss

Mike Glennon
Jimmy Garoppolo
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Zach Mettenberger
Matt McGloin
Paxton Lynch
Brett Hundley
Christian Hacknenberg
Connor Cook

There's 10 guys right there that I would take over McCarron right now.

McCarron is not like Tom Brady outside of "confidence" that you try to bring up. But even looking at numbers of how they started and such, McCarron is pretty pedestrian and doesn't even come close to the numbers that Brady posted.

How do I feel if McCarron takes over? Not all that great. I could see a few wins here and there, but he hasn't shown any clutch moments andin big games he only seems to do well for a certain time, not the whole game. Look at the Broncos game and the Steelers playoff game. Flashes at moments, but overall was lackluster. Haven't really seen him win a "must win".

Sure, some may argue the 49ers game because that got us to clinch a playoff spot, but even if they Bengals lose out last year, they're in the same exact spot in the playoffs. So ultimately, losing Dalton hurt this team more than some tend to think. Sure, McCarron beat Gabbert and the Ravens 4th string QB, but that's it. That's more of a testament to this team rather than the QB.

If anything, it reminded me of a 2014 playoff Bengals team. A defense that does well but the QB doesn't do much besides game manage. And we obviously don't need that.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 05:48 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Mike Glennon
Jimmy Garoppolo
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Zach Mettenberger
Matt McGloin
Paxton Lynch
Brett Hundley
Christian Hacknenberg
Connor Cook

McCarron is not like Tom Brady outside of "confidence" that you try to bring up. But even looking at numbers of how they started and such, McCarron is pretty pedestrian and doesn't even come close to the numbers that Brady posted.

How do I feel if McCarron takes over? Not all that great. I could see a few wins here and there, but he hasn't shown any clutch moments andin big games he only seems to do well for a certain time, not the whole game. Look at the Broncos game and the Steelers playoff game. Flashes at moments, but overall was lackluster. Haven't really seen him win a "must win".

Sure, some may argue the 49ers game because that got us to clinch a playoff spot, but even if they Bengals lose out last year, they're in the same exact spot in the playoffs. So ultimately, losing Dalton hurt this team more than some tend to think. Sure, McCarron beat Gabbert and the Ravens 4th string QB, but that's it. That's more of a testament to this team rather than the QB.

If anything, it reminded me of a 2014 playoff Bengals team. A defense that does well but the QB doesn't do much besides game manage. And we obviously don't need that.

You're forgetting these backups on your list IMO

Ryan Fitzpatrick
Caron Wentz (or Sam Bradford)
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Matt Schaub

And the Bengals really didn't have that great of a defense in 2014. Burfict was hurt, Geno was hurt, we had no 2nd DE that could get to the passer. JJ Watt had more sacks than our whole team, and we were in the middle of the pack in points allowed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jimmy Garoppolo
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Zach Mettenberger
Matt McGloin
Paxton Lynch
Brett Hundley
Christian Hacknenberg
Connor Cook

He asked you to speak on the back-up not the starter.

l
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 10:25 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: He asked you to speak on the back-up not the starter.

l

Well Dalton has a really good win record, so "a few wins here and there" don't apply
Dalton has shown to be very clutch, so that doesn't seem to apply
Dalton has also won a lot of big games too, unless you think playoff / prime time are the only "big games".
Reply/Quote
Jimmy Garoppolo
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Zach Mettenberger
Matt McGloin
Paxton Lynch
Brett Hundley
Christian Hacknenberg
Connor Cook

The staff may agree with this statement, as they put in a claim for him.

Granted, that may have been in an effort to have a backup in place in order to trade AJ away.
Reply/Quote
The fact that there is and has been trade talk on AJM means he can't be all that bad as an NFL backup. Besides, no one is looking to trade for him to be a backup. Also, don't see too many of these guys mentioned being sought in a trade, except maybe Garoppolo.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 11:08 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The fact that there is and has been trade talk on AJM means he can't be all that bad as an NFL backup. Besides, no one is looking to trade for him to be a backup. Also, don't see too many of these guys mentioned being sought in a trade, except maybe Garoppolo.

There was no trade offer for McCarron. I don't even think any team reached out to see if they could get McCarron either.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 05:48 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Jimmy Garappolo
Zach Mettenberger
Matt McGloin
Paxton Lynch
Brett Hundley
Christian Hacknenberg
Connor Cook

None of these guys have played any where near McCarron's level in either college or the NFL.  I don 't know why you would take any of them over McCarron.

I don't think McCarron is a great QB, but there are not even enough good QBs for every team to have a starter, so when talking about back ups the competition is pretty weak.
Reply/Quote
IDK why we pester each other with these back and forths over a backup QB. I was impressed with what he was able to do last year when thrown in the limelight. He is a backup, and a good one, but lets just keep it that way.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 11:59 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: IDK why we pester each other with these back and forths over a backup QB. I was impressed with what he was able to do last year when thrown in the limelight. He is a backup, and a good one, but lets just keep it that way.

He's a mediocre backup QB. There are around ~10 backups that are better than him (and could be more if they could get the chance). It's not like we have anything special. It's just a lot better than someone like Josh Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 12:47 PM)Brownshoe Wrote:  There are around ~10 backups that are better than him (and could be more if they could get the chance). 

No there are not.

McCarron had a 97 passer rating as a back up.  That is very impressive no matter how you try to nit pick it.

Who are the ten back ups better than McCarron?
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 01:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No there are not.

McCarron had a 97 passer rating as a back up.  That is very impressive no matter how you try to nit pick it.

Who are the ten back ups better than McCarron?

Ryan Fitzpatrick
Caron Wentz
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Matt Shaub
Mike Glennon
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Matt Hasselbeck
Brian Hoyer

And possibly more
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Ryan Fitzpatrick
Caron Wentz
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Matt Shaub
Mike Glennon
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Matt Hasselbeck
Brian Hoyer

And possibly more

Ryan Fitzpatrick
is a stop-gap starter who might just flat out retire

Caron Wentz
brand new, #2 overall pick who is going to start before the year is out

Nick Foles
was worse than McCarron this year and was expected to be a starting QB, way overpaid

Case Keenum
good backup, can spot-start, totally boring

Matt Shaub
Raiders traded a pick and gave this guy 9 million bucks to sit the bench and throw 2 INTs in 10 passes, played worse than McCarron in 2015

Mike Glennon
trade-bait that never gets traded

Chad Henne
I forgot he was still in the league

Josh McCown
admirable fire, but plays like a maniac and gets hurt

Matt Hasselbeck
is retired

Brian Hoyer
threw 4 INTs in his only playoff start and the team got shut out...lord imagine if McCarron did that!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ryan Fitzpatrick
is a stop-gap starter who might just flat out retire

Caron Wentz
brand new, #2 overall pick who is going to start before the year is out

Nick Foles
was worse than McCarron this year and was expected to be a starting QB, way overpaid

Case Keenum
good backup, can spot-start, totally boring

Matt Shaub
Raiders traded a pick and gave this guy 9 million bucks to sit the bench and throw 2 INTs in 10 passes, played worse than McCarron in 2015

Mike Glennon
trade-bait that never gets traded

Chad Henne
I forgot he was still in the league

Josh McCown
admirable fire, but plays like a maniac and gets hurt

Matt Hasselbeck
is retired

Brian Hoyer
threw 4 INTs in his only playoff start and the team got shut out...lord imagine if McCarron did that!

Fitzpatrick - Doesn't mean he's not better
Wentz - Doesn't mean he's not better, and Sam Bradford is better than McCarron too
Foles - Is still better than McCarron, just because he had a bad year with no type of offense around him doesn't make him worse
Keenum - Doesn't mean he's not better
Shaub - I would still take him over McCarron
Glennon - Doesn't mean he's not better
Henne - Doesn't mean he's not better
McCown - Doesn't mean he's not better
Hasselbeck - Whoops
Brian Hoyer - Doesn't mean that he's not better. It's not like McCarron didn't shit himself in the playoffs either, not being able to move the ball at all against a bad defense, had a horrible first down %, Had 1 INT and 3 fumbles. At least Hoyer had more games over 200 yards than under 200 yards unlike McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Ryan Fitzpatrick
Caron Wentz
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Matt Shaub
Mike Glennon
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Matt Hasselbeck
Brian Hoyer

And possibly more

Out of that list, I'm not sure how many guys are actually backups there. Some I don't think are even in the league (hasselbeck, henne), some are going to be starters and the majority just stink.

But it did remind me of when some people really wanted to trade everything for nick foles. LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Fitzpatrick - Doesn't mean he's not better
Wentz - Doesn't mean he's not better, and Sam Bradford is better than McCarron too
Foles - Is still better than McCarron, just because he had a bad year with no type of offense around him doesn't make him worse
Keenum - Doesn't mean he's not better
Shaub - I would still take him over McCarron
Glennon - Doesn't mean he's not better
Henne - Doesn't mean he's not better
McCown - Doesn't mean he's not better
Hasselbeck -  Whoops
Brian Hoyer - Doesn't mean that he's not better. It's not like McCarron didn't shit himself in the playoffs either, not being able to move the ball at all against a bad defense, had a horrible first down %, Had 1 INT and 3 fumbles. At least Hoyer had more games over 200 yards than under 200 yards unlike McCarron.

Fitzpatrick isn't a backup QB, so I don't see why you insist on putting him on the list other than your burning desire to rank people over McCarron. 

I can't tell what your metric for "better" is because you listed a bunch of fallen starting QBs, a #2 overall pick who hasn't taken a snap yet, a retired guy, Mike Glennon, and a slew of QBs who have spent the past few years on the bench or posting worse stats than McCarron.  

You'd honestly rather have Schaub, Henne, Hoyer, and McCown on the team than McCarron?  That strikes me as absurd, but hey to each his own.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: . It's not like McCarron didn't shit himself in the playoffs either, not being able to move the ball at all against a bad defense.

I'd disagree. Nearly every time we had the ball on offense, it rained. Nobody was making a lot of plays on the offensive side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:55 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd disagree. Nearly every time we had the ball on offense, it rained. Nobody was making a lot of plays on the offensive side of the ball.

I don't understand why a Dalton homer would even bring up post-season stats as a knock against a QB.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't understand why a Dalton homer would even bring up post-season stats as a knock against a QB.

Cuz hey, Dalton's career aint over yet ! Ninja
Reply/Quote