Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Receiver in first round?
I see a lot of people talking about drafting a WR with our first round pick. That does not make any sense to me. We already have two very good WRs in Higgins and Boyd. A new guy might provide some improvement but not near as muc as a new guy at a position where we suck.

We desperately need help on the O-line and D-line. We have to address those positions before we can even consider getting another receiver.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see a lot of people talking about drafting a WR with our first round pick.  That does not make any sense to me.  We already have two very good WRs in Higgins and Boyd.  A new guy might provide some improvement but not near as muc as a new guy at a position where we suck.

We desperately need help on the O-line and D-line.  We have to address those positions before we can even consider getting another receiver.

I don't really think there's a DL player worth the 5th overall pick. About the only one I would consider is Rousseau.
I would say the same for OL aside from Sewell.
The players I consider in that range aside from QBs are Sewell (OT), Parsons (LB), Surtain (CB), Farley (CB), Chase (WR). I'd put Smith (WR), Pitts (TE), and Rousseau (DE) right around the 8-12 range.

So I guess my question for you is if Sewell is gone, do you want to "reach" for OL/DL due to need? I realize "reach" is subjective and it really doesn't matter as long as the player is good, but I know some would have that concern.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Rather see them wait till RD 3 or 4 and hopefully
Tylan Wallace is there or Kadarius Toney
This offense needs a gamebreaker that can blow
The lid off a secondary. Edge rusher and OT are more
Pressing needs
Reply/Quote
Conversation has turned to a WR because the position is likely to be the best talent available at the fifth spot. Plus, people like the Burrow and Chase narrative because of the obvious connection.

If Sewell isn't available and the idea is to not take a WR, do they go with one of the defensive players at 5?
Reply/Quote
Lines are a bigger priority and the bpa there is subjective. I'd rather have sewell or rousseau at five than another receiver. People want an aj green replacement but hell we've done ok without aj for a while.

To me, take a chance on somebody with speed in the 3-5 rounds.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see a lot of people talking about drafting a WR with our first round pick. That does not make any sense to me. We already have two very good WRs in Higgins and Boyd. A new guy might provide some improvement but not near as muc as a new guy at a position where we suck.

We desperately need help on the O-line and D-line. We have to address those positions before we can even consider getting another receiver.

I do agree with you that we desperately need line help on both sides.

Sources say the bengals are going balls deep for offensive line help in free agency. If they get a guard/tackle, that would help immensely. As for defensive line help, I bet they are going to add players in 3 and 4. There are some good defensive linemen That can be found here in this draft.

But they also said they were targeting playmakers too. That tells me they may be targeting WR in the first round and maybe a CB in 2.

Expect , even if Sewell is on the board, one of the names of Chase, Smith, Pitts or Waddle to be called at pick 5.

I like Paye and Parsons too, but IDK if they think they are playmakers.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see a lot of people talking about drafting a WR with our first round pick.  That does not make any sense to me.  We already have two very good WRs in Higgins and Boyd.  A new guy might provide some improvement but not near as muc as a new guy at a position where we suck.

We desperately need help on the O-line and D-line.  We have to address those positions before we can even consider getting another receiver.

I would take Sewell if he falls to us, regardless of FA.  Kid's potential is off the charts.  That said, if he's not there, you have to look at who's worth taking at that slot.  It's a bad DL class at the top.  There isn't another OL worth taking there.  There's a couple of WR's worth taking there.

Need is one thing, but it's foolish to pass on an AJ Green type prospect for a Michael Johnson type prospect just because of position group.  A prime AJ Green is going to help win more games than a prime MJ.  
Reply/Quote

Agreed unless we sign both Lawson & Jackson & another pass rusher. 

We could easily sign a guy like Tyrell Williams ( probably cut from the raiders) or Marvin Jones in free agency + draft a guy like shawrtz in the 4th or 5th. That would solve our deep threat issues on offense.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Lines are a bigger priority and the bpa there is subjective. I'd rather have sewell or rousseau at five than another receiver. People want an aj green replacement but hell we've done ok without aj for a while.

We have? To me it seems like when AJ started missing games is precisely when the team went to shit.

You can point to the start of the OL falling apart in 2016, but we were still winning 6-7 games a year. We truly hit rock bottom without AJ in the second half of 2018, and obviously all of 2019.

Reply/Quote
Typical Mike Brown move to take a WR when it is so obvious that both of our lines are atrocious.

Paul Brown took a center with his very first pick.

Stupid beyond belief not to prioritize both lines in fee agency and draft.

But that is good old Mike.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: I would take Sewell if he falls to us, regardless of FA.  Kid's potential is off the charts.  That said, if he's not there, you have to look at who's worth taking at that slot.  It's a bad DL class at the top.  There isn't another OL worth taking there.  There's a couple of WR's worth taking there.

Need is one thing, but it's foolish to pass on an AJ Green type prospect for a Michael Johnson type prospect just because of position group.  A prime AJ Green is going to help win more games than a prime MJ.  

This.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:53 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Typical Mike Brown move to take a WR when it is so obvious that both of our lines are atrocious.

Paul Brown took a center with his very first pick.

Stupid beyond belief not to prioritize both lines in fee agency and draft.

But that is good old Mike.

Wait, so it wouldn't be Tobin's fault?

Also, if they "fix" OL in FA, and Sewell gets taken before we pick (very likely) then reaching for next best OL is what I would consider stupid beyond belief.

Now, adding a playmaker that can help us score at will would not be stupid beyond belief.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:55 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Wait, so it wouldn't be Tobin's fault?

Also, if they "fix" OL in FA, and Sewell gets taken before we pick (very likely) then reaching for next best OL is what I would consider stupid beyond belief.

Now, adding a playmaker that can help us score at will would not be stupid beyond belief.  

It would give fans PTSD of John Ross and Billy Price, both of whom were taken probably about 10-20 picks earlier than they were projected.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:50 PM)J24 Wrote: Agreed unless we sign both Lawson & Jackson & another pass rusher. 

We could easily sign a guy like Tyrell Williams ( probably cut from the raiders) or Marvin Jones in free agency + draft a guy like shawrtz in the 4th or 5th. That would solve our deep threat issues on offense.

I loved Marvin Jones when he was here, but he’s on the wrong side of 30 now. I’d have mixed feelings about bringing him back.

Reply/Quote
The draft will fall to BPA.

Let's hope for a repeat of last year's free agency where we filled holes on the roster.

IF we can resign Lawson, WJ3 and get a legit interior O-linemen, then we are looking at a wide open draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't really think there's a DL player worth the 5th overall pick. About the only one I would consider is Rousseau.
I would say the same for OL aside from Sewell.
The players I consider in that range aside from QBs are Sewell (OT), Parsons (LB), Surtain (CB), Farley (CB), Chase (WR). I'd put Smith (WR), Pitts (TE), and Rousseau (DE) right around the 8-12 range.

So I guess my question for you is if Sewell is gone, do you want to "reach" for OL/DL due to need? I realize "reach" is subjective and it really doesn't matter as long as the player is good, but I know some would have that concern.

Way too early to talk about where players are ranked in the draft.  History has proven that these rankings will change a lot between now and the draft.  They always do.

And to be honest, based on the number of holes we have on our roster I would not be opposed to trading down from #5 to get another pic.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: IF we can resign Lawson, WJ3 and get a legit interior O-linemen, then we are looking at a wide open draft.

At that point we still have one of the worst pass rushes in the league.  If we don't address that problem in free agency then it would be the #1 priority in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Way too early to talk about where players are ranked in the draft.  History has proven that these rankings will change a lot between now and the draft.  They always do.

And to be honest, based on the number of holes we have on our roster I would not be opposed to trading down from #5 to get another pic.

Absolutely on both points.
The projected rankings will change, but probably not too much when it comes to Top 10. Maybe a prospect or two.
I am all in favor of trading back to get extra pick(s), especially if Sewell is there. As you said, too many holes to fill.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Players returning on defensive line (assuming you sign or tag Lawson):

Hubbard
Lawson
Kareem
Reader
Tupou
Wren
Hunt

Players returning on offensive line (assuming you sign Spain)

Williams
XSF
Hopkins
Spain
Hart (stick with me)

FA targets outside the organization:  Thuney

Draft picks (just four rounds)

Chase-WR
Baremore-DT
Faalele- RT
Deonte Brown- G

So, you have protected Burrow, built your defensive line, drafted a raw but immensely talented RT (bring along slowly behind Hart), added depth and competition for the RG spot.  

I depart with Geno and don't re-sign Green, Ross, or Shawn Williams.  If WJIII or Lawson doesn't sign (I imagine one will), tag the other.  That gives you one more year to draft at that position and makes that player prove it one more year.  

I know you like our two WRs, and so do I, but the best defenses can shut those two down, and we need a third weapon that is different from them to make it all work.  Injuries and lack of depth at that position have always hurt them.  Giving Burrow another weapon that can generate quick separation and gets a big cushion is just as important as protecting him because he can get the ball out faster.  

Just my two cents.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Lines are a bigger priority and the bpa there is subjective. I'd rather have sewell or rousseau at five than another receiver. People want an aj green replacement but hell we've done ok without aj for a while.

I want both.  We need depth of talent at WR that is not similar to Boyd, Higgins, and Tate.  Speed with hands (sorry, Ross)
Reply/Quote