Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds June 2024 thread
Back in sole ownership of last place is a sad place to be.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 08:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Back in sole ownership of last place is a sad place to be.

Yes it's just about time to admit it again. This team just can't stay consistent enough to be any kind of real threat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 10:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes it's just about time to admit it again. This team just can't stay consistent enough to be any kind of real threat.

It's why I think the wild card talk is nonsense. I understand mathematically they haven't been that many games out from being the wild card leader but that speaks to the state of poor competition in the NL rather than banging a drum of excitement that this is a good Reds team.
Reply/Quote
Candelario is on fire right now!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
EDLC getting the Aaron Judge treatment on that strike 3 call.
Reply/Quote
Candy with another homer and this time we didn't give the run right back!
Reply/Quote
Great win!!!
Reply/Quote
Nice win against a hot team. Diaz 10 straight saves now.

Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 08:48 PM)cinci4life Wrote: EDLC getting the Aaron Judge treatment on that strike 3 call.

I try not to complain much on ball/strike calls. But that ump was terrible!! That ball was way below Elly's knees, Larkin even said that was not a strike.
Reply/Quote
Benson is down to .196 batting average now. He's right next to useless.
Reply/Quote
A five pitch inning followed by two, two out hits resulting in a 2-0 lead.

I'll take that.

I was working on a different computer in another room the other day and was typing up a bunch of stuff replying to a post by The Leonard Leap after the Lodolo victory in game two of the Pirates series.

I brought my laptop in to re-watch/listen to the game in the background with the Pittsburgh broadcasters and forgot that the Reds played an early game and forgot to post it before taking a nap and waking up in the 7th inning of the series finale. The computer is still on and my unposted response is still there so I will post it in a minute.

My very first comment was addressed in the next two games.

My third comment actually reared it's ugly head yesterday.

This is not me patting myself on the back, this is just stating what I think is obvious.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 08:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2.1 innings in and we've hit 2 double plays and had a caught stealing.

Getting tons of baserunners and then just removing them.

Also on top of the 13 or whatever pickoffs the Reds have had against them this year, they also have guys like....
Jake Fraley (11 successes, 5 caught stealing)
Will Benson (9 successes, 6 caught stealing)
Jaimer Candelario (3 successes, 3 caught stealing)
Nick Martini (0 successes, 2 caught stealing)
....who are providing negative value as base stealers. You need at least a 3:1 (75%) success at stealing bases to be adding value rather than losing it. Can't keep just giving up base runners and outs. You can be aggressive while still being smart.

EDIT: 3rd double play in 3 innings.
As stated in my previous post, this was still sitting on a computer that I forgot to post before taking a nap a few days ago

Our team in High School also had a running approach, but we were more disciplined than the Reds.

All of the guys on that list would have still been running, but most of their attempts would have been a Hit-N-Run instead of a straight steal. When you hear me complain about a guy not knowing how to hit a ground ball to the 2nd base side of the infield . . . that's where most of it comes from.

Barry Larkin made the Hall Of Fame by capitalizing on that open space or just simply moving a runner over from 2nd to 3rd. He was one of the most unselfish players with that "Team First" approach that the Reds have ever had. His career average would have been even higher if a ground ball to move the runner over counted as a sacrifice. I saw Elly try to hit one on the road recently(Col?, LAD?). He didn't succeed, but it still made me smile.

Needless to say that I was thrilled to see them utilize the Hit-N-Run the last two games.

Watching the Pirates re-broadcast . . . they are impressed with Steer in LF. Yeah, they liked his catch at the wall, commented on his route and concentration at the wall . . .  but they loved his fielding of the Brian Reynolds double to keep McCutchen at 3rd. "He played that like he's been here before." . . . "Every ball park is so unique and different these days. THAT'S why you spend your first day in a new city with the LF and RF batting first, that way they can spend the rest of batting practice learning the way the balls are bouncing down the line and taking a few extra shots sent down the lines by the coaches." And then when Steer moved to 1st base in the 8th "You mean that was a 1st baseman making those plays?"

Tell me if this would have happened in Cincinnati with David Bell and his "matchups" approach.
Left handed Falter went into the 7th inning. Who was he scheduled to face?
RH India- 2-2 with two shots, one was a 2B off of the wall.
RH Espinal - Two run HR- only runs given up
LH Fraley - 1-2

The broadcasters said that bringing him out in the 7th showed a lot of confidence in his pitcher by manager Derek Shelton and that kind of faith goes a long way in the player/manager relationship as the season progresses. I'm pretty sure that Falter would not have seen the 7th with David Bell. What was the result? A five pitch inning and one less inning on his bullpen. Give your pitcher enough credit to learn from his mistakes.

In yesterday's game vs Boston, Abbott strikes out Devers and gets pulled because the guy that hit a HR off of him was up next. Bell has more faith in Wong than in Abbott. Cruz then HAS to come in for one batter. That's how you burn through a bullpen 

Total game time . . . 2 hours and 6 minutes. A total of three walks in the game and Lodolo had zero.

The kid that caught the Hayes HR ball was seen earlier in the game holding a sign that said "It's my 12th birthday" so his enthusiasm was through the roof.

Watching the end of the Cubs- Giants game this stat popped up

The last 9 games . . .  Cubs starting pitching
1.81 ERA
49.2 innings
47 Ks - 11 BBs
.212 opponent average
3 HR
2 runs or fewer in all 9 starts
The Cubs are 4-5 in those 9 games after they won last night, 5-2. The 2 runs for the Giants? A 2 run double by Curt Casali who is now hitting .243.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
1st and 3rd with 1 out and get thrown out at home and picked off 2nd.

Pathetic.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Terrible play all around on the go ahead sac fly.

Fairchild catches the ball and throws the ball to the cut off man who decides to let the ball go so it looked like a weak throw.

The throw SHOULD have been all the way to the plate . . . why is Candelerio the cutoff man? Fairchild threw it like he was throwing to Elly who would have rocketed the ball to the plate.

This team doesn't know what to do in simple situations.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(3 hours ago)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Terrible play all around on the go ahead sac fly.

Fairchild catches the ball and throws the ball to the cut off man who decides to let the ball go so it looked like a weak throw.

The throw SHOULD have been all the way to the plate . . . why is Candelerio the cutoff man? Fairchild threw it like he was throwing to Elly who would have rocketed the ball to the plate.

This team doesn't know what to do in simple situations.

Yep

You see it time and again. Can't even play fundamental baseball, the basics, it's nuts.

And please, please get Benson out of the lineup.
Reply/Quote
Another game lost by the coaching staff, 2 runners thrown out at home. Elly picked off at 2nd, and a throwing error to first by 3rd baseman. A piss poor throw by Fairchild to home to getting the leading run, what was that.

Great job Reds, keep giving games away until there are no more left.

They are seen to play just to the level of competition, no matter who they are, and no better. A manager that can’t get this team over the hump. Worst manager in Reds history. When do they pull the trigger and fire Bell.
Reply/Quote
This is what a bad team looks like. When playing Boston, where's George Foster in left when you need him.
Reply/Quote
Fairchild screwed up a shallow fly to center, which ended up a sac fly, earlier this year also.
Reply/Quote
The Reds are the worst professional team in Cincinnati right now. FC Cincinnati is first with another great chance to win a championship, followed by the Bengals, if Burrow stays healthy, and bringing up the rear are the Reds. Who have no chance of getting better to pass FC cincy or the Bengals.

What a said state we are in with the Reds. They were so close to winning something a few years ago to never get back there again. Unless the Reds make coaching and management changes, they are not going to win.. we waste so many close games because of stupid plays, bad base running, not advancing runners into scoring position, not executing the fly ball or hit the other way, and not being able to hold onto a lead.

Bell keeps pulling all the left handed or right handed batters out of the game, leaving you no choices for pitch hitting. I have an idea, how about stacking the lineup with right handed, then left handed batters throughout the lineup, making it tough for the opposing team to bring in a reliever to face all right handed or left handed batters.

This managing philosophy sucks and is not working.
Reply/Quote