Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds June 2024 thread
(06-18-2024, 02:51 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Do you actually watch the other teams? I catch at least one game from each division rival every week. Just finished watching my beloved Angels get a 5-3 win over Milwaukee. He has a long way to go.

Masyn Winn .295 good enough for 14th in MLB and 9th in the NL - 12 2B - 4 HR - 26 RBI - 25 R - 8 SB - .964 Fielding % - 65 games - 49 K
Willy Adames .241 - 17 2B - 12 HR - 51 RBI - 38 R - 10 SB - .985 Fielding % -72 games 67 K
Dansby Swanson .208 - 9 2B - 6 HR - 19 RBI - 28 R - 4 SB - .980 Fielding % 62 games - 62 K
Oniel Cruz - .251 - 15 2B - 9 HR - 30 RBI - 31 R  - 5 SB - .953 Fielding % 64 games - 85 K - Has the two highest Exit Velocity hits of the season
Elly De La Cruz - .242 - 12 2B - 12 HR - 31 RBI - 47 R - 37 SB - .948 Fielding % - 72 games - 95 K

Average - 3rd but only one percentage point ahead of Adames
2B - Tied for 3rd
HR - Tied for 1st
RBI - 2nd but Cruz has played 8 less games and is only one behind him
R - 1st
SB - 1st
Fielding % - 5th - they are all smoother fielders than he is. He's 6th in the division if you add in a healthy McLain. He still looks like either a future RF or 3B. His 14 errors are the most in MLB - 2nd place is a 5 way tie with 10 errors and 2 of those with 10 errors are Oneil Cruz and Jeimer Candelario.
K - 5th or 1st depending on how you look at it.

Outside of Cruz, they all look like finished products and he is still a work in progress. He's exciting, he's fun, but he's also very, very green.

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again. Elly is not a great SS. He's too long and lanky, he doesn't have the "fluid" fielder in him. He's way, way, above board as an athlete. In a different galaxy than most. But SS just isn't a good fit for him. Way better off being either #1 RF or like you said 3B.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 12:19 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: LOL

3rd?

He's not even the 3rd best SS in this division.

The All Star game is not about the best players in the game. It's about the most popular players in the game.

And Elly is EASILY among the top 3 most popular shortstops in the National League.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 09:52 AM)CJD Wrote: The All Star game is not about the best players in the game. It's about the most popular players in the game.

And Elly is EASILY among the top 3 most popular shortstops in the National League.

Yup

ASG has been a popularity contest for quite some time and Elly is one of them. 
Reply/Quote
2.1 innings in and we've hit 2 double plays and had a caught stealing.

Getting tons of baserunners and then just removing them.

Also on top of the 13 or whatever pickoffs the Reds have had against them this year, they also have guys like....
Jake Fraley (11 successes, 5 caught stealing)
Will Benson (9 successes, 6 caught stealing)
Jaimer Candelario (3 successes, 3 caught stealing)
Nick Martini (0 successes, 2 caught stealing)
....who are providing negative value as base stealers. You need at least a 3:1 (75%) success at stealing bases to be adding value rather than losing it. Can't keep just giving up base runners and outs. You can be aggressive while still being smart.

EDIT: 3rd double play in 3 innings.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Much better Diaz!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
5 straight wins for Lodolo.

Reply/Quote
Hunter Greene for the win of Pirates series early around noon. Kind of important to win series to stay in the bunched up pack for 2nd place.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 09:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 5 straight wins for Lodolo.

Lodolo is easily our #1 starter and it's not really close.
Reply/Quote
This is exactly what we were envisioning when we drafted Hunter Greene and Nick Lodolo high in the first round in their respective drafts, 2017 and 2019. Since Lodolo was a college player and Greene was a high school player, the 2 year gap between their drafting is essentially wiped out and we have two young, ultra talented pitchers at the top of our rotation on rookie wage salary and control.

7 innings of 1 run ball from Lodolo last night and, thus far, 5 innings of 0 run ball from Greene today.

Now, if we can just get our pitching and our hitting to work together, we'd be an elite team, as we only scored 2 runs last night and are currently scoreless in the top of the 6th.
Reply/Quote
Pitchers duel of Greene and Keller. No score bottom of 6th. Reds really could use winning this division series. Maybe nobody catches Brew Crew, but Wild Card to consider even as early as June. Reds bats have to wake up, because pitch count for Keller is low enough he could pitch 9 innings, Reds are making it too easy.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Couldn't score a single run...
Reply/Quote
Pirates win 1 to 0 and win the series, Red bats are ice cold. So much for long balls in hot weather theory.

I did have Reds TV the right way.....Sound Off.....I like baseball, I just get tired of the announcers. The game is not that complicated. No announcers makes it more peaceful and relaxing.

A good effort by Greene wasted. Losing the Pirates series is a setback in the standings. Now in come the Boston Red Sox, who often beat the heck out of The Reds. Still, a rare chance for Reds fans to see Boston.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I hope we can get a new batting coach soon.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2024, 11:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Lodolo is easily our #1 starter and it's not really close.

Tbf, Greene has been pretty dam good lately himself.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2024, 05:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hope we can get a new batting coach soon.

Score 2 runs, 1 run and 0 runs, when we have great pitching, depressing.  

Problem with the Reds, is that they can’t make contact with runners on base, strike out a lot with no contact. . 

And the pitching walks too many runners in critical situations.

This is not going to change without a new coaching staff.  I have seen other teams playing us, just try to make contact. But not us, we swing for the fences every time.  It comes down to doing what’s best for the team and not being selfish.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2024, 05:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hope we can get a new batting coach soon.

My first thought was "and manager too." It's wild to think about how long Bell has been around.

Sparky Anderson and Bill McKechnie managed the team each for 9 seasons.

Dusty Baker, Jack Hendricks, Fred Hutchinson, Pete Rose, and David Bell have managed the team for 6 seasons. If Bell is back next year he moves up a tier on the longest tenure managing the Reds list.

Bell is the only manager among those I listed with a losing record. Bell is going to be in the Reds records books for being among the most tenured and worst managers in club history.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 12:14 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: My first thought was "and manager too." It's wild to think about how long Bell has been around.

Dusty Baker, Jack Hendricks, Fred Hutchinson, Pete Rose, and David Bell have managed the team for 6 seasons. If Bell is back next year he moves up a tier on the longest tenure managing the Reds list.

Bell is the only manager among those I listed with a losing record. Bell is going to be in the Reds records books for being among the most tenured and worst managers in club history.

That’s a big BINGO
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2024, 10:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tbf, Greene has been pretty dam good lately himself.

Oh for sure
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 12:14 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: My first thought was "and manager too." It's wild to think about how long Bell has been around.

Mind blowing isn't it.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 11:51 AM)Timanky12 Wrote: Score 2 runs, 1 run and 0 runs, when we have great pitching, depressing.  

Problem with the Reds, is that they can’t make contact with runners on base, strike out a lot with no contact. . 

And the pitching walks too many runners in critical situations.

This is not going to change without a new coaching staff.  I have seen other teams playing us, just try to make contact. But not us, we swing for the fences every time.  It comes down to doing what’s best for the team and not being selfish.

And another problem: sit there and watch the first two pitches catch most if not all the plate, strike 1, strike 2, bat never leaves their shoulder. Then swing at the 3rd pitch that bounces a foot in front of the plate. Strike 3, you're out.

Mind numbing 
Reply/Quote