Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade
(03-09-2020, 07:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Really?  

Why did the Dolphins not have any great RBs the six years Tannehill was their starter?

Why did Prescott stink (76.6 rating) the 6 games Zeke missed in '17?

I never said Tannehill was a good QB.

Idk if he even did, guess I’ll have to take your word for it without looking it up. But who were their opponents? Was anyone else out?

Regardless, it was 6 games. And if you want to attribute anything to Dak’s success (other than his own play) I’d go with the Dallas OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
So, what are everyone's thoughts on the Bears seemingly being seriously interested in talking to Andy, his agent? And, how about Bill Belichic supposedly "intrigued" with Andy Dalton?

This IS still the Andy Dalton trade thread, right??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 09:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, what are everyone's thoughts on the Bears seemingly being seriously interested in talking to Andy, his agent?  And, how about Bill Belichic supposedly "intrigued" with Andy Dalton?

This IS still the Andy Dalton trade thread, right??

I believe with most FA QBs.. Teams are in a holding pattern for Brady and probably Rivers...... but Bears are interested but what do they have to offer.. if Brady leaves NE.. that probably moves Dalton value up.. he is a perfect fit for NE.... I also think Tampa Bay is more in play for him than other think if Winston is not resigned which it looks that way
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 06:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I'm confused you say its striving for excellence then you write never going to be the best at every position????  so do you want to be excellent at TE? If so where do you not want be excellent 

I want to be excellent at every position. Isn't going to happen obviously but it IS what you strive for correct?

Or do we just want to be meh?

(03-09-2020, 07:06 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: If you are running a 3 WR offense, having great WRs is more important.

True, just stating that great TE's seem to be the way the best teams are leaning now instead of 3 WR sets.

I find 3 WR sets to be too predictable. I like 2 TE sets and 2 RB sets much more and this is the way Offenses are trending.

I think the Super Bowl teams would say so....
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 10:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I believe with most FA QBs.. Teams are in a holding pattern for Brady and probably Rivers...... but Bears are interested but what do they have to offer.. if Brady leaves NE.. that probably moves Dalton value up.. he is a perfect fit for NE.... I also think Tampa Bay is more in play for him than other think if Winston is not resigned which it looks that way

WhoDey2 Just to throw a wrench in the works, I saw a mock draft on CBSSports.com today that had Tampa Bay drafting QB Eason. FWIW, that same mock had Justin Jefferson available at #33... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 11:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, just stating that great TE's seem to be the way the best teams are leaning now instead of 3 WR sets.

I don't see it.  

Only 5 of 12 playoff teams had a TE with more receptions than Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 10:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see it.  

Only 5 of 12 playoff teams had a TE with more receptions than Eifert.

Guess you cannot see that the 2 Superbowl teams have the best 2 TE's in the NFL either.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 01:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Guess you cannot see that the 2 Superbowl teams have the best 2 TE's in the NFL either.

And look at how much NE has fallen off without Gronk. A good TE is so important. It’s no coincidence the last time we were good we had one.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 01:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Guess you cannot see that the 2 Superbowl teams have the best 2 TE's in the NFL either.

Great point, but finding a TE as good as them two at both receiving and blocking is so rare. Eifert is not in the same planet blocking wise and Kettle and Kelce.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I may be wrong, but I think Pats plan 1A is to re-sign Brady. If that goes south, I think they want Dalton.

Pats were just awarded two 3rd round picks in top 100 of draft. I could see them leveraging one or both those picks to obtain AD if Brady goes elsewhere.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 08:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Great point, but finding a TE as good as them two at both receiving and blocking is so rare. Eifert is not in the same planet blocking wise and Kettle and Kelce.

Kittle is good, Kelce is average.

Eifert is about on-par; Eifert was NOT a good blocker coming out of ND, but he improved his game big time in just a few years, in that department.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 11:14 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I may be wrong, but I think Past plan 1A is to re-sign Brady. If that goes south, I think they want Dalton.

Pats were just awarded two 3rd round picks in top 100 of draft. I could see them leveraging one or both those picks to obtain AD if Brady goes elsewhere.

The Pats seem to be an willing to overpay when they want someone. I'm kind of hoping Brady leaves just so they can drive up the return. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 10:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  if Brady leaves NE.. that probably moves Dalton value up.. he is a perfect fit for NE....

One of the most interesting aspects of this situation is that a QB that has looked like absolute garbage in prime-time and playoff games as a Bengal is being seriously considered to lead a franchise that spends so much time in the spotlight and strives to play/win 3+ playoff games per year.  It really makes you think...

That's what's so interesting about football and fandom.  Here we are saying that Dalton is a nice guy who just doesn't have the "it" factor while the Patriots are considering Dalton to replace a QB who has 30 playoff wins and 6 SB rings.  I don't think Dalton is going to automatically win the SB as a Patriot, but it's clear Bill Bellyache doesn't seem to be as scared of "prime time Andy" as we are. Or maybe he is...I still picture Brady staying there until I see otherwise.

Again, Burrow is great and we need him but this situation is like me considering dumping my girlfriend and then Hugh Jackman being like...if you drop her I've got dibs!
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 11:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: One of the most interesting aspects of this situation is that a QB that has looked like absolute garbage in prime-time and playoff games as a Bengal is being seriously considered to lead a franchise that spends so much time in the spotlight and strives to play/win 3+ playoff games per year.  It really makes you think...

That's what's so interesting about football and fandom.  Here we are saying that Dalton is a nice guy who just doesn't have the "it" factor while the Patriots are considering Dalton to replace a QB who has 30 playoff wins and 6 SB rings.  I don't think Dalton is going to automatically win the SB as a Patriot, but it's clear Bill Bellyache doesn't seem to be as scared of "prime time Andy" as we are. Or maybe he is...I still picture Brady staying there until I see otherwise.

Again, Burrow is great and we need him but this situation is like me considering dumping my girlfriend and then Hugh Jackman being like...if you drop her I've got dibs!

It may be that football people and executives don't pay all that much attention to what time of day a game is played... I dunno.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 10:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And look at how much NE has fallen off without Gronk. A good TE is so important. It’s no coincidence the last time we were good we had one.

Yep... It was even apparent when Gronk was still playing. They weren't the same team without him. I think it's more an coincidence that we beat them in 2013 (one week after laying an egg in Cleveland) without Gronk on the field.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 11:50 AM)jason Wrote: It may be that football people and executives don't pay all that much attention to what time of day a game is played... I dunno.

I'm just saying stuff like this is why the media has the narrative that Burrow should be scared to play here.  We have Dalton, a QB who went 0-4 in the playoffs and hasn't had a winning season since 2015 as a Bengal and it's entirely possible a team that is addicted to winning and is super successful wants to overpay to take him off our hands.

It helps fuel that whole "Playing for the Bengals will limit your success" narrative.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 12:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm just saying stuff like this is why the media has the narrative that Burrow should be scared to play here.  We have Dalton, a QB who went 0-4 in the playoffs and hasn't had a winning season since 2015 as a Bengal and it's entirely possible a team that is addicted to winning and is super successful wants to overpay to take him off our hands.

It helps fuel that whole "Playing for the Bengals will limit your success" narrative.

Read some pretty good quotes from Anthony Munoz yesterday. He basically just pointed out that QBs tend to do really well in Cincinnati... A few Guses, Neils, and Akilis aside.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 12:12 PM)jason Wrote: Read some pretty good quotes from Anthony Munoz yesterday. He basically just pointed out that QBs tend to do really well in Cincinnati... A few Guses, Neils, and Akilis aside.

Right, Dalton was a good QB and I was pulling for the guy but he's got that cloud of "playoff loser" over his head and if NE thinks he's worth getting you have to assume they're confident that ceiling is on the Bengals, not him.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 10:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And look at how much NE has fallen off without Gronk. A good TE is so important. It’s no coincidence the last time we were good we had one.

The truth. Too bad it is a bad Draft for TE's.

I would still like to grab a TE like Deguara or Moss in the mid rounds if one of these guys are around. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 08:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Great point, but finding a TE as good as them two at both receiving and blocking is so rare. Eifert is not in the same planet blocking wise and Kettle and Kelce.

Just last Draft there was one in the first round in Hochenson but yeah, it is rare to find these gems.

But lets not forget these guys weren't top ten picks either, you can find these types in the mid rounds.

Coaching up the TE is key if they have the talent to both block and catch.

Hope Sample gets better in his route running, he isn't a bad athlete and he can block and catch.
Reply/Quote