Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schumer: Trump and GOP agree to protect DACA w/o funding the Wall
(09-14-2017, 12:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is the point a lot of people tend to miss when talking about this. They would have to leave the country, the only one they have known as home, to go somewhere else where they likely have no support structure in place, may not speak the language, etc., in order to then try to come back in legally. For someone that was brought here with no choice in the matter, that seems an illogical process to force them into.

And just in case anyone doubted Matt... Exhibit A:

(09-14-2017, 01:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's not an issue.   Most illegal immigrant homes speak Spanish so the idea they couldn't speak the language is a stretch.  Going  to their country to file paperwork isn't difficult:  
(09-14-2017, 01:52 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: And just in case anyone doubted Matt... Exhibit A:

I guess you are not aware of the correlation of illegal immigrants and lack of English skills. These homes speak their native language. In most cases that's Spanish.
(09-14-2017, 02:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I guess you are not aware of the correlation of illegal immigrants and lack of English skills.  These homes speak their native language.    In most cases that's Spanish.

As someone who teaches the children of immigrants, I can tell you that for the most part, despite English not always being the language at home, they are more fluent in English as it was the one they were formally taught. Their grasp of Spanish is just as good as someone who never went to school. They can speak some, not a lot, with poor grammar, verb conjugation, and reading comprehension. 

They likely have nearly no understanding of how the government of their home country operates and likely have no ability to access resources there or bring their assets with them to help them. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-14-2017, 02:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I guess you are not aware of the correlation of illegal immigrants and lack of English skills.  These homes speak their native language.    In most cases that's Spanish.

As an interpreter for the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, I would wager I am quite aware, seeing as the lack of English skills is what keeps me employed

Having worked with families in the court system, I have had similar experiences as Pat, where children often have a rudimentary knowledge of the non_English language, and have language skills that are far superior in English. 

We are talking about people brought here as children, so the point that Matt raises still stands, whether you ignore it willfully or simply fail to understand.
(09-14-2017, 01:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's not an issue. Most illegal immigrant homes speak Spanish so the idea they couldn't speak the language is a stretch. Going to their country to file paperwork isn't difficult:

I don't mind prioritizing them over other applicants from their country but they should be forced to pay double so the people who actually follow the law are getting the break.

I said may not speak the language for a reason, it isn't all the cases, likely isn't the majority, but it does happen. And English is still their first language in the vast majority of cases. But this also ignores that they would have to move back for a period of time, a period of time that they would not have any support structure in place. Nowhere to live, no job, no friends, possibly no family. Their culture is going to be that of an American, not that of where their family came from.
(09-14-2017, 03:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I said may not speak the language for a reason, it isn't all the cases, likely isn't the majority, but it does happen. And English is still their first language in the vast majority of cases. But this also ignores that they would have to move back for a period of time, a period of time that they would not have any support structure in place. Nowhere to live, no job, no friends, possibly no family. Their culture is going to be that of an American, not that of where their family came from.

Seems like the christian thing to do...   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-14-2017, 07:38 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: As long as they don't call them all rapists, I don't think so 

Who has ever called them ALL rapists?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(09-14-2017, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who has ever called them ALL rapists?

[Image: 302-Animal-House-quotes.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(09-14-2017, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who has ever called them ALL rapists?

I don't know that anyone has ever said they were ALL rapists.  Most though, fo sho.

ALSO

I don't think that all conservatives are inbred and incestuous....I assume that some of them are probably good people.

Please focus on the word "all" in that sentence.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

I don't want to have to read through the whole thread, but the ones that can never say anything good about Trump: did they give him praise for this? Or did they find some other way of still bashing Trump?

Thanks.

Oh, as to my thoughts on this? I'd rather have the DACA program continue then give them amnesty, but that's all I got until I decide to read more into this.
(09-14-2017, 04:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't want to have to read through the whole thread, but the ones that can never say anything good about Trump: did they give him praise for this? Or did they find some other way of still bashing Trump?

Thanks.

I like that Ann Coulter called for his impeachment, today. LOL
(09-14-2017, 04:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I like that Ann Coulter called for his impeachment, today. LOL

Ain't politics grand? SMH
(09-14-2017, 04:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Ain't politics grand? SMH

In all seriousness, while I am in favor of a legislative action similar to DACA it bothers me that Trump is doing these things. I want someone with principles, even if I don't agree with them. My comments from the get go have been that Trump has none and, to me, that makes him a dangerous person to have in the WH.
(09-14-2017, 04:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't want to have to read through the whole thread, but the ones that can never say anything good about Trump: did they give him praise for this? Or did they find some other way of still bashing Trump?

Thanks.

Oh, as to my thoughts on this? I'd rather have the DACA program continue then give them amnesty, but that's all I got until I decide to read more into this.

Not that I could see.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-14-2017, 04:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:
In all seriousness, while I am in favor of a legislative action similar to DACA it bothers me that Trump is doing these things. I want someone with principles, even if I don't agree with them. My comments from the get go have been that Trump has none and, to me, that makes him a dangerous person to have in the WH.

I'm not following the  part where it bothers you he is doing these things.  He'll just be signing a law you will most likely agree with.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-14-2017, 04:13 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don't know that anyone has ever said they were ALL rapists.  Most though, fo sho.

ALSO

I don't think that all conservatives are inbred and incestuous....I assume that some of them are probably good people.

Please focus on the word "all" in that sentence.

Nice. I've never seen Trump say "most", either. But it's not like SJW's ever exaggerate for effect, amirite? 

Do you have any statistical data for how many conservatives are inbred? Because there's definitely statistical data that shows we're getting a lot of bad people jumping the border. I've seen it first hand. It's not all mom's with little children looking for a better life. There's a shit ton of drug dealers (and yes, rapists) hopping that cattle fence at night, too. But lets just bury our heads in the sand and pretend that doesn't happen. Think of the children, man! 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.

Thanks.

It's hard to "praise" him when we don't know if he even knows what is going on.  His tweets were on both sides of the issue and two different stories about the "agreement".

The he spoke while leaving the WH and said something else.

Personally I think like you do on DACA and it would be nice if it went that way.  I just don't understand how Trump can spin it to his base.

How dangerous was it when Obama didn't end our combat operations in Afghanistan or Iraq, and didn't close Guantanamo Bay?

It's almost like politicians are known for promising things in their campaigns and then either failing to deliver, or flip flopping on the issue. Shocking.

But since it's Trump this time, it's dangerous. Rolleyes

(09-14-2017, 04:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not following the  part where it bothers you he is doing these things.  He'll just be signing a law you will most likely agree with.

Because it's Trump doing it, thus it must be evil, even if it is something he has been openly and actively calling for.

See: Firing Comey.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks.

You asked your question 3 posts too early.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Fair enough. 

Devils advocate here, if a person makes up their mind, gets new information and then changes course, I support that.

I think Trump wasn't sure what DACA was when he stepped into it, found out it's not just a bunch of welfare babies, and changed his mind. 
(09-14-2017, 04:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nice. I've never seen Trump say "most", either. But it's not like SJW's ever exaggerate for effect, amirite? 

If "some" are good people wouldn't "most" fall into the rapists and murderers and drug dealers?

(09-14-2017, 04:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Do you have any statistical data for how many conservatives are inbred? Because there's definitely statistical data that shows we're getting a lot of bad people jumping the border. I've seen it first hand. It's not all mom's with little children looking for a better life. There's a shit ton of drug dealers (and yes, rapists) hopping that cattle fence at night, too. But lets just bury our heads in the sand and pretend that doesn't happen. Think of the children, man! 

When it comes to DACA they are the "some".