Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Article on Palmer
(09-30-2015, 04:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is what people overlook.  Marvin threatened to walk after 2010, as well...he just caved in and stayed when Carson didn't.  Marvin said "make changes or I'm outta here" and then backed off, so if you want to look at someone who may just be coasting along for a paycheck it may be Marvin.

Maybe he just wanted a QB/ WR change....  I know that I did.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 08:45 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: "Coasting" with one of the best winning pct of the last 4 years.  That's the type of "coasting" I can deal with.

I fully believe a lot of people are ok with coasting with Marvin Lewis.  I personally think this team is too talented to go 0-4 in the playoffs, but that's just me.  Perhaps this is the year we turn the corner and actually look like we belong in the playoffs.  If not?  Marvin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 05:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd only take Carson in Cincinnati if Arians and his system come with him.  I'm not saying he's totally a product of the system, but it helps...lots.

Right on. Arians is a candidate to win his 3rd coach of the year award in the last 4 seasons.

I'm not saying Carson sucks, but to act like he's hands down better than Dalton is ridick.

I'd take Dalton over Palmer any damn day. Mainly for his ability to make pre-snap reads, which Hue has said he's better at than any QB he's coached, including Palmer and Flacco. Palmer looked the part and had the arm, but tbh he never was the smartest QB out there. He's always needed a cheat sheet whereas Dalton knows the offense as well as the coaches.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 08:40 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Every Palmer thread ever.

[Image: 640px-Resized_sound-of-music-meme-genera...c90b18.jpg]

Ha...this is funny.  I like watching some posters get all wet-faced over Palmer's decision to seek greener pastures (or so he thought). 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 10:11 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Ha...this is funny.  I like watching some posters get all wet-faced over Palmer's decision to seek greener pastures (or so he thought). 

JC you used to rip CP harder than anyone on here. Come on now. LOL

Honestly, I think the Carson ass-kissers are just as annoying, but maybe that's just me.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 10:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: JC you used to rip CP harder than anyone on here. Come on now. LOL

Honestly, I think the Carson ass-kissers are just as annoying, but maybe that's just me.

I did, and I won't deny it. I used to be one of the wet-faced, butthurt fans....lol....womp, womp.  I hated that dude for a while.  Then I had a job that I absolutely hated with every fiber of my being.  I quit for a less attractive, lower paying position at a different company, and I am much happier because of this decision.  I think everyone should do everything they can to make themselves happy. It was pointed out to me that this was what Palmer was doing, and I let go of the grudge. It's just not a personal thing like I made it out to be.

I still hate him because he is a non-Bengal, but not really much more than any other non-Bengals.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
People who don't understand Carson's motives, obviously never worked a job that they absolutely despised. People quit shitty jobs every day, and we don't see their names dragged through the mud like Palmer's was. If a team can just up and cut a player because of bad performance, why can't a player quit a team because of bad management?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 10:39 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I did, and I won't deny it.  I used to be one of the wet-faced, butthurt fans....lol....womp, womp.  I hated that dude for a while.  Then I had a job that I absolutely hated with every fiber of my being.  I quit for a less attractive, lower paying position at a different company, and I am much happier because of this decision.  I think everyone should do everything they can to make themselves happy. It was pointed out to me that this was what Palmer was doing, and I let go of the grudge. It's just not a personal thing like I made it out to be.

I still hate him because he is a non-Bengal, but not really much more than any other non-Bengals.

It never bothered me when he quit. I'd made my mind up during the 2010 season that the Bengals were better off going in a different direction at QB. So when CP demanded a trade, it was almost a sigh of relief for me. I actually respect Palmer more if he actually was standing up to Mike.

The only reason I might look anti-Palmer at times is because it irks me that some still pine after the guy. Palmer was paid like an elite QB and he never was after 2005. So in my view, he was as much to blame for the team's struggles as anyone else. I'm glad he's finally found his old mojo 10 years later (with a genius HC), but I'm pretty happy with where we're at - compared to where I think we'd be with Palmer.

We needed some new blood and we certainly weren't getting it in the form of a new GM or HC. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 10:42 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: People who don't understand Carson's motives, obviously never worked a job that they absolutely despised. People quit shitty jobs every day, and we don't see their names dragged through the mud like Palmer's was. If a team can just up and cut a player because of bad performance, why can't a player quit a team because of bad management?

I get this argument, to an extent, but my counter would be this. NFL QB's are public figures that are held to a different standard than us common folk. They're honestly held to a different standard than other NFL players as well.

How many franchise QB's have demanded their way out of town? I really can't think of any outside of Carson and maybe Boomer. Now I'm not saying I hate Palmer for demanding a trade. I don't. As I said in a previous post, I was ready for him to go.

QB's are paid more for a reason. They're expected to be the leaders and faces of multi-million dollar franchises. So comparing them quitting to Joe Average quitting his job just isn't an accurate comparison.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 11:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many franchise QB's have demanded their way out of town? I really can't think of any outside of Carson and maybe Boomer.

Hmm, maybe if Mike Brown owned more than one NFL franchise you'd see it more often? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 08:57 PM)jason Wrote: Maybe he just wanted a QB/ WR change....  I know that I did.

You are right imo. 

Would bet my bottom dollar that Marvin demanded Ocho gone if he was to return.

Not sure about Carson. But after he pulled his trade me or else shenanigans. Certain Marvin wanted him gone pronto as well. 

Last year I picked Az and the Bengals to meet in SB. Was laughed off board, and maybe rightfully so. 

But did it mostly because of Az's defense and coaching in lieu of the Great Carson hoisting them on his shoulders.  

Az is very solid and not a one man show, just like the Bengals. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 10:39 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I did, and I won't deny it.  I used to be one of the wet-faced, butthurt fans....lol....womp, womp.  I hated that dude for a while.  Then I had a job that I absolutely hated with every fiber of my being.  I quit for a less attractive, lower paying position at a different company, and I am much happier because of this decision.  I think everyone should do everything they can to make themselves happy. It was pointed out to me that this was what Palmer was doing, and I let go of the grudge. It's just not a personal thing like I made it out to be.

Agree with this 100%

But Carson should not have re-signed with Bengals for all that cash if this was the case.

He had a chance to do it right. Instead he held his company hostage and tried to sabotage and entire season for his teammates. 

Do not really even think about him anymore unless a Carson thread pops up. The Bengals have moved on too. Seems MB took on a legend QB and did not fair to badly at all either. But never here him patting himself on the back over it. 

Hmm, 3 players in their prime or an aging vet that has never lived up to his #1 overall pick potential ? 

Will take Gio, Kirkpatrick, and Dalton instead of him all day long. 

Would have really enjoyed watching OSU win NC with Carson.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 10:42 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: People who don't understand Carson's motives, obviously never worked a job that they absolutely despised. People quit shitty jobs every day, and we don't see their names dragged through the mud like Palmer's was. If a team can just up and cut a player because of bad performance, why can't a player quit a team because of bad management?

I wouldn't call being a multi-millionaire NFL quarterback a "shitty job."
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 03:09 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Saw the article.  Palmer still trying to justify himself.  But he is playing very well right now.

Yeah, those Saints, Bears, and 49ers have a whopping 1 win between the three of them.  It will be very interesting to see how he performs against teams that have a pass rush. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 09:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Palmer obviously wasn't happy here, the fans were not happy with him here, the coaches were not happy with him here. We are better now that he's gone. And he seems to be doing well in Arizona.

It sounds like everything worked out the way it should have.

I understand your point that it is actually a good thing that he acted like a baby and quit after taking tens of millions of dollars in a front-loaded deal, but that was not his intention.  He did those things for himself and himself only.  The fact that the Bengals survived and actually thrived is a testament to the resolve of the coaches and the drafting/development of new personnel. 

Gresham didn't directly take a shot at the team, and really only praised the new team, but that shot by the author was clearly the old, diluted opinion that this is NFL Siberia.  This is humorous because without a man like Kurt Warner, WHO TOOK BAD TEAMS AND MADE THEM GOOD, the cards would be the team that this same author would be taking shots at.  Warner won with the two (historically speaking) worst winning % teams in NFL history. 

I will not root for success for either of them.  For those that defended Gresham for years, you are finally seeing what a 1st round TE is capable of on this team.  Good riddance to them both. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 09:42 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Or maybe we don't like quitters who bail on their responsibilities.  Whitworth patched this team back together mentally and emotionally after Palmer left.  I wouldn't take 10 Carson Palmers for an Andrew Whitworth.  

My vote for POST OF THE YEAR
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 08:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, those Saints, Bears, and 49ers have a whopping 1 win between the three of them.  It will be very interesting to see how he performs against teams that have a pass rush. 

The Chargers have the least sacks in the NFL and the Raiders have 1 more sack than the Saints & Bears.

Palmer has faced defenses ranked 11th, 25th, 29th while Andy has faced defenses ranked 10th, 22nd, and 32nd.

The Chargers defense has been solid but all 5 other teams have struggled mightily against the pass, and that has at least something to do with both Andy and Carson shredding those teams.

I just find it ridiculous that people say this kind of shit as a slight on Palmer but would cry their eyes out if anyone brought it up in an Andy discussion, saying they just can't be happy that he's playing well and have to make excuses. It's not a valid excuse for EITHER guy, they're both playing well, we don't need qualifiers on their opponents. If you actually watched the games (which I know you don't), you'd see that Palmer has been playing lights out.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My vote for POST OF THE YEAR

I love how people are proud of being completely ignorant to the entire Palmer situation.

My goodness, how many more ways can you people spell "butthurt"???
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 10:18 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Agreed, everybody here should be happy and just let Carson go.   And yet....

I think my problem is that although everything worked out for Cincinnati in the end (and hopefully the Raiders will continue to climb out of the hole they dug) that it had nothing to do with any actions by Palmer. 

The TEAM made great personnel choices.  Everyone expected that "first year without Palmer" Bengal team to go 0-16.  They didn't.  9-7 with a new OC and no OTAs was an amazing performance.  It had NOTHING to do with Palmer.  The players they received from Oakland in the trade was savvy business.  Palmer had nothing to do with it. 

Palmer could have ruined this team for a long time, but the team showed resolve.  The team improved.  And the team is better off without the guy that was pretty much average from 2007 until his departure.  It was always the lack of weapons.  It was always the lack of a running game.  It was always the defense.  It was NEVER put at the feet of the QB.  Dalton has enjoyed no such deflection of blame.  Yet, he has improved year over year and is currently the 2nd ranked QB in the NFL. 

Again, people will say I have "butthurt" or I need to move on, and that is fine.  But the guy tried to destroy this team and I will NEVER forgive him for the abuse this franchise took for his quitting.  He is nothing but a spoiled child (ironic, USC: University of Spoiled Children).  Now, he is trying to look like the victim and a courageous individual in this article.  Puke.  The Bengals deserve the article for not taking shots at him, for rising up in the face of massive controversy, and for building what is now a team that is led by team-first individuals.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 02:02 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: And right there it is!!!! I have to give Bonnie credit she may not have meant to but we just got a clear reason why the Carson haters are so mad. They know the team would be tons better with Carson throwing to Green than the current situation. As much as people on here want to pretend they think Dalton is the same caliber of QB Palmer is, they know better. Both guys same team the Palmer team beats the Dalton 9 out of 10 times.

Complete and utter bullshit.  Palmer had Chad, TJ, and Henry.  He also had Rudi Johnson and the best year's of Ced Benson.  Yet, he couldn't do in 9 years what Dalton did in 3. 

People seem to remember 2005 and 2006 Palmer but forget the dud that he was from 2007 until he left.  No thank you.  Dalton, 10 out of 10 times. 
Reply/Quote