Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Article on Palmer
(09-29-2015, 07:55 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: We'll have to agree to disagree.  But why did he do an interview NOW about Mike Brown?  The Bengals are doing well and have made a lot of good decisions.  The Cardinals are winning right now.  Why is he whining to a reporter? The writer makes it seem like Carson beat Mike Brown, and that's not what happened at all.

Is he really whining about it, or is he just half-answering the same question the media has sporadically asked him over the past 4 years?  As for you saying Carson is acting like he beat Mike Brown, even people who tend towards the "quitter" angle of the Carson spectrum admit that Mike Brown seemed to make changes after Carson stood his ground.  

I don't think it really matters, though.  It's pretty clear he had irrevocable differences with Marvin Lewis and especially Mike Brown.  It was like a bad marriage that needed to end, regardless of the pacts and promises made during happier times.  No matter how bad things get there are always going to be people who will tell you that you should have "stuck it out and fixed it" but sometimes you just have to move on and find someone else.  It seems like Carson and the Bengals are both in better places post-divorce, and I think that's the closest you and I are going to come to agreeing on this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 06:49 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think it's pretty shitty of him to do this interview now, 4 or 5 years later, and act like he strong armed Mike Brown or something.  He did nothing but quit and go home.  He only got traded because Brown got a great deal.  Then he cried his way out of Oakland.

This was pretty much why I made the thread.

I'm of the opinion that both guys (Mike Brown and Palmer) were stubborn. Mike Brown isn't some strategical genius, and Palmer didn't stand up to a tyrant.
They were like two characters from a certain Dr. Seuss book.

[Image: latest?cb=20130129180817]

I just thought the article made Cinci sound like the evil villain, which isn't the whole story. Silver did a bad job representing us in the story. He is a journalist though so I should expect this. The part about getting Gresham from (you guessed it) the Bengals got me pissed off. Makes it sound like we are some team that good players are dying to leave when it is quite the contrary.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 04:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The answer regarding the contract is simple:

A player signs a contract to play for a specified period of time, unless he puts it in the contract, he MUST play out the contract.

The owner signs the same contract which states that the owner has the right to terminate the contract.

It's all in the contract.  The owner has the right by contract to cut the player in exchange for letting the player keep the entire signing bonus.  It's a 2 way street.  The player accepts the terms of the contract and gets the money up front.

I thought that NFL contracts only forbid someone from playing on another team.
Reply/Quote
How does Carson throw with those stigmata hands? Rolleyes

What a self-serving piece of crap. And the article stinks, too.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 09:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Palmer obviously wasn't happy here, the fans were not happy with him here, the coaches were not happy with him here. We are better now that he's gone. And he seems to be doing well in Arizona.

It sounds like everything worked out the way it should have.

Agreed, everybody here should be happy and just let Carson go.   And yet....
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 04:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The answer regarding the contract is simple:

A player signs a contract to play for a specified period of time, unless he puts it in the contract, he MUST play out the contract.

This is not true at all.  Players retire all the time with years left on their contracts.  Then only thing they lose is the what they are due to be paid.
Reply/Quote
That shit's behind us.
[Image: 03d30207b69eaee3a6038dd441d30549.jpg]
Moving forward.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 07:55 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: We'll have to agree to disagree.  But why did he do an interview NOW about Mike Brown?  The Bengals are doing well and have made a lot of good decisions.  The Cardinals are winning right now.  Why is he whining to a reporter? The writer makes it seem like Carson beat Mike Brown, and that's not what happened at all.

It is what happened. One guy said he would retire and was willing to never play again. The other guy said the player would never be traded and would have to retire. The owner blinked, got punked, backed down, melted or any other term that would described not having the intestinal fortitude to do what you say you are going to do.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 07:36 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: No, he strong armed his way out so he could "play for a contender" as PFT said above.   If the moron had gone ahead and played for the Bengals instead of leaving he would have gotten AJ Green to throw to.  

And right there it is!!!! I have to give Bonnie credit she may not have meant to but we just got a clear reason why the Carson haters are so mad. They know the team would be tons better with Carson throwing to Green than the current situation. As much as people on here want to pretend they think Dalton is the same caliber of QB Palmer is, they know better. Both guys same team the Palmer team beats the Dalton 9 out of 10 times.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 03:53 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I don't care about Palmer. He's long gone.

Ditto. Over it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only people who should get ripped for leavbing a job they don't like are elected officials and military personnel.  

I guarantee that everyone here would leave their job if they hated it and were financially secure.  The ones criticizing Palmer for doing it are just hypocrites.

I have a lot more respect for Palmer giving up the money when he walked away instead of coming back to the bengals nad half-assing it just to collect a paycheck.

*cough* Ochocinco *cough*

This, times 1000.  He literally said "I will pass on $50 million rather than continue to work for Mike Brown".  As Fred says, he could have come back, played half heartedly, and collected his money.  He did not "quit" right before the draft, during training camp, or even the season.  He gave the organization plenty of notice so they could prepare for life after his departure.

As others have said, "how many people on this board begged for someone to challenge Mike Brown"?  It was not Carson's "responsibility" to improve this franchise.  That was Brown and Lewis' responsibility, Brown's.  Carson was simply an employee, an employee who no longer wanted to work for the Brown family.  If any of us were in a job that we did not like, we would simply find another.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 10:31 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This, times 1000.  He literally said "I will pass on $50 million rather than continue to work for Mike Brown".  As Fred says, he could have come back, played half heartedly, and collected his money.  He did not "quit" right before the draft, during training camp, or even the season.  He gave the organization plenty of notice so they could prepare for life after his departure.

As others have said, "how many people on this board begged for someone to challenge Mike Brown"?  It was not Carson's "responsibility" to improve this franchise.  That was Brown and Lewis' responsibility, Brown's.  Carson was simply an employee, an employee who no longer wanted to work for the Brown family.  If any of us were in a job that we did not like, we would simply find another.

Yeah Carson was paid over a hundred million just to be an "employee". 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 01:29 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Yeah Carson was paid over a hundred million just to be an "employee". 

Man, you're so good at showing how much you don't care about Carson.

I'm proud of you.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 02:02 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: And right there it is!!!! I have to give Bonnie credit she may not have meant to but we just got a clear reason why the Carson haters are so mad. They know the team would be tons better with Carson throwing to Green than the current situation. As much as people on here want to pretend they think Dalton is the same caliber of QB Palmer is, they know better. Both guys same team the Palmer team beats the Dalton 9 out of 10 times.

Carson won 4 games throwing to Chad and a future HOF.  The last 4 seasons have been a lot more enjoyable than the previous 4.

I hate Carson cause the dude quit on my franchise.  AA franchise Brown paid him a lot of money to make better.  He apparently wasn't up to the challenge.  Glad Dalton has been.

Perhaps he would be better appreciated if he quits as well?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 02:02 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: And right there it is!!!! I have to give Bonnie credit she may not have meant to but we just got a clear reason why the Carson haters are so mad. They know the team would be tons better with Carson throwing to Green than the current situation. As much as people on here want to pretend they think Dalton is the same caliber of QB Palmer is, they know better. Both guys same team the Palmer team beats the Dalton 9 out of 10 times.

i dont think thats it at all... OF Course a 9 year vet and former overall 1st pick should have more instant success than any rookie QB throwing to the same rookie WR.

It took us 5 years to build this roster with dalton. and experience is a huge factor on the field.

But even then we gave palmer TO and CHAD with benson.... and ended up bad enough to be able to draft AJ Green.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 01:33 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Carson won 4 games throwing to Chad and a future HOF.  The last 4 seasons have been a lot more enjoyable than the previous 4.

I hate Carson cause the dude quit on my franchise.  AA franchise Brown paid him a lot of money to make better.  He apparently wasn't up to the challenge.  Glad Dalton has been.

Perhaps he would be better appreciated if he quits as well?

To show how much I REALLY don't care about something, I usually jump on a message board while I'm on vacation across the country with my wife to discuss that topic!
Reply/Quote

i dont think thats it at all... OF Course a 9 year vet and former overall 1st pick should have more instant success than any rookie QB throwing to the same rookie WR.

It took us 5 years to build this roster with dalton. and experience is a huge factor on the field.

But even then we gave palmer TO and CHAD with benson.... and ended up bad enough to be able to draft AJ Green.

(09-30-2015, 01:56 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: It is what happened. One guy said he would retire and was willing to never play again. The other guy said the player would never be traded and would have to retire. The owner blinked, got punked, backed down, melted or any other term that would described not having the intestinal fortitude to do what you say you are going to do.

we got the better end of the deal than a retired QB... mike brown said he wasnt gonna let player dictate there way out of contracts or the city... MB moved carson when someone offered to overpay. he didnt back down he didnt release him he let him rott on the couch. but overall he did more good for his franchise than just winning a moral victory with palmer he dump his overpaid ass and got players to help the franchise. Bengals with palmer 1 playoffs in 8 years.... Bengals without... 4/4 going for 5...

Palmer has been to the playoffs exactly 0 times since he left.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 01:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: But even then we gave palmer TO and CHAD with benson.... and ended up bad enough to be able to draft AJ Green.

I'm not saying Palmer wasn't complicit in the 2010 collapse, but acting like he should have been grateful for two WRs who were benched/out of the league the next season and a RB with a 3.5 YPC who fumbled the ball 7 times, and a 24th ranked defense isn't too reasonable.

2010 was a total team collapse against a brutally hard schedule.

Anyways, this isn't a Palmer vs. Dalton issue at all.  After 2010 it became clear that playing in Cincinnati meant playing his entire career for Marvin Lewis and he didn't seem to want to do that.  End o' story.
Reply/Quote
Wait...we're still harping on the Carson situation?

The reporter asked questions and Carson gave answers. I really don't see any place where Palmer talks down about the city or fans. He mentions he took an owner on, and that is true. He told Mike Brown to got to hell, something most everyone on this board wanted to do or still wants to do. I have no ill will towards him, the fans turned on him, and this wasn't the right fit for him. He found a place he does well in Arizona with a great coach, good for him.

Last I looked, the team I cheer for is 3-0, and set to play the Chiefs, what any former player says or does is not an issue here. What's next, are we going to get an Ahmad Brooks thread? Perhaps the Dan Skuta thread?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 01:36 PM)djs7685 Wrote: To show how much I REALLY don't care about something, I usually jump on a message board while I'm on vacation across the country with my wife to discuss that topic!

To show how much I like Bengalsboard.net I became the webmaster!
Reply/Quote