Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So what exactly is our plan for Wide Receiver?
Now that Marvin Jones is gone that leaves us with Tate, currently, as our WR2.

Im fine with letting Marvin Jones walk because of money, but there better be a plan in place to fill the WR2 void.

And im not sure that Tate or Sanu is a credible option....
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I like Marvin a lot but my problem with him is he has been hurt a lot and not worth the gamble of big money for him. We better have a plan other than Tate. My guess is through the draft we are going after WR and try and retain defensive players in FA. Would be nice to pick up a proven WR in FA but our track record with that sucks.
Reply/Quote
I think they're putting a lot of faith in James Wright. Mario Alford will get a shot in the slot to fill the Andrew Hawkins role that we lost a few years ago.

I'm not 100% sure if either of those are reliable moves, but we'll have to see.

I also think a 1st or 2nd round WR is just about a no brainer at this point.

We'll fill in the gaps of the roster with veterans like Roddy White or Mike Wallace and then we'll rely heavily on Tyler Eifert and Tyler Kroft to fill the #2 and #3-4 role, depending on what rookies and veterans we can get onto the team.

It's not ideal, but I think Illoka was the better signing, when all's said and done. And tying up 8 million in our #2/#3 option isn't a great deal for any team.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Now that Marvin Jones is gone that leaves us with Tate, currently, as our WR2.

Im fine with letting Marvin Jones walk because of money, but there better be a plan in place to fill the WR2 void.

And im not sure that Tate or Sanu is a credible option....

People who point to the draft need to look at Kevin white, Devon funchess, and breshard Perriman from last year.. Drafting a rookie WR is very hit or miss. A couple good wr classes recently, but last year was terrible

I'd like to see Wallace and boldin/colston/Andre Johnson/Jennings.

Wallace probably won't happen but maybe Reuben randle?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What's the word on Sanu? I'm sure they are working on him now.

Sign Sanu and Pacman and then draft a WR.
Reply/Quote
I said earlier this off-season when there wasn't much Sanu movement, I'd expect them to make Marvin an offer and if he left (which it looks like he is), make Sanu one next. Regardless of what Sanu does, we will probably look at a vet in FA with the expectation he'll be around a year or two, and we'll look to draft someone.
Reply/Quote
I believe they'll go with a cheaper option veteran via FA. Similar to when we brought in Nate Clements when Jonathan Joseph left. Couple that with spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another WR, and I think that's the plan at WR.

I mean, hey, if they could grab a Mike Wallace at a reduced price then I'd see they knocked this out of the park. Spending anywhere near what Marvin Jones got just doesn't make sense for a team who has AJ Green and Tyler Eifert, who is due for a new deal himself.

I look for a 1-3 year deal for a vet at 3-5 mil per.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:20 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: People who point to the draft need to look at Kevin white, Devon funchess, and breshard Perriman from last year.. Drafting a rookie WR is very hit or miss. A couple good wr classes recently, but last year was terrible

I'd like to see Wallace and boldin/colston/Andre Johnson/Jennings.

Wallace probably won't happen but maybe Reuben randle?

It could work in the right situation, though. 

A lot of receivers that are drafted in the first round are thrown in automatically as that teams WR1. Unless they are an elite level talent, like an AJ Green, it probably isnt going to work out. 

We dont have that problem here. We have other options like Eiff and AJ which could help ease a guy into the offense and not put all the pressure solely on him. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:27 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I believe they'll go with a cheaper option veteran via FA.  Similar to when we brought in Nate Clements when Jonathan Joseph left.  Couple that with spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another WR, and I think that's the plan at WR.

I mean, hey, if they could grab a Mike Wallace at a reduced price then I'd see they knocked this out of the park.  Spending anywhere near what Marvin Jones got just doesn't make sense for a team who has AJ Green and Tyler Eifert, who is due for a new deal himself.

Like an "Antonio Bryant" type of player?  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:22 PM)Benton Wrote: I said earlier this off-season when there wasn't much Sanu movement, I'd expect them to make Marvin an offer and if he left (which it looks like he is), make Sanu one next. Regardless of what Sanu does, we will probably look at a vet in FA with the expectation he'll be around a year or two, and we'll look to draft someone.

This.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:27 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I believe they'll go with a cheaper option veteran via FA.  Similar to when we brought in Nate Clements when Jonathan Joseph left.  Couple that with spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another WR, and I think that's the plan at WR.

I mean, hey, if they could grab a Mike Wallace at a reduced price then I'd see they knocked this out of the park.  Spending anywhere near what Marvin Jones got just doesn't make sense for a team who has AJ Green and Tyler Eifert, who is due for a new deal himself.

And this.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think people are right. I think Anquan Boldin's too good to kick tires on (shouldn't get a massive contract, but a fair one and I honestly could see him back in Baltimore to finish his career). There are veteran scrubs like Andre Johnson, Mike Wallace, and Marques Colston. Not my favorite list of receivers (not anymore maybe Andre since Matt was throwing to him most of the year and Luck was ass before then anyway) but it would be a band-aid. I don't really want to rely on a rookie receiver either.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What's the word on Sanu?   I'm sure they are working on him now.    

Sign Sanu and Pacman and then draft a WR.

I don't want Sanu.  He should be a lot more productive with Green and Eifert double covered.  On defense,  I would love to have Adam Jones back.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It could work in the right situation, though. 

A lot of receivers that are drafted in the first round are thrown in automatically as that teams WR1. Unless they are an elite level talent, like an AJ Green, it probably isnt going to work out. 

We dont have that problem here. We have other options like Eiff and AJ which could help ease a guy into the offense and not put all the pressure solely on him. 

Kevin white had Jeffrey, funchess had kelvin, Perriman had smith

So all of them had "#1" options but expected to contribute as a 2.  I hope the bengals draft a reciever early this year or next, but don't expect immediate results.  If that happens consider it a bonus
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking one free agent (dependent on Nelson, Jones) and one in the draft. Too bad we missed the back to back big wide receiver drafts, and now this one isn't as good. 2nd round wideout it looks like it'll be.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Like an "Antonio Bryant" type of player?  Hilarious

How is Mike Wallace like Antonio Bryant?  He's actually had more than one decent year, and last I checked, he's not coming off an IR season.  He's probably looking at making less than 5 mil per on a short deal.  Account for inflation and he'll be had for well less than half of what Bryant saw.

And fwiw, I HATED the Antonio Bryant deal from day 1.  It was actually when I first joined the boards.  Argued for weeks and weeks with people about how we should have went with Boldin.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:34 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't want Sanu.  He should be a lot more productive with Green and Eifert double covered.  On defense,  I would love to have Adam Jones back.

We need him back. We can't have 2 holes at WR. We need expierence.
Reply/Quote

Toast with a reasonable free agency take????? What in holy hell is happening in this world?
Reply/Quote
1-2 year stopgap veteran (Boldin, Jennings, etc) and draft a WR early.
Just a gut feeling.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hey guys I really wouldn't get too worked up about this because honestly Detroit paid way too much for a guy who's considered by many a second receiver. The Bengals draft Philosophy for like the last 6 years has not been to draft for need before best player available so this probably will end with us getting another second and third receiver free agency even if sanu doesn't resign.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote