Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Storming Of The Capitol Building
(01-08-2021, 05:12 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Looks like they had the budget when BLM came to DC.

This kind of misinformation is not helpful.  

(01-08-2021, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Different departments. Keep in mind that Capitol Police is who we are talking about, here, and they are a separate entity from the DoJ/DHS alphabet soup.

Exactly.  All this "it would have been worse if they were BLM protestors" is both utter bullshit and making the current situation worse.  I'm honestly sick to death of this inane trope.
(01-08-2021, 05:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Any thoughts on this pushing DC statehood forward a bit?

They could have had the National Guard ready and without waiting for Pence to send them in after Trump wouldn't (reportedly).

Or we could not elect people who will let their mob kill the police.  Crazy, I know.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-08-2021, 05:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Can't Trump just hit em all with a blanket pardon?

He could.
(01-08-2021, 04:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not a cult...

This is great.

Graham still has brown stains on his nose from Trumps ass.  He deserves whatever he gets.
(01-08-2021, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Different departments. Keep in mind that Capitol Police is who we are talking about, here, and they are a separate entity from the DoJ/DHS alphabet soup.

Point taken. I guess what I'm saying is if BLM or Antifa, were to plan on marching down to the Capitol, they would've dealt with much more resistance, well at least in my opinion. I am just not buying "We were caught with our pants down" argument. BTW Bels, I'm not accusing you of making that argument and thank you for schooling me on who was in charge of security. I just find it odd, well scary maybe a better term, that our country was not prepared for what a lot of us saw coming with the current political climate we are in.
(01-08-2021, 05:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: He could.

Well there you go.
(01-08-2021, 05:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This kind of misinformation is not helpful.  

I thanked Bels for righting me.

Exactly.  All this "it would have been worse if they were BLM protestors" is both utter bullshit and making the current situation worse.  I'm honestly sick to death of this inane trope.

I'm tired of your biased bullshit also. Thanks.
(01-08-2021, 05:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Or we could not elect people who will let their mob kill the police.  Crazy, I know.  

Absolutely.

However DC statehood has been bubbling under the surface for a bit now.  Giving them some kind of autonomy might be easier to push after this week, maybe.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(01-08-2021, 05:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This kind of misinformation is not helpful.  

So who are these guys?

[Image: Lincoln-Memorial-Police-Presence-Black-L...=850%2C478]
(01-08-2021, 05:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: The dude who had the picture with his feet up on Pelosi's desk has been arrested in Arkansas. These people are going to be shocked when they all end up with federal charges, almost like they didn't know breaking into the capitol was wrong.

One way or another, we all learn the importance of wearing masks.

This whole incident is very ugly, but I can't help but chuckle at the footage of them all walking between the velvet ropes in the rotunda... ***** clowns.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
We've talked a bit about the optics of the event Wednesday.

Edit to add: Still pictures do not always tell the full story but this about the optics too.

More...

[Image: ErFEWtAVkBIcN8B?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: ErFEWtAVEAo6oaP?format=jpg&name=900x900]

[Image: ErE-XD1XEAAaLZC?format=jpg&name=medium]

[Image: ErE-XEZVQAAykgb?format=jpg&name=medium]

[Image: ErEvV7AVkAMXKZF?format=jpg&name=medium]

[Image: ErEvV6lWMAE_LcN?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(01-08-2021, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is great.

Graham still has brown stains on his nose from Trumps ass.  He deserves whatever he gets.

I disagree... Harassing people in their private life is wrong. Just like the woke shitheads were wrong for surrounding Rand Paul and his Mrs after the RNC. I don't like Paul or Graham either, but this is a huge part of what is wrong with the political climate in this country. Did he know better than to do an about face, and jump on Trump's nuts? Yes, but that doesn't excuse this... Plus nobody wants to hear that stupid troop of baboons causing a rukus with their phones out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-08-2021, 05:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Can't Trump just hit em all with a blanket pardon?

He could but there's a couple caveats.

First, he has to specify offenses. If he just says anyone charged with "violence" or "unlawful entry" that leaves it open to possibly having other charges levied.

Second, if I'm remembering right, he can only pardon people for federal crimes. Capitol police are federal, but I'm not sure what agency would actually be charging them.
(01-08-2021, 05:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Any thoughts on this pushing DC statehood forward a bit?

They could have had the National Guard ready and without waiting for Pence to send them in after Trump wouldn't (reportedly).

I don't know if it will push DC statehood forward or not. It may result in some changes to the structure, though.

I do want to touch on that second part for a moment, though. As much as I think the ARNG should have been on the scene and despise Trump's delay in sending them, if that story is true that Pence gave that authorization then we have a serious question on our hands. Pence does not have that authority, and that is a huge breach of protocol if that rumor is true.

(01-08-2021, 05:57 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Point taken. I guess what I'm saying is if BLM or Antifa, were to plan on marching down to the Capitol, they would've dealt with much more resistance, well at least in my opinion. I am just not buying "We were caught with our pants down" argument. BTW Bels, I'm not accusing you of making that argument and thank you for schooling me on who was in charge of security. I just find it odd, well scary maybe a better term, that our country was not prepared for what a lot of us saw coming with the current political climate we are in.

Yeah, I am highly skeptical of this. Every time I see them saying "we had no idea" I can't help but call bullshit. It was all over the internet leading up to that day. These people weren't hiding their plans. Parler, Twitter, Gab, Facebook, Reddit, all of these sites are filled with these ******** saying they planned to do this. Our intelligence agencies aren't stupid. They had this information, and you know they offered it to the Capitol Police. For some reason, though, they chose to ignore the massive warning signs and refused the assistance of other federal agencies. Whether it was incompetence, hubris, or complicity, I don't know, but those are the three possibilities.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-08-2021, 06:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know if it will push DC statehood forward or not. It may result in some changes to the structure, though.

I do want to touch on that second part for a moment, though. As much as I think the ARNG should have been on the scene and despise Trump's delay in sending them, if that story is true that Pence gave that authorization then we have a serious question on our hands. Pence does not have that authority, and that is a huge breach of protocol if that rumor is true.

It supposedly wasn't just Pence, but also multiple leadership positions including Pelosi and Mcconnell. If that is true then I find it to be an acceptable check on the power of the executive branch, though it is not formalized. Hopefully the precedent holds and can be formalized.
(01-08-2021, 06:53 PM)treee Wrote: It supposedly wasn't just Pence, but also multiple leadership positions including Pelosi and Mcconnell. If that is true then I find it to be an acceptable check on the power of the executive branch, though it is not formalized. Hopefully the precedent holds and can be formalized.

As much as I would love for that to be the case, that isn't constitutional. It would take a constitutional amendment to formalize that. Article II is clear on this. Congress may hold the purse strings for the military, but it is the POTUS that is the Commander in Chief. Period.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-08-2021, 06:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: As much as I would love for that to be the case, that isn't constitutional. It would take a constitutional amendment to formalize that. Article II is clear on this. Congress may hold the purse strings for the military, but it is the POTUS that is the Commander in Chief. Period.

As far as I'm aware, they didn't do it directly. They collectively plead their case to someone within the defense department who had the authority to make that national guard activation. Did I miss something?
(01-08-2021, 07:03 PM)treee Wrote: As far as I'm aware, they didn't do it directly. They collectively plead their case to someone within the defense department who had the authority to make that national guard activation. Did I miss something?

I'd have to do some more serious research on this issue than I am willing to right now, but I'm not sure if anyone really had that authority other than POTUS. I could be wrong, though. It definitely makes me curious about it.

(01-08-2021, 06:41 PM)Benton Wrote: He could but there's a couple caveats.

First, he has to specify offenses. If he just says anyone charged with "violence" or "unlawful entry" that leaves it open to possibly having other charges levied.

Second, if I'm remembering right, he can only pardon people for federal crimes. Capitol police are federal, but I'm not sure what agency would actually be charging them.

Yes I wouldn't think the President could or would just wave his arm in the air and declare all are pardoned. Many investigations are going to take place, followed by many charges being leveled against a lot of individuals involved in what happened and those who instigated the act in the first place. I'm sure there will also be investigations into the complete breakdown of security or just plain lack of the security at the Capitol.

As to who has the authority to charge whom with what is yet to be determined I would imagine. Might be awhile before that gets sorted out, probably after Trump is no longer President.
(01-08-2021, 07:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'd have to do some more serious research on this issue than I am willing to right now, but I'm not sure if anyone really had that authority other than POTUS. I could be wrong, though. It definitely makes me curious about it.

Pretty sure there is a bit of procedural leeway given in the chain of command in exceptional situations like that, so long as it's not a direct contradiction to the commands of a superior officer.