Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Style over Substance
(04-30-2021, 09:15 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I hope you Team Chase people are happy.

Oh, how quickly you all forgot. Mark my words. Last night will be considered the worst draft pick from the Bengals in the last 10 years.

Overreaction much? This is crazy talk. So you didn't get your player and now this is the worst draft in the last 10 years? We just got one of the best WR prospects to come out in the last 3-5 years, and most draft analysts are praising the pick with high grades. Plus, the way the draft has shaken out, there are some really great options at OL available in the top of the 2nd. 
I think you're going too far with this. Another solid WR was a need. We don't have a WR that can do what Chase can do. It wasn't a bad pick at all. I would have liked OL help as well, but drafting Chase is not something to be upset about. Now if they ignore OL again tonight, we can talk about those picks being wasted. However, I highly doubt Chase will ever be considered a bad pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-30-2021, 09:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well said.  Joe Mixon seemed pretty happy on Twitter last night...

Well I mean that's until he averages 3.5 yards per carry again this year and only gets 15 carries per game because Zac wants to throw the ball 65 times a game because he has weapons on the outside lol 
(04-30-2021, 09:45 AM)mas_fuerte Wrote: Overreaction much? This is crazy talk. So you didn't get your player and now this is the worst draft in the last 10 years? We just got one of the best WR prospects to come out in the last 3-5 years, and most draft analysts are praising the pick with high grades. Plus, the way the draft has shaken out, there are some really great options at OL available in the top of the 2nd. 

Are they? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941860-nfl-draft-2021-round-1-grades-for-every-pick
(04-30-2021, 09:50 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Well I mean that's until he averages 3.5 yards per carry again this year and only gets 15 carries per game because Zac wants to throw the ball 65 times a game because he has weapons on the outside lol 

Says the pessimist.  Said Mixon:  "Can't stack the box no mo!", and he averaged 5 YPC with Pollack last time.  And that line wasn't awesome talent-wise.  
(04-30-2021, 09:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Are they? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941860-nfl-draft-2021-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

The sad thing about that BR article is I can't disagree with it.  Chase is the best WR in this class. 

However, if you talk to any front office personnel or coach you build your team inside out.  

Just like in baseball you build your up the middle.  CF, SS, 2B, P, C. 

Time will tell if the OL they pick today and tomorrow helps build this line or leaves it fumbling like they've fumbled for the past 5 years. 

I can't disagree with the F grade, and I can't say the Bengals are a better football team after the 1st round of the draft.  

I'll wait until Saturday to tell you if this team is better, because it's going to take all 7 rounds. 
Chase was absolutely the right pick...especially how the board has fallen. There are several plug and play O linemen available for us in rd 2.

One of the reasons Burrow took so many hits last season was he was often holding the ball too long as WRs werent getting open. With no boundary threat, teams were jamming Boyd at the line to delay him in his routes, and bracketing, or double covering Higgins. Chase fixes that. teams won't have the resources to do that without leaving someone else open. So Burrow will have better options from that alone. Add in that we did address the O line in FA AND got Pollack back, and the O line was better already even before the draft.

Now that the board has fallen so favorably, we will still get a very good O lineman in rd 2. I'd say the Bengals have helped Burrow in every way possible so far. Those who think Sewell was the answer to everything simply don't know football.
(04-30-2021, 09:54 AM)TJ528 Wrote: The sad thing about that BR article is I can't disagree with it.  Chase is the best WR in this class. 

However, if you talk to any front office personnel or coach you build your team inside out.  

Just like in baseball you build your up the middle.  CF, SS, 2B, P, C. 

Time will tell if the OL they pick today and tomorrow helps build this line or leaves it fumbling like they've fumbled for the past 5 years. 

I can't disagree with the F grade, and I can't say the Bengals are a better football team after the 1st round of the draft.  

I'll wait until Saturday to tell you if this team is better, because it's going to take all 7 rounds. 

Tell that to Miami and Philly. Both have as bad or worse lines than us and still took a WR, and Miami even had 2 picks and didn’t take Oline. If they didn’t get an F, then Bleacher Report is just showing favoritism.
(04-30-2021, 09:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Are they? 

Proper LOL at them giving the Bengals a F for passing on an elite O-lineman to take the best WR and then giving the Dolphins a B for passing on an elite O-lineman and picking an inferior WR.
The nice thing is that the Bengals will effectively make themselves the poster children of the growing debate about what matters most in the modern era of professional football.

"You build from the inside out" is rationale that has reigned for decades, and I agreed with it myself for the vast majority of my own time as a fan. But pretty much every advanced metric designed to describe the football played in 2021 has turned that on its head, to such a degree that wide receivers are graded at higher value than blindside tackles. It sounds like sacrilege in much the same way that sabermetrics sounded stupid to old fogeys in baseball... until it was proven right. If the advanced metrics are right again in this case, the Bengals will be the team leading that argument.
(04-30-2021, 09:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Says the pessimist.  Said Mixon:  "Can't stack the box no mo!", and he averaged 5 YPC with Pollack last time.  And that line wasn't awesome talent-wise.  

Yep your right in 2018 he averaged 4.9 ypc but that 5 yard per carry led to a 6-10 record. 

That line sucked in 2018, you are very correct.  That team still was loaded with talent though.  Great defensive players still in their prime.  

Once this front office decided to move on from Whitt it went downhill quick.

Whitt was the leader of that unit.  That unit hasn't had a leader since he left either.  

Listen I really do hope that Pollack comes in and shapes up this unit up front.  

However, people are acting like Pollacks a messiah, like he's a player, like he's a miracle worker.  

Pollack is a coach.  He can cure all ills of this football team up front.  He can't keep Jonah Williams healthy and on the field.  The kids played 10-32 football games, there's good reason to question his durability.  

The organization question Whits ability to play tackle at Reiff's age and yet they sign an OL who's Whitts age and they hope he's able to stay healthy and play 16 games this season and then they have to figure out the C and G positions.  

So again, I hope that Pollack can put it all together.  I hope they can put it all together and win 11-12 games.  The chances of that happening IMO are slim though. 
(04-30-2021, 09:58 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Proper LOL at them giving the Bengals a F for passing on an elite O-lineman to take the best WR and then giving the Dolphins a B for passing on an elite O-lineman and picking an inferior WR.

I follow the draft, almost in embarrassingly obsessive fashion...I have never heard of Brent Sobleski.
Well, as someone who was Team “we getting a great player no matter what” I am happy with the choice. This is a DEEP draft for OL and it fell almost perfectly for us.

Side note - a lot of us predicted that there would be those on Team Sewell who would have a fit if their player wasn’t picked and would do like they have been doing before and rant and insult anyone not agreeing with them....seems like we were right sadly.
(04-30-2021, 09:58 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Tell that to Miami and Philly. Both have as bad or worse lines than us and still took a WR, and Miami even had 2 picks and didn’t take Oline. If they didn’t get an F, then Bleacher Report is just showing favoritism.

Hmmm do both those organizations have QB's coming back from having their knee destroyed in a game last season by an incompetent front office and OL?   The guy was in line to be sacked 51 times in a season, and smacked around many more times.  You're QB can only take so many hits.  Ask Andrew Luck!!

And don't come back with well Pollacks back.  As i said in another post, Pollack's not a wizard, he's not a miracle worker, he's not a player, he's a coach.  He isnt going to fix all ills on this OL in one season.  If this OL by the end of 2020 is playing at an All Pro offensive line level i'll eat crow but I'll almost guarantee this time next year we'll be siting here saying the same thing "We really need help on the OL, we need to draft a T at #1 because Reiffs gone"
(04-30-2021, 09:58 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Tell that to Miami and Philly. Both have as bad or worse lines than us and still took a WR, and Miami even had 2 picks and didn’t take Oline. If they didn’t get an F, then Bleacher Report is just showing favoritism.

Neither of them had Penei Sewell winking at them from across the bar, did they?
(04-30-2021, 10:04 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Hmmm do both those organizations have QB's coming back from having their knee destroyed in a game last season by an incompetent front office and OL?   The guy was in line to be sacked 51 times in a season, and smacked around many more times.  You're QB can only take so many hits.  Ask Andrew Luck!!

And don't come back with well Pollacks back.  As i said in another post, Pollack's not a wizard, he's not a miracle worker, he's not a player, he's a coach.  He isnt going to fix all ills on this OL in one season.  If this OL by the end of 2020 is playing at an All Pro offensive line level i'll eat crow but I'll almost guarantee this time next year we'll be siting here saying the same thing "We really need help on the OL, we need to draft a T at #1 because Reiffs gone"

Andrew Luck got hurt in an offseason snowboarding accident that wasn't disclosed until later on, but that was actually the injury that essentially ended his career. The narrative about Luck has been completely skewed and isn't indicative of anything related to Burrow. Watson and Wilson both have been hit at rates ahead of what Burrow was last year and have had fine careers, the idea it's doom and gloom is simply not true. 
(04-30-2021, 10:03 AM)Joelist Wrote: Well, as someone who was Team “we getting a great player no matter what” I am happy with the choice. This is a DEEP draft for OL and it fell almost perfectly for us.

Side note - a lot of us predicted that there would be those on Team Sewell who would have a fit if their player wasn’t picked and would do like they have been doing before and rant and insult anyone not agreeing with them....seems like we were right sadly.

Who did I insult?

I didn't insult anyone. And judging from your avatar, there's a LOT of subject material there.

Godzilla? Really?
I was selling tickets to the Sewell train. But I also bought a ticket for the Chase train. He is a cleaner prospect. Fills a need. Was a universally rated top 10 pick. And had one of the best seasons ever for a WR with our Heisman QB in an undefeated national championship season. Having the best WRs in a passing league with a #1 pick Heisman QB could be pretty sweet. 7 more picks to go unless we trade. Still time for OL
(04-30-2021, 10:06 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Neither of them had Penei Sewell winking at them from across the bar, did they?

Yes, he was available for Miami and they passed on him too.
(04-30-2021, 10:09 AM)Beaker Wrote: Yes, he was available for Miami and they passed on him too.

What?  No they weren't. Lions were after the Natti.