Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Style over Substance
(04-30-2021, 10:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: B actually lol. And they had TWO 1st round picks to use on protection for their injury-prone QB...

Yet they went WR & DE.

Insert National Media Narrative in 3, 2, 1......

Did you see this?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/4/29/22411097/bengals-news-jamarr-chase-nfl-picks-draft-2021-lsu-football?fbclid=IwAR2AlfRH_STv7pZtGDfYuFlqM9Q3FvR1IpimkdiH-1Y3ry6OwnmUh34HF9c
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-30-2021, 10:24 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: This could be driven by my need to be right but..

Wouldn't the fact that said teams passed on "Rd 1 and 2 talent" indicate that these potential picks for us aren't as good as we think? And if so, wouldn't that make my pick in Sewell the correct one?

I could see it either way. Sewell being the best O linemen in this draft backs my position regardless of whether the other O linemen pan out or not. If the O-linemen are bad, then the Bengals waiting to go Line was the bad call and they should've went Sewell. If the o linemen are good but Sewell lives to his namesake of being the best among them, then the Bengals still should've gotten Sewell.

I guess i'm still reeling that this board when from "we got to protect Joe" to this in record time.

No, what it means is there is SO MUCH talent at Oline in this draft that not many felt the urgency to have to grab one in the first round, knowing there would be plenty in rds 2 and 3....
(04-30-2021, 10:16 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: What the? 

Burrow had SO much hype going into last year's draft. And his performance last year despite the situation he was in (Bad roaster all around and in a year with no off-season due to Covid) showed the hype was justified.

When did his trajectory change? Have I been under a rock? 

I’m one of the biggest Burrow fans on this board, and was one of the first people banging the drum for him, that doesn’t mean I think he’s generational. Do you realize that word means a player like that only comes around once or twice in a generation?

There's a helluva article in The Athletic (pay wall) that lays out just how talented Chase is. They point out he had 100+ yard games against three CB who went in the first round last year.

All the prognosticators and their hand wringing about the draft crack me up. They're not just wrong about how great QB's will be.

Tony Mandarich anyone?
(04-30-2021, 10:22 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Also, I think Burrow not hurt, media may be different.  Miami has a LOWER PFF rating along OL compared to Bengals.  Phins are a place where QB not named Marino go to wither away.  Several teams needed OL but picked talent based on their scouting.  Phins had TWO picks round 1 and no OL selection.  Media silent.  

The hate you are seeing on social media, sports media are by lazy analysts or bloggers or fans who are parroting a false narrative.  Bengals went to 5 straight playoffs.  Until Bengals win, they are not respected.

You are totally correct on this.  The Bengals during our 5 year playoff run was respected by the National media.  They seen the Bengals making smart draft picks.  Making picks by BPA and not need.   

Until this team is winning again, just like any franchise they're going to catch heat.  I mean the franchise hasn't won anything in it's existence and has been labeled the Bungals for a reason.  They usually bungal something in the front office, coaching or during the game. 
(04-30-2021, 10:24 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Guys, didn’t you know quality offensive linemen are only found in R1? The ones that fall to the 2nd and 3rd rounds are all bums, have no business protecting a franchise QB or opening running lanes, and should all be concidered Training Camp Fodder.

Maybe wait and see who they pick up today. Y’all can freak out if they spend their second pick on a kicker.

They're gonna sprint to the podium for the interior D-linemen. The bengals are higher on their o line situation than most.

They're fine with Reiff, believe Su-a-Filo is perfectly fine,  and liked what they saw in Spain.

They won't go O line until Rds 4-6.
(04-30-2021, 10:11 AM)TJ528 Wrote: If you talk to any Colts fan, they'll tell you that Andrew Luck got hit so much by the opposing team that's a lot of the reason he called it a career.  He might have gotten hurt in the offseason but getting pounded on during the season sure as hell didnt help.  

I guess I kind of look at it as a fight.  You can say a boxer can keep taking punches and keep taking them but eventually he's going to go down because a body can only take so much.  Same thing with a QB.  That guys body can only take so many hits.  

I don't really care what colts fans tell you, he almost couldn't throw a ball again coming back from that injury. Luck later talked about how traumatic that specific incident was. The off-season injury was the worst injury he ever sustained and he considered retirement at that point.
(04-30-2021, 09:32 AM)TJ528 Wrote: can we please thow Dennard and Kirkpatrick on this list with those 2 and Price?   

Geez, look at our drafts since 2011 you have to wonder HTF is Tobin still in charge of player and personnel lol

Good lord!

Bengals generally just draft mediocre to bad, the only reason they tend to have talent is due to their high draft picks from constant losing seasons, which gets you the best talent in a fail proof pick order.

If Chase is anything close to Higgins, then we have a successful draft pick, if he's more like Ross (which I doubt), then we failed. 

The bengals are like the lions with their love for QBs and WRs...in the draft. 
(04-30-2021, 10:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Insert National Media Narrative in 3, 2, 1......

Did you see this?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/4/29/22411097/bengals-news-jamarr-chase-nfl-picks-draft-2021-lsu-football?fbclid=IwAR2AlfRH_STv7pZtGDfYuFlqM9Q3FvR1IpimkdiH-1Y3ry6OwnmUh34HF9c

Yep. Love it. Ofc people here are already calling him a “diva” for it though...

(04-30-2021, 09:15 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I hope you Team Chase people are happy.

Oh, how quickly you all forgot. Mark my words. Last night will be considered the worst draft pick from the Bengals in the last 10 years.

I was Team Sewell (or even Slater) but c’mon man, the dudes below are waving at you.....

John Ross (injury history when drafted)
Billy Price (hurt when drafted)
Cedric Ogbuehi (hurt when drafted)

Jamar Chase is a stud, and a way better prospect than any of the three listed above.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(04-30-2021, 10:24 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: This could be driven by my need to be right but..

Wouldn't the fact that said teams passed on "Rd 1 and 2 talent" indicate that these potential picks for us aren't as good as we think? And if so, wouldn't that make my pick in Sewell the correct one?

I could see it either way. Sewell being the best O linemen in this draft backs my position regardless of whether the other O linemen pan out or not. If the O-linemen are bad, then the Bengals waiting to go Line was the bad call and they should've went Sewell. If the o linemen are good but Sewell lives to his namesake of being the best among them, then the Bengals still should've gotten Sewell.

I guess i'm still reeling that this board when from "we got to protect Joe" to this in record time. Amazing what a break from following sports will do. Nolt saying it's the right sentiment. Just shocked how things went from a consensus to this.

(04-30-2021, 10:28 AM)Au165 Wrote: I don't really care what colts fans tell you, he almost couldn't throw a ball again coming back from that injury. Luck later talked about how traumatic that specific incident was. The off-season injury was the worst injury he ever sustained and he considered retirement at that point.

What injury was this?
Everything in this post is my fault.
(04-30-2021, 10:29 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Bengals generally just draft mediocre to bad, the only reason they tend to have talent is due to their high draft picks from constant losing seasons, which gets you the best talent in a fail proof pick order.

If Chase is anything close to Higgins, then we have a successful draft pick, if he's more like Ross (which I doubt), then we failed. 

Well the Bengals are like the Lions with their love for the QB's and WR in the draft because they sell jersey, which nets them $$$$. 

It's always about the mighty dollar when it comes to this team. 
(04-30-2021, 10:29 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Bengals generally just draft mediocre to bad, the only reason they tend to have talent is due to their high draft picks from constant losing seasons, which gets you the best talent in a fail proof pick order.

The Lions are putting together a pretty decent O-line. It only took since Sanders retiring, but hey, they’re on the path.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(04-30-2021, 10:27 AM)TJ528 Wrote: You are totally correct on this.  The Bengals during our 5 year playoff run was respected by the National media.  They seen the Bengals making smart draft picks.  Making picks by BPA and not need.   

Until this team is winning again, just like any franchise they're going to catch heat.  I mean the franchise hasn't won anything in it's existence and has been labeled the Bungals for a reason.  They usually bungal something in the front office, coaching or during the game. 

Browns have not been to playoffs but once in about 20 years.  But they won a playoff game.  Browns are one of two teams that went 0-16.  Yet the national media perception is they are "smart".  Winning a playoff game is not ultimate goal but tends to shut-up people.

I will say this about the Brownies, they are stacked with talent.  Not sure about team chemistry though.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

(04-30-2021, 10:31 AM)Big Boss Wrote: What injury was this?

It was the AC sprain on the same shoulder he tore the labrum in. I actually misremembered, the AC was on the torn labrum but the labrum was probably more of the issue. He talked about them both in the same interview but he points to the labrum issue. 
(04-30-2021, 10:30 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I was Team Sewell (or even Slater) but c’mon man, the dudes below are waving at you.....

John Ross (injury history when drafted)
Billy Price (hurt when drafted)
Cedric Ogbuehi (hurt when drafted)

Jamar Chase is a stud, and a way better prospect than any of the three listed above.

It only takes Chase not being the next Julio or AB and Sewell being a stable at his position for 5 years or more.
(04-30-2021, 10:33 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Browns have not been to playoffs but once in about 20 years.  But they won a playoff game.  Browns are one of two teams that went 0-16.  Yet the national media perception is they are "smart".  Winning a playoff game is not ultimate goal but tends to shut-up people.

I will say this about the Brownies,  they are stacked with talent.  Not sure about team chemistry though.  

The Brownies are stacked with talent because they have a large front office with many more scouts than the Bengals and knowledgeable football people in their front office. 

The Bengals have the grand daughter of a HOF coach, the son of a former GM, and 4 scouts.  

The Browns problem never was they didnt have the players, their problem was they kept hiring the wrong coach and drafting the wrong QB.  
(04-30-2021, 10:06 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Neither of them had Penei Sewell winking at them from across the bar, did they?

Miami did , and Slater could have went to Philly.
(04-30-2021, 10:37 AM)TJ528 Wrote: The Brownies are stacked with talent because they have a large front office with many more scouts than the Bengals and knowledgeable football people in their front office. 

The Bengals have the grand daughter of a HOF coach, the son of a former GM, and 4 scouts.  

The Browns problem never was they didnt have the players, their problem was they kept hiring the wrong coach and drafting the wrong QB.  

Bengals have found more gems at key positions than the Browns have. That's why the Browns losing doesn't seem as unfathomable as the Bengals losing.
(04-30-2021, 10:10 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: What?  No they weren't. Lions were after the Natti.

Dolphins were 6, Lions were 7.