Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Style over Substance
(04-30-2021, 09:38 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Is Joe Burrow and elite generational QB or isn't he? 

No.

We all hope he can become elite at some point (say - - a top 5 QB in the league), but he’s not generational. That word gets tossed around way too much in sports these days.

Anyway, continue your tantrum.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(04-30-2021, 10:09 AM)Beaker Wrote: Yes, he was available for Miami and they passed on him too.

The Steelers also passed on OL after losing 3 starters with an older broken-down QB behind center. Why did all these teams with big needs at OL pass on them in RD1? Because the draft has starters all over rounds 2 and 3.
Let's wait until the end of the draft before jumping off a cliff.

And I say that as a Sewell guy.
(04-30-2021, 10:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: Andrew Luck got hurt in an offseason snowboarding accident that wasn't disclosed until later on, but that was actually the injury that essentially ended his career. The narrative about Luck has been completely skewed and isn't indicative of anything related to Burrow. Watson and Wilson both have been hit at rates ahead of what Burrow was last year and have had fine careers, the idea it's doom and gloom is simply not true. 

If you talk to any Colts fan, they'll tell you that Andrew Luck got hit so much by the opposing team that's a lot of the reason he called it a career.  He might have gotten hurt in the offseason but getting pounded on during the season sure as hell didnt help.  

I guess I kind of look at it as a fight.  You can say a boxer can keep taking punches and keep taking them but eventually he's going to go down because a body can only take so much.  Same thing with a QB.  That guys body can only take so many hits.  
(04-30-2021, 09:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Are they? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941860-nfl-draft-2021-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

Giving the pick an F is beyond ridiculous. Hard to take such nonsense seriously.

(04-30-2021, 10:01 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Yep your right in 2018 he averaged 4.9 ypc but that 5 yard per carry led to a 6-10 record. 

That line sucked in 2018, you are very correct.  That team still was loaded with talent though.  Great defensive players still in their prime.  

Once this front office decided to move on from Whitt it went downhill quick.

Whitt was the leader of that unit.  That unit hasn't had a leader since he left either.  

Listen I really do hope that Pollack comes in and shapes up this unit up front.  

However, people are acting like Pollacks a messiah, like he's a player, like he's a miracle worker.  

Pollack is a coach.  He can cure all ills of this football team up front.  He can't keep Jonah Williams healthy and on the field.  The kids played 10-32 football games, there's good reason to question his durability.  

The organization question Whits ability to play tackle at Reiff's age and yet they sign an OL who's Whitts age and they hope he's able to stay healthy and play 16 games this season and then they have to figure out the C and G positions.  

So again, I hope that Pollack can put it all together.  I hope they can put it all together and win 11-12 games.  The chances of that happening IMO are slim though. 

To whom are you referring here?  And yes, they moved on from Whit.  Kind of had to since they had used two high picks on OTs.  They were busts.  

I didn't call Pollack a Messiah.  Jesus, do you overreact much?  I said that Mixon was excited about the Chase pick and he tweeted about it.  Just like he did Pollack.  I think Mixon is a VERY important ingredient to a successful season.  And all this pissing and moaning about not getting the tackle in Rd 1 without watching the rest of the draft is like acting like a four year old.  
(04-30-2021, 09:26 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Bengals are just sitting on their ass and hoping an O linemen walks over all sexy and sits on their lap like  a dime piece at a strip club. What makes you so sure other aggressive teams won't trade up to get over the hapless Bengals? 

Last time the Bengals FO tried that we got the Price is right center. Color me skeptical.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wasted the pick on an interior D linemen instead,

One of the most frustrating aspects of the Mike Brown era over the last few years is that they seem content with "starter" OL players, not great players.  WTS, Chase was the right pick it seems.  Boundary WR disappeared.   Maybe Moores would have worked at #38 but there are several OL available.  

I do fear the Bengals will go defense in round 2.  I would reiterate something I said in another thread several months ago, Talent is innate and although a team has many "needs"  draft Talent (within reason ofc) and team will get better.  

If the Bengals can get 2 IOL players this year, and there are several to choose from, it will help with rush and Burrow.  Remember, Jordan, LG inadvertently turned the player onto Burrow. It was not OT player.  Also, trust in Pollack I guess to get more from players.    
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

(04-30-2021, 10:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Giving the pick an F is beyond ridiculous. Hard to take such nonsense seriously.

Probably gave Miami an "A" despite doing the same thing and they have a worse offensive line, statistically. 
(04-30-2021, 09:58 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Proper LOL at them giving the Bengals a F for passing on an elite O-lineman to take the best WR and then giving the Dolphins a B for passing on an elite O-lineman and picking an inferior WR.

Right? ZERO credibility.

(04-30-2021, 09:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Are they? 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941860-nfl-draft-2021-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

Nice try... Bleacher Report is a F'ing joke. They're the only one I've seen that didn't give us an A or B grade. And as others have pointed out, they're wildly inconsistent... giving Miami a "B" when their OL is as bad as ours. 

Here are a few more you forgot to include:

Sports Illustrated: B
The Sporting News: A-
CBS Sports: B+
The Athletic: B
Yahoo Sports: A-
USA Today: A+
Fox Sports: A
(04-30-2021, 10:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No.

We all hope he can become elite at some point (say - - a top 5 QB in the league), but he’s not generational. That word gets tossed around way too much in sports these days.

Anyway, continue your tantrum.

What the? 

Burrow had SO much hype going into last year's draft. And his performance last year despite the situation he was in (Bad roaster all around and in a year with no off-season due to Covid) showed the hype was justified.

When did his trajectory change? Have I been under a rock? 
(04-30-2021, 10:10 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: What?  No they weren't. Lions were after the Natti.

Incorrect. Miami took Waddle the pick after us.

(04-30-2021, 10:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To whom are you referring here?  And yes, they moved on from Whit.  Kind of had to since they had used two high picks on OTs.  They were busts.  

I didn't call Pollack a Messiah.  Jesus, do you overreact much?  I said that Mixon was excited about the Chase pick and he tweeted about it.  Just like he did Pollack.  I think Mixon is a VERY important ingredient to a successful season.  And all this pissing and moaning about not getting the tackle in Rd 1 without watching the rest of the draft is like acting like a four year old.  

lol calm down i didnt say "you" called him a messiah.  what i said was reading this board and it's almost like everyone who thinks highly of Pollack thinks of him as some messiah.  That's how people on this board react.  When mentioning the OL was a weak point "Pollacks back and he's the biggest addition to this OL.  WTF is he going to go out there and put on the pads and play?"  Listen I think Pollacks a good coach but when you're starting with a shit pile you can't polish that turd into gold overnight.   This OL will be a work in progress all year this year and all year next year, if he sticks around after 2021.  

i agree Mixon is a very important ingredient to this season.  I truly think you have to run the ball to throw the ball and we havent been able to run the ball for 2 season.  Now my question is will Zac put the running game in his game plan?  There were times last year we ran the ball and ran it well and in then in 2nd half he totally abandoned the run.   
(04-30-2021, 10:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Incorrect. Miami took Waddle the pick after us.

Oh....

Well yeah, Dolphins were dumb for that one. They still haven't recovered from trading Tumsil. 
(04-30-2021, 09:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Are they? 

Bleacher report is a blogger site where anyone can apply to write articles kinda like SB Nation. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(04-30-2021, 10:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Probably gave Miami an "A" despite doing the same thing and they have a worse offensive line, statistically. 

B actually lol. And they had TWO 1st round picks to use on protection for their injury-prone QB...

Yet they went WR & DE.

Also, I think Burrow not hurt, media may be different. Miami has a LOWER PFF rating along OL compared to Bengals. Phins are a place where QB not named Marino go to wither away. Several teams needed OL but picked talent based on their scouting. Phins had TWO picks round 1 and no OL selection. Media silent.

The hate you are seeing on social media, sports media are by lazy analysts or bloggers or fans who are parroting a false narrative. Bengals went to 5 straight playoffs. Until Bengals win, they are not respected.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Let's revisit this thread tonight and see if emotions are still as high as they are now.

Jenkins and Eichenberg are still sitting there and they are nasty dudes.
Everything in this post is my fault.
This could be driven by my need to be right but..

Wouldn't the fact that said teams passed on "Rd 1 and 2 talent" indicate that these potential picks for us aren't as good as we think? And if so, wouldn't that make my pick in Sewell the correct one?

I could see it either way. Sewell being the best O linemen in this draft backs my position regardless of whether the other O linemen pan out or not. If the O-linemen are bad, then the Bengals waiting to go Line was the bad call and they should've went Sewell. If the o linemen are good but Sewell lives to his namesake of being the best among them, then the Bengals still should've gotten Sewell.

I guess i'm still reeling that this board when from "we got to protect Joe" to this in record time. Amazing what a break from following sports will do. Nolt saying it's the right sentiment. Just shocked how things went from a consensus to this.
Guys, didn’t you know quality offensive linemen are only found in R1? The ones that fall to the 2nd and 3rd rounds are all bums, have no business protecting a franchise QB or opening running lanes, and should all be concidered Training Camp Fodder.

Maybe wait and see who they pick up today. Y’all can freak out if they spend their second pick on a kicker.