Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Difference between the Bengals and Pittsburg?
(01-10-2017, 05:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: yes-awesome-oldschool.gif]

(01-10-2017, 06:23 PM)Earendil Wrote: Here's one on a transparent background that would look better when quoted:

[Image: DRtUdGo.png]

Yes, it does. AWESOME!!! Lumina lmao! Hilarious LMAO Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 02:54 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I truly believe if the Bengals should happen to make the playoffs next year, MB will extend Marvin, and MB will breathe a sigh of relief.

If not, I think MB will be on the fence with a puckered butthole, fearing that if he let's Marvin walk, that whoever he picks to replace will be worse!  I truly believe that fear is in the back of his mind.  Not even MB wants to revisit the 90s ... does he?

The 90's made Mike Brown a ton of money, and set the stage for buying out minority team owners and wringing maximum concessions from Hamilton County on the most one-sided stadium deal in professional sports.  The decade also produced the iconic, luxuriously appointed Chevrolet Lumina.  I doubt he views the 90's as we do.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 06:33 PM)kevin Wrote: After Paul Brown died, Maybe the Rooney Family is just smarter and better than the Brown Family when it comes to football.  I've heard it said Mike Brown is a very good lawyer type. The last person you would want to sit down with in contract negotiations. Still, maybe the Rooney Family is just better at Football than the Brown Family.  You do have to consider this as being possible considering The Rooney Family fields so many winning teams over the decades.  Could it be that the only true Football person in the Brown Family was Paul Brown who died in 1991, which is right when this franchise went from Super Bowls to the worst team in the NFL.  Oh yes, The Bengals started playing better from 2003 on, which is why Coach Marvin Lewis should get more credit for the first winning this team did since Paul Brown died.  Again, The Rooney Family may just be better at Football than the Brown Family without Paul Brown.

(01-10-2017, 08:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When you say he's a good lawyer and good at contract negotiations...if the goal is getting the absolute lowest price then yes. But that comes at a cost...and that is alienating players and being perceived as a cheap franchise.

Pretty much this.  The Rooney family knows enough to get out of the way, and let their front office run football operations.  The Rooney's set the direction, let their hand-picked folks carry out the vision, and don't try to play GM or draft wizard.  They also don't make the coaches do most of the scouting, nor do they nickel and dime the players and fans.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 03:36 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Pretty much this.  The Rooney family knows enough to get out of the way, and let their front office run football operations.  The Rooney's set the direction, let their hand-picked folks carry out the vision, and don't try to play GM or draft wizard.  They also don't make the coaches do most of the scouting, nor do they nickel and dime the players and fans.

Look at the Steelers scouting department...they have 19 employees. Most are scouts:
http://www.steelers.com/team/front-office.html

Now look at the Bengals...we have 8 employees in our scouting department:
http://www.bengals.com/team/staff-directory.html

The Ravens have 24 employees in their Player Personnel department:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/front-office-staff.html
Reply/Quote
I believe there is:  It’s all about physical play. 

Now like any other comparison we can make, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  What one viewer sees as Pittsburgh’s ability to impose their will physically over their opponents, another viewer simply sees lowbrow, dirty play from the Steelers.  Both of these sentiments are unequivocally true.  You see, the Steelers play every opponent the same way:  They want to bash their brains in and make them like it.  It’s an intimidation factor few teams possess.  Where New England intimidates their opponents by playing mistake-free football with flawless execution, Pittsburgh doesn’t approach games that way.  In their world, playing mistake-free football isn’t as important as playing fast, physically, and hitting harder than the other team… 

…and therein lies the “secret” of the Steelers.  If they are running a little faster, hitting a little harder, and holding a little longer, pure execution isn’t so crucial.  The Steelers can be “off” and still win simply by wearing an opponent down or causing the other team to commit personal foul penalties out of frustration. 

How did the Bengals react to Ryan Shazier’s spearing of Giovani Bernard?  How did the Bengals react to Kimo von Oelhoffen?  Were there any repercussions for dirty play against Ken Anderson, Keith Rivers, or Kevin Huber?  Did the Browns utter more than a whimper of protest when Antonio Brown kicked their punter in the face?  How do the Bengals react to this dry spell against the Steelers?  Here’s what I hear:  “Ho hum.  Giggle!  Giggle!  You know, it’s the Steelers and that’s, you know, the way they play and we just need to make more plays and execute better. Giggle!  Snort!” 

I promise that response is the worst response possible.  It’s a loser’s excuse.   

When Mike Tomlin – or Bill Cowher or Chuck Noll – was asked about the Steelers when they have bad first half, how do they react?  No giggles.  No snorts.  I hear things like, “We need to play faster and more physical.”  

The Cincinnati Bengals are not the New England Patriots and Marvin Lewis is no Bill Belichick.  The Bengals will never achieve flawless execution so playing faster and more physical is the answer to beating Pittsburgh – or anyone else.  In 2009 this happened and the Bengals swept the AFC North, then promptly switched to an execution type scheme and got blown out by the Jets in consecutive weeks.

Play fast, play hard!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 01:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I believe there is:  It’s all about physical play. 

Now like any other comparison we can make, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  What one viewer sees as Pittsburgh’s ability to impose their will physically over their opponents, another viewer simply sees lowbrow, dirty play from the Steelers.  Both of these sentiments are unequivocally true.  You see, the Steelers play every opponent the same way:  They want to bash their brains in and make them like it.  It’s an intimidation factor few teams possess.  Where New England intimidates their opponents by playing mistake-free football with flawless execution, Pittsburgh doesn’t approach games that way.  In their world, playing mistake-free football isn’t as important as playing fast, physically, and hitting harder than the other team… 

…and therein lies the “secret” of the Steelers.  If they are running a little faster, hitting a little harder, and holding a little longer, pure execution isn’t so crucial.  The Steelers can be “off” and still win simply by wearing an opponent down or causing the other team to commit personal foul penalties out of frustration. 

How did the Bengals react to Ryan Shazier’s spearing of Giovani Bernard?  How did the Bengals react to Kimo von Oelhoffen?  Were there any repercussions for dirty play against Ken Anderson, Keith Rivers, or Kevin Huber?  Did the Browns utter more than a whimper of protest when Antonio Brown kicked their punter in the face?  How do the Bengals react to this dry spell against the Steelers?  Here’s what I hear:  “Ho hum.  Giggle!  Giggle!  You know, it’s the Steelers and that’s, you know, the way they play and we just need to make more plays and execute better. Giggle!  Snort!” 

I promise that response is the worst response possible.  It’s a loser’s excuse.   

When Mike Tomlin – or Bill Cowher or Chuck Noll – was asked about the Steelers when they have bad first half, how do they react?  No giggles.  No snorts.  I hear things like, “We need to play faster and more physical.”  

The Cincinnati Bengals are not the New England Patriots and Marvin Lewis is no Bill Belichick.  The Bengals will never achieve flawless execution so playing faster and more physical is the answer to beating Pittsburgh – or anyone else.  In 2009 this happened and the Bengals swept the AFC North, then promptly switched to an execution type scheme and got blown out by the Jets in consecutive weeks.

Play fast, play hard!

One thing Bill B. does prove is you don't have to a ravng maniac on the sidelines, or at press conferences to by great! He is even more laid back than Lewis, but 10 times the coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 02:18 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: One thing Bill B. does prove is you don't have to a racing maniac on the sidelines at press conferences to by great! He is even more laid back than Lewis, but 10 times the coach.

The Patriots scouting department has 19 people too. The Bengals have 8 people.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4720722/a-look-inside-scouting-department-2
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 02:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Patriots scouting department has 19 people too. The Bengals have 8 people.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4720722/a-look-inside-scouting-department-2

Exactly.  Not to take ANYTHING away from Bill or Brady, but that Patriot success goes much, much deeper than those 2 guys, for sure!

That's why I say it falls on the shoulders of MB.

If Bill B. were here, with the same Bengals staff, scouts, no more control than Lewis has etc. etc., not so sure, he alone, would make 'enough' of a difference.  He would make a difference, but not sure how much.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 06:33 PM)kevin Wrote: After Paul Brown died, Maybe the Rooney Family is just smarter and better than the Brown Family when it comes to football.  I've heard it said Mike Brown is a very good lawyer type. The last person you would want to sit down with in contract negotiations. Still, maybe the Rooney Family is just better at Football than the Brown Family.  You do have to consider this as being possible considering The Rooney Family fields so many winning teams over the decades.  Could it be that the only true Football person in the Brown Family was Paul Brown who died in 1991, which is right when this franchise went from Super Bowls to the worst team in the NFL.  Oh yes, The Bengals started playing better from 2003 on, which is why Coach Marvin Lewis should get more credit for the first winning this team did since Paul Brown died.  Again, The Rooney Family may just be better at Football than the Brown Family without Paul Brown.

I've always said that you WANT Mike Brown to run your business. You DON'T WANT him to run your favorite football team.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 03:22 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I've always said that you WANT Mike Brown to run your business. You DON'T WANT him to run your favorite football team.

It's really hard to lose money in the NFL with revenue sharing so it's hard to evaluate how good of a business person these owners are. Competitive market forces don't apply.

Now, if you own an actual business that makes a product...you do everything you can to make that product a quality product or customers don't buy it. And you go out of business.

The NFL model is akin to 5 businesses...1 with a horrible product...yet they each share the profits 20% each.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 02:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Patriots scouting department has 19 people too. The Bengals have 8 people.

That's a big increase over how many people the Bengals had in the scouting department when I first joined the old board ten years ago:  One.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 04:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's a big increase over how many people the Bengals had in the scouting department when I first joined the old board ten years ago:  One.

Agreed...and now people see how we were so bad in the 90's.

We exponentially increased our scouting department...but teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens have 2x the scouts.

So are the Bengals scouts just that much better than those teams that we don't need that many...
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 04:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's a big increase over how many people the Bengals had in the scouting department when I first joined the old board ten years ago:  One.

One "full time" scout and like 3 "regional part time" guys is how I remember it being described. 

I wonder how many of these 8 scouts are full time?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 04:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed...and now people see how we were so bad in the 90's.

We exponentially increased our scouting department...but teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens have 2x the scouts.

So are the Bengals scouts just that much better than those teams that we don't need that many...

Nope, just cheaper. ThumbsUp

I wonder how many scouts some of the bottom feeders like Cleveland and Jacksonville employ.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 05:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One "full time" scout and like 3 "regional part time" guys is how I remember it being described. 

I wonder how many of these 8 scouts are full time?

It was a few years ago where it was reported that a couple of our "scouts" were actually part of a service. They weren't exclusive to just the Bengals, but they got paid by the service and the Bengals.

Not sure if that was true, but it would make sense. Anyone remember Jerry Jones (not the Dallas owner) and the Drugstore List? It was known that Mike Brown loved using that thing for draft rankings. When you got to the quotes the only names you saw were Bengals coaches, players, and ex-players who had moved into media roles.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 12:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Look at the Steelers scouting department...they have 19 employees. Most are scouts:
http://www.steelers.com/team/front-office.html

Now look at the Bengals...we have 8 employees in our scouting department:
http://www.bengals.com/team/staff-directory.html

The Ravens have 24 employees in their Player Personnel department:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/front-office-staff.html

Are these relatives too, or low level assistant coaches? Likely this is a big part of the drafting issues in Cincinnati. - E.g. Ogeebogee, et al.
Reply/Quote
They're just a better run organization, better owners, better coaching, better players. Maybe one day we'll get there, but we're not there now or will be in the near future, Steelers don't cheat, refs don't favor them. We dominated them in the 80s but not since, Plain and simple. They're better.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 09:47 PM)cvbengals Wrote: They're just a better run organization, better owners, better coaching, better players. Maybe one day we'll get there, but we're not there now or will be in the near future, Steelers don't cheat, refs don't favor them. We dominated them in the 80s but not since, Plain and simple. They're better.

Hell of a first post! Really no way to argue that...
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 06:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I see some distinct differences between the teams.

Steelers plan for and play to win championships as well as they can.

Bengals plan for doing the best they can, whatever that might be.

Steelers research and game plan for opponents with scheme and do adjust in games.

Bengals game plan for opponents and when it doesn't work out, well "we have to play better."

Steelers will cut you if you screw around.

Bengals will give you a priestly "I understand my son" and let it go at that.

Steelers will fire coaches for bad performing teams or units.

Bengals will give a contract extension.

I could go on, but pretty much the above illustrates the point.

the 2 in bold sum up the biggest difference.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 09:47 PM)cvbengals Wrote: They're just a better run organization, better owners, better coaching, better players. Maybe one day we'll get there, but we're not there now or will be in the near future, Steelers don't cheat, refs don't favor them. We dominated them in the 80s but not since, Plain and simple. They're better.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

[Image: 120413-mike-tomlin-launch-1.jpg]

Nope....they never cheat at all.... 

[Image: BaNZYaLIUAAuNvf.jpg]

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote