Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Difference between the Bengals and Pittsburg?
It's not just the players on their current roster, the roster from five years ago, or the roster from 10 years ago. The Steelers have owned this franchise for a very long time. Someone else pointed out the record from the 70's under Paul Brown, but how many Super Bowls was Pittsburgh winning that decade?

It comes down to ownership and the culture/mentality of the teams. Pittsburgh is a franchise that is built to win and considers anything less than a championship season to be a failure. Around here we are told that having a winning season or making the playoffs is success, never mind not being able to win a game and advance. It is a completely different mindset.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 11:10 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals have all of that -- with an offensive line that couldn't block a thermal neutron.  Mike Munchak is a former head coach who coaches the Pittsburgh offensive line. Paul Alexander plays the piano.  He's okay at it unless he has to play in the key of C or G. Then everything sounds flat and slow.

We've had top 10 and maybe even Top 5 offensive lines some years...and still didn't win playoff games...because of flaws at other spots.

Overall, from 1 to 22 the Steelers had players at the Top of their position group...but they also don't have a lot of starters that aren't good.

The Bengals typically always have 2,3,4 holes in starting spots. (This year Center, RT, maybe LB/DT/S). ie Fatal flaws. This years fatal flaw just happened to be the offensive line. Some years we can't stop the run. Some years we can't cover TE's. It's always something.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 10:30 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Ownership

(01-09-2017, 12:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The difference?

1. Accountability
2. Tomlin > Marvin Lewis

This. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The diffrence is they play to win .We play to make money for mike brown .and its working so why would he change.They also have the added benifit of having the biggest bandwagon in sports history.It is said they travel well,they dont they just have fans who have jumped on at one sb win or another and they are everywhere.Its a shame too,downtown pittsburgh is gorgeous.had a blast whwn i was working there.good food good women .mentally ******** fans with little knowledge of the game.only nfl game ive ever been thrown out of .im trespassed from heintz field as of 2014
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If you were an owner and you had to to start a team from scratch, which QB would you take, both in their prime? Dalton or Ben? 

If you had to start one of those guys in a playoff game tomorrow, who would you take? Dalton or Ben? 

Thats what I thought. 

Another what if????  Reality is Ben was already gone in 2011. How many teams do NOT suffer, but time, when their starting QB goes down outside of the Pats.

Same excuse being used since 2011 is getting old Weezy.

How many QBs from 1968 to 2011 won the last game of the playoffs for the Bengals? (That's the only win that matters, right?)

That' what I thought!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 09:46 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Pay attention!  I answered that with the 11-5 Matt Cassell season.  The one thing I DO agree with what Marvin has said, is that unless you win the last playoff game, it doesn't matter which one you lose before that, provided you have 'make' the playoffs, to being with, to have a 'chance' to win the last game.

You weren't standing up for Fat Boy with your original post, you were bashing Dalton.

Well guess what genius, the Bengals couldn't win their last playoff game with Kenny Anderson or Boomer Boy either!  They couldn't get it done since they birthed in 1968 and the Browns still have 8 more championships then they do!!!

So the next time someone makes fun of the Browns or their fans, just keep in mind they have 8 more than the Bengals do!!!  Wink

When a browns fan says that to me,i respond with..the cleveland browns franchise started in 1999.your championship trophies sit in baltimore
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 12:26 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Another what if????  Reality is Ben was already gone in 2011. How many teams do NOT suffer, but time, when their starting QB goes down outside of the Pats.

Same excuse being used since 2011 is getting old Weezy.

How many QBs from 1968 to 2011 won the last game of the playoffs for the Bengals? (That's the only win that matters, right?)

That' what I thought!

Roethlisberger isn't really that good in the playoffs. That's another myth. In 18 career playoff games, his passer rating is 85.0.

His team is 12-6 though. His passer rating was over 90 in 9 of the 18 games...so sometimes he's good. Sometimes he's bad.

Dalton just loses it and is terrible in the playoffs. His career playoff passer rating in 4 playoff games ins 57.8. 67 is his highest rating for any playoff game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00/gamelog/post/
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:33 AM)corpjet Wrote: the answer is simple....one person and one person only the Rapist Ben Roethlisberger

Look at how that team struggles when he doesn't play, they can't win

put him in and everything changes

they've been fortunate to have this guy and he alone is the single reason why they have been so successful
He's a big chunk of it, but Ben's teammates have included Bettis, Holmes, Burress, Ward, Bell, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Deangelo Williams, Willie Parker, Decastro, Pouncy, and numerous great defensive players. It can't be denied that they suck without him, but as was pointed out they've been pretty damn successful for 30 years with guys like Malone, Brister, Tommy Maddox, Neil O'Donnell, Kordell at QB too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:20 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Exactly.

People can talk about the organization and how its full of "winners" and blah blah blah all day, but it comes down to the talent on the field. 

The Steelers just have better players right now than the Bengals. Its that simple. 

This explanation would work if the Steelers being more successful than the Bengals were just a recent thing. Guess they've always "just had better players".

(01-09-2017, 10:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If you were
an owner and you had to to start a team from scratch, which QB would you take, both in their prime? Dalton or Ben? 

If you had to start one of those guys in a playoff game tomorrow, who would you take? Dalton or Ben? 

Thats what I thought. 

Ben of course. What's the point? First off, Ben is a HOF QB, so he's better than almost everyone. Good luck finding another guy like him. Second, the biggest difference between the Bengals and Steelers right now is not Ben > Andy. It's that their ownership has more championships than our ownership has playoff wins. It's that their coach won a title in year 2 while our coach doesn't have a playoff win headed into year 15. It's that they drafted Bell after we drafted Gio (Ben was 8-8 twice in a row before Bell). It's that they hire a proven OC who had been to a SB as an OC, while we promote some lifer QB coach that no one had showed interest in for 14 years (including us).

Btw, to those saying the Steelers stink without Ben, they're actually 14-11 without him. Landry only threw for 277 and 3 TDs in his last start. Not saying Ben doesn't clearly make them better. Just saying they don't exactly fall apart, either.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 05:36 PM)jason Wrote: They have magical towels.

The Golden Shit Ticket.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 12:27 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: When a browns fan says that to me,i respond with..the cleveland browns franchise started in 1999.your championship trophies sit in baltimore

That might be a nice 'comeback' for the Browns fans, but you can search Baltimore all you want and you won't find a single trophy.
Reply/Quote
We do have much better fans though. You should hear Greiver talk how the Dupree hit on Moore was not dirty.

Also they defend Joey Porter. Damn these people are scum.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 03:08 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: That might be a nice 'comeback' for the Browns fans, but you can search Baltimore all you want and you won't find a single trophy.
There are at least 2 of them... I'm pretty sure the Orioles won one when I was a kid too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 03:10 PM)jason Wrote: There are at least 2 of them... I'm pretty sure the Orioles won one when I was a kid too.

He was talking about the 8 that say NFL Champions Cleveland Browns.

(Read the whole posts jason)  Wink
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 12:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've had top 10 and maybe even Top 5 offensive lines some years...and still didn't win playoff games...because of flaws at other spots.

Overall, from 1 to 22 the Steelers had players at the Top of their position group...but they also don't have a lot of starters that aren't good.

The Bengals typically always have 2,3,4 holes in starting spots. (This year Center, RT, maybe LB/DT/S). ie Fatal flaws. This years fatal flaw just happened to be the offensive line. Some years we can't stop the run. Some years we can't cover TE's. It's always something.

They got exposed for being overrated this season, IMO.  When you look at the run numbers, we're typically around the 20s.  Since Palmer left, they have been giving up fewer sacks, and everyone said they were great as a result of it.  Palmer was woefully immobile before he got hurt, worse afterward.  Piano Man has been over his head for a while now......and every time he hand picks a player or stands behind one (Livings, Bodine), they're turds.

Reply/Quote
I thought the title of this thread was a rhetorical question. Surprised people are actually answering with the obvious answers.

Our Oline was always dominant against lesser opponents (non winning records etc), but they've always been put in their place in primetime games, playoffs and against teams with winning records. This idea they've been good before is false.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This explanation would work if the Steelers being more successful than the Bengals were just a recent thing. Guess they've always "just had better players".

Ben of course. What's the point? First off, Ben is a HOF QB, so he's better than almost everyone. Good luck finding another guy like him. Second, the biggest difference between the Bengals and Steelers right now is not Ben > Andy. It's that their ownership has more championships than our ownership has playoff wins. It's that their coach won a title in year 2 while our coach doesn't have a playoff win headed into year 15. It's that they drafted Bell after we drafted Gio (Ben was 8-8 twice in a row before Bell). It's that they hire a proven OC who had been to a SB as an OC, while we promote some lifer QB coach that no one had showed interest in for 14 years (including us).

Btw, to those saying the Steelers stink without Ben, they're actually 14-11 without him. Landry only threw for 277 and 3 TDs in his last start. Not saying Ben doesn't clearly make them better. Just saying they don't exactly fall apart, either.

He did that against the Browns. The worst defense in the NFL and he had the benefit of overtime to help those stats.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pretty simple. They just have more talent than us.

Bell > Hill
Ben > Andy

Their defense > our defense.

Not really that complicated.

Yup & also:

their o-line > B o-line
their coaches > B coaches

Basically they are just an overall better organization that knows how to win and what it takes to win. They have smarter people in place making decisions from the "gm" to the coaching. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 04:26 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He did that against the Browns. The worst defense in the NFL and he had the benefit of overtime to help those stats.

They've still won some games with Jones though, and he is a steaming pile of dog shit at QB.

Reply/Quote
The Steelers have coaches and a QB who constantly win big games.
The Bengals have a head coach and a QB who never win big games.
Reply/Quote