Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trade talks with Falcons?
I just saw this posted, and found it to be quite interesting. We have speculated, and kicked around the idea of the Bengals making a trade, but I don't think any of us had Giovanni Bernard tagged as trade leverage.

In the event that it's a player for player trade, who do you want from the Falcons in exchange for Gio?

https://www.nflchatter.com/2019/07/21/falcons-in-trade-talks-with-the-bengals/?fbclid=IwAR35Qxw1R3InmtKpzLlsyPnniCOL0jSEgUTSMAwU1v2YyIJmUS0A7_4vTCE

Quote:The Falcons lost Tevin Coleman to free agency. With that departure, the offense is missing the production of a back who had 167 rushing attempts and 44 targets while totaling nine touchdowns.

Devonta Freeman signed a five-year contract in August 2017, so Coleman was always going to be the odd man out, but the injury-prone Freeman only registered two game last season.

The Bengals added two running backs in the draft’s sixth round. Texas A&M’s Trayveon Williams ran for 1,760 yards and 18 touchdowns last year and could play a role as a rookie. Ditto for Oklahoma’s Heisman Trophy contender Rodney Anderson who went off for 1,442 yards and 18 scores from scrimmage in 2017 before tearing his ACL in 2018.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Do they have lineman or LBs that can improve our roster?

The article basically talks about a desire for Gio from the Falcons... doesn't seem to give any insight in any interest in the other direction.
Reply/Quote
I would be ok with it as long as it’s an immediate impact. But if all we walk away with is cash and a draft pick, then I don’t want to trade Gio.

Reply/Quote
Here is a link to Atlanta's current depth chart.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/ATL

Quote:Pos No. Player 1 No Player 2 No Player 3 No Player 4 No Player 5
OFFENSE
LWR 11 JONES, JULIO 11/1 14 Hardy, Justin 15/4 13 Blake, Christian CF18 43 Green, Marcus 19/6 16 Bane, Shawn CF19
LWR 7 Worton, CJ CF19
RWR 12 Sanu, Mohamed U/Cin 18 Ridley, Calvin 18/1 83 Gage, Russell 18/6 15 Gray, Devin CF18 19 Lewis, Kahlil CF19
RWR 17 Zaccheaus, Olamide CF19
LT 70 Matthews, Jake 14/1 74 Sambrailo, Ty T/Den 69 Bonner, Lanard CF19 65 Robinson, Jaelin CF19
LG 77 CARPENTER, JAMES U/NYJ 64 Harlow, Sean 17/4 72 GETTIS, ADAM SF19
C 51 MACK, ALEX U/Cle 71 Schweitzer, Wes 16/6 61 Miller, Chandler CF19
RG 63 Lindstrom, Chris 19/1 68 Brown, Jamon U/NYG
RT 76 McGary, Kaleb 19/1 73 Gono, Matt CF18 73 Wetzel, John SF19 67 Joseph, Dieugot SF19
TE 81 Hooper, Austin 16/3 80 STOCKER, LUKE U/Ten 85 Saubert, Eric 17/5 87 Graham, Jaeden CF18 89 Gray, Alex SF17
TE 82 PAULSEN, LOGAN U/SF
QB 2 RYAN, MATT 08/1 8 SCHAUB, MATT U/Bal 6 Benkert, Kurt CF18
RB 24 Freeman, Devonta 14/4 25 Smith, Ito 18/4 38 BARNER, KENJON U/Car 32 Ollison, Qadree 19/5 23 Hill, Brian 17/5
RB 46 Brooks-James, Tony CF19
FB 30 Ortiz, Ricky SF18
DEFENSE
LDE 44 Beasley, Vic 15/1 99 CLAYBORN, ADRIAN CC/NE 50 Cominsky, John 19/4 79 Tuioti-Mariner, Jacob CF18
DT 94 Senat, Deadrin 18/3 92 Zimmer, Justin SF18 96 Davison, Tyeler U/NO 90 Hageman, Ra'Shede SF19
DT 97 Jarrett, Grady 15/5 95 CRAWFORD, JACK U/Dal 93 Bennett, Mike SF18
RDE 98 McKinley, Takkarist 17/1 91 Odom, Chris CF17 62 Larkin, Austin SF19
SLB 59 Campbell, De'Vondre 16/4 54 Oluokun, Foyesade 18/6 53 Grace, Jermaine CF17 48 Miles, Durrant CF19
MLB 45 Jones, Deion 16/2 55 CARTER, BRUCE SF18 49 Crawford, Tre` CF19 46 Phillips, Del'Shawn CF19
WLB 54 Oluokun, Foyesade 18/6 42 Riley, Duke 17/3 36 Ishmael, Kemal 13/7 52 Bethune, Yurik CF19
LCB 21 Trufant, Desmond 13/1 20 Sheffield, Kendall 19/4 39 Calhoun, Taveze SF18 32 Causey, Rashard CF19
SS 22 Neal, Keanu 16/1 40 Neal, Ryan CF18 23 Stanley, Jayson CF19 00 Thompson, Jason SF19
FS 37 Allen, Ricardo 14/5 27 Kazee, Damontae 17/5 29 WILCOX, JJ U/Ind 41 Neasman, Sharrod CF16 34 Cooper, Chris SF19
RCB 26 Oliver, Isaiah 18/2 33 Wreh-Wilson, Blidi SF16 28 Miller, Jordan 19/5 43 Baldwin, Parker CF19
SPECIAL TEAMS
P 5 BOSHER, MATT 11/6
PK 4 Tavecchio, Giorgio SF18
LS 47 HARRIS, JOSH CF12 48 Vasey, Kyle CF19
H 5 BOSHER, MATT 11/6
KO 5 BOSHER, MATT 11/6
PR 14 Hardy, Justin 15/4
KR 14 Hardy, Justin 15/4 18 Ridley, Calvin 18/1
RESERVES
RES 56 Means, Steven IR

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Doubt it; Hobson was hinting at an extension for Bernard.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 11:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just saw this posted, and found it to be quite interesting.  We have speculated, and kicked around the idea of the Bengals making a trade, but I don't think any of us had Giovanni Bernard tagged as trade leverage.

In the event that it's a player for player trade, who do you want from the Falcons in exchange for Gio?

https://www.nflchatter.com/2019/07/21/falcons-in-trade-talks-with-the-bengals/?fbclid=IwAR35Qxw1R3InmtKpzLlsyPnniCOL0jSEgUTSMAwU1v2YyIJmUS0A7_4vTCE
To me,being a 50 year fan,the way this works for us,we would have to get a top notch starting offensive lineman and a quality backup from them as Gio is a starter anywhere in the nfl.Now with that being said, what we need for sure is offensive linemen and good ones,we do not need a future draft pick or cash,we need linemen and or a top linebacker and I mean a top one.When you start talking about a trade for a top running back and he is,and I do not want to see him go,UNLESS it is a super deal for us.Hopefully ZT sees someone on their team that fits us,and we shall see,but I do believe we are in the mix for SOMEONE that can help us NOW.We have really solid running backs just waiting to play,like the ANDERSON man.He is the real deal and Joe Mixon loves this guy,and I believe he will return to form given the chance. Its going to be interesting. :andy: ThumbsUp I think something will happen in next week,as ZT wants who ever it is here NOW. 
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 12:34 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Doubt it; Hobson was hinting at an extension for Bernard.

Does anyone on here know if they contacted us or did we contact them ??? And why the Falcons?
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 12:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would be ok with it as long as it’s an immediate impact. But if all we walk away with is cash and a draft pick, then I don’t want to trade Gio.

Well said Harley!!!!!! :andy:
Reply/Quote
Gio is a keeper, the Falcons can scoop any rookie they want from our Practice Squad.
Reply/Quote
Please no, don’t wanna lose Gio
Reply/Quote
I like Gio, but we have depth at RB. As much as i would hate to see him go, it makes sense. However, Falcons OL was nothing special last year so not sure how trading for a OL guy would help except getting depth.

Reply/Quote
Jake Matthews?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 01:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I like Gio, but we have depth at RB. As much as i would hate to see him go, it makes sense. However, Falcons OL was nothing special last year so not sure how trading for a OL guy would help except getting depth.

Without Gio, we have no reliable depth, just freshly acquired rookies. Watson was the supposed, planned depth that never worked out. Nervous
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 01:25 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Without Gio, we have no reliable depth, just freshly acquired rookies. Watson was the supposed, planned depth that never worked out. Nervous

Meh, IDK? I see your point but I think they will be fine.  We can complain about the OL, LB's etc. However, if your not willing to do anything about it then whats the point in complaining? Like I said, I like Gio and he's been one of my favorites on the team. But if trading him increases your chances of winning, then why not? Having favorites and coveting them has been this teams demise for years. I say we make moves to win and improve this team now. Of course to be realistic, we are not going to get much for Gio. It's not like he's getting 1000yds per year. He's a solid backup RB, but that's all he's gonna be.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 11:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just saw this posted, and found it to be quite interesting.  We have speculated, and kicked around the idea of the Bengals making a trade, but I don't think any of us had Giovanni Bernard tagged as trade leverage.

My guess is that it would be Ty Sambrailo .  He's a swing T that can also play either G spot.  He's only 27 and still has 3 years left on his deal, so he's more than just a rental.  He started 4 games at RT last year and didn't allow a sack.  He could compete with Hart at RT or possibly the LG spot if nobody runs away with it.  Worst case, he's a quality backup.

Losing Gio would suck, as he's a good player and a great guy, but he's in a contract year and we also have a lot of our young core guys coming up.  He's also hitting that age where RB's hit the wall.  
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 12:45 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Does anyone on here know if they contacted us or did we contact them ??? And why the Falcons?

The Falcons contacted us about him, apparently.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 12:43 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: To me,being a 50 year fan,the way this works for us,we would have to get a top notch starting offensive lineman and a quality backup from them as Gio is a starter anywhere in the nw fl. Now with that being said, what we need for sure is offensive linemen and good ones,we do not need a future draft pick or cash,we need linemen and or a top linebacker and I mean a top one.When you start talking about a trade for a top running back and he is,and I do not want to see him go,UNLESS it is a super deal for us.Hopefully ZT sees someone on their team that fits us,and we shall see,but I do believe we are in the mix for SOMEONE that can help us NOW.We have really solid running backs just waiting to play,like the ANDERSON man.He is the real deal and Joe Mixon loves this guy,and I believe he will return to form given the chance. Its going to be interesting. :andy: ThumbsUp I think something will happen in next week,as ZT wants who ever it is here NOW. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that bolded part.  Gio has been forced into a RB1 situation a few times, over the years.  Every time he's asked to carry the load, he get's dinged up, as his body cannot take the pounding of being a 3 down back.  He is fantastic at what he is;  A 3rd down, change of pace back that is also a dynamic receiver.

As far as a player for player scenario, I think that seeing how the Falcon's lost their RB2, Telvin Campbell to injury, they are the team in need and obviously have to be the one's approaching the Bengals.  That would lead me to think that the leverage is in the Bengals court.  This might be a good time for the Bengals to find that 3rd starter capable Tackle, or to pick up another proven LB to complete that position group restructuring.

Now, we all know that player for player trades are rare these days.  So, for the Bengals it could be a chance to clear 4.5M in cap space, by getting something in return for Gio Bernard, as he will be UFA at the end of the season.  So, maybe clear cap and gain draft capitol for next year?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 01:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Meh, IDK? I see your point but I think they will be fine.  We can complain about the OL, LB's etc. However, if your not willing to do anything about it then whats the point in complaining? Like I said, I like Gio and he's been one of my favorites on the team. But if trading him increases your chances of winning, then why not? Having favorites and coveting them has been this teams demise for years. I say we make moves to win and improve this team now. Of course to be realistic, we are not going to get much for Gio. It's not like he's getting 1000yds per year. He's a solid backup RB, but that's all he's gonna be.

This is where I am on the situation, as well.  Seems like drafting the two backs that they did this season kind of spelled the end of Gio, after this season, anyway.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 01:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Meh, IDK? I see your point but I think they will be fine.  We can complain about the OL, LB's etc. However, if your not willing to do anything about it then whats the point in complaining? Like I said, I like Gio and he's been one of my favorites on the team. But if trading him increases your chances of winning, then why not? Having favorites and coveting them has been this teams demise for years. I say we make moves to win and improve this team now. Of course to be realistic, we are not going to get much for Gio. It's not like he's getting 1000yds per year. He's a solid backup RB, but that's all he's gonna be.

This is right, you have to give to get.  You may lose Gio in a year, so gambling on the backup runners vs the current backup OTs is the perspective.  

The Falcons aren't a good fit unless it's for a pick and you deal a pick for OL.  Something like a Falcons 4th for Gio and then dealing their own 5th to the Cowboys for backup OT Cam Flemming.  Dallas can move Conner Williams outside in case of injury...we start talking about the draft of one of out tackles are hurt.  
Reply/Quote
Why they need Gio? They already have former Bengal great Brian Hill.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote