Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump breaks tradition, doesn't recognize LGBT Pride Month
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/340344-trump-breaks-tradition-doesnt-recognize-lgbt-pride-month

Quote:President Trump’s White House broke with the tradition of officially recognizing June as LGBT Pride Month.
While other members of Trump’s administration, including Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, issued statements marking the month, Trump’s White House never officially acknowledged it.

Former President Bill Clinton was the first to declare June as LGBT Pride month, but the tradition didn’t continue under former President George W. Bush. The White House began recognizing the month again during former President Barack Obama’s administration.

The absence is surprising in part because of Trump's apparent support for some gay rights on the campaign trail. Last October, he posed with a rainbow flag in Colorado. In July, he promised a mostly conservative crowd that "I will do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from the violence and oppression of the hateful, foreign ideology, believe me."

First daughter Ivanka Trump tweeted recognition of the month. "This month we celebrate and honor the #LGBTQ community," she wrote on June 1.

"In recognition of LGBTI Month, the Department of State affirms its solidarity with the human rights defenders and civil society organizations working around the world to uphold the fundamental freedoms of LGBTI persons to live with dignity and freedom," Tillerson also said in a statement.

Last week, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) introduced a Senate resolution to formally recognize June as LGBT Pride month, responding to the White House's declining to do so.

“This year, the White House broke with an 8 year tradition and did not issue a presidential proclamation acknowledging June as Pride Month,” he wrote on Twitter. “So I'm proud to lead the first-ever Senate Resolution recognizing June as LGBTQ Pride Month.”

Brown was joined by 23 other senators in sponsoring the resolution.

The White House DID, however, acknowledge many other things...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/07/03/president-trumps-pride-month-adam-chandler-column/442577001/

Quote:When May turned to June this year, the White House issued a flurry of proclamations recognizing June’s many identities: everything from National Homeownership Month to African-American Music Appreciation Month to Great Outdoors Month. For the first time since President Obama took office, Pride Month did not make the cu
t. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
If we are all created equal, why should he? Then he would have to recognize everyone, right? Not a big deal.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-03-2017, 11:32 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If we are all created equal, why should he? Then he would have to recognize everyone, right? Not a big deal.

Mellow

Quote:When May turned to June this year, the White House issued a flurry of proclamations recognizing June’s many identities: everything from [/url][url=https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/05/31/president-donald-j-trump-proclaims-june-2017-national-homeownership]National Homeownership Month to African-American Music Appreciation Month to Great Outdoors Month.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-03-2017, 11:32 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If we are all created equal, why should he? Then he would have to recognize everyone, right? Not a big deal.

maybe when we stop treating them as 2nd class citizens...
People suck
(07-03-2017, 11:50 AM)Griever Wrote: maybe when we stop treating them as 2nd class citizens...

You say "we" which includes me. I don't, so that burden falls on your shoulders. If you treat them like 2nd class citizens then do something about it and stop relying on a president to do it for you. MAGA!

(07-03-2017, 11:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Give him a chance!
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Trump looks like a lesbian, though. Oh wait, I shouldn't body-shame the world's biggest snowflake. How bad of me.
(07-03-2017, 05:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You say "we" which includes me. I don't, so that burden falls on your shoulders. If you treat them like 2nd class citizens then do something about it and stop relying on a president to do it for you. MAGA!

He can't enforce anti-discrimination laws. We all rely on the President for that. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I have no problem with holidays and such, but really all these months are pretty ridiculous.

I have no problem with gay marriage. They get to be wift someone they love, it doesn't effect me in any way, so more power to them. That said, I dislike the apparent overwhelming need to rub it in people's faces. I don't march down the street chanting how much I love putting my penis in a vagina and how I think being straight is pretty great, why can't the courtesy be mutual?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(07-03-2017, 11:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I have no problem with holidays and such, but really all these months are pretty ridiculous.

I have no problem with gay marriage. They get to be wift someone they love, it doesn't effect me in any way, so more power to them. That said, I dislike the apparent overwhelming need to rub it in people's faces. I don't march down the street chanting how much I love putting my penis in a vagina and how I think being straight is pretty great, why can't the courtesy be mutual?

Yep, exactly! Most are too busy working and paying taxes to meddle in most people's business. We care about keeping the lights on and putting food on the table for those around us. I don't care who's poking who? Just don't make it my agenda that I have to care about this shit. If your gay? Be gay! Nobody gives a damn!

(07-03-2017, 11:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I have no problem with holidays and such, but really all these months are pretty ridiculous.

(07-03-2017, 11:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep, exactly! Most are too busy working and paying taxes to meddle in most people's business. We care about keeping the lights on and putting food on the table for those around us. I don't care who's poking who? Just don't make it my agenda that I have to care about this shit. If your gay? Be gay! Nobody gives a damn!

Eh I think part of the issue is, legally, homosexual relations are still illegal in many states. While you may not give a dam, it can still be punishable under law by years in jail or thousands in fines.

(07-03-2017, 11:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep, exactly! Most are too busy working and paying taxes to meddle in most people's business. We care about keeping the lights on and putting food on the table for those around us. I don't care who's poking who? Just don't make it my agenda that I have to care about this shit. If your gay? Be gay! Nobody gives a damn!

(07-04-2017, 12:59 AM)Benton Wrote: Eh I think part of the issue is, legally, homosexual relations are still illegal in many states. While you may not give a dam, it can still be punishable under law by years in jail or thousands in fines.

While what Benton said is a part of it, looking at the situation as a whole is important. The number of proclaimed months and days coming out of our federal government is sizeable, sure, but this is something done for minority groups in this country to recognize the contributions they make and that they are pat of the community. This happens because there is a history throughout all of humanity, not just our country, to treat minority groups poorly. When you have a group that has a history of being marginalized it is important to let them know that we do not intend to do that any longer.

Now, can you all imagine the uproar had Trump not made the proclamation for Older Americans Month, or Small Business Week? The AARP and the Chamber of Commerce would have raised Cain. I just have to ask that those dismissing the months for racial or sexual minorities do some internal reflection and think about whether your reaction would have been the exact same were it to come to those. You don't have to respond to defend yourself or anything, I'm not going to get into a flame war about it, but for the vast majority of people the answer would be no if they were being completely honest with themselves.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-03-2017, 11:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/340344-trump-breaks-tradition-doesnt-recognize-lgbt-pride-month

The White House DID, however, acknowledge many other things...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/07/03/president-trumps-pride-month-adam-chandler-column/442577001/

t. 

Queen Donald used the key phrase, "believe me," when endorsing the human rights of the LGBTQ community. As you well know, Trump is a pathological liar and most assume everything he says is a lie. But the code phrase, "believe me," is the signal to one and all to be absolutely certain that he is definitely lying when he begins or ends a proclamation with said phrase. Watch for it. It is as reliable as the sunrise and the sunset.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Three cheers for creation. When we are all treated equal then we can stop focusing on contemporary injustices and the historical ones that underwrite them.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(07-03-2017, 05:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You say "we" which includes me. I don't, so that burden falls on your shoulders. If you treat them like 2nd class citizens then do something about it and stop relying on a president to do it for you. MAGA!

I think you meant MAHA. Make America Homophobic Again.

I know you will never surrender. You'll be out there on your island treating the gays like the cat's pajamas, giving the bird to all the ***** haters, and we'll be with you in spirit even as we swim in a world of brutal assaults on the bodies and dignity of our fellow men and women.

Ever tried putting it somewhere else? You might find you like it so much you are leading the parade next year.

Seriously though, when you've spent decades living in fear because the culture you live in would abuse or possibly kill you simply because you dared to acknowledge your preference for something then you might have an inkling of why they want to "rub it in people's faces." And if you don't want it rubbed in your face, it is pretty simple. Avert your eyes.

There are historical parallels, btw, that have (allegedly) nothing to do with sex. Ever heard the stories about the early Christians and how they were persecuted? Theirs was an underground religion and they had secret signs they would draw in the dirt to acknowledge each other.... Then attitudes shifted and suddenly, Jesus was all the rage and Christian churches popped up like Walgreens, McDonalds, WalMarts, and Chipotles in a contemporary urban American landscape. Yet, almost miraculously, from those early days when Christianity emerged from the shadows right up until today no Christian ever felt the need to rub it in people's faces. They never proselytized or wore crosses or put Jesus fishes or bumper stickers on their cars or preached on street corners... no sir!
My 18 year old daughter came out to us last year...even though by then I had already known for quite some time. My response to her was "That's cool, I like girls too." Then I gave her 1 piece of advice...I told her if she ever marries, to make sure that she's the partner that wears the tux. She asked me why, and I told her "because the bride's parents are the ones who have to pay for the wedding".

My daughter's school decided it needed an LBGTQ safe space. My daughter said she thought safe spaces were stupid. I asked her if she felt she would use the safe space and she told me that nobody at her school cared that she was gay, so the safe space wasn't necessary. She also told me she didn't need a month to celebrate her sexuality. All her friends and acquaintances know her preference, and it's not an issue.

I am proud of her and love her. I don't care who she wants to sleep with as long as she is happy and healthy.

I had a co-worker who shared this sentiment and I asked him if he thought the fact that his facebook having a bunch of pictures of him kissing/marrying his wife and the two of them with their daughter was designed to rub his heterosexuality in people's faces.  We are a country where we love to wear our allegiances on our shirts and broadcast our lives and preferences for all to see.

Then again, lots of people aren't too comfortable with seeing two straight people show public signs of affection either.  Our culture is way outta whack when it comes to sexuality.  Perhaps we just view it as a giant marketing ploy, or something.
(07-04-2017, 10:19 AM)Beaker Wrote: My 18 year old daughter came out to us last year...even though by then I had already known for quite some time. My response to her was "That's cool, I like girls too." Then I gave her 1 piece of advice...I told her if she ever marries, to make sure that she's the partner that wears the tux. She asked me why, and I told her "because the bride's parents are the ones who have to pay for the wedding".

My daughter's school decided it needed an LBGTQ safe space. My daughter said she thought safe spaces were stupid. I asked her if she felt she would use the safe space and she told me that nobody at her school cared that she was gay, so the safe space wasn't necessary. She also told me she didn't need a month to celebrate her sexuality. All her friends and acquaintances know her preference, and it's not an issue.

I am proud of her and love her. I don't care who she wants to sleep with as long as she is happy and healthy.

Congratulations on not being a douche when your daughter came out, aka being a good parent. And good for her that she and her peers are so comfortable. I'm sure you are quite aware, but not all children have similar support from friends and family, and not all schools are so safe. In her school which she perceives as quite safe other kids may not see it that way, and designating a safe space may be less about sending a message to the students and more about sending a message to the staff and/or parents who may not treat your daughter with the good will you and her peers do. Like I said, I'm sure you know all that, but sometimes people not so well informed pass through by reading they learn something.
(07-04-2017, 11:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I had a co-worker who shared this sentiment and I asked him if he thought the fact that his facebook having a bunch of pictures of him kissing/marrying his wife and the two of them with their daughter was designed to rub his heterosexuality in people's faces.  We are a country where we love to wear our allegiances on our shirts and broadcast our lives and preferences for all to see.

Then again, lots of people aren't too comfortable with seeing two straight people show public signs of affection either.  Our culture is way outta whack when it comes to sexuality.  Perhaps we just view it as a giant marketing ploy, or something.

Nailed it! It isn't about who you love, it is about loving the products that the "invisible hand" is jerking you off and picking your pocket with!