Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tua's agent: "I hoping Cincy falls in love with Joe Burrow."
Leigh Steinberg kind of walks back his statement

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 09:14 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Tua would make a decent 2nd or 3rd string QB down the line - should he get drafted.

Everyone loves a hot take, but c’mon man. Tua has a 1st round pedigree. His talent is unquestioned, just his ability to hold up.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 05:00 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I guess I see the flip side of things in this. 

If you have a player you represent, their first contract is set by the CBA. What you are counting on is them having success and making a huge payday on their second contract.

Since the 90s the narrative has remained the same here, if you are wanting your guy to get to the playoffs and build a brand then you want him on a team that will try to win and that just isn't here.

Let's be honest, if any poster on this board was Joe Burrow or Tua or Herbert's Dad, would you actually be excited for them to go to Cincy with Mike Brown and his dark age methods of running a franchise? 

It is an NFL team, should be excited no matter where you go and should be excited for your son no matter where he goes.

Especially as a 1st overall pick.

Last time I noticed, Mike Brown wasn't coaching or playing in games.
Reply/Quote
Tua is always injured. DO NOT WANT HIM.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 05:00 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I guess I see the flip side of things in this. 

If you have a player you represent, their first contract is set by the CBA. What you are counting on is them having success and making a huge payday on their second contract.

Since the 90s the narrative has remained the same here, if you are wanting your guy to get to the playoffs and build a brand then you want him on a team that will try to win and that just isn't here.

Let's be honest, if any poster on this board was Joe Burrow or Tua or Herbert's Dad, would you actually be excited for them to go to Cincy with Mike Brown and his dark age methods of running a franchise? 
Well, yeah.

Mike Brown has been heinously loyal to his quarterbacks. Both the last two have had stays that, at times, weren't a reflection of what they provided to the team but instead a sign of browns loyalty to players loyal to him.

And for any player going in the top 10, you're most likely going to a bad team. Sure, there's some fluke years where a consistently good org like the pats or Steelers or Ravens pick top 10, but more often than not you end up going to someplace like Miami or the Browns where the world can flip from August to October. 

If you're burrow or herbert or tuas dad, you're thankful a semi stable organization like the Bengals are there instead of someone like the browns. At least here, the guy will get a couple seasons to show he can lead a team, which is 100 times better than rookie ping pong where a team can't decide if it wants to play this year's first rounder, some guy they traded for or the first rounder from two years ago.

Burrow (or whoever) will likely get two seasons to prove himself. If he does and doesnt like the org, he has the freedom to move on in a few years. That beats getting drafted by the browns and benched into obscurity after four games.
Reply/Quote
Tua's agent also stated he hopes Tua doesn't have to start this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/31/tua-tagovailoas-agent-hopes-he-doesnt-have-to-start-this-year/

Quote:“It takes the right personality in the existing quarterback to bring along the next young quarterback, but if you look at Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, none of them started the first year and my wish for Tua would be that he would go to a team that would give him a year to learn the system and do everything before the pressure of being a starting quarterback was upon him.”

That combined with Tua's significant injury history, I'm not sure his agent is doing Tua any favors selling him on being the next great QB worthy of an early first round pick.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Tua should probably make sure he can play football again before he starts talking shit about potential employers. I hate the way this team operates as much as anyone, but Tua isn't really in a position to look down his nose at someone that's ready to invest in him.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Last time I noticed, Mike Brown wasn't coaching or playing in games.

He's the owner and he's been the GM for almost three decades.  It's impossible to understate his long-term effect upon this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is an NFL team, should be excited no matter where you go and should be excited for your son no matter where he goes.

Especially as a 1st overall pick.

Last time I noticed, Mike Brown wasn't coaching or playing in games.

WhoDey2You hit the nail right on the head!! Said it before I could.

If I had a son who did everything that it takes to get a college scholarship, and then was one of the top 3% of college players to make it to the NFL. I'd cry tears of joy if he was Mr. Irrelevant...  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
This place is getting depressing with all the Mike Brown hate and QB talk think its time to take a break until draft day. Unless there is any good news before then see ya.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 01:01 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Love reading stuff like this.  I hope mike brown knows how agents and players feel about playing here and maybe juuuuuust maybe mike brown will allow himself to be humbled and make some changes to his unsuccessful approach over and over again.

We had guys not wanting to play for us in the 90s (Tyrone Wheatley comes to mind) and Mike didn't change then. 

He's hopelessly stubborn.

(01-31-2020, 10:52 AM)jj22 Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/01/31/carson-palmer-warns-joe-burrow-bengals-never-tried-win-super-bowl/2862096001/

I guess a perfect way for CP to seek revenge is to be in Burrow's ear and mess that up for us. 

I wouldn't doubt it if McCarron is in Tua's ear about the Bengals as well. AJM hated the Bengals at the end.

(01-31-2020, 11:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We shouldn't need a HoF QB to win a playoff game when guys like Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bottles, TJ Yates, and Carson Palmer made it further in a single shot than we did in 5 in a row.

Getting 0 playoff wins out of our last 15+ years of decent QB play looks like a screwed sort of situation, yes.

Yep. We all know it, we all say it, then when someone else says it, we get mad.

(02-01-2020, 08:23 PM)Benton Wrote: Well, yeah.

Mike Brown has been heinously loyal to his quarterbacks. Both the last two have had stays that, at times, weren't a reflection of what they provided to the team but instead a sign of browns loyalty to players loyal to him.

And for any player going in the top 10, you're most likely going to a bad team. Sure, there's some fluke years where a consistently good org like the pats or Steelers or Ravens pick top 10, but more often than not you end up going to someplace like Miami or the Browns where the world can flip from August to October. 

If you're burrow or herbert or tuas dad, you're thankful a semi stable organization like the Bengals are there instead of someone like the browns. At least here, the guy will get a couple seasons to show he can lead a team, which is 100 times better than rookie ping pong where a team can't decide if it wants to play this year's first rounder, some guy they traded for or the first rounder from two years ago.

Burrow (or whoever) will likely get two seasons to prove himself. If he does and doesnt like the org, he has the freedom to move on in a few years. That beats getting drafted by the browns and benched into obscurity after four games.

I'd say those QB's performance at the end was more indicative of the teams around them than those QB's just falling off, and that's why people question Mike's loyalty to winning. We found solid/good QB's, drafted a few gems, then Mike grew content rather than striking while the iron was hot. When we had good teams in 2005 and 2011-2015, did Mike ever once pull out the wallet in free agency?

I'd say the Browns are really the only team on a similar level as far as bad destinations go, and with them it's more about dysfunction. With us, it's a clear lack of commitment to winning from the front office. The Browns will spend money and make moves...they just don't know what they're doing. The Bengals have an owner who won't spend. Not just on free agency, but also on scouts or a practice facility.

It's a cut rate organization that is also fairly inept themselves (think Mike Brown wanting a d-lineman to fill in at TE) and sometimes that "loyalty" backfires. We're stable, but often stable in mediocrity. We're loyal to players, but often try to keep them when they want out. That has backfired with players like Palmer and McCarron, both of which were upset with the FO. 

Also, at least with the other organizations, there's hope for drastic change. New GM, new coach, who knows how it goes. In Cincy, it will always be about the Brown family. 

On your last point, if Burrow is unhappy with being benched by Browns/Dolphins etc, he can just demand a trade and that team will respond to the request as a normal team would. If he winds up hating the Bengals, what happens with a trade demand? Who knows with Mike Brown. Maybe Mike just squats on his rights.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It's amazing Tua's agent talks crap when I doubt we even want him (you never know what MB is thinking). He's only trying to get his player in the discussions is all. It would be cool if Tua was drafted in the 6th round by the Lions.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 06:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It's amazing Tua's agent talks crap when I doubt we even want him (you never know what MB is thinking). He's only trying to get his player in the discussions is all. It would be cool if Tua was drafted in the 6th round by the Lions.

We will see how things go.  As of late QBs who fall into the mid rounds and get picked by teams who aren't in dire situations are faring better than the guys who go first.  My friends in Chicago are all lamenting watching the QB they didn't take hoist the Lombardi at the moment (after he beat another QB they didn't take in the playoffs and beat a QB they were entertaining as a FA pickup in the SB).

I'm sure the media would have a field day with the narrative if Tua's injury sends him down the board to a popular team and he flourishes. I will say it is interesting that we can have a hearty laugh at Tua's injury now that his agent went all sour grapes on the Bengals, though.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 03:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So he's not forced to sign a contract if he's drafted.
And I believe (not 100% sure) that if he doesn't sign a contract this year, he returns back to the draft pool for next year
If he re-enters draft next year, we could take him#1 again.
Without Burrow in 2020 and Dalton gone, we will have the worst W/L record00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:36 AM)seab00 Wrote: If he re-enters draft next year, we could take him#1 again.
Without Burrow in 2020 and Dalton gone, we will have the worst W/L record00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

How is that different from 2019?  Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tua's agent did him no favors (if it was any other team but the Bengals). I agree with everyone who said with Tua being injured the agent should be happy whoever drafts him and hope he goes 1OA.

If the attack wasn't against the Bengals, this would have been a significant misstep with tons of news coverage likely ending in his firing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote