Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uh-oh...Mixon might be out for a while
I think Walton will surprise some folks.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 06:07 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im not worried.

Do you know that Mixon has now rushed the ball 15 or more times in 8 games so far. And has only exceeded 100 yards in just one of those games, which also is his only 100+ yard rushing game so far.

Did you know that Mixon is 2nd in rushing through 2 weeks?
Did you know our line was abysmal last year...so lumping in last year's results is kinda misleading?
Did you know that Mixon has a 96 yard game and a 95 yard game? Is that why you made 100 yards the cut off?
Since Lazor switched the run blocking scheme last year, Mixon has had 15+ carries 4 times. The results:

23 carries - 114 yards - 1 TD
18 carries - 96 yards
17 carries - 95 yards - 1 TD
21 carries - 84 yards

Averaged out to a full 16 game schedule, this would be 316 carries, 1556 yards and 8 TDs. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 12:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Did you know that Mixon is 2nd in rushing through 2 weeks?
Did you know our line was abysmal last year...so lumping in last year's results is kinda misleading?
Did you know that Mixon has a 96 yard game and a 95 yard game? Is that why you made 100 yards the cut off?
Since Lazor switched the run blocking scheme last year, Mixon has had 15+ carries 4 times. The results:

18 carries - 96 yards
21 carries - 84 yards

Averaged out to a full 16 game schedule, this would be 316 carries, 1556 yards and 8 TDs. 

Exactly.. I think everyone should be extremely excited that we have Mixon. He seriously could reach the Todd Gurley, Bell, DJ levels. He is a monster for us.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 09:41 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I think Walton will surprise some folks.

Hopefully...his pre-season performance has set a very low bar.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 09:41 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I think Walton will surprise some folks.

Hope so

but holding my breath until Mixon is back. 

We need Mixon and Gio healthy this season. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 12:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Did you know that Mixon is 2nd in rushing through 2 weeks?

18 carries - 96 yards
21 carries - 84 yards

Did you know that some have been making Mixon out to be an elite running back already? (he isn't, yet)

Did you also know that some of those folks implied that Dalton and the offense won't be nearly as good without that eliteness of Mixon?

If Dalton is as good as you and others think, then missing Mixon shouldn't matter that much. Personally I think Dalton is good enough to run this offense with Gio and should score just as much with AJ, Eifert, and Boyd.

ps. I used 100 yards because that is a cut off number for running backs, and used in official NFL historical records.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

18 carries - 96 yards
21 carries - 84 yards

Cool stats Shake. He gets better as the game goes and once he gets into a rhythm.

Said before i couldn't judge the guy much from last year with that shit O-line.

Amazing Mixon and Gio did as well as they did.

(09-20-2018, 12:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Did you know that some have been making Mixon out to be an elite running back already? (he isn't, yet)

Did you also know that some of those folks implied that Dalton and the offense won't be nearly as good without that eliteness of Mixon?

If Dalton is as good as you and others think, then missing Mixon shouldn't matter that much. Personally I think Dalton is good enough to run this offense with Gio and should score just as much with AJ, Eifert, and Boyd.

ps. I used 100 yards because that is a cut off number for running backs, and used in official NFL historical records.

Mixon could be elite very soon. Crazy potential with his size, speed, vision, hands, cutting ability, moves etc.

I do agree that we should be able to survive without him though as long as Gio is healthy.

Walton is the guy i don't know about watching him in Preseason. Happy we got Rawls.
Reply/Quote
I feel like we’re under valuing how good gio can be and the fact that he has had stretches where he was our 1# back. These other guys are just his backup till Mixon is back and unless gio gets hurt why are we so worried about who’s behind him? Seems like a lot over nothing.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 07:43 PM)motoarch Wrote: I feel like we’re under valuing how good gio can be and the fact that he has had stretches where he was our 1# back.  These other guys are just his backup till Mixon is back and unless gio gets hurt why are we so worried about who’s behind him?  Seems like a lot over nothing.

Since Bernard came into the league in 2013 Matt Forte and LeVeon Bell are the only other players with at least 2000 rushing yards and 2000 receiving yards.

Gio's 9.0 yards per reception is better than Forte and Bell's averages and their yards per carry are almost identical (Bell 4.3, Bernard 4.2, Forte 4.1)
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 07:43 PM)motoarch Wrote: I feel like we’re under valuing how good gio can be and the fact that he has had stretches where he was our 1# back.  These other guys are just his backup till Mixon is back and unless gio gets hurt why are we so worried about who’s behind him?  Seems like a lot over nothing.

Definately agree.

I love Mixon and his upside but Gio is a damn good back and should be really good behind an improved O-line.

(09-20-2018, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since Bernard came into the league in 2013 Matt Forte and LeVeon Bell are the only other players with at least 2000 rushing yards and 2000 receiving yards.

Gio's 9.0 yards per reception is better than Forte and Bell's averages and their yards per carry are almost identical (Bell 4.3, Bernard 4.2, Forte 4.1)

Good stuff, didn't know that Fred. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 12:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: 1. Did you know that some have been making Mixon out to be an elite running back already? (he isn't, yet)

2. Did you also know that some of those folks implied that Dalton and the offense won't be nearly as good without that eliteness of Mixon?

3. If Dalton is as good as you and others think, then missing Mixon shouldn't matter that much. Personally I think Dalton is good enough to run this offense with Gio and should score just as much with AJ, Eifert, and Boyd.

1. I haven't noticed anyone on here saying Mixon is straight up elite right now. Sure, people are excited by what they saw over the first 2 games and think we may have something special, but haven't seen anyone actually saying Mixon is a top 5 guy right now.

2. Again, I think you're slightly exaggerating to help your case. I've seen people that expect some drop off (myself included), but not many who think we're going to fall off a cliff or that it's hopeless without Mixon. 

3. Meh...I can think a QB is good and still expect some drop off when you lose an electrifying talent. Jared Goff has looked great for over a year now, but I'd expect that offense to take a hit if they lost Gurley (not saying that Mixon = Gurley...yet). As I've said before, I think this offense will still be very good without Mixon, but Mixon had the look of a guy that can elevate an offense from "very good" to Super Bowl caliber. 

Maybe those first 2 games will wind up an abberation. Who knows? But he looked like a game changer. He gave me the same feeling as when I saw Chad Johnson for the first time. Or AJ Green. Or Burfict. You just kinda get a feeling when you watch a guy early on, whether or not he can be that type of player.

To your PS: 100 yards is considered a great game for a RB, but 80-90 yards is also extremely good. A 1000 yard season only translates to 62.5 yards per game. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Gio is very good and I believe we can win some games with him as the feature back. And although I agree Mixon hasn't done it yet long term I fully believe he has the ability to take us a step higher.

I'm not fitting Mixon for his gold jacket just yet but he does seem to be a difference maker thus far.
Reply/Quote
NO. He should NOT have been allowed to go back in. We had the lead the D was doing it's job. YOU ARE HURT.
Just damn....

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 12:07 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: {SNIP} 

To your PS: 100 yards is considered a great game for a RB, but 80-90 yards is also extremely good. A 1000 yard season only translates to 62.5 yards per game. 

I agree 1,000%.

Back in the 50's when the NFL played only 12 games, a 1,000 yard season was miraculous since it was an average of 83.33 YPG.

In the 60s and 70s, when the NFL played 14 games, a 1,000 yard season meant an average of 71.5 YPG. To keep the same "standard" as before, we should have been looking at a 1,100 (actually 1,166) yard season.

Now, with playing 16 games, a back can get 1,000 yards by averaging only 62.5 YPG, yet, to have the same meaning as a 1950's 1,000 yard season, 1,300 yards (actually 1,333) ought to be the standard.

When the NFL goes to 18 games (I think this will happen in under 5 years, a 1,000 yard season will be virtually meaningless since it requires an average of only 55.55 YPG.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 11:34 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: I agree 1,000%.

Back in the 50's when the NFL played only 12 games, a 1,000 yard season was miraculous since it was an average of 83.33 YPG.

In the 60s and 70s, when the NFL played 14 games, a 1,000 yard season meant an average of 71.5 YPG. To keep the same "standard" as before, we should have been looking at a 1,100 (actually 1,166) yard season.

Now, with playing 16 games, a back can get 1,000 yards by averaging only 62.5 YPG, yet, to have the same meaning as a 1950's 1,000 yard season, 1,300 yards (actually 1,333) ought to be the standard.

When the NFL goes to 18 games (I think this will happen in under 5 years, a 1,000 yard season will be virtually meaningless since it requires an average of only 55.55 YPG.

Same with 4000 and 5000 yard seasons for QB's. They will lose their meaning. Unfortunately, 18 games seems inevitable. 

Greed has a tendency to ruin everything.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 03:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Same with 4000 and 5000 yard seasons for QB's. They will lose their meaning. Unfortunately, 18 games seems inevitable. 

Ruin?

I love NFL football.  Two more games would be great.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 03:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ruin?

I love NFL football.  Two more games would be great.

This isn't really something to argue about, as it's totally subjective. You want more games regardless of it's affect on the quality of the games and the league. I'm all about maintaining traditions, as well as minimizing risk of injuries to star players. I'm also aware of fatigue risks of an 18 game schedule. Especially for rookies coming out of college - who already struggle a bit to adapt to 16 games.

It's truly quality vs quantity. 

You either want more games or you want the games we do have to be more meaningful. I also prefer NFL records having some meaning to them.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 07:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool stats Shake. He gets better as the game goes and once he gets into a rhythm.

Said before i couldn't judge the guy much from last year with that shit O-line.

Amazing Mixon and Gio did as well as they did.

Mixon could be elite very soon. Crazy potential with his size, speed, vision, hands, cutting ability, moves etc.

I do agree that we should be able to survive without him though as long as Gio is healthy.

Walton is the guy i don't know about watching him in Preseason. Happy we got Rawls.
That's what I love about him is his versatility because he can just do so many things well: be a receiver, run with power, run with shiftiness and moves, outrun defenders, be patient, and can see the field and evaluate what's happening in his head.

We have a star  ThumbsUp
(09-20-2018, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since Bernard came into the league in 2013 Matt Forte and LeVeon Bell are the only other players with at least 2000 rushing yards and 2000 receiving yards.

Bell also has over twice as many carries as Gio and Forte has almost twice as many.

Do you think Gio keeps up that YPC with twice as many carries?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 04:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Do you think Gio keeps up that YPC with twice as many carries?

Sure.  Looking at his yearly stats his yards per carry average does not seem to be influenced by the number of carries at all.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 03:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Same with 4000 and 5000 yard seasons for QB's. They will lose their meaning. Unfortunately, 18 games seems inevitable. 

Yep

You see it all over sports, saturation is ruining it and it's all about the money !

In 1975 how many college teams went to a bowl 15 % ? Now how many go 45 % ?

Good Evening and welcome to the Joe's fill dirt bowl featuring Northern Western Central out back St. vs. Light house School for the Blind. They both finished the season with  5-7 records and we're looking forward to a great game.

Please  :paul:
Reply/Quote