Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Unpopular opinions/Hot takes
(01-24-2021, 06:02 PM)Stewy Wrote: As I have been in Texas since 1995, I have never seen this.  And it looks disgusting.....

Also, Tex/Mex chili does not come with beans by default.  They come with or without or on the side (add them yourself).  It comes in green and red.....basically it comes how you like it......but NEVER with noodles......ever.

The one exception is Skyline/Goldstar, but I don't consider either of those to be real chili, but actually hotdog sauces.

What part of Texas? And be honest, do you actually get out much or just eat from home with your own home cooking? I live in Houston and Chili Mac and Cheese or Chili Mac Egg Rolls is a pretty common dish from places that serve those types or food. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The actual donuts at Dunkin are fairly mediocre, imo. The coffee is the best though.

Rock On
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 04:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Next time I'm in that area I will check that place out!

They are honestly the best donuts I've ever had.  Not fancy at all.  Just donuts made the way they are supposed to be without shortcuts.  They are huge and heavy, and not perfectly formed by a machine.  We have a fancier place called North Lime Coffee and Donuts here, as well.  Don't get me wrong, they are really good if you're into variety and different-ish ideas about what you should put on or into a donut.  Good quality, too.  Still, I'd take Spaldings plain glazed all day over whatever high-end donut North Lime cooks up.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The actual donuts at Dunkin are fairly mediocre, imo. The coffee is the best though.

I remember Dunkin's donuts being really good about 30 years ago give or take.  Like a lot of places, they seem to have started mass-producing and it cost them in terms of quality.  Pizza Hut is the same way.  Something changed a lot about the food they serve, and it's a lot different, not in a good way.  
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 07:36 PM)samhain Wrote: I remember Dunkin's donuts being really good about 30 years ago give or take.  Like a lot of places, they seem to have started mass-producing and it cost them in terms of quality.  Pizza Hut is the same way.  Something changed a lot about the food they serve, and it's a lot different, not in a good way.  

Nothing could compare during my child hood.  It was only available in a sit down restaurant where they made the dough for the crust fresh, and put it into a cast iron pan to cook.  Thanks to delivery, I can't remember the last time I went into a store for pickup.  But if memory serves, it's definitely a frozen dough (how else could they run out of one size?) and I don't recall it being cooked in a cast iron pan.  Don't get me wrong, I still like Pizza Hut (it's actually one of my preferred brands), but you are certainly correct that it is not what it once was...
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 08:16 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Nothing could compare during my child hood.  It was only available in a sit down restaurant where they made the dough for the crust fresh, and put it into a cast iron pan to cook.  Thanks to delivery, I can't remember the last time I went into a store for pickup.  But if memory serves, it's definitely a frozen dough (how else could they run out of one size?) and I don't recall it being cooked in a cast iron pan.  Don't get me wrong, I still like Pizza Hut (it's actually one of my preferred brands), but you are certainly correct that it is not what it once was...

I remember when you could see the dough coming out of the rollers at Pizza Hut.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 04:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Next time I'm in that area I will check that place out!

Look them up, because they moved from their 6th and Lime location. I think they are out on Richmond Rd. now. And Al's Bar is now a college hangout. If those kids today only knew how much blood was soaked into that floor.... Hilarious

On edit: They are on Winchester Rd., not Richmond Rd....

https://spaldingsbakery.com/
Reply/Quote
[Image: cbeddd7faf841ef3a810a9d02844af69.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Now, Nord's in Louisville is quite the donut place as well. They have a Longjohn donut that has a maple flavored icing that they put a strip of bacon on. It tastes like bacon and pancakes.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nords-bakery-louisville-2

[Image: o.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Tom Brady> Andy Dalton
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 08:16 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Nothing could compare during my child hood.  It was only available in a sit down restaurant where they made the dough for the crust fresh, and put it into a cast iron pan to cook.  Thanks to delivery, I can't remember the last time I went into a store for pickup.  But if memory serves, it's definitely a frozen dough (how else could they run out of one size?) and I don't recall it being cooked in a cast iron pan.  Don't get me wrong, I still like Pizza Hut (it's actually one of my preferred brands), but you are certainly correct that it is not what it once was...

Someone who worked there told me the amount of dough is based off some corporate metric. Basically it's a formula that says "you sold X amount of larges this date last year and Y amount of mediums," then it factors in recent sales and tells them how much dough to thaw out for which sizes.

So, yeah, that's why you can call and get two mediums but no large.
Reply/Quote
Mahomes is already threatening GOAT status.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 06:36 PM)TheFan Wrote: What part of Texas? And be honest, do you actually get out much or just eat from home with your own home cooking? I live in Houston and Chili Mac and Cheese or Chili Mac Egg Rolls is a pretty common dish from places that serve those types or food. 

Houston as well and I have never seen it on any menu......ever.  Not a Mexican place, not a Tex mex place, not a fast food place. Not a single restaurant on Uber Eats, Grub Hub or DoorDash have it on any menu within distance to my house.  So I don't know where your eating, but you might want to up the quality.
Reply/Quote
My youngest daughter always left early for high school. I was so proud she got up early to be early. Then, I found out years later her routine was to stop by UDF for a Mountain Dew, then head over to Krispy Kreme for doughnuts, then to high school.

Thankfully she player soccer and basketball. Krispy Kreme was also one of my favorites back in the day when I ate doughnuts.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 08:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: cbeddd7faf841ef3a810a9d02844af69.jpg]

One of the best marketing ideas ever....People would drive across three lanes of traffic when that light came on.  Somehow, the one up here in Kettering didn't make a go of it.  I am a Bill's donut fan, but one of these hot bastards with a really good coffee (not theirs) was heaven.  I microwave my Bill's cinnamon roll donuts a bit to make them warm. 

If any of you are ever in the Centerville area, try out Archer's Tavern.  A friend owns it (yes, he is a Bengals fan) and he is fanatical about the beer he serves.  Not just the variety, but the temp, the lines, the CO2, etc.  I swear, beer tastes better at Archers.  They are one of two places in the states (I believe) where they serve (on tap) Germany's beer of the decade, Riegele Privat.  It is outstanding.  I usually get a sample of something new to try out, but end up back at the Privat.

Back to the donuts:  They have a bread pudding dessert (and I am not a big sweets guy) that is made with a Bill's Cinnamon Roll Donut.  Best dessert I have ever had.  
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 08:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Now, Nord's in Louisville is quite the donut place as well. They have a Longjohn donut that has a maple flavored icing that they put a strip of bacon on. It tastes like bacon and pancakes.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nords-bakery-louisville-2

[Image: o.jpg]

Bill's has a similar donut but the bacon is spread out in chunks.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 10:17 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My youngest daughter always left early for high school. I was so proud she got up early to be early. Then, I found out years later her routine was to stop by UDF for a Mountain Dew, then head over to Krispy Kreme for doughnuts, then to high school.

Thankfully she player soccer and basketball. Krispy Kreme was also one of my favorites back in the day when I ate doughnuts.

Her dentist does not approve of this message... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 07:31 PM)samhain Wrote: They are honestly the best donuts I've ever had.  Not fancy at all.  Just donuts made the way they are supposed to be without shortcuts.  They are huge and heavy, and not perfectly formed by a machine.  We have a fancier place called North Lime Coffee and Donuts here, as well.  Don't get me wrong, they are really good if you're into variety and different-ish ideas about what you should put on or into a donut.  Good quality, too.  Still, I'd take Spaldings plain glazed all day over whatever high-end donut North Lime cooks up.  

Spalding's FTW.....
Reply/Quote
My hot take... Donuts and chili are for peasants.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 11:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Noodles, though, was some weird ass midwesterner approach to making one pot feed 50 kids. It's obscene.
So Greece is in the midwest now?  Huh.  :)
Reply/Quote