Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Can Still Punt For Penei
(01-03-2021, 10:01 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Jaguars - Lawrence
Jets - Fields?
Falcons - Matt Ryan replacement here or Parsons from Penn State?
Dolphins - Chase or Devonta Smith back with Tua??
Bengals - Did we still manage to punt for Penei? Or Chase here?

I feel like if he gets passed the Jets we have a shot. Falcons and Dolphins don't have tackle needs.

Want Sewell but will “settle” for Chase Smith or Pitts at 5. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 09:40 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: God the Texans are awful.

Tied at 38 after having missed a PAT and a 2PT play in the 3rd quarter (God NFL coaches are dumb about 2PT tries). Then they give up a 54 yard pass on the first play after the KO (less than 20 seconds left in the game). And then lose on a FG.

They gave up almost 300 yds on the ground. Talk about fools gold with our win last week...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:24 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: Want Sewell but will “settle” for Chase Smith or Pitts at 5. 

Watch us take one of the CB’s to avoid paying WJ3 with all these guys still on the board.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:24 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: Want Sewell but will “settle” for Chase Smith or Pitts at 5. 

The more I look at rosters with the draft order, outside of the Jets, Sewell has a real chance to be there at 5.

Atlanta has Jake Matthews at LT and Kaleb McGary their first rounder in 19 at RT.

Miami has Austin Jackson at LT 2020 1st rounder and Robert Hunt a 2020 2nd rounder at RT. 

So as long as the Jets fall in love with another QB, it could still fall well for us.

(01-03-2021, 10:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watch us take one of the CB’s to avoid paying WJ3 with all these guys still on the board.

Yeah... that would be a Bengal type move.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The more I look at rosters with the draft order, outside of the Jets, Sewell has a real chance to be there at 5.

Atlanta has Jake Matthews at LT and Kaleb McGary their first rounder in 19 at RT.

Miami has Austin Jackson at LT 2020 1st rounder and Robert Hunt a 2020 2nd rounder at RT. 

So as long as the Jets fall in love with another QB, it could still fall well for us.

Yeah... that would be a Bengal type move.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the jets trade back.

They could take sewell (or an offensive playmaker) and hope there's a decent qb prospect at the top of the second, or trade back and get the same qb prospect, plus a few picks. 
Reply/Quote
As much as we all have our favorites in the draft,
I've seen it too many times where fan favorites aren't all worth the hype. I just hope whoever we get ends up being great (as long as it's a reasonable pick and not a total headscratcher, I won't be too upset) even if it's not the player I wanted (Sewell). If they go Chase over Sewell, it wouldn't bother me too much as long as the OL is already addressed in FA. Or if they get Slater over Chase, because Sewell was already gone I wouldn't mind, even if Chase would be my pick. Sometimes the Bengals have gone against the experts' wisdom and ended up with good results (Levi Jones), but also terrible ones (J Ross). By the time the draft rolls around, opinions change, and since we don't know how the draft board will look at that time, I can only hope that luck goes our way. Cause the draft is just too much of a crapshoot especially when you go back and analyze how a board looked at the time of the draft versus how it would look three years later. Many of us would be laughing at a lot of our own player wishes if we were being honest.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watch us take one of the CB’s to avoid paying WJ3 with all these guys still on the board.
That’s painful to hear..because it’s true
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:48 PM)Benton Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see the jets trade back.

They could take sewell (or an offensive playmaker) and hope there's a decent qb prospect at the top of the second, or trade back and get the same qb prospect, plus a few picks. 

Certainly possible, but they have an extra pick from trading their safety and with a new head coach coming in, you'd have to think he's going to want his own QB to start with.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:48 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: As much as we all have our favorites in the draft,
I've seen it too many times where fan favorites aren't all worth the hype. I just hope whoever we get ends up being great (as long as it's a reasonable pick and not a total headscratcher, I won't be too upset) even if it's not the player I wanted (Sewell). If they go Chase over Sewell, it wouldn't bother me too much as long as the OL is already addressed in FA. Or if they get Slater over Chase,  because Sewell was already gone I wouldn't mind, even if Chase would be my pick. Sometimes the Bengals have gone against the experts' wisdom and ended up with good results (Levi Jones), but also terrible ones (J Ross). By the time the draft rolls around,  opinions change,  and since we don't know how the draft board will look at that time,  I can only hope that luck goes our way. Cause the draft is just too much of a crapshoot especially when you go back and analyze how a board looked at the time of the draft versus how it would look three years later. Many of us would be laughing at a lot of our own player wishes if we were being honest.

Like Drew Sample or John Ross?
Reply/Quote

If Surtain was taken as BPA, I could live with it (even if I disagree with that opinion). But it would be irritating , but not surprising if the Bengals put themselves in a position to have to draft him simply cause they didn't want to pay WJ (within reason), and also didn't address it via FA.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:54 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: If Surtain was taken as BPA, I could live with it (even if I disagree with that opinion). But it would be irritating , but not surprising if the Bengals put themselves in a position to have to draft him simply cause they didn't want to pay WJ (within reason), and also didn't address it via FA.

If Phillips could go a single quarter without getting injured I’d feel better about not replacing WJ3 with a high pick.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:51 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: Like Drew Sample or John Ross?

Personally,  I wanted Jonathan Allen or OJ Howard at the spot Ross was taken. But honestly, as soon as the pick was made, I talked myself into really liking the pick. Had no idea how much of a bust he would be. 

As for Sample,  it felt like a reach,  but at the end of the day as a fan with no access to any NFL team draft boards, I just have to go with their words. I'm sure many times teams have taken guys rated way lower by "experts", much higher.  To mixed results.  

About the only thing that I think is obvious is that the Bengals have a deck stacked against them from their own way of operating with very few scouts and non football competent executives all over the front office.  Considering how difficult drafting is for even the best structured organizations, the Bengals' insistence on maintaining a sub par structure is maddeningly bordering on malpractice.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If Phillips could go a single quarter without getting injured I’d feel better about not replacing WJ3 with a high pick.

Even if WJ was too rich for their blood (which I won't believe until we hear the details of all their efforts), they need to try their best at getting an average starting corner (slightly less able than WJ), before they look to burn a first round pick.  

Now if Surtain is the BPA ( or a can't miss type of CB), then I can live with picking him over Chase or Slater or Sewell. But only if they can convince me of this. Of course even then,  with the Bengals' luck the two or three they pass on will end up being All Pro or HOF level,  while their pick goes on to a middling or worse career.  Marshall Faulk  and Champ Bailey situations all over again. 
Reply/Quote
I want to hear tomorrow that Leshaun Sims is cut.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: I want to hear tomorrow that Leshaun Sims is cut.

He was on a 1 year deal. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:05 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Personally,  I wanted Jonathan Allen or OJ Howard at the spot Ross was taken. But honestly, as soon as the pick was made, I talked myself into really liking the pick. Had no idea how much of a bust he would be. 

As for Sample,  it felt like a reach,  but at the end of the day as a fan with no access to any NFL team draft boards, I just have to go with their words. I'm sure many times teams have taken guys rated way lower by "experts", much higher.  To mixed results.  

About the only thing that I think is obvious is that the Bengals have a deck stacked against them from their own way of operating with very few scouts and non football competent executives all over the front office.  Considering how difficult drafting is for even the best structured organizations, the Bengals' insistence on maintaining a sub par structure is maddeningly bordering on malpractice.

Agreed 100%. It’s a systemic organizational  failure 
Reply/Quote
If they sign a big proven FA tackle I could see them not drafting Sewell and filling another need with #5 pick
Reply/Quote