Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
We have to move on from Taylor
(10-10-2022, 11:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, and fundamentally there’s nothing wrong with that in general.  Remember the Patriots in their years with Tom Brady?  That offense was watered down vanilla extract but every player accomplished their individual assignments flawlessly.

they said Ocho could not grasp it 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 11:19 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Outscoring KC last year the second half and OT 34-6 says otherwise and leading the offense late in the playoff games with clutch play calling begs otherwise.

Yep. Unfortunately, the "ignorant" fan who has never played a team sport that didn't involve passing out the capri sun pouches, doesn't understand the magical job ZT and the coaches did a year ago.

Right now there are only 4- 4-1 teams and 1-5-0 team and 3 of them haven't sniffed a playoff in years or even gotten out of the 1st round if they did. And a couple of them are 1-2 plays from being 3-2 so it tells me lots of teams have their own issues right now and it takes time for teams to right the ship.

KC started 3-4 a season ago and had the exact same offensive woes. The SB winning rams went thru a 3 game losing streak in Nov. of last season and could not score. Bengals had 3- 2 game losing streaks last season.
Reply/Quote
Getting chippy in here. Whew.

Yeah it kinda sucks with the struggles the offense is going through. Zac and co. had all offseason to figure out how to score more points than they did in the playoffs and so far we look worse than last year. We need a well thought out offensive philosophy based on attacking using our weapons. What the OC braintrust has put together is a wishy washy offense that doesn't attack and relies on our playmakers to win with skill. It makes it harder on the players when the play call has no chance 10% of the time. Make things easy for the players via scheme and play calling/design. All of our games it seems like we are playing not to lose and just keeping things close. All these games are coming down to who gets the ball last and that's just not good enough. We have the talent to be as good as the Chiefs or Bills on offense and yet somehow all of our talented stars are underperforming?

We can either blame the coaches, or we should blame the players themselves. Maybe they all secretly suck and last year was a fluke? No, I'm not buying that either. Chase should be the best wideout in the league IMO. Higgins and Boyd should be feasting with the amount of attention he garners. We're trying to bring Chase in the backfield and have him run into a wall of blockers. That won't work. What has worked is a balanced shotgun offense with half runs and half passes to keep the defense guessing.

I'm 50 50 on whether Zac can figure things out. I do worry about him figuring it out, but continuing to make mistakes as he does. If your coach is prone to making mistakes, this could be a major concern in a playoff game (because it's definitely happened in the regular season). So I do worry--as others do on the board--whether Zac will ever be 'good enough' to win it all. The big thing with him is just get out of the way. Whether that means having someone else call the plays or what. His playcalling shouldn't hamper the offense in the ideal world. I'm hoping he can just get out of the way and maybe we should just run no huddle and stay in shotgun all game to prevent him from putting us in a bad situation schematically.
Reply/Quote
The Bengal fans are the very definition of a microwave society so much that it is becoming comically sad and embarrassing.

But microwaves are so 1980's, step up your game.

Zac built this machine and believe he has changed the FO culture too. They're doing things like never before, especially in FA.

If the entire fan base bashes their attempts prematurely, why would they just not go back to their old ways about only caring about profit and not the city and the fans ?

Be careful what you wish for folks because you just might get it.

Just believe some tweaking and self reflecting is needed personally.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:03 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Before we waste this window, we have got to move on from Zac Taylor, it's time for Katie and Mike to grow a sack and do right by this franchise on the highest level, Zac Taylor has got to go, he is not the guy. I pray every night that Nebraska offers Zac Taylor a blank check and we can get his a$$ on the first train to Lincoln.

While I've never been a fan of Taylor's playcalling and choice in some coaches, I wouldn't be surprised if the Front Office is using last year as an example of "give it time."

Last year, the Bengals had just one more win than they do after 5 games this year.
And they really didn't hit their stride until mid-late Dec.

So I can see the FO saying, "Let's see how this next stretch of games goes. The next 5 games are against teams with losing records."

If the team can come out of those 5 games being 4-1 or 5-0, they could have a good shot to make the playoffs again.
But I could easily see the Bengals getting just 1-2 wins in the last 7 games, as they have to play TEN, KC, TB, NE, BUF, and the Ravens again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Taylor deserves the credit for an amazing job last year. The poor season start this year and continued poor offense out the gate and play calling in the Redzone he deserves criticism. With 4 new starters in the OL they needed more preseason work. Not being ready for the cover 2 looks and Tampa 2 defenses was poor. But you have to be able to run the ball to defeat them and we couldn’t. This team is under achieving and maybe last years team over achieved. This teams 3 losses were all at the end of regulation. It’d be a different conversation if they’d been non-competitive.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 11:17 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The offense in the second half and OT outscored KC 34-6. So it would be both

Okay your talking both games. I was gonna say wait a second. I was strictly talking playoffs as our offense has struggled since we began the playoffs. But I didn't say that's what I was talking about.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 12:24 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Okay your talking both games. I was gonna say wait a second. I was strictly talking playoffs as our offense has struggled since we began the playoffs. But I didn't say that's what I was talking about.

Both games the offense scored 17 points after the half and the defense gave up 3. Both the offense and defense contributed.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 12:28 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Both games the offense scored 17 points after the half and the defense gave up 3. Both the offense and defense contributed.

I think 10 of the points were off turnovers. The offense did enough. But Defense > Offense in the playoff game for sure. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 12:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Taylor deserves the credit for an amazing job last year. The poor season start this year and continued poor offense out the gate and play calling in the Redzone he deserves criticism. With 4 new starters in the OL they needed more preseason work. Not being ready for the cover 2 looks and Tampa 2 defenses was poor. But you have to be able to run the ball to defeat them and we couldn’t. This team is under achieving and maybe last years team over achieved. This teams 3 losses were all at the end of regulation. It’d be a different conversation if they’d been non-competitive.

Look at you trying to be rational. LOL
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
None of this is new. Some have complained since Zac started about his playcalling. I sure have, even during the playoffs last year. But I do still think he's a good head coach. I just think he needs to get out his own way. It would be stupid for him to get fired over playcalling, but someone should sit him down and explain the benefit of stepping away from playcalling and focus on his main job. If nothing else, it'll take this heat off his shoulders. And best case is that he's got someone 100% devoted to the role (his as HC and someone else as OC).
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 11:19 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Outscoring KC last year the second half and OT 34-6 says otherwise and leading the offense late in the playoff games with clutch play calling begs otherwise.

Oh cut the sh^%, Hell Ed Orgeron won a Natti with Joe Burrow, Zac Taylor has nothing to do with this team's success from anything schematically... I cannot stand that goon. LAC Faylor
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor is 18-35-1 (0.343) in the regular season and 3-1 (0.750) in the playoffs.  That’s too weird for words.

Yes and no.  When you spend the first year with a really bad roster and the second year with a roster worthy of the number one pick, you'll have a bad overall record.

I love that the players play hard for Zac.  But I worry that they are starting to turn on him because of the play calling.  He probably needs to give that up before it's too late.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 12:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think 10 of the points were off turnovers. The offense did enough. But Defense > Offense in the playoff game for sure. 

In the 1-2 game the Bengals were down 28-17 at half.
They took the opening kickoff 3 plays 75 yards to make it 28-24
Later they went 8 plays 86 yards to take the lead 31-28
Then late in the game with 6:01 left went 15 plays 74 yards and kicked a field goal at the end of regulation to win the game. The offense contributed greatly to that victory. Shame on you that’s just bias.

In the AFC Championship:
The score after half was 21-10 KC.
The offense goes 11 plays 52 yards and gets to the 8 but a sack results in a field goal now 21-13.
BJ Hill intercepts Mahomes and the offense goes 5 plays 27 yards for a TD not field goal for 21-20. And the offense not the defense converts a 2 point conversion to knot it 21-21.
The offense later goes 11 plays and kicks a FG to go up 24-21
KC knots it back up with a FG now 24-24.
Vonn Bell makes interception in OT the offense runs 9 plays gains 42 yards and FG wins it.

It’s just cognitive bias to say the offense didn’t contribute a lot to both KC wins.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 11:16 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I see: it's the old, "when a player does well, it's their fault. When a player does poorly, it's the coaches fault."

Just sit down and shut up.

Well, when 14 was here....when we scored a lot of points and racked up yards, it was everyone but him that did it....but when people dropped balls, fumbled, blocked like shit, INTs we're thrown, etc, it was all him. It's the same short sighted argument with a different scapegoat.

The fact is, the offensive staff has some work to do....but so does our line (getting better), our seemingly infallible QB does too (getting better too), our RBs (one game looked better), etc. But no, in bizarre world, only one person sucks so bad, they cause every loss, and contribute nothing to any wins. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 01:43 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Oh cut the sh^%, Hell Ed Orgeron won a Natti with Joe Burrow, Zac Taylor has nothing to do with this team's success from anything schematically... I cannot stand that goon. LAC Faylor

Well college and the NFL are different but you’d better find another team as he’s not going anywhere

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 11:51 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The Bengal fans are the very definition of a microwave society so much that it is becoming comically sad and embarrassing.

Zac built this machine and believe he has changed the FO culture too. They're doing things like never before, especially in FA.

If the entire fan base bashes their attempts prematurely, why would they just not go back to their old ways about only caring about profit and not the city and the fans ?  

Well said, all of it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 01:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, when 14 was here....when we scored a lot of points and racked up yards, it was everyone but him that did it....but when people dropped balls, fumbled, blocked like shit, INTs we're thrown, etc, it was all him. It's the same short sighted argument with a different scapegoat.

The fact is, the offensive staff has some work to do....but so does our line (getting better), our seemingly infallible QB does too (getting better too), our RBs (one game looked better), etc. But no, in bizarre world, only one person sucks so bad, they cause every loss, and contribute nothing to any wins. 

Exactly

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 11:51 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The Bengal fans are the very definition of a microwave society so much that it is becoming comically sad and embarrassing.

Yeah, hopefully this forum isn't reflective of the regular fan base. Otherwise, it would be so painful for the organization to have changed the culture, got the team to the Super Bowl, had Taylor visiting bars and handing out game balls, have revised the social media presence, and then have the fan base turn on them just five games into the season after the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
Love Taylor. Man's putting in the work. Nice to see.
Reply/Quote