Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcom to the team, Drew Sample!
(04-26-2019, 11:05 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Here is an analysis of your boy Jace…..

Overview

Despite his experience in-line and willingness to block in Jimbo Fisher's offense, he has neither the size nor strength to handle those duties as a pro. Sternberger is athletic with above-average ball skills, catch radius and route breaks that help him undercover on the second and third level. His paychecks will be tied to his pass-catching so he'll need to play stronger through route contact and with better focus when contested. He has eventual starter potential as a move tight-end who can function as a big WR3/4 from the slot

LMAO.....clueless much?

Bruglar Draft guide

COMBINE 6040 251 32 1/8 09 3/4 77 1/4 4.75 2.82 1.70 31 1/2 09’05” 4.31 7.19 17 PRO DAY N/A (stood on Combine numbers; positional drills only)
STRENGTHS: Fleet of foot athlete...uses a swift release to quickly accelerate into his routes...strong to the football and finishes in crowded windows...comfortable working the middle of the field and skinny posts...highly competitive as a ball carrier and keeps his legs churning at contact, not going down easily...big-play threat due to his seam and YAC skills (six catches of 30-plus yards in 2018)...productive when the field shrinks, scoring five of his FBS-best 10 touchdowns in the red zone...willing blocker, using leverage and a hard shoulder...coaches speak highly of his work ethic and conditioning habits...highly productive 2018 season, including the school record for touchdown catches by a tight end (only the second FBS TE over the last decade with 17.3-plus yards per reception and 10-plus touchdowns in a season).
WEAKNESSES: Lean-muscled player and lacks ideal bulk...allows the ball to get on top of him at times...not a detailed route runner at this point in his development...inconsistent sink and snap when attempting to leverage route breaks...late to cut off rushers as an inline blocker...hands land wide, leading to off- balance reps at the point of attack...only one season of top-level production in college.
SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Texas A&M, Sternberger quickly emerged as the centerpiece of the Aggies’ passing game, lining up split out, wing or inline. Despite only one season in College Station, he is one of the most productive tight ends in school history, setting the single-season records for receiving yards and touchdown catches. With his athleticism and toughness, Sternberger offers tremendous YAC and down-the-seam value, recording at least one 20-plus yard catch in 12 of 13 games in 2018 (44 percent of his catches resulted in a 20-plus yard play). He is a work-in-progress as both a route runner and blocker and his NFL ceiling will be closely tied to his development in both areas. Overall, Sternberger is a vertical pass-catching target with the athleticism and warrior toughness to be a mismatch weapon, projecting as an NFL joker tight end.
GRADE: 3rd Round (#87 overall)
Reply/Quote
Bruglar had (what’s even his name) 9th.

T.J. HOCKENSON
2. NOAH FANT
3. IRV SMITH JR.
4. KAHALE WARRING
5. DAWSON KNOX
6. JACE STERNBERGER
7. JOSH OLIVER
8. KADEN SMITH
9. DREW SAMPLE
10. TREVON WESCO
11. FOSTER MOREAU
12. ISAAC NAUTA
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:58 PM)OSUfan Wrote: No things such as that do not occur to far too many on these boards. That sure did not change during my hiatus. Way too many think they actually have some sort of useful knowledge when it comes to evaluating NFL players as well as thinking they know far more than most that are actually paid to do the job.

Sure I think the selection may be a little high but I also am not privy to the info of knowing exactly what Taylor and Callahan are looking for to execute their offensive plan.

Nope some things will always be the same on these boards.

So you agree with a lot of us who think the selection was a little high.

And here is something from people other than fan message board for you

[Image: 62fbd7a945df7d9f3349593b52a31fde.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that if the Bengals agreed that he was a 4th round prospect, they wouldn't have taken him in the 2nd round.

This draft was very good in the first round and is very deep in the 3rd to 6th round range.

There just weren't that many 2nd round prospects that one would consider "slam dunks" or even immediate starters.

Even now, I'm looking at the 2nd round and while there are prospects that I would have preferred we take, there are none that I feel like would have made me excited.

If this pick fits what the Bengals want to do on Offense, I can live with the selection. Especially since we got our rangy LB in the 3rd round anyway (and Mack Wilson is still on the board, meaning he would have been a reach at 42 or 52 as well. Just so we'rd keeping track.)
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:25 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So you agree with a lot of us who think the selection was a little high.

Best run blocking grade of any TE in the draft. Interesting because someone stated earlier that we could have taken 25 players including TEs that were better blockers than him. Wonder if that person would still like to discuss that given the posted info?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:25 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So you agree with a lot of us who think the selection was a little high.

Isn't his blocking ratings better than ANY of the current O-Line personnel currently on the Bengals???
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Prob would not have been my pick but at the end of the day the staff makes the picks and they always see things differently than the fans and media.

Over the last few years we have also cleaned up on steals in the draft that ended up not equating to as much as the base expected.

So here there is a perceived reach which is understandable but I'm gonna wait to see him play before I form an opinion.
Only time will tell if he is worthy. If he comes out and does his job more power to him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:29 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Best run blocking grade of any TE in the draft. Interesting because someone stated earlier that we could have taken 25 players including TEs that were better blockers than him. Wonder if that person would still like to discuss that given the posted info?

Well I don't know, and I don't know who said it.  But way to gloss over the overall player ranking.  Sample himself said he wasn't expecting to go until 3 or 4.  56 was too high
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:01 PM)seahawkscheat Wrote: should have taken winovich he will go to some "popular" team like the eagles

would have been a huge reach taking the 77th pick that early.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:20 PM)yang Wrote: Bruglar Draft guide

COMBINE 6040 251 32 1/8 09 3/4 77 1/4 4.75 2.82 1.70 31 1/2 09’05” 4.31 7.19 17 PRO DAY N/A (stood on Combine numbers; positional drills only)
STRENGTHS: Fleet of foot athlete...uses a swift release to quickly accelerate into his routes...strong to the football and finishes in crowded windows...comfortable working the middle of the field and skinny posts...highly competitive as a ball carrier and keeps his legs churning at contact, not going down easily...big-play threat due to his seam and YAC skills (six catches of 30-plus yards in 2018)...productive when the field shrinks, scoring five of his FBS-best 10 touchdowns in the red zone...willing blocker, using leverage and a hard shoulder...coaches speak highly of his work ethic and conditioning habits...highly productive 2018 season, including the school record for touchdown catches by a tight end (only the second FBS TE over the last decade with 17.3-plus yards per reception and 10-plus touchdowns in a season).
WEAKNESSES: Lean-muscled player and lacks ideal bulk...allows the ball to get on top of him at times...not a detailed route runner at this point in his development...inconsistent sink and snap when attempting to leverage route breaks...late to cut off rushers as an inline blocker...hands land wide, leading to off- balance reps at the point of attack...only one season of top-level production in college.
SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Texas A&M, Sternberger quickly emerged as the centerpiece of the Aggies’ passing game, lining up split out, wing or inline. Despite only one season in College Station, he is one of the most productive tight ends in school history, setting the single-season records for receiving yards and touchdown catches. With his athleticism and toughness, Sternberger offers tremendous YAC and down-the-seam value, recording at least one 20-plus yard catch in 12 of 13 games in 2018 (44 percent of his catches resulted in a 20-plus yard play). He is a work-in-progress as both a route runner and blocker and his NFL ceiling will be closely tied to his development in both areas. Overall, Sternberger is a vertical pass-catching target with the athleticism and warrior toughness to be a mismatch weapon, projecting as an NFL joker tight end.
GRADE: 3rd Round (#87 overall)

Sounds incredibly similar to Chase Coffman.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Keep in mind that if the Bengals agreed that he was a 4th round prospect, they wouldn't have taken him in the 2nd round.

This draft was very good in the first round and is very deep in the 3rd to 6th round range.

There just weren't that many 2nd round prospects that one would consider "slam dunks" or even immediate starters.

Even now, I'm looking at the 2nd round and while there are prospects that I would have preferred we take, there are none that I feel like would have made me excited.

If this pick fits what the Bengals want to do on Offense, I can live with the selection. Especially since we got our rangy LB in the 3rd round anyway (and Mack Wilson is still on the board, meaning he would have been a reach at 42 or 52 as well. Just so we'rd keeping track.)

This. I don't often say "the team knows better than you" but lets be honest. I trust Tobin and crew more than "anonymous mock draft site". They felt the guy would be gone before their 3rd round pick and obviously valued him. The problem here is that we'll never know if they were right (that some other team would've nabbed him), so we assume based on anonymous draft site that we reached.

TL/DR: Maybe we didn't reach as badly as people think. Draft sites are wrong all the time. Go back and look at some mocks after this draft is over for a good laugh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This. I don't often say "the team knows better than you" but lets be honest. I trust Tobin and crew more than "anonymous mock draft site". They felt the guy would be gone before their 3rd round pick and obviously valued him. The problem here is that we'll never know if they were right (that some other team would've nabbed him), so we assume based on anonymous draft site that we reached.

TL/DR: Maybe we didn't reach as badly as people think. Draft sites are wrong all the time. Go back and look at some mocks after this draft is over for a good laugh.

There are always players that teams disagree with the experts on. A perfect example is Andrew Billings. He was 3 full rounds less regarded by teams than every single mock draft in existence that year.

Teams have more knowledge than any of those draft sites. In fact, most of those draft sites reference the one scout or one coach they have a contact with as their reasoning for their rankings.

I won't say that Sample was a great pick, or even a good pick. But I am choosing to believe that our brand new coaching staff is not populated by a bunch of losers who don't understand talent. Especially after their 1st and, now, 3rd round picks make me feel very comfortable with their ability to evaluate talent. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the third day. God knows we have plenty of ammunition to work with. I hope they use some of those 6th round picks to move around in the 4th and 5th rounds.
Reply/Quote
Callahan on Sample pick

Callahan: “I think we want to be a dominant run offense. Any piece we can get to do that, we’re all for. This division is notorious for being hard and tough, with the weather and physicality. Its reputation is a physical one, so the more physical we can be, the better. The player’s we’ve added speak to that. You have to run the football in this league; it’s not a secret. These guys help us do that.”
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Irv Smith 6'2" 242lbs supposed to be this super athletic stud TE. He went 2 picks before Sample.

40 Yard Dash
4.63u
SECONDS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

Sample 6'5" 255lbs. Considerably bigger. Wins in every category. Other than being 0.08 seconds slower in the 40.

40 Yard Dash
4.71u
SECONDS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS
Reply/Quote
Fans need to understand, these draft sites grade players, then grade picks based on players they graded. So, if you use their board best available, you get an "A", if not lower. Most do not prioritize team needs or put that in their grade.

Russel Wilson post draft was a number 1 pick for example, but if someone drafted him in round 1, they would have gotten a "C" as Wilson was not close to be rated a 1st round talent. Just one example.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Interesting tidbit. If we had stayed put at 42 rather than trading down and took Sample, he would have been selected in the exact same slot as Reggie Kelly was in 1998.

The game has changed a lot in the last 21 years. A lot of people just view Tight End as "big Wide Receiver" nowadays. Maybe Sample will be a return to a more run based offense, which would work for me, since we got Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:44 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Irv Smith 6'2" 242lbs supposed to be this super athletic stud TE. He went 2 picks before Sample.

40 Yard Dash
4.63u
SECONDS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

Sample 6'5" 255lbs. Considerably bigger. Wins in every category. Other than being 0.08 seconds slower in the 40.

40 Yard Dash
4.71u
SECONDS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

Fans know Irv Smith because experts said he would be great, but fans never were exposed to Sample. Do we want our scouts and Tobin with Zac and coaching staff to use the ESPN draft board or do we want them to create their own board.

These numbers highlight how close these guys measurables are. My understanding Sample is also the better blocker.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:43 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Callahan on Sample pick

Callahan: “I think we want to be a dominant run offense. Any piece we can get to do that, we’re all for. This division is notorious for being hard and tough, with the weather and physicality. Its reputation is a physical one, so the more physical we can be, the better. The player’s we’ve added speak to that. You have to run the football in this league; it’s not a secret. These guys help us do that.”

Is it just me or is Brian "Not Bill" Callahan really hard to listen to... I want to reach out and slap him every time he clicks his tongue off the roof of his mouth.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:57 AM)Synric Wrote: Is it just me or is Brian "Not Bill" Callahan really hard to listen to... I want to reach out and slap him every time he clicks his tongue off the roof of his mouth.

I thought he came off pretty well during his interviews when we first hired him. He’s one of Taylor’s hires I actually have hope for.

Reply/Quote
I gotta admit, I had no idea who this guy was, I've been on the highway, and talked with my brother (a Raiders fan and former HS coach), and he calmed me right down. I agree with others....Zac is definitely running this show.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote