Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Really Happens When You Use the R-Word
(10-04-2017, 09:34 AM)Vlad Wrote: Its the use of the word as a derogatory term...you woman.  j/k .LOL   The Ravens played like a bunch of women against the Steelers.
You drive like a woman.

"The dude is successful at business, must be an effing Jew"

Same goes with ********.

I assumed he was trolling, so I didn't bother to explain the obvious to him, but thanks for doing so. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-04-2017, 09:34 AM)Vlad Wrote: Its the use of the word as a derogatory term, its transformation into a derogatory word ...you woman.  j/k .LOL   The Ravens played like a bunch of women against the Steelers.
You drive like a woman.

"The dude is successful at business, must be an effing Jew"

Same goes with ********.

How ********.

Side note.... Wasn't it bob hope who did a lot of women driver bits?
(10-04-2017, 09:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How ********.  

Side note.... Wasn't it bob hope who did a lot of women driver bits?

You just did it! LOL

I'm sure he did. He was a Republican after all.

(10-04-2017, 10:08 AM)Vlad Wrote: You just did it! LOL

I'm sure he did. He was a Republican after all.

People are just too sensitive anymore.

This is exactly why everyone needs to overcome a bully when they are young.
(10-04-2017, 10:14 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: People are just too sensitive anymore.  

This is exactly why everyone needs to overcome a bully when they are young.

And maybe people don't need to be an asshole in the first place?!  I mean seriously?  You're still rolling with this narrative? 

I love it when people act like an asshole then get offended when they get called out on it.

(10-04-2017, 10:31 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: And maybe people don't need to be an asshole in the first place?!  I mean seriously?  You're still rolling with this narrative? 

I love it when people act like an asshole then get offended when they get called out on it.

Oh I am well aware I can be an ahole. I own that fact.

Which narrative are you referring to? The bullying?

we have agreed on this before and you and The confusion may be that the definition or view of the bullying I am speaking about may be different and causing some confusion. But I do know when we have had his topic before we did agree.

Bullying now has become a lot of stuff, I am speaking more to the old school bully who was taking lunch money and being a jerk. Biff Tanner, Buddy Revel type of bully. Not these identity theft cyber bullies.
(10-04-2017, 11:01 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Oh I am well aware I can be an ahole.   I own that fact.  

Which narrative are you referring to?   The bullying?  

we have agreed on this before and you and The confusion may be that the definition or view of the bullying I am speaking about may be different and causing some confusion.    But I do know when we have had his topic before we did agree.  

Bullying now has become a lot of stuff, I am speaking more to the old school bully who was taking lunch money and being a jerk.    Biff Tanner, Buddy Revel type of bully.    Not these identity theft cyber bullies.

Well at least you're aware of the problem.

The rest of your post is a disaster though.
(10-04-2017, 02:03 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well, respectfully using the shortened version of any word isn't derogatory at all.    And the same people who were up in arms probably sending you Guys PM's also got upset at _____.     Which should easily explain that they don't care about the words they care more about trying to control.

Overall context and perceived intent, brother.

When is person is honestly attempting to have a serious conversation about something, those two things matter.

If they are discussing/debating a transgender/transsexual topic...and they purposely refuse to use the actual terms, and instead opt for word that is known to carry inflammatory connotations...then it's hard as hell to believe that person has any real interest in talking seriously. Instead, it can easily be perceived - and rightfully so- that the person is just seeking to bring attention to their self or instigating with the hopes of causing arguments that derail the topic.

If I'm trying to have a serious discussion about a subject concerning African- Americans (for instance)..there are certain terms that I purposely wouldn't use because - aside from not liking the words - they would add nothing to the topic, and would make me look incapable of having a grown up conversation. 

Anyone who claims to want to have 'serious' discussions, and then purposely and repeatedly  chooses the term that is well-known to be used more in a negative/derogatory fashion by those that oppose the subject matter, instead of the actual and commonly accepted term...has to expect to be challenged on their intent. 

As it pertains to this board, people need to keep in mind that this is a football/sports message board first and foremost. PnR is one of the bonuses of board, but it's not the centerpiece. There are plenty of places on the interwebz where all types of language is permitted and you can basically say any damn thing you want. This board isn't one of them. There are certain restrictions here - based on respect, thoughtfulness and common sense. The day that those things no longer matter on this site, is the day I walk away from it. Thankfully, to the overall majority of members here, I think it matters a lot...and it's what makes this a fun place to hang out for everyone, not just one group or another.
(10-04-2017, 03:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Overall context and perceived intent, brother.

When is person is honestly attempting to have a serious conversation about something, those two things matter.

If they are discussing/debating a transgender/transsexual topic...and they purposely refuse to use the actual terms, and instead opt for word that is known to carry inflammatory connotations...then it's hard as hell to believe that person has any real interest in talking seriously. Instead, it can easily be perceived - and rightfully so- that the person is just seeking to bring attention to their self or instigating with the hopes of causing arguments that derail the topic.

If I'm trying to have a serious discussion about a subject concerning African- Americans (for instance)..there are certain terms that I purposely wouldn't use because - aside from not liking the words - they would add nothing to the topic, and would make me look incapable of having a grown up conversation. 

Anyone who claims to want to have 'serious' discussions, and then purposely and repeatedly  chooses the term that is well-known to be used more in a negative/derogatory fashion by those that oppose the subject matter, instead of the actual and commonly accepted term...then they have to expect to be challenged on their intent. 

As it pertains to this board, people need to keep in mind that this is a football/sports message board first and foremost. PnR is one of the bonuses of board, but it's not the centerpiece. There are plenty of places on the interwebz where all types of language is permitted and you can basically say any damn thing you want. This board isn't one of them. There are certain restrictions here - based on respect, thoughtfulness and common sense. The day that those things no longer matter on this site, is the day I walk away from it. Thankfully, to the overall majority of members here, I think it matters a lot...and it's what makes this place fun to hang out for everyone, not just one group or another.

The only context I have ever used is as a descriptor. The derogatory is just perceived and the fact remains the only negative or derogatory thing I have said about them is that they were weird. The only reason that I didn't use another word is because I was posted a list of about 50 made up words. One being four wolf. It was beyond ridiculous. I chose to stick with the common and familiar term.

As for the board, I really don't care what words are allowed or banned I was just stating that the same arguments made about ****** were the same ones about *****. It's always the same group of people who want to lecture us all on word choices.

Respect, thoughtfulness, and common sense matter to me as well. I just wish some here would stop trying to lecture and just discuss the topics at hand. Part of having respect for others is not lecturing which is what I wish would stop from regular members
(10-04-2017, 05:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The only context I have ever used is as a descriptor.   The derogatory is just perceived and the fact remains the only negative or derogatory thing I have said about them is that they were weird.   The only reason that I didn't use another word is because I was posted a list of about 50 made up words.   One being four wolf.  It was beyond ridiculous.   I chose to stick with the common and familiar term.  

As for the board, I really don't care what words are allowed or banned I was just stating that the same arguments made about ****** were the same ones about *****.  It's always the same group of people who want to lecture us all on word choices.    

Respect, thoughtfulness, and common sense matter to me as well.   I just wish some here would stop trying to lecture and just discuss the  topics at hand.    Part of having respect for others is not lecturing which is what I wish would stop from regular members

This is a lecture.
I'm sure there are some real angels here on the boards, but most people I know have jokingly called someone ******** before. I don't exactly use it frequently, and I do try to be sensitive to who I'm around when I say it.

Personally, I think the word has lost it's original meaning. Who refers to a mentally handicapped (is that ok to say anymore?) person as ******** these days? For decades, it's been used to describe a situation that doesn't make sense or a person (often a friend or a sibling) that's acting silly.

While this may be my personal view and one that I feel is shared my a large portion of the population, I understand and respect those that may be offended by the word. That won't stop me from using it occasionally, but I will try to respect them when they're around.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(10-05-2017, 02:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm sure there are some real angels here on the boards, but most people I know have jokingly called someone ******** before. I don't exactly use it frequently, and I do try to be sensitive to who I'm around when I say it.

Personally, I think the word has lost it's original meaning. Who refers to a mentally handicapped (is that ok to say anymore?) person as ******** these days? For decades, it's been used to describe a situation that doesn't make sense or a person (often a friend or a sibling) that's acting silly.

While this may be my personal view and one that I feel is shared my a large portion of the population, I understand and respect those that may be offended by the word. That won't stop me from using it occasionally, but I will try to respect them when they're around.

Exactly how I feel. I wouldn't use it in front of someone who is actually a ******. If I somehow offended someone here who is an actual ****** then I apologize.

If another poster is actually mentally handicapped and offended they can feel free to inbox me or reply to this post and I will personalize an apology.
(10-05-2017, 02:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly how I feel.   I wouldn't use it in front of someone who is actually a ******.   If I somehow offended someone here who is an actual ****** then I apologize.

If another poster is actually mentally handicapped and offended they can feel free to inbox me or reply to this post and I will personalize an apology.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-05-2017, 02:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly how I feel.   I wouldn't use it in front of someone who is actually a ******.   If I somehow offended someone here who is an actual ****** then I apologize.

Wow. You pretty much repeated what I just said, but somehow you seem less sincere and more like you're trying to tweak people. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(10-05-2017, 02:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm sure there are some real angels here on the boards, but most people I know have jokingly called someone ******** before. I don't exactly use it frequently, and I do try to be sensitive to who I'm around when I say it.

(10-05-2017, 02:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly how I feel. I wouldn't use it in front of someone who is actually a ******. If I somehow offended someone here who is an actual ****** then I apologize.

(10-05-2017, 03:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wow. You pretty much repeated what I just said, but somehow you seem less sincere and more like you're trying to tweak people. 

Well, you asked. And guess who just called an "actual ******" an "actual ******"?
(10-05-2017, 04:30 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Well, you asked. And guess who just called an "actual ******" an "actual ******"?

[Image: spweh.jpg]
(10-05-2017, 03:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wow. You pretty much repeated what I just said, but somehow you seem less sincere and more like you're trying to tweak people. 

All I was doing was trying to meet people halfway. Have we reached a point where giving out an olive branch is tweaking people?
One mans olive branch is another mans passive aggressive stick swung to insult people.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-05-2017, 07:02 PM)Benton Wrote: One mans olive branch is another mans passive aggressive stick swung to insult people.

Well sorry to disappoint but I was being sincere.

Ofc we have 4 passive aggressive insult threads posted.... none of which are from me. As long as we are pointing out passive aggressive posts.
(10-05-2017, 08:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well sorry to disappoint but I was being sincere.

Ofc we have 4 passive aggressive insult threads posted.... none of which are from me. As long as we are pointing out passive aggressive posts.

(10-05-2017, 02:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly how I feel. I wouldn't use it in front of someone who is actually a ******. If I somehow offended someone here who is an actual ****** then I apologize.

So you sincerely used "******" to refer to anyone with a mental, intellectual, or developmental disability?