Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What happened with Green and the Bengals in Houston
Here it is, in one shot.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/12/24/what-happened-with-the-cincinnati-bengals-and-aj-green-in-houston/95824856/

I've got like 2 hours to kill by myself on Xmas Even in Houston, so get at me here if you want to go over this.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Jim, why does this franchise love to alienate their best players? Be it trying to murder Dalton by refusing to bench Ogbuehi (one of two blatantly obvious moves, along with Nugent, that might have the Bengals competing for the division right now), or letting AJ practice in full and give him the illusion he can come back only to deny him.

I'm on the fence if I agree with him being held back or not, but I think the biggest problem is that AJ didn't know until last minute. He practiced in full, the team thought he was going to be there. I am sure Dalton was happy to prepare like AJ was going to be there.

Does this just feel worse than normal because we haven't had a ton of overt Mike Brown decisions the last couple years, so we lost a bit of our conditioning to it?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 03:38 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Here it is, in one shot.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/12/24/what-happened-with-the-cincinnati-bengals-and-aj-green-in-houston/95824856/

I've got like 2 hours to kill by myself on Xmas Even in Houston, so get at me here if you want to go over this.

If it's true the injury isn't fully healed and there's a risk of worse injury, it makes obvious sense to not risk it.

If a player practices and feels no pain or tightness, indicating the injury is healed, and feels he's ready to play, then it makes little sense to sit him. 

I trust the Bengals braintrust about as far as i can throw the Golden Gate Bridge. They've earned that trust over the years.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Was it the determination of the doctors that Green should definitely not play, or did they just advise of the risks if he did?
Reply/Quote
I can't speak to the latter point about Mike not interceding because last year, and to this point, ownership had very little say (that we know of) with what was happening on game day. I think the odd thing is why this happened on Friday after the team traveled, and I don't think there is a good answer for that - even from the club. It just did. In hindsight, with this s--storm, they no doubt are regretting the fact this didn't happen Friday morning.

As far as alienation - not sure that's happened here in a long time. Someone on Twitter brought up Palmer but that was a lifetime ago (in NFL terms) and there was a lot to that situation. Green will be irritated, and should be, but he'll get over it.

Re; Dalton - the organization wasn't alienating him by starting their first round pick. In that situation most everyone would say Ogbuehi just had to be better.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Someone better tell Nately that we got ourselves another diva.
Reply/Quote
I would like to know if AJ will be missing out on any contractual bonuses since he wont be playing the last two games. Does he have a 1000 yard bonus for example? Or a multiple 1000 yard season bonus, something along those lines.

I have to wonder what got him so upset to leave the team in Houston right before they are about to play tonight. I mean he was already there, but now I am guessing went back to Georgia for Christmas with his family? Anyways food for thought.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 03:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I would like to know if AJ will be missing out on any contractual bonuses since he wont be playing the last two games. Does he have a 1000 yard bonus for example? Or a multiple 1000 yard season bonus, something along those lines.

I have to wonder what got him so upset to leave the team in Houston right before they are about to play tonight. I mean he was already there, but now I am guessing went back to Georgia for Christmas with his family? Anyways food for thought.

Eh, you'd think he'd still want to be there for his teamates. Hell, he was already there.

He's pissed. No way around it. I just hope we don't see another drama unfolding with a star player. We've had enough of them as is.
Reply/Quote
It is true that it is not fully healed. A.J. said so himself, but he felt he was good enough to play and he told me he was comfortable with the idea that it wasn't totally healed.
Clearly, on Friday, they reached some kind of conclusion that he could suffer a more severe tear by playing at game speed and that made ownership leery of their $80 million receiver having to face offseason surgery (at the worst).

I can't speak to what the doctors said. With ownership telling me Green faced an "inordinate risk" in playing, it means they were told he could play - but there is a better chance that he tears that thing off the bone in its current state as opposed to say, a 100 percent healthy hammy.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:00 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It is true that it is not fully healed. A.J. said so himself, but he felt he was good enough to play and he told me he was comfortable with the idea that it wasn't totally healed.
Clearly, on Friday, they reached some kind of conclusion that he could suffer a more severe tear by playing at game speed and that made ownership leery of their $80 million receiver having to face offseason surgery (at the worst).

I can't speak to what the doctors said. With ownership telling me Green faced an "inordinate risk" in playing, it means they were told he could play - but there is a better chance that he tears that thing off the bone in its current state as opposed to say, a 100 percent healthy hammy.

Thanks for the response, and for keeping us updated on the situation.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 03:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I would like to know if AJ will be missing out on any contractual bonuses since he wont be playing the last two games. Does he have a 1000 yard bonus for example? Or a multiple 1000 yard season bonus, something along those lines.

(12-24-2016, 04:00 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Eh, you'd think he'd still want to be there for his teamates. Hell, he was already there.

He's pissed. No way around it. I just hope we don't see another drama unfolding with a star player. We've had enough of them as is.

Don't forget that not only was two days before Christmas, but he also has a 3-month-old child at home.

(12-24-2016, 03:56 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I can't speak to the latter point about Mike not interceding because last year, and to this point, ownership had very little say (that we know of) with what was happening on game day. I think the odd thing is why this happened on Friday after the team traveled, and I don't think there is a good answer for that - even from the club. It just did. In hindsight, with this s--storm, they no doubt are regretting the fact this didn't happen Friday morning.

As far as alienation - not sure that's happened here in a long time. Someone on Twitter brought up Palmer but that was a lifetime ago (in NFL terms) and there was a lot to that situation. Green will be irritated, and should be, but he'll get over it.

Re; Dalton - the organization wasn't alienating him by starting their first round pick. In that situation most everyone would say Ogbuehi just had to be better.

Not the same talent level, but I also think of Gresham more recently, questioning his toughness to national news, only to later find out when he leaves in FA that the guy needed back surgery.

Just have seen too many Boomers/Dillons/Palmers/Greshams for it to be considered an isolated incident, so now I am worried while waiting for the next one.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Re: contract bonuses - I doubt it, as I'm sure some of the national guys who get information from agents would have let that out there. They are paying him $60 million the next four years and usually bonuses are attained throughout workouts and reporting dates (i.e. "guaranteed"). There's no financial consideration with this, IMO.

It is odd to me that he would leave. Now, all of his teammates will be asked about it by us after a game and I'm sure he'll regret putting them in that position. But who knows. As for where he went - couldn't tell ya.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 03:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If it's true the injury isn't fully healed and there's a risk of worse injury, it makes obvious sense to not risk it.

If a player practices and feels no pain or tightness, indicating the injury is healed, and feels he's ready to play, then it makes little sense to sit him. 

I trust the Bengals braintrust about as far as i can throw the Golden Gate Bridge. They've earned that trust over the years.

Then if its not fully healed you don't let him practice. It's as simple as that.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Then if its not fully healed you don't let him practice. It's as simple as that.

Exactly. And as usual, the Bengals totally screwed it up.

Par for the course.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:07 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Re: contract bonuses -  I doubt it, as I'm sure some of the national guys who get information from agents would have let that out there. They are paying him $60 million the next four years and usually bonuses are attained throughout workouts and reporting dates (i.e. "guaranteed"). There's no financial consideration with this, IMO.

It is odd to me that he would leave. Now, all of his teammates will be asked about it by us after a game and I'm sure he'll regret putting them in that position. But who knows. As for where he went - couldn't tell ya.

Bob Holtzman reported - "there are some unhappy people in the Bengals organization about how this AJ Green situation was handled."

Have you heard any of the same?
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't forget that not only was two days before Christmas, but he also has a 3-month-old child at home.

Oh definitely. Bengals didnt handle this well at all is the bottom line, and in return AJ just shook his head and will be with his family instead tonight, assuming. Can't blame him one bit. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I can see why many here are Zimmer fans. He trotted out a broken down Adrian Peterson last week, without regard to the player's future.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
They need to do what other teams do bringing guys back from injury...play him like 20 plays and let him get his 36 yards.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:00 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It is true that it is not fully healed. A.J. said so himself, but he felt he was good enough to play and he told me he was comfortable with the idea that it wasn't totally healed.

Then it makes sense to hold him out. 

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Then it makes sense to hold him out. 

Why do they just figure this out after 2 weeks of practice then? If he could totally tear it off the hamstring and faces an inordinate amount of risk...then you don't have him running. You more importantly communicate it to Green...

It's likely PR spin for the Bengals...or ineptness in allowing him to practice.
Reply/Quote