Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the LBs?
Im a bit shocked that no LBs have been signed....as it being the weakest position on this team
Reply/Quote
Between free agent LBs having the lowest return on investment rating, and the market for them being so fast and furious, I think that it's safe to say the Bengals are going to draft one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:42 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Im a bit shocked that no LBs have been signed....as it being the weakest position on this team

I don't even know who is out there besides a few guys that are pretty much solely pass rushers.

They must have something up their sleeve as we only have 2 LB's on the official roster right now.

Need to add like 3 at least.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Between free agent LBs having the lowest return on investment rating, and the market for them being so fast and furious, I think that it's safe to say the Bengals are going to draft one.

Or 3 lol
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't even know who is out there besides a few guys that are pretty much solely pass rushers.

They must have something up their sleeve as we only have 2 LB's on the official roster right now.

Need to add like 3 at least.

I'm hoping they have some sort of trade in the works. Otherwise they are really banking on the draft panning out in rounds 2-4. I don't want to see us reaching for linebackers. I want to see us picking best player. 

If they could just land one proven veteran at middle linebacker that they can count on, it would really open up the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Between free agent LBs having the lowest return on investment rating, and the market for them being so fast and furious, I think that it's safe to say the Bengals are going to draft one.

I'd say a day two lber is almost a lock unless some superstar oline or something falls. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:57 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I'm hoping they have some sort of trade in the works. Otherwise they are really banking on the draft panning out in rounds 2-4. I don't want to see us reaching for linebackers. I want to see us picking best player. 

If they could just land one proven veteran at middle linebacker that they can count on, it would really open up the draft.

Completely agree with you. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Or 3 lol

Couple UDFA's perhaps a camp casualty ? 
Reply/Quote
https://mobile.twitter.com/ProFootball411

This guy who has been accurate said the Bengals have been in contact with Josh Bynes and Alec Ogletree.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Or 3 lol

I get your sentiment, but we really don't need 3 LBs.  We have Pratt, who by my eyeball test looks like he's going to be really good.  Depending on how much 3-4 and 4-3 we run, I can see us only looking for one good, traditional LB to pair with Pratt.  OLBs in 3-4 and hybrid are more or less DEs and Edge types.

(03-19-2020, 07:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd say a day two lber is almost a lock unless some superstar oline or something falls. 

Absolutely, except that I now feel like they are "pressured" to draft a LB, whereas prior to FA they had the option of signing one.  I logically understand why they chose to put their chips on Reader and Waynes, no need to get into a bidding war for a position that arguably had the worst return on investment in free agency than any other position.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Couple UDFA's perhaps a camp casualty ? 

Who knows, all I know is we are not rolling with just two LB's for very long lol

(03-19-2020, 08:02 PM)Synric Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/ProFootball411

This guy who has been accurate said the Bengals have been in contact with Josh Bynes and Alec Ogletree.

Would like both, especially Bynes. Maybe Ogletree can get back to what he was with the Rams a few years ago?
Reply/Quote
Tough year to find an impact LB. only a few in FA, already gone. Only a few in draft, hopefully one falls to 33.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who knows, all I know is we are not rolling with just two LB's for very long lol

Would like both, especially Bynes. Maybe Ogletree can get back to what he was with the Rams a few years ago?

I think you might have those two guys abilities backwards. Bynes is a 9 year vet that’s only hit 80 tackles in a season once and 4 career ints. Olgetree is a six year vet that’s only had under 80 tackles once, when he was hurt and only played 4 games and 12 career ints.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:10 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Tough year to find an impact LB. only a few in FA, already gone. Only a few in draft, hopefully one falls to 33.

They can be found in the draft, but it takes good talent evaluation, as well as being able to select players with the specific skill sets to fit what you're trying to accomplish.

Everyone gets hung up on the top few prospects, because they are the "can't miss" guys.  However, two teams in our own division quietly draft LBs in all rounds of the draft, put them on the bench and develop them into regular players.  Sure, it's not the "can't miss" and "fix now" plan, but it keeps them in steady supply at a vital position.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:42 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Im a bit shocked that no LBs have been signed....as it being the weakest position on this team

The problem with TE it was very weak in FA.. we went after the Browns LB and did not get him but from what I read Jacksonville overpaid for him.  Most of the LBs stayed with their own team.. there have been few FA LB signing with another team.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:14 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think you might have those two guys abilities backwards. Bynes is a 9 year vet that’s only hit 80 tackles in a season once and 4 career ints. Olgetree is a six year vet that’s only had under 80 tackles once, when he was hurt and only played 4 games and 12 career ints.

I don't put too much stock in PFF but Ogletree has been worse than Vigil in most of the categories the last couple years.

Heard some good things about Bynes recently. I think both would be depth signings that is, unless like I said Ogletree returns
to his ways of a couple years ago and becomes the player he should be.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't put too much stock in PFF but Ogletree has been worse than Vigil in most of the categories the last couple years.

Heard some good things about Bynes recently. I think both would be depth signings that is, unless like I said Ogletree returns
to his ways of a couple years ago and becomes the player he should be.

I’m just looking at straight stats. I’ll take the younger guys with better stats, over the older guys with worse stats. No idea what their PFF grades are.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:55 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m just looking at straight stats. I’ll take the younger guys with better stats, over the older guys with worse stats. No idea what their PFF grades are.

Schobert has had great stats but he isn't a great tackler which is why I think it was a good idea to not match the Jags offer.

Ogletree has okay stats but is a worse tackler than Vigil and isn't as good in coverage according to PFF.

Take it with a grain of salt. I do, I like Ogletree for us, he is very talented much more-so than Vigil IMO.
Reply/Quote
In the Draft, I also see Pratt and Evans making a bigger contribution this year
Reply/Quote
I say resign Vigil to a 2-year deal. I've never been as high on Vigil as others have been but he did play significantly better after Preston Brown was cut and he already has chemistry with Pratt. Good chance we take 2 LBs in the draft so having Vigil back isn't the end of the world and you can certainly do worse.

I'd definitely welcome Josh Bynes though. No thanks to Ogletree. He had one decent year with the Rams due to no one else being on the defense but he's been atrocious outside of that.
Reply/Quote