Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should be Bengals next Head Coach?!
You thinking maybe a Bill Belichek kind of career path? He was HC of Cleveland and was pretty bad and went back to being a DC. Well you know the rest of the story. That would be great, but NE has a FO committed to winning and.... well you know the rest of that story....sadly
Reply/Quote
There's some rotting, white dog shit on my lawn that I'd take over Marv at this point.

But seriously, any change would be welcome now. As long as the next HC doesn't have any close ties to Pittsburgh, I'll be happy... For the offseason at least.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2017, 01:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You thinking maybe a Bill Belichek kind of career path? He was HC of Cleveland and was pretty bad and went back to being a DC. Well you know the rest of the story. That would be great, but NE has a FO committed to winning and.... well you know the rest of that story....sadly

Yeh i think so. I think unlike some other coaches he has bided his time back in NE. Realised he wasn't ready and needed to hone his craft, I think i could get excited about McDaniels. 
Reply/Quote
There are a bunch of other threads on this...but re: McDaniels...

The Patriots have a great HC. They have a great owner. They have a great front office.

He will have none of those things here.

I'd rather look for a coach that came to a team that was similarly mismanaged to us and turned it around.
Reply/Quote
Bengals board going into the 2016 season:
Why would Hue Jackson leave a coordinator position with the Bengals to become the head coach of a god-awful franchise like the Browns?  Is he insane?  LOLZ, is he a moron, or what????

Bengals board going into the 2018 season:
Hey, do you think Josh McDaniels would leave a coordinator position with the Patriots to be the head coach of the Bengals?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
MB has a horrible track record for HCs.

I'm not saying that I prefer he stay with ML. What I am saying is, sadly, I don't trust ANYONE he picks because history tells me he won't give that person free reign, and unless that HC gets free reign ..... it will be status quo for this franchise!
Reply/Quote
I don't think to many HCs have free reign though. I think they either have GMs or owners that have a clue....
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 06:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Old, curmudgeonly disciplinarian though!

Yeah, maybe he could throw some chairs at some refs or somethin'.
Reply/Quote
Russ Grimm.

He was the line coach for the Steelers and it came down to him and Tomlin. Now he's in Tennessee, where he's turned their line around.

He's a 23-year coach with a solid record of making positions better and players like the guy. He's also a Hall of Fame player. He's been to six SBs as a coach and four of them were wins.

He sat out three years after the Arizona house cleaning because he didn't take jobs that didn't fit him. That, to me, speaks a lot. Most guys would take the job regardless of the organization, Grimm waited till the right one was there.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2017, 04:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Russ Grimm.

He was the line coach for the Steelers and it came down to him and Tomlin. Now he's in Tennessee, where he's turned their line around.

He's a 23-year coach with a solid record of making positions better and players like the guy. He's also a Hall of Fame player. He's been to six SBs as a coach and four of them were wins.

He sat out three years after the Arizona house cleaning because he didn't take jobs that didn't fit him. That, to me, speaks a lot. Most guys would take the job regardless of the organization, Grimm waited till the right one was there.

I would be all over this hire too.  Being an ex-OL, he knows what it takes to win up front and we all know what happens when we control the line of scrimmage. 

Nice pick Benton. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote

I would be onboard with this!!
Reply/Quote

Nice Benton, just the type of dude we need here. Rock On

All we have to do is turn our O-line around and we are a pretty tough team already.

A couple more moves and we are right back into the Playoffs and would actually have a shot with anybody but Marv.

Russ Grimm baby.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2017, 12:21 PM)Bengalboy Wrote: I've been thinking a lot over the last few weeks about hopefully who would i want to replace Marvin next year. My current favourite would be :

Josh McDaniel's - His career ark in many ways reminds me of the of the coaching lineage he has come from. I think his time in Denver was a big learning curve for him, and he has learnt from his mistakes and i think his next HC if in the right place, (probably not here) will be a success.

Who does everyone else fancy?

See they moved your thread here. I like Lafluer, Nagy, McDaniels, Pat Shurmur, Jim Bob Cooter and Benton's last thought Russ Grimm.

Like old Gramps said, a walking talking turnip might be better than Marv for all we know.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2017, 05:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice Benton, just the type of dude we need here. Rock On

All we have to do is turn our O-line around and we are a pretty tough team already.

A couple more moves and we are right back into the Playoffs and would actually have a shot with anybody but Marv.

Russ Grimm baby.

Agreed.

From local articles on the guy when he came, Grimm sounded pretty big on developing relationships with guys, not just putting together PowerPoints on what he was expecting. That might not easily translate to an entire team, but I think that was one of the few things Marvin actually did right here, too, in trying to bring closeness to the locker room and communicating with guys off the field.  If Grimm could get some of the players already here on the same page and improve the line, I think we'd be in good shape.
Reply/Quote

I'll allow it only if he says things like "It's CLOBBERIN' TIME!" or he refers to himself as the "ever-lovin' blue-eyed" head coach. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

I wouldn't mind any pick that focused on the o-line, and I like his division experience.

I gotta say though, I'd be weary of a 58 year old who has never been a coordinator and only got one sniff for a promotion. 10 years ago.

I'd take him a million times over anyone currently on the staff though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Some lady I worked with had a friend who either dated Russ or was good friends with him. He actually went to high school about 20 minutes away from me.
Reply/Quote

Hopefully his first move would be to shit can the Piano Man.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 12:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't mind any pick that focused on the o-line, and I like his division experience.

I gotta say though, I'd be weary of a 58 year old who has never been a coordinator and only got one sniff for a promotion. 10 years ago.

I'd take him a million times over anyone currently on the staff though.

Reasonable concern.

Just playing devil's advocate, people also scratched their head when we brought Gruden in and said it wouldn't work because of his lack of experience. And some people had written Zimmer off as HC material since he was pushing 60 and hadn't attracted a lot of attention as a HC.

(12-02-2017, 12:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some lady I worked with had a friend who either dated Russ or was good friends with him. He actually went to high school about 20 minutes away from me.

BAM! He's validated!

(12-02-2017, 12:50 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hopefully his first move would be to shit can the Piano Man.

LOL

I'm no going to lie, one of the first reasons he came to mind was the thought that Brown might like not having to pay a position coach.  I'm still PA's last defender, but I'd take Grimm as a HC and drop PA and Marvin in a second.
Reply/Quote
Today the Cincinnati Bengals announced that Marvin Lewis has been replaced as head coach from Mrs Kopeckniks kindergarten class outstanding student Fran O'Brian who has steadfastly been eating paste all year.
"Fran will supply this team with the glue to stick together in the coming years." commented owner Mike Brown.

On a side note the entire Cincinnati Bengals roster has opted for early retirement. One unnamed player citing that Fran will undoubtedly eat the glue first.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote