Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who would you pick as the Bengals first Rounder?
(03-26-2017, 10:59 PM)TKUHL Wrote: It's not a "line of thinking" it's just BPA. You can't honestly say Taco is better than Fournette, Hooker, Howard Or even Foster. You know I'm not talking QB. This team has enough holes to take BPA instead of reaching at 9 for a player ranked 3rd or 4th at their position. Just saying there is no reason to reach for a player at 9. I know there are tons of Mocks that have us taking Barnett, that dosent make him a top 10 player. They just assume we will take a DE so they slot one to us cause the top 3 are already gone. We have a chance to pick the best RB to come out in a long time, same with TE and S. So why not. We need a RB, Hill sucks and Gio might not be ready. One can argue that RB could be our biggest need right now. Eiferts always hurt not to mention both are FA's and you know how that's been going. Then we have LB, Minter is on a 1 year deal and Burfict is a FA. If we pick the best player at any of these 3 positions it makes us significantly better for this year and the years that follow.

I certainly wasn't talking about taco.  And I know you weren't thinking of drafting a qb.  I was just illustrating a point. Forgetting names for a moment, numerous others are talking about passing on a player that's third best at his position to take a number one at their position.  I'm saying if that 3rd player is still a higher ranked prospect overall it shouldn't matter that two others were already drafted. San Francisco wouldn't pass on Thomas because Garrett went before him. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 11:31 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I certainly wasn't talking about taco.  And I know you weren't thinking of drafting a qb.  I was just illustrating a point. Forgetting names for a moment, numerous others are talking about passing on a player that's third best at his position to take a number one at their position.  I'm saying if that 3rd player is still a higher ranked prospect overall it shouldn't matter that two others were already drafted. San Francisco wouldn't pass on Thomas because Garrett went before him. 

I understand what you mean. I thought you was on the Taco train. Lets hypothetically say Barnett is who you have in mind. He's a tough one for me, border line. I've seen him ranked all over the first round though. I wouldn't be mad if Barnett was the guy at 9, but if there is a guy on the board that has been a top 10 lock, best at his position and a position we can improve at, then I will get mad. Why pass. I've even heard Reddicks name being thrown around as a guy we should pick at 9. That's nuts. He's good but I think he's been way over hyped since the combine. It's all moot anyway. Nobody knows the Bengals big board. I just want a player that A. Starts day one. B Is an impact player.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 11:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If he's there at #9, I would take OSU free safety Malik Hooker.  Here is my reasoning:

He is a worthy successor to Reggie Nelson.  If 2016 proved anything, it proved the Cincinnati defense is far less effective without an outstanding free safety.

Malik Hooker's coverage skills downfield will cause opposing quarterbacks to hold onto the ball longer, giving the Bengals' front four more sack opportunities especially on third and long.  People sometimes tend to forget to factor coverage sacks into the equation.  If the front four can pressure the quarterback then linebackers can cover tight ends and running backs.

A better free safety like Malik Hooker allows the strong safety more options because he knows over the top coverage will be there.

Finally, the man is a Death Star tractor beam for footballs.
Yeah I agree. Just this one player could make a difference in three areas. Better coverage to help CBs, linebackers, and our front 4.  Also it might bring Iloka back to his usual form.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I would like Malik Hooker too, but I know the club braintrust will be thinking they already have money tied up in Shawn Williams to the tune of 4-5 million a year. And alas we are just too low in the draft order for Fournette or Garrett or Solomon Thomas.

Realistically, we need either to trade down or trade up to roughly 5 or 6 to get what we really want.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 12:29 AM)Joelist Wrote: I would like Malik Hooker too, but I know the club braintrust will be thinking they already have money tied up in Shawn Williams to the tune of 4-5 million a year. And alas we are just too low in the draft order for Fournette or Garrett or Solomon Thomas.

Realistically, we need either to trade down or trade up to roughly 5 or 6 to get what we really want.

I was really wanting Fournette. I think that was the first time I was pissed we won allowing the Panthers to pick ahead of us. I don't think Fournette gets past them if he even makes it that far.
Reply/Quote
Myles Garrett

The Browns get AJ McCarron we get the best pass rusher in the draft and most likely more picks later in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 09:07 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Know it would never happen, but I would give Browns AJ, our 9th pick and our 4th round pick for #1 pick to grab Myles Garrett. Maybe even more!

Its not so crazy AJ almost beat the Steelers while Hue was coaching in a playoff game. Mike Brown don't like helping rivals but for a dominate player in a spot we need in a passing league. They get their starting QB they got money and picks to build around him with. We got Garrett, Dunlap and Adkins pass rushing.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 10:54 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Come on Nate, you're better than that.

The last time we traded up was........

For Russell Bodine, 

Oh yeah. Hilarious  .... Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 07:45 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Mike williams... Not taking second teir of defensive ends at 9.

I don;t see Williams as a top ten pick plus he is not the type of WR we need across from AJ at that high pick.. give me more speed but i don;t see any WR going in top ten
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 12:29 AM)Joelist Wrote: I would like Malik Hooker too, but I know the club braintrust will be thinking they already have money tied up in Shawn Williams to the tune of 4-5 million a year. And alas we are just too low in the draft order for Fournette or Garrett or Solomon Thomas.

I agree with your post Joe.

You know...trading down several spots and selecting Cook might not be a bad pick. Of course, someone would have to want to trade up to our spot for that to work and I'm not sure which prospect they'd do that for.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 04:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree with your post Joe.

You know...trading down several spots and selecting Cook might not be a bad pick. Of course, someone would have to want to trade up to our spot for that to work and I'm not sure which prospect they'd do that for.

Houston needs a QB, they might trade with us to get ahead of the Clowns.

Heard the Saints are looking for a QB for the future too once Brees leaves.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:04 PM)Steve Wrote: It's like viewing art I think...different opinions...
imo if the Bengals have Barnette & Taco rated 11-12 on their board & a safety & a CB at 9 & 10 i'd go w/ the DE....either one....whether he's the 3rd DE or not to me that's irrelivent...it's all about the board...b/c in a years time no one is going to care where he was ranked.....if it was a slight reach or not....ya know...a few slots...not like a 10 slot drop...that's a reach...
Uh...Steve, are you talking to yourself?

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:13 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Uh...Steve, are you talking to yourself?

uh.....I was typing....not talking...
why...are you hearing voices..?
Reply/Quote
I like Reuben Foster as our pick....I feel he could make an impact right away !!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 03:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t see Williams as a top ten pick plus he is not the type of WR we need across from AJ at that high pick.. give me more speed but i don;t see any WR going in top ten

mike williams is being compared to plaxico burress, krenan allen, and aj green. U wouldnt take those talents at top 10? Plus he ran faster than aj green or dez bryant, depending on what time u use. I think davis and willliams go top 10. Give me a big bodies reciever over a smaller reciever. I trust williams to make a play 1 on 1 over any other reciever. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 11:10 PM)Jpoore Wrote: mike williams is being compared to plaxico burress, krenan allen, and aj green. U wouldnt take those talents at top 10? Plus he ran faster than aj green or dez bryant, depending on what time u use. I think davis and willliams go top 10. Give me a big bodies reciever over a smaller reciever. I trust williams to make a play 1 on 1 over any other reciever. 

I have not seen anyone call Williams AJ Green #2. Who said this? AJ is 6'4 runs a 4.5 forty and is a great route runner. I have never seen anyone say Williams is a great route runner either. He may be great, but he is not an AJ Green in my humble opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 11:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have not see anyone call Williams AJ Green #2. Who said this? AJ is a 4,5 WR, 6'4 runs a 4.5 forty and is a great route runner. I have never seen anyone say Williams is a great route runner either. He may be great, but he is not an AJ Green in my humble opinion.

The aj green comp was only said by one expert. There have been almost everyone who said keenan allen or plaxico burress. But mike williams is a almost 6"4 4.49 wr who excells at the deep ball. Something we need.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:46 PM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: I like Reuben Foster as our pick....I feel he could make an impact right away !!

Yes he could -- in the personal foul department. Reuben Foster is a horrible tackler because he leads with the helmet on almost every tackle he makes. If the Bengals take him, Paul Guenther has a lot of work to do. I watched film on Reuben and he rings more bells than the Hunchback of Notre Dame. He's aggressive -- That's good! -- but he's dirty. That's bad.
Reply/Quote
Everyone is talking trading down but I don't see it. What team wants the 9 pick and is willing to trade? I have wanted a true open end for the last clue years, not a strong side end playing on the open end. I have been want Barnett but I've warmed to Taco. He has ideal size and is a good athlete. If the guy they take helps our pass rush and is a good player who cares if they were graded in the mid to lower first round? I don't. This defense has lost the ability to effectively rush the passer. That has to be addressed.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 11:19 AM)bengalbiff Wrote: Everyone is talking trading down but I don't see it.  What team wants the 9 pick and is willing to trade?  I have wanted a true open end for the last clue years, not a strong side end playing on the open end.  I have been want Barnett but I've warmed to Taco.  He has ideal size and is a good athlete.  If the guy they take helps our pass rush and is a good player who cares if they were graded in the mid to lower first round?   I don't.  This defense has lost the ability to effectively rush the passer.  That has to be addressed.

Well, you have to remember that teams can (and will) fall in love with a certain prospect and then start to have delusions that another team is going to pick him.

I would bet that there are a few teams that think that they HAVE to get in front of Cincy if they want Foster or a DE because that is what the common thinking is.

I can also bet that there are a few teams that feel that they need to get in front of Cleveland at #12 to get a QB that they really want.

I could see a team trying to jump in front of Buffalo to get a CB, WR or QB.
Reply/Quote