Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(08-23-2022, 01:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is false for a couple reasons. 

Now that he has signed the tender he has to be fined for any non performance, so if he misses practices games he will be fined and lose an accrued season if it goes too long. Essentially, he has no leverage now. The other issue is he HAS to play on the tag now as the window to negotiate has ended. Even if traded to a new team he can not negotiate a new deal this league year.

Bates is playing this year on the deal and based on him moving things into his locker it will be for Cincy.

Also cant be traded till deal is signed.

If he Plays here im fine with it I just dont expect it.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 10:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am curious if they will keep 5 and consider Hill a "swing" CB until Cam Taylor Britt gets back. With Bates back in the fold it would not shock me if they don't move Hill all over the field and even let him provide some breathers on the outside at times.

Yes, Lou has already said Hill will get some looks at corner. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 10:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am curious if they will keep 5 and consider Hill a "swing" CB until Cam Taylor Britt gets back. With Bates back in the fold it would not shock me if they don't move Hill all over the field and even let him provide some breathers on the outside at times.

I'm betting we will see a heavy dose of cover 3 vs the Steelers week one... and yes I think Hill will be the #4 corner. Hill will likely have a few reps vs Freiermuth 1v1.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 01:28 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm betting we will see a heavy dose of cover 3 vs the Steelers week one... and yes I think Hill will be the #4 corner. 

This.

Hill is built more like a cornerback and he has cornerback speed.  Plus the difference between cornerback and safety is getting fuzzy.  Used to be that safeties were small LBs who needed to stop the run and be able to cover a TE, RB or maybe WR3.  Now teams are running a lot more 4 and 5 wide with alot less emphasis on the runnng game.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 01:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Also cant be traded till deal is signed.

If he Plays here im fine with it I just dont expect it.

If they trade him he can only play on the tag this year anyways with no negotiations on a long term deal until after the season. So unless there is some handshake under the table agreement with the acquiring team which technically would not be legal, I don’t see him being moved.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 02:05 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: If they trade him he can only play on the tag this year anyways with no negotiations on a long term deal until after the season. So unless there is some handshake under the table agreement with the acquiring team which technically would not be legal, I don’t see him being moved.

Agree.

This has never been a situation that got personal in anyway.  That does happen from time to time and it makes it very difficult to keep a malcontent on the roster.  But Bates has never said anything bad about the Bengals and none of our players or coaches seem to have any problems with Bates.

I think he will play well for us this year, but I doubt he will be re-signed next year.  That was kind of clear when we drafted Hill, Taylor-Britt and Anderson.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Agree.

This has never been a situation that got personal in anyway.  That does happen from time to time and it makes it very difficult to keep a malcontent on the roster.  But Bates has never said anything bad about the Bengals and none of our players or coaches seem to have any problems with Bates.

I think he will play well for us this year, but I doubt he will be re-signed next year.  That was kind of clear when we drafted Hill, Taylor-Britt and Anderson.

Yep. The writing is in the wall with the way the draft unfolded, and Jessie still wants to make his money. He'll be all in this season to maximize his value on the open market next year, while being a great mentor for the young DB's.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, no.  Here is your first comment.

"next week" is not the same as "any day"

Just give it up Sonner.  I know how to use the quote function.  You can't change what you said.

Yep last Thursday I said next week and Sunday I said any day.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 01:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is false for a couple reasons. 

Now that he has signed the tender he has to be fined for any non performance, so if he misses practices games he will be fined and lose an accrued season if it goes too long. Essentially, he has no leverage now. The other issue is he HAS to play on the tag now as the window to negotiate has ended. Even if traded to a new team he can not negotiate a new deal this league year.

Bates is playing this year on the deal and based on him moving things into his locker it will be for Cincy.

Not sure if you or someone else knows, but does the team get back any cap space for the games in which the player does not report?
I know there's the fine, but I'm not sure if that affects the cap in any way.

I'm only asking because it'd be awesome for the Bengals to get back any bit more cap they can to push toward other extensions or next season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure if you or someone else knows, but does the team get back any cap space for the games in which the player does not report?
I know there's the fine, but I'm not sure if that affects the cap in any way.

I'm only asking because it'd be awesome for the Bengals to get back any bit more cap they can to push toward other extensions or next season.

It would be credited to be used as rollover after the season. There is usually an adjustment at the end of the year of salary cap to account for injuries and such and this would fall into that. We aren't there yet though as pre season is a set per diem not held against the cap.
Reply/Quote
Amazing what Dax Hill making plays at the same position will do to end a holdout.

Never thought he was going to hold out the whole year, but I think Dax Hill looking like the Bengals wouldn't regret a thing sped up the timeline.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Can we close this thread now that Bates has officially signed? ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 03:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Amazing what Dax Hill making plays at the same position will do to end a holdout.

Do you really think Hill's play was the reason Bates ended his holdout? Imo, not a chance as this was the plan all the way. Bates was never going to pass up a year that was going to double his pay in one season compared to what he has earned in his entire NFL career thus far. There's not a single thing that would benefit Bates sitting out that would benefit him. Had he had a career regular season last year with multiple picks/ pick 6's/ tackles,TFL, etc. then quite possibly.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 02:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yep last Thursday I said next week and Sunday I said any day.

No.  That is not what happened.

Monday you said this.

(08-22-2022, 10:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac and Bates have been in constant communication. I’ve said for almost a week I expect him to join them any day.

"one day" (from Sunday to Monday) is not "almost a week"

Like I said.  give it up.  I know how to use the quote function.  You can't just lie about what you said and think people will believe you when I can post a quote showing exactly what you said.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 03:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Amazing what Dax Hill making plays at the same position will do to end a holdout.

Do you really think Hill's play was the reason Bates ended his holdout? Imo, not a chance as this was the plan all the way. Bates was never going to pass up a year that was going to double his pay in one season compared to what he has earned in his entire NFL career thus far. There's not a single thing that would benefit Bates sitting out that would benefit him. Okay, maybe had he had a career regular season last year with multiple picks/ pick 6's/ tackles,TFL, etc. then quite possibly.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  That is not what happened.

Monday you said this.

"one day" (from Sunday to Monday) is not "almost a week"

Like I said.  give it up.  I know how to use the quote function.  You can't just lie about what you said and think people will believe you when I can post a quote showing exactly what you said.

Nothing to give up. Thursday I said next week. Sunday I said any day.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 03:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Nothing to give up. Thursday I said next week. Sunday I said any day.

On Monday in this thread you claimed that you had been saying "any day" for almost a week.  So what you claim here can not possibly be true.

Just post the quotes like I have been doing.  That will end the debate.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure they planned on him reporting, but does this help clarify money available for vet cuts? With the money Rieff got, there may be a mini bidding war between contenders.
Reply/Quote
Good to see Jessie back, hopefully he has a big year for us.
Reply/Quote
After the super bowl the bengals are having a great stretch of August good news with players.
No long term injuries with starters, some good hits on 2022 draft picks and Bates back.
Bengals are on a nice roll.
Reply/Quote