Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 04:56 PM)pally Wrote:

I bet he has to do a conditioning test lol. Jessie might have skipped training camp but they are still going to make him run.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 04:04 PM)wanga Wrote: Good to see Jessie back, hopefully he has a big year for us.

Yes, this is refreshing now we can just concentrate on football. Well said Wanga, hopefully he has a great year.

He signed earlier than I thought he would so I guess he wanted to practice against the Rams and all next week leading 
up to the opener against the steelers.

(08-23-2022, 04:39 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: After the super bowl the bengals are having a great stretch of August good news with players.
No long term injuries with starters, some good hits on 2022 draft picks and Bates back.  
Bengals are on a nice roll.

True, we are in a lot better spot than last year at this time. We lost a Ossai for the year and a few others got hurt big time
and weren't able to really contribute. We have rested our starters and got our backups tons of snaps, the only thing I can 
really complain about is keeping Allen if we do over Browning. I also want us to get Plitt on the PS.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 03:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: On Monday in this thread you claimed that you had been saying "any day" for almost a week.  So what you claim here can not possibly be true.

Just post the quotes like I have been doing.  That will end the debate.

My first was on Thursday. I said next week. When it got here I said any day. It’s not hard Fred Fart
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Thursday Fred Fart

(08-19-2022, 04:45 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’ll be back next week. I expect he’ll play bd the Rams. They are gearing up the matchup vs the Rams to be the one’s only real test of preseason. There won’t be tackling to the ground but everything else will be full go. Bates will play. I think all the starters will play.

(08-21-2022, 11:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hill has looked really good so far, in my opinion.
I'd be satisfied with him starting at FS this year if Bates hasn't returned.
Hill is playing fast, he's attacking the ball carrier, and he's making plays in the passing game.
He's what I expected he'd be.

Yesterday Fred Fart

(08-22-2022, 10:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac and Bates have been in constant communication. I’ve said for almost a week I expect him to join them any day.

(08-22-2022, 10:18 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This 1000 times. I bet he signs the franchise tag this week and is in camp for the LA practices. There’s been great communication between Bates and the staff. They know his plan. He’s protecting himself by avoiding injury as much as possible as you noted. There is a business element to pro football. Sometimes it rears it’s ugly head. The staff is professional. They don’t get involved. They know his timeline and are planning accordingly.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 04:56 PM)pally Wrote:

Definitely going to be doing a lot of running the next two weeks.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 06:23 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Definitely going to be doing a lot of running the next two weeks.

He'll be activated next week.  This allows them to carry 1 more player into the last preseason game

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 09:21 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Again so many issues with your take. 

#1 Just because the NFLPA negotiated the tag amount does not mean a player has to sign the tag.  Bates never said he had an issue with the amount the tag paid.

Of course he didn't, but you think he wouldn't have signed it if it was $20 million?  The amount mattered.  Duh.  

#2. You are not taking into account important dates.  The draft is well before the July 15th cutoff date to negotiate new contracts for tagged players.

And the Bengals knew after two failed attempts over two years they were at an impass...before the draft. 

#3 Bates is not sitting out the entire season.  Nobody cares what is leaked from the agents, it is all negotiating tactics that we see every off season amongst various teams.

It wasn't leaked... Bates said it himself.  Big difference.

#4 The Bengals history of honoring contracts has zero to do with Bates' desire for more guaranteed money.   Not to mention we just broke a contract with a very expensive injured player this past season...

It has everything to do with it.   

#5. You have no idea what the offer was from the Bengals other than the guaranteed amount, no one does, as it has never been released.

It was released.  

#6 Why are you trying to convince me Bates shouldnt want more guaranteed money since others didnt get it?  That has zero relevance to Bates own deal and I have never advocated for overpaying Bates - but I do understand the situation.

It's called understanding who you work for.

#7.What a weird take to think that Bates is concerned about the guaranteed aspect due to his reputation... seriously?  I enjoy and agree with most of your posts but this makes zero sense?

I agree Bates and Hill will be very enjoyable and hopefully Bates plays lights out for us this season.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 09:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How much did the Bengals offer and how much was guaranteed.

This is where the BS began...It was "only $4 million more than the $13 million guaranteed from the Franchise tag.  But it was a 5 year extension.

So, if the Bengals offered Jessie a 5 year deal, and only guaranteed his contract for one year, you can surmise that the total amount to be paid out over the 5 years would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of $75 million over five years.  

I came up with that number based on two of the most recent contracts that the Bengals offered:

Hendrickson 4 years, 60 million, $15 million guaranteed
Reader 4 years, 53 million, $20 million guaranteed

SO, if Bates was guaranteed $17 million (essentially one season plus some signing bonus) and it was a FIVE year extension, you can bet it averaged out around $15 million per year.

Of course, none of the Florio's of the world spent ANY time on that side of things....It was all "Only $4 million more guaranteed than the Franchise Tag.  Such BS.  Bates could have been in the neighborhood of $75 million over the next 5 years but didn't like only $17 million guaranteed on a team that almost always honors their contracts.  Instead, it is "Bengals are cheap, blah, blah, blah...".  

And one point I keep coming back to:  Why does Bates feel he is entitled to not only more money than the likes of Reader, Hendrickson, etc., but a larger guarantee?  He certainly hasn't performed above the level of a Hendrickson or Reader, let alone Chido or Hilton.  
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bates is walking 100%

He was basically an insurance plan for the draft.
Hill will (and likely should) take over for Bates after this year.

Bell is the one the Bengals need to be focused on retaining now.

Saw it the same way.

Bates wouldn’t sign a deal last season, and again, this season.  Bengals had no choice but to find his replacement.  Bates has made his intentions quite clear.

Agree on Bell, too!
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 09:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is where the BS began...It was "only $4 million more than the $13 million guaranteed from the Franchise tag.  But it was a 5 year extension.

So, if the Bengals offered Jessie a 5 year deal, and only guaranteed his contract for one year, you can surmise that the total amount to be paid out over the 5 years would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of $75 million over five years.  

I came up with that number based on two of the most recent contracts that the Bengals offered:

SO, if Bates was guaranteed $17 million (essentially one season plus some signing bonus) and it was a FIVE year extension, you can bet it averaged out around $15 million per year.

Of course, none of the Florio's of the world spent ANY time on that side of things....It was all "Only $4 million more guaranteed than the Franchise Tag.  Such BS.  Bates could have been in the neighborhood of $75 million over the next 5 years but didn't like only $17 million guaranteed on a team that almost always honors their contracts.  Instead, it is "Bengals are cheap, blah, blah, blah...".  

And one point I keep coming back to:  Why does Bates feel he is entitled to not only more money than the likes of Reader, Hendrickson, etc., but a larger guarantee?  He certainly hasn't performed above the level of a Hendrickson or Reader, let alone Chido or Hilton.  

Applause!
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, this is refreshing now we can just concentrate on football. Well said Wanga, hopefully he has a great year.

He signed earlier than I thought he would so I guess he wanted to practice against the Rams and all next week leading 
up to the opener against the steelers.

True, we are in a lot better spot than last year at this time. We lost a Ossai for the year and a few others got hurt big time
and weren't able to really contribute. We have rested our starters and got our backups tons of snaps, the only thing I can 
really complain about is keeping Allen if we do over Browning. I also want us to get Plitt on the PS.

Can’t understand keeping Allen over Browning, either. They say it’s because Allen knows the playbook and has a good relationship with Burrow.  Why not give Browning the same opportunity.  I doubt very seriously Browning is going to PO Joe.  Love to see Plitt on the PS.  I would be surprised if someone didn’t see his film and put him on their roster, though. We can only hope he sticks around, though.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 09:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is where the BS began...It was "only $4 million more than the $13 million guaranteed from the Franchise tag.  But it was a 5 year extension.

ClappingClappingClappingClapping
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 09:36 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Can’t understand keeping Allen over Browning, either. They say it’s because Allen knows the playbook and has a good relationship with Burrow.  Why not give Browning the same opportunity.  I doubt very seriously Browning is going to PO Joe.  Love to see Plitt on the PS.  I would be surprised if someone didn’t see his film and put him on their roster, though. We can only hope he sticks around, though.

No doubt. Plus I saw Browning talking a lot with Burrow on the sideline last game when Allen was in.

I hope this is a sign that they have become good friends just the same as Burrow and Allen.

I like that Browning can run like Burrow and he CAN throw on the run which might be needed if our OL isn't quite as good in 
pass protection as it will be in run blocking which is what I expect. All these guys are an upgrade over what we had last season
in pass protection except for maybe LG in pass protection but they are all much better run blockers, by like a giant amount.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 10:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: ClappingClappingClappingClapping

Yes, SHRacer nailed it. Mellow Clapping
Reply/Quote
So this Steelers game...Minkah is an elite safety. Paid elite safety money.

Does anyone think Bates should be paid as a Top 5 safety?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So this Steelers game...Minkah is an elite safety. Paid elite safety money.

Does anyone think Bates should be paid as a Top 5 safety?

Did Bates play? I don't think I ever heard his name.  I heard Dax only got a few plays so I'm assuming Bates was in most of the game.  I'm pretty sure he didn't have a pick six and a blocked PAT
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:01 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Did Bates play? I don't think I ever heard his name.  I heard Dax only got a few plays so I'm assuming Bates was in most of the game.  I'm pretty sure he didn't have a pick six and a blocked PAT

Bates played. I think I read that Dax had 6 snaps.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 09:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hendrickson 4 years, 60 million, $15 million guaranteed

Your math fails.

Based on this logic if Reader got $20 million guaranteed then he would be getting $80 million over 4 years instead of $53 million.

The fact that Reader got $7 million less total but $5 million more guaranteed shows that you can't predict the total contract value based on years and guaranteed amount.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Your math fails.

Based on this logic if Reader got $20 million guaranteed then he would be getting $80 million over 4 years instead of $53 million.

The fact that Reader got $7 million less total but $5 million more guaranteed shows that you can't predict the total contract value based on years and guaranteed amount.

Your math fails.  Read my post again:  I took the average of the two bonuses and projected the total amount from there.  

"Hendrickson 4 years, 60 million, $15 million guaranteed

SO, if Bates was guaranteed $17 million (essentially one season plus some signing bonus) and it was a FIVE year extension, you can bet it averaged out around $15 million per year."

If you take the average yearly income from the two different contracts, you get just over $14 million per season.  I would have imagined the average income of Bates contract to come out of the high side of that at around $15 million.  What contract have the Bengals written that shows you different calculations?  
Reply/Quote