Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will We Make a Trade Today?
this team needs a legit 3rd target like no ones business.
teams can put their best CB on Boyd and double AJ.
meanwhile Andy checks down to Erickson for a 4 yd gain tackled by the practice squad LB just called up
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 05:30 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The issue lies somewhat on Lazor. The Bengals are 14th in YPC but 25th in attempts. Meanwhile, they are 9th in passing attempts, but 21st in YPA (19th in total passing yards per game).

Lazor struggles to call a balanced game. The Bengals have a 4.4 YPC with Mixon averaging 4.8 YPC. He is a game changer, he just doesn't see consistent attempts.

As for the second half, that's 100% on coaching. The adjustments are made by opponents but not as much by Cinci.

This tells a lot, thanks KG.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 04:46 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I don’t buy this one bit. Both AJ and Boyd are capable of taking over a game. Add in an effective run game (which we have) & all the pieces are there.

2 receiving options are enough? Wow
Reply/Quote
Since we are at mid-season with a 5 - 3 record, I can understand why many believe we have a chance to be successful this year. And we have seen 'some' success with the improvement we've made over the last two years. There is an 800 lb. gorilla in the room however.

A new DC. A new offensive scheme. A new Oline coach, plus a few other new coaches. An 80% new Oline. This is a sort-it-out year at best IF the goal is win the SB. Tap your memories guys, and you'll recall several discussions on here about how NEXT year is realistically OUR year, not this one. We had too many holes to fill going into this year, and didn't get it done. Especially on the Oline and linebackers. All above variables existed before the season started.

Bring on the injuries, Burfict's annual contribution to the "Why we won't" list, a defensive approach that has yet to settle in, plus we still have the Mike and Marvin Show and my first question is 'Why are people's expectations so high for this year?' We aren't close enough to THE goal to think about making a trade or two, and expect much of a difference.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Since we are at mid-season with a 5 - 3 record, I can understand why many believe we have a chance to be successful this year. And we have seen 'some' success with the improvement we've made over the last two years. There is an 800 lb. gorilla in the room however.

A new DC. A new offensive scheme. A new Oline coach, plus a few other new coaches. An 80% new Oline. This is a sort-it-out year at best IF the goal is win the SB. Tap your memories guys, and you'll recall several discussions on here about how NEXT year is realistically OUR year, not this one. We had too many holes to fill going into this year, and didn't get it done. Especially on the Oline and linebackers. For the reasons stated above, all above variables existed before the season started.

Bring on the injuries, Burfict's annual contribution to the "Why we won't" list, a defensive approach that has yet to settle in, plus we still have the Mike and Marvin Show and my first question is 'Why are people's expectations so high for this year?'
You mean our normal slogan,theres always next year?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:07 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: 2 receiving options are enough? Wow

No. But two game changing receivers should be & that’s the point. Most teams have one receiving threat and/or running threat. We have all 3. So another receiver is not a need.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Since we are at mid-season with a 5 - 3 record, I can understand why many believe we have a chance to be successful this year. And we have seen 'some' success with the improvement we've made over the last two years. There is an 800 lb. gorilla in the room however.

A new DC. A new offensive scheme. A new Oline coach, plus a few other new coaches. An 80% new Oline. This is a sort-it-out year at best IF the goal is win the SB. Tap your memories guys, and you'll recall several discussions on here about how NEXT year is realistically OUR year, not this one. We had too many holes to fill going into this year, and didn't get it done. Especially on the Oline and linebackers. All above variables existed before the season started.

Bring on the injuries, Burfict's annual contribution to the "Why we won't" list, a defensive approach that has yet to settle in, plus we still have the Mike and Marvin Show and my first question is 'Why are people's expectations so high for this year?'  We aren't close enough to THE goal to think about making a trade or two, and expect much of a difference.

My question is how can anyone's' expectations be high anymore. Its a travesty that Marvin is still head coach as Mike Brown wears some local horse farm's hat on the Bengals only SNF game on NBC.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't mind not making trades. We have multiple injured guys coming back to play and I would rather keep picks( especially in the top 100) then trade them away.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:11 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: You mean our normal slogan,theres always next year?

Not at all. We simply need more than one off season to correct all of the problems facing this team. Apparently you just forgot how bad the team was last year, and how many areas needed a lot of work.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
So it's as easy as that? You say I'm gonna make a trade. I need a LB, a RG and a TE so I'm just gonna go do it. Bingo. Easy peezy.

With it being so simple, I get it, I get the logic that if you don't make a trade, that automatically means you don't want to win. Just connect the dots-if you want to make a trade, no problem, nothing to it. If you don't make a trade, you don't care about winning.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: My question is how can anyone's' expectations be high anymore. Its a travesty that Marvin is still head coach as Mike Brown wears some local horse farm's hat on the Bengals only SNF game on NBC.

I'm all for giving Marv all the criticism he deserves.  But there is the fact that a year ago at the halfway point, we were 3-5 and going absolutely nowhere.  This year, with a tough schedule and a very beat up team--5-3.  I know, Mike, is that you?   Maybe I just believe in telling the whole story.  I seem to remember  lot of season predictions that topped out at 5 wins or less.  Yet now, halfway through the season, 5-3 suxx.  Hmm.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I’m not going to get too worked up. Knew we wouldn’t do anything. Hoping for the best to get as many guys off the injury report as possible.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't mind not making trades. We have multiple injured guys coming back to play and I would rather keep picks( especially in the top 100)  then trade them away.

I spose...but for all we talk about how massively talented this team is you'd think we would be thinking more quality than quantity with the picks.

(10-30-2018, 07:10 PM)McC Wrote: So it's as easy as that?  You say I'm gonna make a trade.  I need  a LB, a RG and a TE so I'm just gonna go do it.  Bingo.  Easy peezy.

With it being so simple, I get it, I get the logic that if you don't make a trade, that automatically means you don't want to win.  Just connect the dots-if you want to make a trade, no problem, nothing to it.  If you don't make a trade, you don't care about winning.

In all fairness, there is ample evidence spanning nearly 30 years to show that Mike Brown doesn't put a priority on winning.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 05:03 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We rank near bottom in run game.

(10-30-2018, 05:30 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The issue lies somewhat on Lazor. The Bengals are 14th in YPC but 25th in attempts. Meanwhile, they are 9th in passing attempts, but 21st in YPA (19th in total passing yards per game).

Lazor struggles to call a balanced game. The Bengals have a 4.4 YPC with Mixon averaging 4.8 YPC. He is a game changer, he just doesn't see consistent attempts.

As for the second half, that's 100% on coaching. The adjustments are made by opponents but not as much by Cinci.

The issue lies with Marvin Lewis, IMO. We've mostly been good about getting carries to guys like Mixon and Gio, but we don't get other RB's involved enough. Consider this: Mixon is currently on pace for 280 carries (if he played 16 games). That'd be a very healthy total. Our issue is we're not getting other RB's involved enough, which has been a problem for many years. If you have 3 RB's on the roster, there's no reason not to get that 3rd guy some touches. Instead, Marv always puts that 3rd guy in moth balls.

(10-30-2018, 06:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't mind not making trades. We have multiple injured guys coming back to play and I would rather keep picks( especially in the top 100)  then trade them away.

I'm not saying we should give out picks like candy, but at some point you have to value the present. This core of players (Andy, AJ, Atkins, Dunlap) are all around 30. I'd say 1 year of contending with that group is more valuable than a typical 4th round pick. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:30 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The issue lies with Marvin Lewis, IMO. We've mostly been good about getting carries to guys like Mixon and Gio, but we don't get other RB's involved enough. Consider this: Mixon is currently on pace for 280 carries (if he played 16 games). That'd be a very healthy total. Our issue is we're not getting other RB's involved enough, which has been a problem for many years. If you have 3 RB's on the roster, there's no reason not to get that 3rd guy some touches. Instead, Marv always puts that 3rd guy in moth balls.

I'm not saying we should give out picks like candy, but at some point you have to value the present. This core of players (Andy, AJ, Atkins, Dunlap) are all around 30. I'd say 1 year of contending with that group is more valuable than a typical 4th round pick. 
Where getting Vigil, Vontaz, Dennard back on defense. That should give us a spark especially considering Vigil and Vontaz haven't been on the field that much. We also get Ross,  Price, and Bernard back on offense which should make our offense better especially Price and Bernard. The only guy who I would have wanted was Fowler of the people that were traded and I would have looked into Brate from Tampa.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 10:14 PM)McC Wrote: I'm all for giving Marv all the criticism he deserves.  But there is the fact that a year ago at the halfway point, we were 3-5 and going absolutely nowhere.  This year, with a tough schedule and a very beat up team--5-3.  I know, Mike, is that you?   Maybe I just believe in telling the whole story.  I seem to remember  lot of season predictions that topped out at 5 wins or less.  Yet now, halfway through the season, 5-3 suxx.  Hmm.

I remember those predictions. I thought we would win 12 games and lose in the Playoffs.

This could still happen and would be a major improvement from last year. Next year does seem the year as we can
fill in the rest of the holes. It is pretty unrealistic to think we were going to trade for all these holes at this time.

This isn't Madden.

(10-30-2018, 10:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’m not going to get too worked up. Knew we wouldn’t do anything. Hoping for the best to get as many guys off the injury report as possible.

Yeah, we have a lot of talented players going to be coming back from injury after the bye and hopefully with Vigil
coming back and Dennard we will be much better on D. Price and Gio should really help the Offense.

Honestly the thing we need the most is for the players we currently have to improve. Namely Evans and Preston in
the LB core. Burfict needs to pull his head out of his ass too. That was some sad effort by him in the Chiefs game.

Evans is still young, Preston is in a new system and has made some plays, 2 ints etc.

(10-31-2018, 01:30 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The issue lies with Marvin Lewis, IMO. We've mostly been good about getting carries to guys like Mixon and Gio, but we don't get other RB's involved enough. Consider this: Mixon is currently on pace for 280 carries (if he played 16 games). That'd be a very healthy total. Our issue is we're not getting other RB's involved enough, which has been a problem for many years. If you have 3 RB's on the roster, there's no reason not to get that 3rd guy some touches. Instead, Marv always puts that 3rd guy in moth balls.

Great points as usual Shake. I still don't understand why Marv sabotages his own team sticking his nose in the
Offense. I have never understood this, if i was a Defensive minded coach that is where i would put my 2 cents.

And yes, the window is closing and we will have to Draft to replace some of these studs we have soon.
Reply/Quote
The window is closing because the window will always close. This team relies almost entirely on drafting which is asking too much of any team. The coaches overall are not good enough to 'coach up' in every area (again probably too much too ask), the team does not get rid of weak draft picks fast enough and they don't supplement the roster with enough non-drafted players through any means. So when we have a few really good drafts in a row we can really build a nice core but the team never builds off that through other means. Then when we have a few weak drafts the window starts closing.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote

Spot on !

Marvin is notorious for not getting anybody down the depth chart involved very much if at all. And the habit of still being in games and abandoning the run just irks me to no end.

This core group is running out of time and fast ! If not now, when ? This building for the future is a lost cause. And how many of the holy grail comp picks have ever done anything (much) to help this team get over the hump ? one ?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 12:50 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The window is closing because the window will always close. This team relies almost entirely on drafting which is asking too much of any team. The coaches overall are not good enough to 'coach up' in every area (again probably too much too ask), the team does not get rid of weak draft picks fast enough and they don't supplement the roster with enough non-drafted players through any means. So when we have a few really good drafts in a row we can really build a nice core but the team never builds off that through other means. Then when we have a few weak drafts the window starts closing.

Yup,

The draft is always a crap shoot, always will be. You have to plug holes thru other means while you still have your core. This one is quickly wasting away !
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 12:50 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The window is closing because the window will always close. This team relies almost entirely on drafting which is asking too much of any team. The coaches overall are not good enough to 'coach up' in every area (again probably too much too ask), the team does not get rid of weak draft picks fast enough and they don't supplement the roster with enough non-drafted players through any means. So when we have a few really good drafts in a row we can really build a nice core but the team never builds off that through other means. Then when we have a few weak drafts the window starts closing.

I agree with just about everything except the bolded part.  If we listened to fans we would have cut Dre Kirkpatrick, Andre Smith, and Darquez Dennard before they had a chance to become valuable starters.

Building through the draft is actually very smart, but when you get a solid core and have a shot to compete for a championship you have to step up and take a chance on a top quality free agent or two to shore up weak spots.  That is where the Bengals fail.
Reply/Quote