Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor's Play Calling In OT Was Unforgivable
(12-15-2021, 06:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: A quote from Zac on the Bengals website:

Zac is referring to Burrow and demonstrating awareness of situational football with his reflections about the OT play calling. It is unfortunate you are struggling to do the same. During OT, the series of offensive plays leading to the FG resulted in the 49'ers getting the ball back and winning. Had Zac decided to immediately let Burrow take a shot at a TD, the result might have been a Bengals win without the 49'ers getting to control the outcome. 

I don't want to read to much into a quote as I don't know if it was said right after the game or if he worded it correctly. But he says he " should have given Joe 2nd and 3rd down to get a Touchdown" which is correct that is a possibility but we were on the 26 we could of picked up a couple of 1st downs. Maybe that's nothing but it could speak to his mindset that you either score a TD or get the field goal. I would be curious to see that 3rd and 3 play and see what routes we ran. Because that line of thinking actually makes those last few plays make sense. If Taylor was thinking run twice get even closer for the field goal then take 1 shot at the endzone and if you don't get it kick the field goal. Not saying thats good logic if thats what he was thinking or that I agree with it because I don't but curious if thats what that quote is showing of his mindset.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 07:37 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't want to read to much into a quote as I don't know if it was said right after the game or if he worded it correctly. But he says he " should have given Joe 2nd and 3rd down to get a Touchdown" which is correct that is a possibility but we were on the 26 we could of picked up a couple of 1st downs. Maybe that's nothing but it could speak to his mindset that you either score a TD or get the field goal. I would be curious to see that 3rd and 3 play and see what routes we ran. Because that line of thinking actually makes those last few plays make sense. If Taylor was thinking run twice get even closer for the field goal then take 1 shot at the endzone and if you don't get it kick the field goal. Not saying thats good logic if thats what he was thinking or that I agree with it because I don't but curious if thats what that quote is showing of his mindset.

Not giving you crap, I promise! But you really need to get on Twitter if you aren't and go an follow a bunch of Bengal fans that break down tape.

Actually, everyone should; you learn so much and see so many things that you don't see, during the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Do you even have a point?

The Bengals defense was just a shot as Burrow except our defense had kept the Niners out of the endzone for an entire half while Joe had only got warmed up over the final quarter.

The point is, it was highly unlikely they were gonna hold them scoreless there... And it happend.. That's the point. You go for the TD and don't even give them a chance..
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 07:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not giving you crap, I promise! But you really need to get on Twitter if you aren't and go an follow a bunch of Bengal fans that break down tape.

Actually, everyone should; you learn so much and see so many things that you don't see, during the game.

I'm not on twitter. But I should I really enjoy some of the breakdowns i've seen. I'll check Ben Baby's twitter during the week for player updates. He also posts some play breakdowns which are informative. The Bengals seemed to have several 3rd and shorts were Burrow held the ball too long and would get a sack. With out seeing the whole field you don't know if its just coverage or long developing routes or both.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 08:09 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm not on twitter. But I should I really enjoy some of the breakdowns i've seen. I'll check Ben Baby's twitter during the week for player updates. He also posts some play breakdowns which are informative. The Bengals seemed to have several 3rd and shorts were Burrow held the ball too long and would get a sack. With out seeing the whole field you don't know if its just coverage or long developing routes or both.

Mike Santagata is awesome (@bengals_sans), he breaks down 2 dozen+ plays a week, from the previous week's game and literally starts like 2 hours after the game has finished, sometimes. As his profile isn't private, I don't even think you would need to sign up to Twitter, as you can still view all the clips he breaks down.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:28 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So because he didn't use the exact word "mistake" you want to make the claim forum posters are wrong for saying Zac took accountability? Zac said he wished he threw on 1st down in OT at the 26 and that not riding Burrow's hot hand will keep him up. I suppose I'll concede a technicality to you that he didn't say mistake, but I'm good with the interpretation that Zac is acknowledging a coaching mistake. 

Anyhow, I've lost track of your point in this thread. You don't want people criticizing Zac the losing coach or you don't want people taking solace in Zac expressing he second guessed his poor OT coaching?

Edit: Or you don't like people not directly quoting Zac?

It has nothing to do with "exact words". He clearly explained why it was NOT a mistake to call a run; it's what the D gave us.

I invite rational discussion about the future of Zac and I've mentioned numerous times that our lack of executing early in games is concerning. But he did not state he made a mistake as people, for some reason, try to assert and it damn sure wasn't unforgivable. We were ahead of the chains with a 3rd and 3. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I didn’t like running it on first AND second down either but as usual people are overreacting.

One year Zac is bashed for abandoning the run, throwing a ton, getting Burrow hit too much. This year, it’s the opposite. Why is he sticking with the run?! It isn’t very effective! He should have given up on that way earlier. Let Burrow throw it all day!

His play calling is unforgivable? His play calling moved us down field into FG position. His play calling got us the lead in OT in a game where he had fewer offensive possessions than the opponent. In a game where Chase dropped a TD and a would be conversion on the first drive that likely would have lead to 3 if not 7 points.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 08:58 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I didn’t like running it on first AND second down either but as usual people are overreacting.

One year Zac is bashed for abandoning the run, throwing a ton, getting Burrow hit too much. This year, it’s the opposite. Why is he sticking with the run?! It isn’t very effective! He should have given up on that way earlier. Let Burrow throw it all day!

His play calling is unforgivable? His play calling moved us down field into FG position. His play calling got us the lead in OT in a game where he had fewer offensive possessions than the opponent. In a game where Chase dropped a TD and a would be conversion on the first drive that likely would have lead to 3 if not 7 points.

I agree with everything you say here. BUT? I might have did things differently. Mixon really wasn't having a good game and he was suffering from an illness (which I didn't see reported but FF updates said he was battling an illness non covid related). Based on those 2 reasons, I question the calls.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno Cards..... I'm looking squarely at Darius Phillips and Money Mac today. One gave the opponent 10 points, one left three points on the field. If either of them do their job, we likely don't even go to OT.

Those are definitely are part of the equation along with Bells taunting. 

Not sure 46 yd FG's are a given though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 08:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It has nothing to do with "exact words". He clearly explained why it was NOT a mistake to call a run; it's what the D gave us.

I invite rational discussion about the future of Zac and I've mentioned numerous times that our lack of executing early in games is concerning. But he did not state he made a mistake as people, for some reason, try to assert and it damn sure wasn't unforgivable. We were ahead of the chains with a 3rd and 3. 

From the Bengals website with quotes from Zac:

Quote:"Two things can be true," Taylor said Monday. "You can believe in your run game and your running back and offense line and you can also put the ball in your quarterback's hands because in 15 years we think this guy, we think we are going to look back and he's going to be a Hall of Fame type quarterback. Give him a chance to win the game."

So, yeah. Instead of run running back Joe Mixon on second down from the 49ers 22 for three yards, Taylor would have taken a shot if he had to do it again.
And, let's face it. With four wild games left, he probably will.
"Put the ball in his hands. Give him the second down and third down to go get the touchdown and maybe you walk off the game with a walk-off touchdown and the game is over," Taylor said.

Zac's reflection demonstrates awareness he might have chosen to pass instead of run. He's using qualifying phrases like "Two things can be true" to absolve himself of the mistake, or what you see as him clearly explaining why it was not a mistake. He's also simultaneously admitting the mistake by saying he could have given Burrow the chance to win. It's a bit pretentious to imply you're having rational discussion and others are not because a difference of opinion exists about Zac's actions and words. Just because you've convinced yourself you are right, it doesn't give you liberty to state others are irrational. I too invite rationale discussion and that comprises not persisting someone else's views are wrong based on a difference of opinion. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:32 PM)Earendil Wrote: I think that's just part of being a Bengals fan.

They haven't had a bad snap on a field goal in a very long time and yet I half expect it every single time.

Well now we know it’s for sure happening this Sunday. Thanks a lot Earendil!

(12-15-2021, 07:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not giving you crap, I promise! But you really need to get on Twitter if you aren't and go an follow a bunch of Bengal fans that break down tape.

(12-15-2021, 08:39 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Mike Santagata is awesome (@bengals_sans), he breaks down 2 dozen+ plays a week, from the previous week's game and literally starts like 2 hours after the game has finished, sometimes. As his profile isn't private, I don't even think you would need to sign up to Twitter, as you can still view all the clips he breaks down.

I can confirm you are able to watch all his clips without having Twitter (I don’t). He’s the best there is, imo.

I also like the stuff Matt Minich puts up.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 07:37 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't want to read to much into a quote as I don't know if it was said right after the game or if he worded it correctly. But he says he " should have given Joe 2nd and 3rd down to get a Touchdown" which is correct that is a possibility but we were on the 26 we could of picked up a couple of 1st downs. Maybe that's nothing but it could speak to his mindset that you either score a TD or get the field goal. I would be curious to see that 3rd and 3 play and see what routes we ran. Because that line of thinking actually makes those last few plays make sense. If Taylor was thinking run twice get even closer for the field goal then take 1 shot at the endzone and if you don't get it kick the field goal. Not saying thats good logic if thats what he was thinking or that I agree with it because I don't but curious if thats what that quote is showing of his mindset.

I thinking he's reflecting on what plays he ran-- the Mixon runs-- and the alternative of letting Burrow takes shots at throwing a game winning TD. He's not directly, which is apparently very important to posters here to have acknowledged, saying, "I made a mistake." He's giving enough perspective about the passing option and saying how his own hindsight of not letting Burrow throw was going to cost him sleep. This is the admittance of the mistake. No dude is going to say, "No, I didn't make a mistake" and then say, "but not throwing it is going to cost me sleep." That's illogical thinking. One doesn't have to be overly brilliant to catch on to what Zac was saying. He explained his decision and offered why it was wrong. I appreciate Zac discussing it and sharing his feelings about it rather than stubbornly insisting he was completely right.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: He does, but he's had some misses too, even XPs. He's a rookie though, so I'm not concerned at all, yet. Just pointing out that special teams were pretty bad Sunday.

Special teams were really bad and certainly cost the Bengals big time. 

Yet still the game went to OT with a chance for the Bengals to win despite the fumbles, missed 46 yd fg, Bates drop, and taunting call that all were not helpful at all. 

But thought this thread was more about the play calls when the game was all knotted up at the end ? 

Would think how bad the special teams had played this day as you've that maybe Zac may want to take ST's out of the equation and go for the gusto actually. 

Will add that the Bengals only scored 2 TD's on the 49ers in this game and threw the ball 11 out of 13 plays on those 4th quarter drives that found pay dirt . 

Love McPhearson but some on here would say that Evan has almost the exact same % stats as Fat Randy, which I find laughable but one does have a 84% and the other a 83.2% success rate. 

Now I am actually still on the fence with Zac and think that adding a play caller may be all that is necessary and willing to give him another year to find out myself. But still did not like those play calls, maybe one because the defense baited them into it but not back to back when the other team has shut down the run all day long. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 07:47 PM)Tony Wrote: The point is, it was highly unlikely they were gonna hold them scoreless there...

We had not allowed a TD the entire second half.  Please explain why it was highly unlikely that we would stop them again?

You just make up stuff in your head and claim it is true with nothing to back it up.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 11:02 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I thinking he's reflecting on what plays he ran-- the Mixon runs-- and the alternative of letting Burrow takes shots at throwing a game winning TD. He's not directly, which is apparently very important to posters here to have acknowledged, saying, "I made a mistake." He's giving enough perspective about the passing option and saying how his own hindsight of not letting Burrow throw was going to cost him sleep. This is the admittance of the mistake. No dude is going to say, "No, I didn't make a mistake" and then say, "but not throwing it is going to cost me sleep." That's illogical thinking. One doesn't have to be overly brilliant to catch on to what Zac was saying. He explained his decision and offered why it was wrong. I appreciate Zac discussing it and sharing his feelings about it rather than stubbornly insisting he was completely right.

Zac would have also lost sleep if he had allowed Burrow to throw and it led to an interception.

So, no, he was not admitting that he made a mistake.  He was just admitting that it was a tough decision.
Reply/Quote