Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
With Ivanka Trump’s Blessing, White House Ditches Equal Pay Rule
(09-05-2017, 11:28 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If they bring something to the table that I need and beyond what others bring then yes they make more.

(09-04-2017, 01:16 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Everyone of my employees start out at the same rate

So if they bring something extra you pay them more. But, all your employees start out at the same rate. Therefore, you don't pay more if they bring extra because . . . wait for it . . . they all start out at the same rate. If they all start out at the same rate you've never paid extra to anyone. Just more BS as usual.
(09-06-2017, 01:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not sure why you keep posting on this thread.  You obviously have never worked a job where you negotiated your own wage.   If you come to the negotiation with nothing you will only get what is given to you.   If you come prepared then you get paid more .

Namely because a "business owner" said he pays everyone the same...unless they ask...and then only if they have some special skill he is looking for.

Which is completely different than saying an employee should just negotiate his starting salary.

No one has said if one employee has a certain skill that separates them from another employee that they should be paid more.  Equal though is equal without that.

Did that sink in?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-06-2017, 01:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Namely because a "business owner" said he pays everyone the same...unless they ask...and then only if they have some special skill he is looking for.

Which is completely different than saying an employee should just negotiate his starting salary.

No one has said if one employee has a certain skill that separates them from another employee that they should be paid more.  Equal though is equal without that.

Did that sink in?

If someone like you walks in who obviously has no idea how to negotiate for themselves then yes you will just sign the whatever is placed in front of you. Which begs the question how valuable are you in the first place.

Having skills is what separates applicants. It's also what separates people in pay and title.

If I interview someone and they do not try and negotiate their pay then red flags are raised.
(09-06-2017, 01:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Namely because a "business owner" said he pays everyone the same...unless they ask...and then only if they have some special skill he is looking for.

Did that sink in?

(09-06-2017, 01:16 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If someone like you walks in who obviously has no idea how to negotiate for themselves then yes you will just sign the whatever is placed in front of you.    Which begs the question how valuable are you in the first place.  

Having skills is what separates applicants.    It's also what separates people in pay and title.    

If I interview someone and they do not try and negotiate their pay then red flags are raised.

Nope.  Guess not.
My salary is set by statute. It's a great time. Mellow
Good thing the real equal pay act of 1968 is still in place.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(09-06-2017, 02:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My salary is set by statute. It's a great time. Mellow

I used to have a set pay and tabled increases based on years . I do not think I could go back to do that now.
(09-06-2017, 02:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Nope.  Guess not.

The fact that you keep posting in this thread is hilarious. When you actually stand up and make a fight for your pay rate then come back to us. Until then just keep taking whatever anyone will give you. You are probably the same guy paying sticker for his cars.
(09-06-2017, 03:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The fact that you keep posting in this thread is hilarious.   When you actually stand up and make a fight for your pay rate then come back to us.    Until then just keep taking whatever anyone will give you.   You are probably the same guy paying sticker for his cars.

That's very interesting spin and a quaint personal attack...that has zero to do with the thread, the topic, or what I posted.

Anyone with reading comprehension beyond 8th grade knows that is not what I said.  I said I don't play the game because I have done my research before I buy.  If someone wants to play I don't buy.  I've also never said whether I have negotiated for a raise.  I have.  After I proved my worth and had something to offer more than what the employer initially hired me for.

Which is why I've said, repeatedly, that unless an employee has something special to offer (all things being equal) each employee gets paid the same.

A certain business owner has said the same...unless the person asks for more.  And then only if...wait for it...they have something special to offer.

The fact that that is being ignored just to harang someone is telling.
(09-06-2017, 03:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's very interesting spin and a quaint personal attack...that has zero to do with the thread, the topic, or what I posted.

Anyone with reading comprehension beyond 8th grade knows that is not what I said.  I said I don't play the game because I have done my research before I buy.  If someone wants to play I don't buy.  I've also never said whether I have negotiated for a raise.  I have.  After I proved my worth and had something to offer more than what the employer initially hired me for.

Which is why I've said, repeatedly, that unless an employee has something special to offer (all things being equal) each employee gets paid the same.

A certain business owner has said the same...unless the person asks for more.  And then only if...wait for it...they have something special to offer.

The fact that that is being ignored just to harang someone is telling.

I am now convinced you have no idea the definition of negotiate or how to do it competently.

Here you go.

Negotiation- discussion aimed at reaching an agreement.

(09-06-2017, 03:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am now convinced you have no idea the definition of negotiate or how to do it competently.  

Here you go.

No one has denied what negotiation is...just when it is used.

As a business owner that should be obvious.
(09-06-2017, 02:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My salary is set by statute. It's a great time. Mellow

Depends on what time the statute was enacted.

In my company handbook it says that mileage reimbursement is based off federal business rates. The page was last updated in 1992.

Whopping 28 cents a mile. It's super exciting for the guy who drives about 600 miles a month in his personal car.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-06-2017, 05:00 PM)Benton Wrote: Depends on what time the statute was enacted.

In my company handbook it says that mileage reimbursement is based off federal business rates. The page was last updated in 1992.

Whopping 28 cents a mile. It's super exciting for the guy who drives about 600 miles a month in his personal car.

We had a close to decade long drought on raises in Virginia. We are currently the most poorly compensated public employees in the country. Accountants are compensated about 35% less than our private sector counterparts in the state. Municipal employees are paid better. Because of this we can't keep state troopers in the ranks, they run off to localities.
(09-06-2017, 05:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We had a close to decade long drought on raises in Virginia. We are currently the most poorly compensated public employees in the country. Accountants are compensated about 35% less than our private sector counterparts in the state. Municipal employees are paid better. Because of this we can't keep state troopers in the ranks, they run off to localities.

stop spending money on aerial speed monitoring! 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-06-2017, 05:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: stop spending money on aerial speed monitoring! 

you know, those signs are all over I-81 (which runs through my city), but I've never seen aircraft for speed monitoring.
(09-06-2017, 06:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: you know, those signs are all over I-81 (which runs through my city), but I've never seen aircraft for speed monitoring.

because you guys wasted the airplane budget on signs!
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-06-2017, 06:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: because you guys wasted the airplane budget on signs!

Probably can't keep Troopers around long enough to train to do the job since we don't pay them enough. Because we spent it all on signs!
(09-06-2017, 01:16 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If someone like you walks in who obviously has no idea how to negotiate for themselves then yes you will just sign the whatever is placed in front of you. Which begs the question how valuable are you in the first place.

Having skills is what separates applicants. It's also what separates people in pay and title.

Yet, despite knowing their worth, standing up for themselves, and I'm sure masterful, painstaking negotiations that would make Mr. Art of the Deal himself envious, THEY START OUT AT THE SAME RATE AS THE ONES WHO JUST SIGNED THE OFFER SHEET. Your words, not mine.

The level of bullshit has reached pathologic for quite some time now.
(09-06-2017, 03:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am now convinced you have no idea the definition of negotiate or how to do it competently.

Here you go.

And the results of all your new hire negotiations result in "all" your people receiving the "same" rate. So much for negotiating.
(09-06-2017, 04:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: No one has denied what negotiation is...just when it is used.

As a business owner that should be obvious.

You seem to not know or understand how or what happens in a compensation negotiation.

Which you have made clear to anyone reading this thread. I am sure you can find some beginners videos on YouTube or maybe you should invest in a Coach to help you figure it out.