Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor not ready to address benching Dalton..
(10-20-2019, 11:35 PM)samhain Wrote: I said in the preseason that the Lewis era would look like a golden age in fairly short order.  I didn't think it would be this soon.  

Marvin was done here, but he accomplished things that nobody has since the old man died in 91.  He may be remembered for frustrating the hell out of us in the last few years, but his teams actually gave us hope a few times.  They actually made me as "why not us?" through a couple of seasons.  

The most terrifying moment of the 2019 offseason was when Mike Brown said something to the effect of "we have more involvement than ever in the day to day operation of this team" when referencing the family.   I knew we were in trouble at that point.  Mavin was the regulating presence.  the voice of reason.  A football man among lawyers and money-grubbers.  

Well the Bengals management team meets with Taylor EVERY day. That's A LOT.

I kind of feel bad for Taylor. He has the Aww Shucks Opie Demeanor...but he's totally ruining his HC future after here.
Reply/Quote
He's right, the time to do it is after the bye.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 09:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think one thing that stops us is our Management seems to be ok with mediocrity. For all we know, they may run with Dalton next year.

Dalton is playing so poorly that he may force Mike Brown's lazy hand to get rid of him, but I still can't bet on it until I see it happen.  I can't help but feel like Finley isn't seen as a legit starting QB and/or Mike Brown is convinced this team is in win-now mode with Dalton and less injuries so he doesn't want to hit the reset button.

Basically, Mike Brown is lazy and deluded and that's a combination that could lead to Dalton for another year or more.  Dalton is a real QB (sorta) and he wants to be here so I don't see why Mike Brown would want to roll the dice and draft a QB who might cause a ruckus like Boomer and Palmer did.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:12 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton is playing so poorly that he may force Mike Brown's lazy hand to get rid of him, but I still can't bet on it until I see it happen.  I can't help but feel like Finley isn't seen as a legit starting QB and/or Mike Brown is convinced this team is in win-now mode with Dalton and less injuries so he doesn't want to hit the reset button.

Basically, Mike Brown is lazy and deluded and that's a combination that could lead to Dalton for another year or more.  Dalton is a real QB (sorta) and he wants to be here so I don't see why Mike Brown would want to roll the dice and draft a QB who might cause a ruckus like Boomer and Palmer did.

Because the stands will get emptier and emptier the longer we keep trotting Dalton out there.

A new QB brings excitement, and sells tickets.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 10:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Again, look at what Palmer did here vs what he did in AZ. He played much closer to an elite level there and went to an NFC title game...and that's not even a great franchise.

The Saints are a nice example. Probably the only example...but they also found a great HC on top of Brees. How many years will it take Mike Brown to catch that lightning in a bottle (coach and QB)? And would his family be willing to spend money in FA to put talent around such a QB? As much as we can compare histories, the Saints have been good with keeping talent around Brees.

Nah, the Saints were pretty damn good in the early 90s, and won in the playoffs before Brees. It's pretty much down to us, the Clowns, and Detroit. 

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Because the stands will get emptier and emptier the longer we keep trotting Dalton out there.

A new QB brings excitement, and sells tickets.

Again, I'm not saying Dalton should start and stay here but if we put Finley in there is a very good chance everyone is still finding better things to do with their sundays before you know it.  Remember, we were all fired up for the NEW DEY and that lasted about 3 weeks...so Finley, much like the 2019 season is probably only tempting as long as it remains in our minds and off the field.  Maybe we draft a QB high, but I'm not holding my breath because a QB drafted high might lack Dalton's zeal to waste his career in Cincy.

(10-20-2019, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well the Bengals management team meets with Taylor EVERY day. That's A LOT.

I kind of feel bad for Taylor. He has the Aww Shucks Opie Demeanor...but he's totally ruining his HC future after here.

ZT, Dalton, and AJ Green are three of our most high-profile pieces and they all have this sort of somewhat frustrated appearance, but they also put up a front that seems to romanticize the concept of staying loyal to a lazy failure of a franchise.  I don't expect them to throw a fit and demand trades or threaten to walk like Palmer and Chad and Marvin all did at various times, but this whole loyalty to failure is starting to look pathetic.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:19 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Nah, the Saints were pretty damn good in the early 90s, and won in the playoffs before Brees. It's pretty much down to us, the Clowns, and Detroit. 

The Saints never won jack shit before Brees. A playoff game here and there is not an accomplishment for most franchises.

They were known as a bad team forever.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Again, I'm not saying Dalton should start and stay here but if we put Finley in there is a very good chance everyone is still finding better things to do with their sundays before you know it.  Remember, we were all fired up for the NEW DEY and that lasted about 3 weeks...so Finley, much like the 2019 season is probably only tempting as long as it remains in our minds and off the field.  Maybe we draft a QB high, but I'm not holding my breath because a QB drafted high might lack Dalton's zeal to waste his career in Cincy.

ZT, Dalton, and AJ Green are three of our most high-profile pieces and they all have this sort of somewhat frustrated appearance, but they also put up a front that seems to romanticize the concept of staying loyal to a lazy failure of a franchise.  I don't expect them to throw a fit and demand trades or threaten to walk like Palmer and Chad and Marvin all did at various times, but this whole loyalty to failure is starting to look pathetic.

I’m not talking about Finley. He’s not selling tickets even if he plays well. I’m saying if they draft the 1OA.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Again, I'm not saying Dalton should start and stay here but if we put Finley in there is a very good chance everyone is still finding better things to do with their sundays before you know it.  Remember, we were all fired up for the NEW DEY and that lasted about 3 weeks...so Finley, much like the 2019 season is probably only tempting as long as it remains in our minds and off the field.  Maybe we draft a QB high, but I'm not holding my breath because a QB drafted high might lack Dalton's zeal to waste his career in Cincy.

Agreed, and anyone who buys a ticket just because the team starts a 4th Rd rookie QB behind this dumpster fire is either delusional or stupid....

Now if we traded for Watson or someone......

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well the Bengals management team meets with Taylor EVERY day. That's A LOT.

ZT, Dalton, and AJ Green are three of our most high-profile pieces and they all have this sort of somewhat frustrated appearance, but they also put up a front that seems to romanticize the concept of staying loyal to a lazy failure of a franchise.  I don't expect them to throw a fit and demand trades or threaten to walk like Palmer and Chad and Marvin all did at various times, but this whole loyalty to failure is starting to look pathetic.

He didn't want to change a thing when we were 4-12 and the biggest pieces of the franchise were revolting...right now we are bad bad bad but ZT and Dalton and AJ Green are all going to play nice and want to stay here.  You can understand why I'm skeptical Mike Brown is going to start voluntarilyy shaking things up.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:26 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Agreed, and anyone who buys a ticket just because the team starts a 4th Rd rookie QB behind this dumpster fire is either delusional or stupid....

Now if we traded for Watson or someone......

See my post above^

I thought it was obvious as Nately literally asked why Mike would draft a QB...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:26 AM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT, Dalton, and AJ Green are three of our most high-profile pieces and they all have this sort of somewhat frustrated appearance, but they also put up a front that seems to romanticize the concept of staying loyal to a lazy failure of a franchise.  I don't expect them to throw a fit and demand trades or threaten to walk like Palmer and Chad and Marvin all did at various times, but this whole loyalty to failure is starting to look pathetic.

He didn't want to change a thing when we were 4-12 and the biggest pieces of the franchise were revolting...right now we are bad bad bad but ZT and Dalton and AJ Green are all going to play nice and want to stay here.  You can understand why I'm skeptical Mike Brown is going to start voluntarilyy shaking things up.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Saints never won jack shit before Brees. A playoff game here and there is not an accomplishment for most franchises.

They've been a decent team ever since Jim Mora showed up man. Yes, they were horrible until their first winning season, which was in the late 80s. I was a kid then. I often said the Saints and Bucs will never win a Super Bowl before us, yet here we are.  

No need to be a smart ass, but you're wrong. After years of perennial losing, winning a playoff game here and there was a very big deal to Saints fans and that organization, and was the foundation for what they are today. Benson bought the team, hired Jim Finks as GM, who hired Mora as HC, and the turnaround started. I think you're really selling their accomplishment of winning a playoff game with Aaron Brooks (I think it was) at QB pretty short. After decades of losing, that was a pretty big deal. They let Mora go after he couldn't win in the postseason, had the whole Ditka mess, but they eventually found their way.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Saints never won jack shit before Brees. A playoff game here and there is not an accomplishment for most franchises.

The Aints didn't even become relevant until they changed owners.  We all know a bad owner can wreck things, but before the modern era a bad owner was just death to success.
Reply/Quote
The problem is this team has lost 16 out of last 18 games, the problem didn’t start this year, bad drafting since 2015 with to many mistakes and players getting older and not producing. Andy had his chance, 5 trips to the playoffs and we all saw what happened. The QB has to be able to extend the play and find someone open, and Andy is not that guy. He has blinders on and can’t feel or see the rush coming. Can’t avoid a one person rush, and can’t out run anyone. We need a mobile QB who can buy some time for receivers to get open. Time to move on.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not talking about Finley. He’s not selling tickets even if he plays well. I’m saying if they draft the 1OA.

Ok, but even then I'm not saying it's hopeless but there is a chance he doesn't want to be here and we stink (because we stink in so many ways) and he lacks Dalton' "aww shucks, I'm just happy to be employed!" act which took a whole decade to wear thin.  
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The Aints didn't even become relevant until they changed owners.  We all know a bad owner can wreck things, but before the modern era a bad owner was just death to success.

We currently have a bad owner, a bad HC, and a bad QB. The trifecta of suckage!

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We currently have a bad owner, a bad HC, and a bad QB. The trifecta of suckage!

Well, the NFL is designed to give franchises as equal a playing field as possible and we've managed to win 0 playoff games in the near 30 years Mike Brown has been in charge and we are a team that was sold as "win now" and we are 0-7.  It takes actual commitment to stink for so long and so consistently in the NFL.

ZT and Dalton both seem inferior to the guys they took over for, but it mattered even less before the Dalton era...the mind boggles.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, the NFL is designed to give franchises as equal a playing field as possible and we've managed to win 0 playoff games in the near 30 years Mike Brown has been in charge and we are a team that was sold as "win now" and we are 0-7.  It takes actual commitment to stink for so long and so consistently in the NFL.

ZT and Dalton both seem inferior to the guys they took over for, but it mattered even less before the Dalton era...the mind boggles.

Good ol Son of Paul:  Getting fans to turn on players and coaches since 1991. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 08:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: Good ol Son of Paul:  Getting fans to turn on players and coaches since 1991. Mellow

As we appoach the 4th decade of the Mike Brown era I have a good feeling about the crop of players. 
Reply/Quote