Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor not ready to address benching Dalton..
Never change horses midstream....

[Image: Oregon-Trail.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Never change horses midstream....

[Image: Oregon-Trail.gif]

Even if all the horses are dead before entering the stream..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wait, I thought an exciting young head coach with exciting new ideas was the thing to bring excitement and sell tickets.

Lalala

Indeed...we replaced boring ass Marvin with a new young exciting HC in the McVey mold and the seats are already buttless...I'm sure putting Finley in will excite people for a similar number of seconds.  Winning puts butts in seats so you've got to figure out how to win in front of nobody before people show up.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There must be some excuse. No AJ. Bad OL. Taylor. Turner. Bad chili. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:20 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: There must be some excuse. No AJ. Bad OL. Taylor. Turner. Bad chili. 

Inexperienced receivers running poor routes.

And bad chili.

Rolleyes

Reply/Quote
I need to watch the interview, but this is interesting. And I believe that if Dalton comes into Sundays game verses the Rams performing how he did at the end of Week 7s game vs JAX then I believe we could see Finley in the 3rd quarter. This is due to Finleys draft position and his performance in pre-season. Now I cant say how good he has performed in practice but I think the team is at the point where if Finley is doing well in practice Dalton could use a break at the very least.
I will also say that based on how this franchise does business and how they do not mind wasting time and wasting fans time and losing games, at the very least discussions have had to have started about giving Finley playing time.
[Image: 5Lx1vqY]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:20 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: There must be some excuse. No AJ. Bad OL. Taylor. Turner. Bad chili. 

Did you miss that Stafford, Goff, and Mahomes are on that list, too?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:33 PM)xEGDx Wrote: I need to watch the interview, but this is interesting.  

I am not going to go back through all six pages to see if anyone mentioned this, but Zach also says he will not commit to starting Dalton every game this year.

He has to be supportive of his best QB, but deep down he is realistic and knows it might be good to get a look at Finley. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:33 PM)xEGDx Wrote: I need to watch the interview, but this is interesting.  And I believe that if Dalton comes into Sundays game verses the Rams performing how he did at the end of Week 7s game vs JAX then I believe we could see Finley in the 3rd quarter.  This is due to Finleys draft position and his performance in pre-season.  Now I cant say how good he has performed in practice but I think the team is at the point where if Finley is doing well in practice Dalton could use a break at the very least.  
I will also say that based on how this franchise does business and how they do not mind wasting time and wasting fans time and losing games, at the very least discussions have had to have started about giving Finley playing time.

So you think Finley's 4th Round pedigree...makes him a prime target to replace Dalton should he falter?
Reply/Quote
Holy shit Trubisky is terrible lol

Imagine trading UP to take him at #2. Oof

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 06:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Holy shit Trubisky is terrible lol

Imagine trading UP to take him at #2. Oof

The fact that the Bears blew high 1st round picks on Kevin White and Turdbiscuit likely helped Bears fans not care how much they traded for Khalil Mack.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Indeed...we replaced boring ass Marvin with a new young exciting HC in the McVey mold and the seats are already buttless...I'm sure putting Finley in will excite people for a similar number of seconds.  Winning puts butts in seats so you've got to figure out how to win in front of nobody before people show up.

Tiger You mean like when they 6-0 in the AFCN or when they were 8-0 at home one time??? 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 06:32 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Taylor was asked about a QB change and his response was "im not ready to address that, it was a shitty game by Andy, no one wants to hear that after a piss poor performance, we'll go back and review the film"

Well, zac didn't exactly say those words, but pretty much. Wouldn't zac have a quick response of "No, absolutely not Andy is our guy" if he truly believed he was our guy. He sounds like he's questioning it.

So it sounds like there is a chance he is considering it. Please for the love of god this could be it! No more seeing the grit teeth after a pass is thrown to far on a deep ball like he needs more time to learn on how to throw it. No more seeing Andy stand back there like a statue or look for a place to fall. No more passes that go 10 yards over the receivers head out of bounds. No more eyeing the reciever down to where it gets batted down 15 times a game. No more of him getting away from pressure only to throw it away. Keep your head up everybody. I think something's about ready to happen! I can hear it now.. (ding dong the witch is dead!)

We have to see what Finley is all about so we can decide what we do in the draft. Andy ain't the man, he's not a man in the first place, he's the biggest girl I've ever seen in the pocket. Time to move on. Trade em or do something. Finley moves in the pocket and is CALM!  Let's do this BENCH ANDY'S SORRY ASS

Taylor has gotta know he has a horrible OL and Dalton just may be the best QB to put out there and try to win a game.

Or, maybe Taylor doesn't really know he has a horrible OL, in which case, he has no business being a HC.

Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor might not be willing to publicly address the subject of benching Andy Dalton but that doesn’t mean he isn’t thinking about it. In fact, I promise Zac IS thinking about it and it’s a matter of when, not if. My personal opinion is he’s waiting to see more consistently efficient offensive line play before putting Ryan Finley back there.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 12:02 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor might not be willing to publicly address the subject of benching Andy Dalton but that doesn’t mean he isn’t thinking about it.  In fact, I promise Zac IS thinking about it and it’s a matter of when, not if.  My personal opinion is he’s waiting to see more consistently efficient offensive line play before putting Ryan Finley back there.

Well, it won't be this year then.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 12:09 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, it won't be this year then.

That’s exactly right. All of us need to calm down and understand Andy Dalton will start every game this season. I don’t like this any more than anyone else but living in reality is usually the best way to go.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 10:39 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s exactly right.  All of us need to calm down and understand Andy Dalton will start every game this season.  I don’t like this any more than anyone else but living in reality is usually the best way to go.

Coaches can only function properly if they are playing to win.  I believe that Zach is convinced that Dalton gives him the best chance to win.  Our offense is the worst I have ever seen.  Our running game is not just bad, it is on pace to be the worst in modern NFL history, and our pass protection is so poor that Dalton is getting rid of the ball faster than any other QB in the league.  The coaching staff has no answers.

Dalton is starting to look like he is breaking with the rest of the offense.  He only had 28 games with a passer rating under 65 in his first 122 starts, but he has had 4 in his last 5.  Teams are stuffing our run without extra defenders in the box.  There is zero threat of play action and, Dalton is constantly looking at third and long instead of a manageable 3rd and 4 or less.  Two of our starting WRs are out with injury and we hardly throw to our TEs anymore.  I honestly doubt any QB would do very well in this situation.  I was very pleased with the way Finley performed in the preseason, but I don't see him doing very well starting under these conditions.

But as much as Zach wants to concentrate on winning I also think he realizes that if we get to 0-12 or something like that it would be time to look at Finley.  You all know I am a big supporter of Dalton, but I would have no problem with them starting Finley.  He would probably look just as shitty as Dalton, but I don't think that would crush his spirit.  The fans would not be that hard on him because no one would expect a fourth round rookie to be able to do anything with this mess.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 11:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Coaches can only function properly if they are playing to win.  I believe that Zach is convinced that Dalton gives him the best chance to win.  Our offense is the worst I have ever seen.  Our running game is not just bad, it is on pace to be the worst in modern NFL history, and our pass protection is so poor that Dalton is getting rid of the ball faster than any other QB in the league.  The coaching staff has no answers.

Dalton is starting to look like he is breaking with the rest of the offense.  He only had 28 games with a passer rating under 65 in his first 122 starts, but he has had 4 in his last 5.  Teams are stuffing our run without extra defenders in the box.  There is zero threat of play action and, Dalton is constantly looking at third and long instead of a manageable 3rd and 4 or less.  Two of our starting WRs are out with injury and we hardly throw to our TEs anymore.  I honestly doubt any QB would do very well in this situation.  I was very pleased with the way Finley performed in the preseason, but I don't see him doing very well starting under these conditions.

But as much as Zach wants to concentrate on winning I also think he realizes that if we get to 0-12 or something like that it would be time to look at Finley.  You all know I am a big supporter of Dalton, but I would have no problem with them starting Finley.  He would probably look just as shitty as Dalton, but I don't think that would crush his spirit.  The fans would not be that hard on him because no one would expect a fourth round rookie to be able to do anything with this mess.

As bad as the Oline has been--and it's been "better" lately--probably the biggest problem with the offense is Green and Ross being out. There's no one with a threat to stretch the field and it's allowed the defense to play closer to the LOS. Combine that with bad run blocking and you have...poop. 

I doubt it would make a huge difference, but i do think it would make a noticeable difference as the year went on. 

The frustrating part of this team, and i don't know if it's more play call or QB is, Dalton hasn't been terrible all over the field. He's been very good on passes 0-10 yds to the right and middle 67/88 542 3/1 97.8 and 20+ yds outside left 3/6 126 1/0 135.4. Their best rushing production is behind LT and LG where they're averaging 4.3 and 7.2 per rush, but they've only attempted a total of 16 rushes there. Their most attempts are middle right and right end where they've attempted 23 rushes for each but only averaged 1.7 and 2.6 there. 

I have to wonder if anyone on the staff studies this and tries to taylor (no pun intended) the offense to these strengths. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote